The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should Alliance Change Tokens be added to the Crown Store?

Edwin
Edwin
✭✭✭
Since alliance lock is coming with Update 22, should players be allowed to change some of their characters to their main alliance so they're able to play in the big campaigns and earn all their PvP rewards?

I know Rich mentioned that alliances don't play a big role anymore in the game since One Tamriel. But that was before you were locked out of content because of your alliance.

This would obviously need a cooldown/limit. One alliance change per campaign duration or one alliance change per character limit, something along those lines.

Should Alliance Change Tokens be added to the Crown Store? 47 votes

Yes - We need faction change tokens
65%
emelee_ESOIzanagi.Xiiib16_ESOreActor1ElongbooksmcreadEnkilEdirt_selivMinalanredspecter23Rin_Senyalinoge63LeifEricksonKatahdinenzoisadogVietfoxNavarrilHaroniNDeorumArtim_XDivineFirstYOLOdazee 31 votes
No - (Please comment why below)
27%
ManwithBeard9Universe JulesMinnoBone_DemonFleetwoodSmackzykSandman929White wabbitGlassTommy_The_GunAhtuBlinkin8r 13 votes
Other - (Please comment your opinion below)
6%
ATomiX96MudcrabberThanatos_inside 3 votes
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With the changes they are making they are now required
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same comments also indicated that separating faction from character selection is harder than it seems.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/465498/eso-zos-q-a-information-london-elsweyr-press-event-info/p1
    "Alliance Change and Separating Alliances
    Discussing the new faction locked campaigns with Rob we spoke about how ZOS wanted to keep the accessibility of people playing with any of their friends but also bring back something to encourage team and faction loyalty.
    I spoke with Rob about breaking alliance choice away from character creation (something I’ve wanted to see in ESO for a long time), we spoke about how there are technical issues (which is why they don’t and won’t offer faction changes) and whilst these could be overcome with a large investment of time ZOS needs to balance between if these would be good use of that time vs other things they could be working on."
    Edited by VaranisArano on March 31, 2019 1:07PM
    Options
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The same comments also indicated that separating faction from character selection is harder than it seems.

Their reply to all changes is that they are harder than they seem. At some point the reply needs to change from being "oh ok" to something a bit less forgiving. Eso could be a great game but the reluctance to make changes which are hard and pander to the clueless is just making the game worse every patch.
    @Solar_Breeze
    Options
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, just let us pvp on our characters the way we have for the last 5 YEARS
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
    Options
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Their reply to all changes is that they are harder than they seem. At some point the reply needs to change from being "oh ok" to something a bit less forgiving. Eso could be a great game but the reluctance to make changes which are hard and pander to the clueless is just making the game worse every patch.

It's a matter of project time. Would you rather them spend time developing ANOTHER item for the crown store or fixing bugs and improving the back end code?
    Options
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other - (Please comment your opinion below)
    I think there's a lot of design/coding choices from before One Tamriel that'll complicate a faction change.

They might be able to simplify it by giving you two faction values, one that's used for PvP and for your character title, and one that's used for all the PvE questing logic such as Cadwell's gold/silver. The faction change would only change your PvP faction, and without the risk of breaking the main quest or Cadwell's.

If they get that change working, making your PvP faction independent of your starting/quest faction, I think it ought to be unlockable via quest achievements, without a crown purchase. Starting Cadwell's Silver should unlock a one-time change to the 2nd faction. Starting Gold should unlock the 3rd faction. If you want to change factions again, or without questing, you'd have to buy a token.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jules wrote: »

I agree. Alliance selection is also something you don't just do because it's fashionable. There's lore, community, and gameplay reasons to select your faction, something you don't have to worry about with class selection.

Offering faction tokens would cheapen that selection process and water down the game's lore in a way. If you need to play with friends, raise an alt (which should be easier if your already at CP and they will be offering skyshard in the crownstore so even easier to be combat ready).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Phoebe
    Phoebe
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of my RL friends owned Any Race Any Alliance until recently (when it was at sale). As a result, characters are spread across all factions, since everyone wanted to play their favourite races. It makes me sad that some can not play their favourite character when we go to PVP together. They're all not overly faction loyal, so I don't think they would mind changing to another faction if we're all able to play together with our favourite chars then.
    I'd be totally ok with alliance chance tokens to be only usable once only for every character or perhaps once every year (just in case you find new friends). I don't know about you, but playing with RL friends is the most fun part of playing ESO for me, even more fun than any guild or fixed group.
    Options
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

I agree. Alliance selection is also something you don't just do because it's fashionable. There's lore, community, and gameplay reasons to select your faction, something you don't have to worry about with class selection.

Offering faction tokens would cheapen that selection process and water down the game's lore in a way. If you need to play with friends, raise an alt (which should be easier if your already at CP and they will be offering skyshard in the crownstore so even easier to be combat ready).

However, being locked to a faction for life is super unrealistic and detracts from immersion. In reality, people defect and change sides. The allies would never have won world war 2 had the German scientists been forced to remain loyal to, and work for the axis powers.

If the devs were to invest the time into making this, I would def hope to see a very long cooldown or even a lifetime limit of 1-2 alliance switches per character.

The notion of splitting the alliance choice into starting (character creation) and defecting (PvP) might be a potential route for easier coding. Let’s hope the dev’s and @ZOS_BrianWheeler chime in on this issue in light of the upcoming changes and locks.

Edited by Enkil on April 1, 2019 2:26AM
    Options
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Enkil wrote: »

However, being locked to a faction for life is super unrealistic and detracts from immersion. In reality, people defect and change sides. The allies would never have won world war 2 had the German scientists been forced to remain loyal to, and work for the axis powers.

If the devs were to invest the time into making this, I would def hope to see a very long cooldown or even a lifetime limit of 1-2 alliance switches per character.

The notion of splitting the alliance choice into starting (character creation) and defecting (PvP) might be a potential route for easier coding. Let’s hope the dev’s chime in on this issue in light of the upcoming changes and locks.

Good thing this isn't reality.
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't think of a solid reason why they can't be added for balance reasons. They could add a cooldown timer as well to avoid any potential abuse. For instance, a 3 month cooldown per character after a faction change would make it very hard to bounce around. I believe the main issue was a technical limitation and that's why we may not see it in the near future.
    Options
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ManwithBeard9

I appreciate that thoughtful, well-reasoned and solid rebuttal. :|
    Options
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a matter of project time. Would you rather them spend time developing ANOTHER item for the crown store or fixing bugs and improving the back end code?

Like how they fixed the stuck in combat bug?
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enkil wrote: »

The notion of splitting the alliance choice into starting (character creation) and defecting (PvP) might be a potential route for easier coding. Let’s hope the dev’s and @ZOS_BrianWheeler chime in on this issue in light of the upcoming changes and locks.

Well this is Tamriel and the world we started off with is still this 3-faction war. Even the rulers had specific reasons for you to choose them (assuming you read that part before starting your first character.)

I don't think they need to offer a crown store escape here; faction selection is one of the fundamental constants for the game and helps create the core identity for your character.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes becuase race change doesnt change faction.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
    Options
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What I would prefer is for them to actually consider the bigger picture of changes or ask for help if they are incapable of doing so. I would rather changes actually go in with supported other features to not just worsen issues.
    Unfortunately none of that will happen so yet again another band aid fix is required.
    @Solar_Breeze
    Options
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry about your alts but Alliance change tokens will never be added to the game. If your main character is not on the alliance of your choosing, then I would consider rerolling to the faction of your choice. Alliance choice should be closely considered when creating a new character as it is an irreversible decision.
    Edited by Ahtu on April 1, 2019 6:56PM
    Options
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather see a one time option per character to realign to a faction, if faction locks are truly happening.
    Options