The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Questions about what I saw in Cyrodiil this week

Casdha
Casdha
✭✭✭✭✭
First I enjoy going into Cyrodiil from time to time and it doesn't bother me to die in this game, actually it's expected as I'm usually going Solo.

1. I'm pretty sure that crossed swords used to show up on your map anytime someone was fighting in Cyrodiil sometimes even just being in close proximity to a stealthed player, Has this Changed?
2. If it has not changed then why does the crossed swords symbol not seem to show up on a map if the players that are fighting are in a building inside one of the cities?
3. Why does it seem that the NPCs have two or three times the detection radius for a stealthed player as compared to a regular player? (faction controlled cities you can't sneak into a building if you don't have control of the nearest flag because of NPCs guarding it)
4. Why does it seem that if you get around certain players that ping and frame rates go to crap? Could it be some type of add-on they are running being in conflict with one you are running?
5. Why do some town no longer seem to have markers on the map, I was pretty sure that they use to? (example Cheydinhal) ( I know there are two forms of the map depending on how and where you look they weren't on either)
Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    1. I'm pretty sure that crossed swords used to show up on your map anytime someone was fighting in Cyrodiil sometimes even just being in close proximity to a stealthed player, Has this Changed?
    Crossed swords don't appear merely because you're near a stealthed player. Swords are an indicator of combat, but may not be completely reliable. They are for finding fights more than avoiding them.
    3. Why does it seem that the NPCs have two or three times the detection radius for a stealthed player as compared to a regular player? (faction controlled cities you can't sneak into a building if you don't have control of the nearest flag because of NPCs guarding it)
    Certain NPCs have stealth detection -- but they do not detect invisible players.
    4. Why does it seem that if you get around certain players that ping and frame rates go to crap? Could it be some type of add-on they are running being in conflict with one you are running?
    It is unlikely it would have anything to do with their addons, but it's definitely possible your addons are contributing to performance issues. The general rule in Cyrodiil is to use as few addons as necessary.
    Edited by zyk on April 23, 2019 8:52PM
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I enjoy going into Cyrodiil from time to time and it doesn't bother me to die in this game, actually it's expected as I'm usually going Solo.

5. Why do some town no longer seem to have markers on the map, I was pretty sure that they use to? (example Cheydinhal) ( I know there are two forms of the map depending on how and where you look they weren't on either)

On your map, you can go to the filter tabs and turn on "objectives" (I think that's what is called), it is off by default in Cyrodiil.

• Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s been awhile, but there used to be a small handful of players that caused my client to lag really hard when I was near them, which cleared up as soon as they died. My potato machine definitely loses frame rate around players with a lot of visual effects on them (sorcs with pets/lightning form, for example), which could be what you’re experiencing.
    Edited by Marcus684 on April 23, 2019 9:49PM
  • Bazeric
    Bazeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    It is unlikely it would have anything to do with their addons, but it's definitely possible your addons are contributing to performance issues. The general rule in Cyrodiil is to use as few addons as necessary.

I want to believe this, but recently nuked my addons and playing clean and it still happens, even though my computer doesn't break a sweat with this game.

Looking for broken things in hopes they may be fixed. I've given up, my game literally works differently from yours.
    64M+ AP across 9 toons... kinda makes me a GO
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bazeric wrote: »
    I want to believe this, but recently nuked my addons and playing clean and it still happens, even though my computer doesn't break a sweat with this game.

I'm not saying addons are the cause of all performance issues, but they certainly *can* be a major cause of performance issues. LUA is single threaded and addon authors aren't necessarily good coders.

There are an array of performance issues in Cyrodiil. So many that it can be difficult to discern between them. Because of the influx of art assets and the addition of the outfit system over the past couple of years, ESO can really struggle with asset management. It does not maximize system ram, so it constantly cycles assets in and out of memory. This causes a lot of stutter. IMO, pre-haswell intel cpus will feel it more because of meltdown/spectre mitigations.

Beyond that, there's also a 30-50% FPS drop bug that's been an issue since 2.2 and other misc issues that can

And finally, even if your client performance is perfect, Cyrodiil server lag can result in client stutter.

I'm not sure if you're implying there is an addon cheat that causes the clients of other players to stutter. It's theoretically for an attack of that nature to exist, but unlikely and cannot be presumed to exist without evidence.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bazeric wrote: »

I'm not saying addons are the cause of all performance issues, but they certainly *can* be a major cause of performance issues. LUA is single threaded and addon authors aren't necessarily good coders.

There are an array of performance issues in Cyrodiil. So many that it can be difficult to discern between them. Because of the influx of art assets and the addition of the outfit system over the past couple of years, ESO can really struggle with asset management. It does not maximize system ram, so it constantly cycles assets in and out of memory. This causes a lot of stutter. IMO, pre-haswell intel cpus will feel it more because of meltdown/spectre mitigations.

Beyond that, there's also a 30-50% FPS drop bug that's been an issue since 2.2 and other misc issues that can

And finally, even if your client performance is perfect, Cyrodiil server lag can result in client stutter.

I'm not sure if you're implying there is an addon cheat that causes the clients of other players to stutter. It's theoretically for an attack of that nature to exist, but unlikely and cannot be presumed to exist without evidence.

Rig was I7 8700, 16gb ram, GTX 1070, and dedicated SSD for ESO.

Im not sure implied is correct but I have wondered. I've also had this happen standing around the battle grounds quest giver. Someone comes through to drop off quests and server goes to crap and it clears up as soon as they are out of sight. Might be coincidence but it still makes me wonder.

As far as the crossed swords thing, I admit that it has been a long time since beta but me and some friends on different factions tested this out on purpose while using Teamspeak. If we were together all stealthed the crossed swords would show up even if we were not fighting. We were also testing to see how feasible it was to have a spy that could report stealthed and invisible player locations, figuring out who could see who and when. It is entirely possible that the sword thing has changed since then but back then we could see swords before you got the players you couldn't see out of stealth. That was just 3 of us testing this out on each other and also reporting about random players that would pass by that all of us could not see.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%