The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagDK Non-CP - A few questions about max resources and sets

md3788
md3788
✭✭✭
At the moment I’m running 5/1/1 light:
5x fortified brass - impen
2x blood spawn – impen/sturdy
5x BSW – sharpened inferno/sword and board & Jewels
Prismatic glyphs on the large pieces, the rest max Magicka. 2 arcane, 1 protective jewel with spell damage glyphs (I plan on going 3 arcane I just need another ring).
Stats with tri-stat food, major ward/resolve, tripots, & major sorc.
28.2k Magicka
22.1k Health
15.8k Stam
2689 Spell Damage (around 3700 with weapon damage and BSW proc)
7636 Spell Penetration

My goal was high survivability and high damage in light armor.
1. Spinners vs BSW – I see spinners everywhere but I couldn’t find a reason to run spinners over BSW. I just run a sharpened staff and have similar pen but much higher spell damage (when proc’d) which buffs heals. Am I overlooking something
2. Are my max resources too low? I’ve heard my Magicka is too low and I don’t know of any other way to increase it. The only thing I can think of is front bar inner light and meteor for the mages guild passives. Getting another Arcane ring will also help.

Overall I'm liking the build, just trying to fine tune it now.
vFG1 HM
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    LDs9DG9.jpg
    vFG1 HM
  • Janoy
    Janoy
    ✭✭
    Is that 1,052 mag recovery? That seems incredibly low.
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    Janoy wrote: »
    Is that 1,052 mag recovery? That seems incredibly low.

It is. I was experimenting with different foods and here was tri-stat. Usually I run Witchmothers. Between elemental drain always being on my target, battle roar, careful management of buffs, and the occasional heavy attack I have been able to sustain with tri-stat but I'll likely still go back to Witchmothers
    Edited by md3788 on April 22, 2019 4:59PM
    vFG1 HM
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. I prefer BSW over spinners but some others disagree. You have higher damage spikes with BSW vs a more consistent damage pattern with spinners. The average comes out to be about the same over time. As you said, BSW also adds to your healing and, another thing to note, adds a separate burning effect for more damage.

2. Some like higher max stat but it is up to preference. I run about 27k max mag in noCP and feel comfortable. That said, if you are running harness, you might want higher max mag. You could try changing mundus if you want to take the hit to sustain.

I prefer nirn over sharpened for my fire staff. I like the increased healing.

You have a solid build. The only thing you could change is your defensive set or skills. Brass is solid. Have you considered running spell power pots and opening a slot for another skill? It's what I currently do.
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    1. I prefer BSW over spinners but some others disagree. You have higher damage spikes with BSW vs a more consistent damage pattern with spinners. The average comes out to be about the same over time. As you said, BSW also adds to your healing and, another thing to note, adds a separate burning effect for more damage.

2. Some like higher max stat but it is up to preference. I run about 27k max mag in noCP and feel comfortable. That said, if you are running harness, you might want higher max mag. You could try changing mundus if you want to take the hit to sustain.

I prefer nirn over sharpened for my fire staff. I like the increased healing.

You have a solid build. The only thing you could change is your defensive set or skills. Brass is solid. Have you considered running spell power pots and opening a slot for another skill? It's what I currently do.

@BlackMadara Yes. I've considered and i may revisit it. In the past I ran tri-pots for for the burst heal, but now that I'm tankier I may switch to power pots since bar space is tough to manage on this build. I also normally don't run harness and run engulfing instead but I wanted to try it out. Still not sure if the loss of the extra dot and fire damage for a shield is worth it or not. What skill would you recommend in place of molten armaments?
    vFG1 HM
  • Janoy
    Janoy
    ✭✭
    @BlackMadara @md3788

I also believe the burn proc from BSW works on dunmer’s, despite their passive resist to burn (not the SD increase, the actual damaging burn status). It’s not like it matters too much, just figured I’d add that.
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    @md3788 my bar is similar to yours overall, and I've been using your Molten arm slot as a flex for choking talons, inhale, cinder storm, or meditate. I've been leaning more towards meditate lately. You can mediate while cc immune and you get major protection, which is almost like blocking. I'm going to try out inhale when the buffs go live.

@Janoy another beauty of the set. People underestimate the damage of burning proc. With BSW, you can 2 separate burning procs. Alongside burning embers and engulfing flames, that is a lot of DoT.
    Edited by BlackMadara on April 22, 2019 8:59PM