Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Combat Prayer always worth using?

rosy_ariete
rosy_ariete
✭✭✭
I was wondering if in a group of players is stil useful casting combat prayer or not. What do you think?
  • Praeficere
    Praeficere
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're in a dungeon it might be worth replacing prayer for a damage skill since dungeon bosses tend to melt fast. If you're in a Trial, you should double cast it every 6 seconds so it catches everyone since it can only hit 6 people per cast.
    Though the shadow has moved not,
    A thousand miles I’ve passed –
    Ageless as the mountains but forgetting not the past.

Are you Resolute?
    PC EU Progression Guild
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, as already stated it is very much a standard for trials and never leave home without it.

For 4 man dungeons I tend find there is not enough healing to keep my busy unless I am with a really bad group so I tend to use some DD skills and have a solid burst heal in an emergency such as BoL or twilight. If I am not on a character with either then I might use CP just for the heal portion.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a very short buff, not cheap and has significant positional limitations. So it depends on the type of healing you're doing. Most of my healer's work is overland and pug dungeons where she does not encounter groups who are coordinated enough to cooperate with positioning in front of her or even letting her position behind them. So to hit everyone she would have to cast it several times (expensive) and that goes back to the short duration. Finally, most of the dps she works with are not high dps so +8% of low dps is not an impressive buff.

So my healer does not slot it. If she ran with a coordinated and experienced group using voice comm, then it would probably make sense to slot it. It's not that combat prayer is a bad skill, it is just that in my opinion for pugs and not fully coordinated groups there are better choices to put in those 10 preciously few slots.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • luccerton
    luccerton
    ✭✭
    For coordinated trial groups, yes. For pugs or dungeon groups, no imo.
    Also known as pyroxius, fanatic twitch fan and youtube content creator!
    https://youtube.com/channel/UC5o2wbJtblWL3v5FRaoiNkA?view_as=subscriber
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoever stands behind the healer gets no heals anyway, therefore combat prayer good heal.
    Edited by zvavi on March 28, 2019 12:06PM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Praeficere wrote: »
    If you're in a dungeon it might be worth replacing prayer for a damage skill since dungeon bosses tend to melt fast. If you're in a Trial, you should double cast it every 6 seconds so it catches everyone since it can only hit 6 people per cast.

It's horrifying that anyone would think that keeping a 6 second buff up on players would be "fun". Let alone having to double cast it to catch everyone.

Would the sadist who designed this morph like to step forward?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »

It's horrifying that anyone would think that keeping a 6 second buff up on players would be "fun". Let alone having to double cast it to catch everyone.

DPS have to keep track of dots that range from 6-15 seconds, tanks have to keep track of taunt, which lasts for 12-15 seconds and heroic slashes minor heroism, which last for 12 seconds, etc etc. Every have timers that they have to pay attention to.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS have to keep track of dots that range from 6-15 seconds, tanks have to keep track of taunt, which lasts for 12-15 seconds and heroic slashes minor heroism, which last for 12 seconds, etc etc. Every have timers that they have to pay attention to.

Oh my.

Pressing a button cos a timer has run down is not going to qualify as fun for most people. Especially in a game which threw cooldowns out the window. Seriously.

This is why only very few people do this content and why ZO have been desperately trying to lure other players by eg. tieing event rewards to participating in this content.

I typically play healers in MMOs because that's fun for me in group content. Not in ESO though.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh my.

Pressing a button cos a timer has run down is not going to qualify as fun for most people. Especially in a game which threw cooldowns out the window. Seriously.

This is why only very few people do this content and why ZO have been desperately trying to lure other players by eg. tieing event rewards to participating in this content.

I typically play healers in MMOs because that's fun for me in group content. Not in ESO though.

I mean what else are you doing as a healer? Most of the time you don't actually need to heal anyone. I love combat prayer. It gives a damage buff(so things die faster), heals for a ton(so you're still healing) and gives a defensive buff( so the people you hit with it take less damage, when they do). What more could you want from a skill?
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean what else are you doing as a healer? Most of the time you don't actually need to heal anyone.

I thought I made this pretty clear but I'll spell it out for you.

Like most ESO players I don't play this kind of group content.

Except during events for especially shiny rewards. Like many people I might put out if the bling is good enough. Though when I stop getting bling, I stop putting out.

Games are a form of entertainment which is supposed to be fun. If you're doing something you don't enjoy and someone's not paying you for that, I think you're being had. That goes double if you're paying them for that privilege.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean what else are you doing as a healer? Most of the time you don't actually need to heal anyone.

I thought I made this pretty clear but I'll spell it out for you.

Like most ESO players I don't play this kind of group content.

Except during events for especially shiny rewards. Like many people I might put out if the bling is good enough. Though when I stop getting bling, I stop putting out.

Games are a form of entertainment which is supposed to be fun. If you're doing something you don't enjoy and someone's not paying you for that, I think you're being had. That goes double if you're paying them for that privilege.

Then you are not the person to be answering this question. Have to considered this is not the game for you?
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then you are not the person to be answering this question.

And who the hell do you think you are, to be telling my I can't comment in this forum?

Seriously.

Who?
    Have to considered this is not the game for you?

You are a very rude individual.

Comments like yours achieve nothing but to make ESO's community look bad.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then you are not the person to be answering this question.

And who the hell do you think you are, to be telling my I can't comment in this forum?

Seriously.

Who?
    Have to considered this is not the game for you?

You are a very rude individual.

Comments like yours achieve nothing but to make ESO's community look bad.

The question asked by the op is about healing with combat prayer. You stated you don't play content in this game that requires you to heal, even though you stated you healed in other games.

My question is an honest question, which you seem to be avoiding, not every game is made for everyone. Maybe address the question instead if trying to insult/bait me.

You also seems to think you are the majority, I would like to see your stats to back that up.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on April 2, 2019 4:51AM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question asked by the op is about healing with combat prayer. You stated you don't play content in this game that requires you to heal, even though you stated you healed in other games.

No that's not what I said. But don't let facts get in your way!
    My question is an honest question, which you seem to be avoiding, not every game is made for everyone. Maybe address the question instead if trying to insult/bait me.

I have neither insulted nor baited you. Go right ahead and report me with you if truly believe otherwise.

It is extremely rude to invite people to leave the game simply because they don't agree with you about something.

That's what you did.
    You also seems to think you are the majority, I would like to see your stats to back that up.

Sure. Demanding statistics which ZO would never release publicly is perfectly reasonable.

It's desperately obvious that I'm right.

As I said, ZO wouldn't be trying to lure players into this kind of content with so many event achievements and rewards specifically tied to it, if it was already popular.

Prior to 2018 events didn't require any kind of dungeon or trial participation.

Prior to 2019 anniversary reward boxes were given for any daily. This year it's specific different dailies every week, including one week for dungeons and one for pvp. And with event tickets you can't get those weeks otherwise.

Prior to 2019 there was only one pvp event. Now two. Also with event tickets.

It really does scream desperation.

There's also these forums where many players say they don't play this content.

Or this morning this was on the front page of the general section.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/466240/new-dungeons-so-unpopular-there-is-a-queue-time-for-tank
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s mostly required for trials. That being said, it’s a good heal for dungeons, and I’d choose it over other Restoration skills in most scenarios. If a DPS needs healing, why not boost their damage with the same skill.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

No that's not what I said. But don't let facts get in your way!

I have neither insulted nor baited you. Go right ahead and report me with you if truly believe otherwise.

It is extremely rude to invite people to leave the game simply because they don't agree with you about something.

That's what you did.

Sure. Demanding statistics which ZO would never release publicly is perfectly reasonable.

It's desperately obvious that I'm right.

As I said, ZO wouldn't be trying to lure players into this kind of content with so many event achievements and rewards specifically tied to it, if it was already popular.

Prior to 2018 events didn't require any kind of dungeon or trial participation.

Prior to 2019 anniversary reward boxes were given for any daily. This year it's specific different dailies every week, including one week for dungeons and one for pvp. And with event tickets you can't get those weeks otherwise.

Prior to 2019 there was only one pvp event. Now two. Also with event tickets.

It really does scream desperation.

There's also these forums where many players say they don't play this content.

Or this morning this was on the front page of the general section.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/466240/new-dungeons-so-unpopular-there-is-a-queue-time-for-tank

All the those words and no introspection. You still have not answered my very simple question.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still have not answered my very simple question.

Sure I did.

Who the hell are you to be telling me I can't comment in this forum or shouldn't be playing this game?

Who?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my.

I mean what else are you doing as a healer? Most of the time you don't actually need to heal anyone. I love combat prayer. It gives a damage buff(so things die faster), heals for a ton(so you're still healing) and gives a defensive buff( so the people you hit with it take less damage, when they do). What more could you want from a skill?
    Combat prayer is also an decent instant heal and can used for this as it obviously re-apply the buff.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You still have not answered my very simple question.

Sure I did.

Who the hell are you to be telling me I can't comment in this forum or shouldn't be playing this game?

Who?

that is not answer to the question. that is a deflection/insult/bait.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on April 2, 2019 12:52PM
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely use it in dungeon unless i am using it for the heal portion. I use to use it a lot but DPS always wants to stand 400 miles apart so i stopped using it.
  • Nightingale707
    Nightingale707
    ✭✭✭
    @rosy_ariete sorry for the ping, but this thread took an interesting turn.

To give you a short answer: Yes. And with the expected changes that are coming next patch (NBs losing minor berserk) it will be requested in every group again.
    The only reason to not run combat prayer at the moment is having a group full of NB DDs.

It is a great skill, that rewards with resistances, a damage buff and a burst heal. And it synergizes greatly with using an Asylum Restoration Staff.
    There is also not a reason to double cast it every 6 secounds, since you want both healers to use the skill.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In pvp I put it down in the breaches and doorways, lots of benefits in that skill. It fires pretty reliably under lag.

Also very useful and mandatory in some PvE as others have said.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's an 8 second buff and only would need to be double cast if you're solo healing.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• fermatamylife82
    fermatamylife82
    Soul Shriven
    I think it is hugely beneficial for 4-man content, whether with a familiar group or a PuG. The Minor Berserk and Minor Resolve are extremely helpful in dungeons and 4-man arenas, especially in Vet content (and even more so in Vet DLC dungeons and/or HMs.)

I’ve always felt it was a disservice to your DDs to not use combat prayer, but on the same token, every healer has their own play style and it’s always about finding creative ways to better help your allies (whether using Combat Prayer or not.)

With the comments about Combat Prayer’s cost and required positioning, there are things that can be done to mitigate those concerns. When I’m in a PuG, yes they don’t know many times where to stand, but I think that’s one of the exciting things about being a healer. Accessing the situation and then making those adjustments. Yes, harder to use when DPS is spread out, but many times it’s just about moving to have them in your direct line of sight. Maybe you’ll need to stand a little further back than usual or flank with one DPS at an angle that the Combat Prayer can carry through to the other DPS. Adjustments can always be made.

In my opinion, the cost is no great concern as some of the other skills that we use. I feel that’s more about resource management on our parts and being mindful of not over casting (or perhaps equipping the Asylum Resto.)

My playstyle allows Combat Prayer to be incredibly beneficial and not a hindrance to my magicka sustain. If you aren’t able to keep Combat Prayer up, it may mean there’s a build problem or that you aren’t finding ways to better sustain your magicka (light attacks, heavy attacks, potions, enchantments, food, CP points, etc.)

At the end of the day, I say you use what you think is best, but I do feel that Combat Prayer is a must in most situations.
    Edited by fermatamylife82 on May 24, 2021 8:27PM
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

This post is to let you know that we've felt it necessary to put this thread down, as it seemed to have died some time ago. At this time we'd like to try and keep Draugr threads from roaming around the front page, pushing down newer and more lively threads. Feel free to continue this subject in a more recent thread or create a new one if a more recent thread is not available.

Thank you for understanding!
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.