The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Where is everyone farming Dreugh Wax?

• Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you are on PC get harvest maps, setup the pins, and run between nodes on your way to quest objectives. This is helpful if you are still leveling but works well for ALL daily quests. I almost never farm and I have over 10k raw mates of most everything, doing nothing but this. If you want to farm try the starter zones, all though any zone is good once you know how the nodes are laid out.

This ^ Once you know your farm path you can pull in about 10000 mats a week on a dense zone. You can double that with a dedicated effort. 1 to 2 hrs farming a day will do the 10000 once you are proficent.
  • shimm
    shimm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Farm money -> buy dreugh wax.

So much this... especially on PC (there’s more of everything, and it’s always cheaper than consoles). I can do 2 dungeons in about 20 minutes and get enough money (usually) to buy 1 dreugh wax (on Xbox, where it’s usually 8k). Gathering enough material for 1 would take over an hour.

• SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    aaisoaho wrote: »
    It seems to me you might think dreugh wax drops from dreughs - if that is the case, I'm sorry to inform you, it does not drop from dreughs.

I farmed dreughs for a solid two hours before I thought to look up where dreugh wax dropped.

Yeah. I just thought it was mega rare....

• Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me you might think dreugh wax drops from dreughs - if that is the case, I'm sorry to inform you, it does not drop from dreughs.

I farmed dreughs for a solid two hours before I thought to look up where dreugh wax dropped.

Ouch. I actually feel bad for you.
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    I farm mine doing daily writs... always have plenty.

This
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do not already have a stockpile of mats, farming is a good way to get started. Also, do your writs, everyday, on as many characters as possible. Not only will that add to your stockpile but you will also start accumulating gold. It can be a bit of a process to get characters up to crafting level 50 on all 7 (I suggest also researching traits and deconning everything you come across that you will not use). For my 12 characters that i do writs on, I only have like 1 100% done (9 traits resesarched on everything, gets all motifs, gets all recipes and furniture plans). The rest are all working there way to 8 traits on everything and get bare minimum on the recipes etc. Maybe 4 are at level 50 on all/most crafting, the rest are still in progress.

If you are going to go farming, consider what zones you want to focus on. Which zones drop anything special? Craglorn you get nirncrux. Summerset has the 2 new alchemy items. Regular zones you can get the dust. Maybe you want to farm specific gear while you are at it - pick up all chests along your path while you are there.

Then of course, after a time, you will start having that overwhelming supply of surveys to go deal with from doing your writs. Once you get to that point, farming for mats becomes a non issue. The only thing I ever find myself low on these days are some lower level enchanting mats, which I just buy, to do my daily writs with.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Skwor wrote: »

Ouch. I actually feel bad for you.

LOL it's my own damn fault for sitting there farming and not thinking earlier that I should google.

But really... DREUGH wax??? Y no drop from dreugh?
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    I've been trying to find places where groups would be farming mobs for scraps, but everywhere I go is dead and is inefficient to be killing them all myself. Where are the majority of people farming for their wax now?

Aside from writs and survey's, if you have a build that can solo dungeons, that's the easiest way I've found to do it if you're looking to not compete with others killing mobs.

Blackheart Haven, for example, has a lot of harpies that drop scraps. (Even though you can't solo the last boss. I've seen videos of werewolves being able to, but that was long ago.) You can even get a decent amount in FG1 from all the Dreugh there.
    Just some examples. Find a easy dungeon with lots of beasties, and run it. Also a good way to make gold by vendoring everything else.

Or, theres usually cat farm trains running in The Rift. Just shout out in chat.

First couple rooms of Wayrest Sewers was a place I used to farm when getting Rubedo mats was much more difficult. Farm rats up to the 1st boss, leave, reset, repeat.

But writs, and surveys from writ rewards, is all I do these days.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying to find places where groups would be farming mobs for scraps, but everywhere I go is dead and is inefficient to be killing them all myself. Where are the majority of people farming for their wax now?

I get most of my gold mats from refining materials, they drop fairly consistently ...
    shades.gif
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to me you might think dreugh wax drops from dreughs - if that is the case, I'm sorry to inform you, it does not drop from dreughs. You get crafting improvement materials from:
    - daily crafting writs (you get these quests from writ boards after you've done the crafting certification quest)
    - Refining raw materials
    - deconstructing items (this is very inefficient way to get them, if you're after dreugh wax)

Fun fact, there was a time when killing a Dreugh did have a chance to drop dreugh wax ...
    shades.gif

• RodneyRegis
    RodneyRegis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you pronounce dreugh? Dru? Dreff? Drow? Drur?
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best way to farm any gold mat is to do writs. I have thousands of gold mats, and other than an occasional purchase at well below market value, I have never bought one. I also never hesitate to use them. I essentially dont play in gear that isnt gold, and I have 15 toons. Point is, you will have more than you ever need. My craft bag MM is well into the 8 figure value range, and I simply dont farm mats.

Your second best way to farm gold mats is to farm gold and haggle in the streets. Killing mud crabs or whatever is just not all that efficient these days as far as I can tell.

It's also a great rule of thumb in this game. If there is something you need that can be acquired via gold, you are almost never better off farming that item directly. Instead, farm gold in whatever means you are best at, and then buy the item in the market.

That brings us back full circle to doing writs, because there is no more efficient way that I am aware of to farm gold faster than doing writs everyday. Like my MM on my craft bag, my bank account is well over 8 figures, and I dont actively do anything else to make gold. The downside is of course that you can only do so much in a given day, but if you did 15 writs (about an hour a day) for a month, you would have created more total wealth than really anything else I can think of for the same 30 hour time investment.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on April 30, 2019 6:06PM
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you pronounce dreugh? Dru? Dreff? Drow? Drur?

Dreg. Like the remnants of a liquid left in a container, together with any sediment or grounds.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

It seems to me you might think dreugh wax drops from dreughs - if that is the case, I'm sorry to inform you, it does not drop from dreughs. You get crafting improvement materials from:
    - daily crafting writs (you get these quests from writ boards after you've done the crafting certification quest)
    - Refining raw materials
    - deconstructing items (this is very inefficient way to get them, if you're after dreugh wax)

Fun fact, there was a time when killing a Dreugh did have a chance to drop dreugh wax ...
    shades.gif

I wonder how much wax is out there sitting on abandon accounts. I had a buddy from way back that from what I can tell spent nearly all his time killing dreughs and farming wax. He had several thousand, and this was before craft bags. Haha

Then of course, after a time, you will start having that overwhelming supply of surveys to go deal with from doing your writs. Once you get to that point, farming for mats becomes a non issue. The only thing I ever find myself low on these days are some lower level enchanting mats, which I just buy, to do my daily writs with.

Over the first week of the anniversary event, I broke 1k surveys in my bank. At some point, you realize you dont really need any more mats. :smile:
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 1, 2019 3:54PM
  • jarrandub17_ESO
    jarrandub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I still refine the old school way to bump up the numbers.

1. Go to a guild hall with lots of tables, that are spread out decently.
    2. Start on a corner table, Refine 1-5 times of any items...NO MORE THAN 5.
    3. Pack up, run to another table on the other side of the crafting area, not right next to where you were.
    4. Refine 1-5 times.
    5. Rinse and Repeat.

The last test I did to see if this was still the case produced these results:

800 rubidite ore - refined all in one sitting = 3 Tempers
    800 rubidite ore - refined in stages above = 6 Tempers

300 Ancestor Silk - refined all in one sitting = 2 Wax
    300 Ancestor Silk - refined in stages above = 5 Wax

This could all be pure wives tale legends of old, but I stick to the method and it sure seems like I walk away with more. Good Luck
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get a decent amount from everyday stuff
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    lardvader wrote: »
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    I farm mine doing daily writs... always have plenty.

This

Agree - writs are the fastest way to get gold mats.

I do them on 5 toons and the intricates from the max level toons is enough to level others without any other effort.

Guaranteed gold tempers pretty much every day with more coming.

Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daily writs are your best bet. As far as I know its the best time for money investment you can make. I do the writs on 10 toons every day.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gatviper wrote: »
    I get like 5 dreugh wax out of thousand clothier material. Though my primary source of raw material is surveys, I currently have 260+ surveys I need to collect, will go and collect as soon as I hit 1000 surveys B)

Whats a survey? I've just started playing again, I remember writs but not surveys.
    DocDova wrote: »

Surveys are random drops from doing daily writs. They look like treasure maps. When you go to the location there will be 6 nodes of that type and you receive a larger amount for every node than normal.

Be aware, there be monsters out there, sometimes near them