The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Groups were just fine before dungeon finder came along

GeorgeBlack
GeorgeBlack
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
The whole community managed to form groups for pledges just by using the /zone chat
I am tired of the broken function and the silence in zone chat. Guilds cannot always form groups but if the group finder did not exist people woud socialize and group up instead of trying to queue.

Simply remove the function
Edited by GeorgeBlack on April 23, 2019 7:05PM
  • todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Add trials to Finder
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    todokete wrote: »
    No. Add trials to Finder

Finder not found
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game launched with a group finder that included dungeons so not sure what OP is talking about.

I will provide a history for those that may have been challenged finding the original GF.

You selected the specific dungeon you wanted to do. For vet that was simple as we only had 6 vet dungeons. As soon as there were at least two people in queue for the same dungeon it formed a group. In other words it often formed a group of two DD to wait endlessly for a tank or healer. We were able to invite people to the group to finish the group.

Occasionally it would form a full group but rarely.

So yea, we have always had a GF. It was just so pathetic people stopped using it. Matt should be embarrassed he allowed it to be showcased pre-launch as something good let alone allow it to go live. It was as though it was a failed project from a middle school intern. LMAO remembering how pitiful it was.

Edit: I will say that OP is right that we used to be able to form groups just fine as we had to. Many of us still do so I do not know why the rest have issues.

I will also add that with the approximately 18 months the current GF has had this major issue and still not fixed that they must still have that middle school intern working for them as there is no other excuse they cannot figure this out.

I think I have an idea why it is happening. Both dungeons and BGs GF use the same resource for forming groups and it is overloading it. It would be easiest to duplicate the service and have one for dungeons and one for BGs to take the load off. All this started with BGs being added.
    Edited by idk on April 23, 2019 7:21PM
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember people hanging around outside the entrance to dungeons asking people passing by if they wanted to join in. My healer got into a lot of group dungeons while farming mats.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dungeon finder works fine... most of the time. If I tank it's instant, if I heal I'll probably get something in 10 minutes, and if I'm DPS I'll do something to pass the time (30+ minute wait especially for a specific dungeon).
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it’s so fun and modern to spend one’s limited gaming hour(s) shouting in zone chat and getting the same randos you’d get anyway in 5m through a queue. Sooooo fun!

Unless you’re an unemployed teenager, this kind of assault on a person’s time is nothing but offensive.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on April 24, 2019 9:25AM
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It should be made better not removed. :)
  • BrianLovesLisa
    BrianLovesLisa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it works fine zos can't fix players not wanting to be a tank or healer.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing that needs to be done is for it to work during peak hours. Besides that it works great now.

Of course for DDs, not sure what Zos can do to help them since most tanks worth their salt avoid random groups vis GF as they end up in decent guilds with decent players to run dungeons with.
  • Intextio
    Intextio
    ✭✭✭
    No. Add trials to Finder

Never. Trials should never be in the group finder.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Add trials to Finder

Haha..... no

If zos has a hard time getting dungeon finder to work with 4 ppl, how are they gonna possibly make it work 12?

Fake tanks and healers all over the place if the queue actually matches people
    Edited by SoLooney on April 23, 2019 9:40PM
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate one less thing being spammed in chat...except the DPS who do to skip the queue.
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    GF seems to work for me ok - given that I am a DD and use it to run pledges and the occasional vet Scalecaller run - you have to wait but that’s OK - I can work on my house till it pops. NP.

That said I miss the days back when Mournhold would have lots of players LFG - you got to know solid players and could look out for them in Mournhold to shoot a whisper or invite to.

So you could easily put together a solid group.

With GF, the groups are totally random and I can’t think of a particular player I’ve seen twice.
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    😐 I remember those days....

"LF Healer Templar only"

Nope I like the current system.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

The only thing that needs to be done is for it to work during peak hours. Besides that it works great now.

Of course for DDs, not sure what Zos can do to help them since most tanks worth their salt avoid random groups vis GF as they end up in decent guilds with decent players to run dungeons with.

I would like to see an option you can select that would allow you to group without following the group dynamic. So if four DPS all decided they didn't care what roles they got in the group they could potentially all end up in a group together. They would also be part of the queue for the standard group run so it wouldn't dilute the pool any. They would go with which ever was available first.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Sometimes I just want to do a quick dungeon without begging for a group in chat for 30 minutes. If you don't like the dungeon finder, then don't use it, but don't ruin it for everybody else.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

"LF Healer Templar only"

I healed leaderboard runs in trials on a Sorc. I healed all 6 vet dungeons on a Sorc, regularly, and the vet dungeons added early in the game. No issues finding groups.
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember trying desperately to find groups to do spindleclutch. I spent an hour outside of it fishing, asking in zone chat, asking everyone who came up to it, nothing. I was healer. It was like that for the first year I played ESO until 1 tamriel came out and then dungeon finder.

I agree that the sentiment of people talking and communicating more is admirable, but that's not how it was; take off the rose tinted glasses.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Zavijah
    Zavijah
    ✭✭✭
    How about you form your own group, OP and mind less what other people choose to do?
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. You go ahead and find groups in zone chat while the rest of us actually run dungeons
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"LF Healer Templar only"

I healed leaderboard runs in trials on a Sorc. I healed all 6 vet dungeons on a Sorc, regularly, and the vet dungeons added early in the game. No issues finding groups.

😜 I have more than a Sorc now. My point was before they fixed group finder things were just nasty for someone learning.
    Edited by Tasear on April 24, 2019 3:04AM
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get why they resorted to group finder. Just like wow...

Problem with it is that it does eliminate the social aspect of chat.

Original Everquest never had a group finder and due the nature of the game people created groups and organized themselves. It worked much better imo.

Spamming chat with nonsense was much less prevalent as people actually used chat to play the game.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"LF Healer Templar only"

😜 I have more than a Sorc now. My point was before they fixed group finder things were just nasty for someone learning.

That is only with some groups, if we are talking about 4 man dungeons. If you are in a decent guild you can avoid all that to begin with. When forming for dungeon runs in my raid guild no one asks or cares what you are healing on, as long as you can do some dps, lol
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don’t use it but that doesn’t mean it should be removed. If you don’t like it, don’t use it but don’t take away the option for people who do use it, that makes no sense.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, zone chat sucks. Group finder sucks, too, but at least the devs can try to fix it.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember people hanging around outside the entrance to dungeons asking people passing by if they wanted to join in. My healer got into a lot of group dungeons while farming mats.

Ha :) another old timer here :)

Edited by p_tsakirisb16_ESO on April 24, 2019 6:06AM
  • Sp1dHQ
    Sp1dHQ
    ✭✭✭
    Artim_X wrote: »
    Dungeon finder works fine... most of the time. If I tank it's instant, if I heal I'll probably get something in 10 minutes, and if I'm DPS I'll do something to pass the time (30+ minute wait especially for a specific dungeon).

Nice story, but unfortunately in this happens only outside of primetime. In the evening even as a tank you will spam F button for 30 min to get into dungeon.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it works fine zos can't fix players not wanting to be a tank or healer.

t doesn't work at all. it was impossible for me to join battlegrounds yesterday. I left after an hour of a declining bug and there is no other way to play bgs except grouping tool.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Add trials to Finder
    Yeah... It is kinda wierd. You have an PvE end game content in your game that is not being supported by a "Match Maker" (group finder) ? Why is that ? I can go and do end game PvP just fine, even though I am not in a guild or group. Even when ZOS added Battlegrounds to the game, they also added group finder support.
    So why arenas & trials dont have that ? Even the basic options (such as treating 4 - man arenas as 4 man dungeons or 12 man trials as 3x 4 man dungeons) would work for normal mode. So it is not like some new highly complecated algoritms are needed.

And when it comes to manually search group by chat, it wont work for everyone. Why for example would you pick NB tank when you can pick DK tank ? Or Why would you pick sorc healer when there is some one on chat that is a templar healer ?

And what if you happen to be one of such a setup (like nb tank) and you are really good at it ? You wont be able to do certain portion of content on your main just because of that.

There is also another thing.
    I remember farming gear in one of the dungeons. It took me literaly 154 runs to find a gear I wanted. Now tell me, what is the probabilty to find a group of ppl that will be willing to do 1 dungeon 150 times in a row ? Especially if you run non meta class & race combo for a specific role ? I have better chance trying to solo the dungeons am I ?
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All good and well.
    The feature doesnt work. How about that?