The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Dragonscale Crate RNG hurts.

• Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your chance of finding at least one regular Apex with all those crates was about 2/3.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After approximately 150 crates, I got two weapon styles, a wagon of exp scrolls, one statue, several banners, and one regular mount. This doesn't include vendor trash like food, potions, books, and repeat cosmetics.

My 5th card was almost always a scroll, save for the one mount and (pfft) a sweetroll. This rng sucks, I agree. Not feeling fantastic about trying again next month, I gotta say. But there are still some things I want to roll for in the hopes I get the wolf/horse apex.

Good luck and congrats to anyone who got one or all three of the rares, especially those of you trying to get 600 gems for the spider.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always been like this and it's unlikely it will ever change.
    Other games give you a guarantee that you'll receive at least one common, one uncommon and one rare, with the ultra rare being...ultra rare, while this game is: poison, poison, potion, xp scroll, with everything else being ultra rare.

I only purchase CCs for costumes, because I know how bad the drop rates are, and thankfully this one doesn't have any- and xanmeer only had Argonian ones.
  • Karius_Imalthar
    Karius_Imalthar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of the hundreds of boxes I've opened since crates were introduced I got 1 apex mount. Certainly never a radiant apex.
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭
    Did you really spend 150 bucks for a chance to get a mount you wouldn`t be able to buy even if you turned every single prize you got in all of the crates into gems?

I wont call you any names. I`ll just say I hope you`ve learned a valuable lesson.
    Edited by luizhd on March 29, 2019 2:02PM
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You take your chances. Not to rub it in but I got the radiant apex senche from 15 crates (and a load of rubbish)
  • DR4GONFL1
    DR4GONFL1
    ✭✭✭✭
    The crown store was something the community as a whole used to look forward too and celebrate as it kept the game fun and gave our mounts and characters a face lift. But its become so toxic now and that is so unnecessary. Reading the replies and seeing fellow players are opening 20-60 crates because they want a new mount or something to ride for the next few months or so and not get anything of value is disgusting. To always feel taken advantage of or ripped off has become the norm now. I would open 15-30 crates with each release but none since Murkmire. I hope it get backs to being fun and having things obtainable again as I love this game but I seriously have enough experience scrolls already.
    Edited by DR4GONFL1 on March 29, 2019 4:03PM
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭
    I`d like to see crates being removed all together and mounts being added to the crown store or into some sort of battle pass. Lootboxes are predatory and disgusting in my opinion, but I do know that hoping for their removal is but wishful thinking.

I look at the normal store and then at the contents of the crates and can clearly see they are forcing every cool item into them.
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    The hope is that one person will spend $4k to get all three radiant apex, generating as much quarterly income as a hundred casual subscribers combined.
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mudcrabber wrote: »
    The hope is that one person will spend $4k to get all three radiant apex, generating as much quarterly income as a hundred casual subscribers combined.

Yup one whale is worth about 250 players who dont ever buy anything.
    Edited by JaZ2091 on March 29, 2019 9:01PM
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never gotten a radiant mount yet have spent probably a thousand dollars over 4 years on crates. RNG hates me.
  • Wolf_XV
    Wolf_XV
    ✭✭
    Never gotten a radiant mount sadly, I just buy maybe 15 or so crates if I like the season or some more if I need gems for something. If I don’t get a radiant so be it, no point buying anymore when droprate is abysmal.

Anyhow bought around 16 and got the dragonscale wolf and bear within the first 6 crates. Probably my luck gone for the year... Got a legendary xp scroll, emotes, tattoos and stuff and not much else but got enough gems for the dwarven staff so was decent for once.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They made it very simple for me, this time : there isn't a single thing in the new crates that even sparked a glimmer of interest.

Also, Elseweyr is a hot desert, and some of the items in Elseweyr-related crates are... Frot themed ?
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »
    They made it very simple for me, this time : there isn't a single thing in the new crates that even sparked a glimmer of interest.

Also, Elseweyr is a hot desert, and some of the items in Elseweyr-related crates are... Frot themed ?

We're getting a different season for Elsweyr.

Bandaari crates. You get one if you pre-order the chapter.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On another note. Learnt my lesson on Crown Crates back during my time on Xbox.

I'll buy one lot of fifteen each season. I know some people will say that's too many but I can happily afford that within my games budget. Joys of being single and all that.

But I won't get any more then that. I also leave the purchase until the end of the season, especially after that ESO+ discount on the 15-pack we had a few weeks ago for the Xanmeer season.

The trick is to not obsess over drops. Don't get attached to an item before you even have it on your account. I cut off all feelings for Crown Crate content until I actually have them in my collectables.

Of course you're battling directly with ZOS here, who as a stone-cold business will, quite understandably, do everything in their power to create within you an emotional want for the rarer drops.

Maybe things are easier for me, as I'm a diagnosed sociopath. I can switch off my feelings at will. I understand that not everyone can do this, and yes, ZOS' marketing is blatantly exploiting human emotion.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Quantact
    Quantact
    ✭✭✭
    I think after reading all you guys' responses that the problem is that ZOS's philosophy on Crown Crates has shifted from their beginning to now.

When Storm Atronach crates (first series) came out, there was an understanding that the crates were random and stuff in them was harder to get and thus the stuff in there -- especially the Apex stuff -- had to be made with much more quality than the sure-thing stuff in the regular Crown Store. That definitely continued for a while, for example, I don't think the Wild Hunt Guar is any worse than the Storm Atronach.

But I have this sinking feeling with the Xanmeer and the current seasons that the emphasis is being shifted to the ultra-rare Radiants and the other stuff in the crates, including the Apex, doesn't quite have that high quality requirement anymore. If the Solar Horse was created back in the early crate seasons, I am pretty certain the Solar would be the theme for all the Apex mounts, and the customers would all be happy with that.

I won't lie, I did spent 600 of the crown gems I got on the Dwarven weapon overlays, (one of the four I got as a drop) so it's not like I didn't buy into this season... but I do hope the trend reverses and the excellence in creating future seasons shifts back to the Legendaries and Apex rather than the Radiant Apex stuff that nearly nobody will ever get.
  • StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG is RNG. I aquired 30 storm atro and 30 Dragonscale crates and there were zero apex mounts (good for me that I wasn't looking for them. I only needed normal mounts from those crates).

However I got apexes from free psijiic and reapers crates, and then suddenly got Scarlet senche from the infamous ouroboros crates... So, 3 apexes from probably about 30 free crates, and zero from 60 purchased ones...
  • Quantact
    Quantact
    ✭✭✭
    Why were the Ouroboros Crates infamous?
  • DR4GONFL1
    DR4GONFL1
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO has made obtaining a Radiant Apex so impossible and have designed the Apex mounts so poorly that there isn’t even a reason to open a crate anymore and I’m usually opening 30-45 which is fun but what’s the point now.
    Edited by DR4GONFL1 on March 31, 2019 3:41AM
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quantact wrote: »
    When Storm Atronach crates (first series) came out, there was an understanding that the crates were random and stuff in them was harder to get and thus the stuff in there -- especially the Apex stuff -- had to be made with much more quality than the sure-thing stuff in the regular Crown Store. That definitely continued for a while, for example, I don't think the Wild Hunt Guar is any worse than the Storm Atronach.

Crates are on the same quality level as anything else in the crown store. The only difference is that crates get the luxury of releasing all six mount variants from the theme at one time.

People tend to romanticize the first releases of anything. But people were bashing Storm and Wild Hunt as being lore-breaking, distracting, and obnoxious long prior to their releases. There have been disparaging comments for every crate season. I'm still not thrilled with how they originated, but again, given the choice between more collectibles options and fewer collectibles options, I'll take more. Easier to skip something than not have it at all.

I'm not going to go and call something *** just because it's not attuned to my personal taste. I've liked some seasons more than others. Totally normal.
    signing off
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't buy crates but I was lucky lately and got over 100 gems from two free ones (Fire Attronach and Ouroboros). Just wanted to brag here. ;)
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • SacredEarth
    SacredEarth
    ✭✭
    l
    luizhd wrote: »
    I`d like to see crates being removed all together and mounts being added to the crown store or into some sort of battle pass. Lootboxes are predatory and disgusting in my opinion, but I do know that hoping for their removal is but wishful thinking.

I look at the normal store and then at the contents of the crates and can clearly see they are forcing every cool item into them.

Yes. There should be a different system for cool mounts and other desirable items. Their model seems to be based on greed, which I find distasteful and don't want to support. I think there should be more mounts in the game that you can grind through rep or through farming dungeons/overland that have rare drop rates :smile: I know they are F2P and need to make money, but I pay for eso+ and buy items, skins and such from the crown store already. I think they are making a ton of money and this just feels greedy to me...
  • ookami007
    ookami007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since crates ARE gambling. How do they get away without posting the odds. Another freakin loophole.

Since last season or maybe the season before, the RNG for them has been so bad, I just don't even bother.

In the end, this game is about parting you from your money. If you forget that for even the briefest time, expect it to cost you - literally.
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ookami007 wrote: »
    In the end, this game is about parting you from your money. If you forget that for even the briefest time, expect it to cost you - literally.

Tell me of a business not trying to do this?

• Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of it this way. 24 tickets in a draw (each ticket equivalent to 15 crates/5000 crowns).

On average each draw will result in...

1 ticket will win a Radiant.
    8 tickets will win an Apex.
    15 tickets will win Nothing.

That is a lot of tickets not winning...

(Calculations taken from https://www.crowncrates.com/dragonscale. Based on 5121 crates, 0.27% radiant, and 2.15% Apex)

Hope my calcs are right...