The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Misbehaving Dolmens

Ramzdonb16_ESO
Ramzdonb16_ESO
✭✭✭
Poor Molag, he's been sending down the same anchors in a hope with the plane meld for 5 years now. Just to get rekt by one top level hero who flattens every pathetic daedra who drops.

This is how Dolmens should behave.

If an anchor drops in the woods and no one's around to hear it does it really drop?

Anyway, once an anchor drops and the stupid cultists sacrifice themselves in the name of the lord of ***, there should be an outpouring of daedra. This should keep happening until the anchor is closed. The daedra should spread out further from the anchor killing the wildlife creating a big red marker on your map to signal all the would be hero's to venture and close an actual threat to tamerial.

Once the daedra reach a city that would cause the poor townsfolk to run an hide in their houses! This will close access to all the typical traders etc.

Maybe a couple of guards dotted around rekking daedra seeing as they are invincible and should really be slapping Molag around by themselves.

Once the entire zone is captured by the daedric forces you can only travel in via footpaths no longer be able to use wayshrines to add some immersion. Furthermore will spawn a huge daedric entity that will be of similar hp and damage to a high level raid boss, maybe X3 to ensure people team up and big guilds go and get their trial characters to hit them where it hurts.

I believe this will be a great way to get players to visit abandoned zones and add a big new layer of immersion and gameplay, causing people to team up and create new groups and make new friends.

Please let me know what you guys think and if this is something you'd like to see, also what problems this would cause. (I don't really wanna hear lag because it's 2019 and zos should gitgud in that department.)

Enjoy :)
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting idea, sounds like fun...
    And have an awesome for the detail
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a game where I can choose to ignore elements of it, or partake in some elements.

Right now, I can ignore the anchors or farm them as I see fit. If I enter a zone to do a quest or a survey and I am forced to deal with an Anchor invasion, I may just start playing WOW....
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please let me know what you guys think and if this is something you'd like to see, also what problems this would cause.

Great concept, though I prefer just imagining it, rather than seeing it in ESO, as I know it'd go terribly wrong.

A lot of players wouldn't like it if their action/inaction had any impact on the game world.

If the daedra captured a few wayshrines or a town, people would first kill the forums, then the daedra, and then devise a strategy to avoid the inconvenience. Maybe they would make an effort to keep some zones clean, constantly killing anchors there, while leaving other zones to Molag Bal. So we'd end up with Alik'r and a bunch of zones full of daedra with unusable wayshrines.

EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the concept but do any dolmens ever stay up longer than a few minutes before being wrecked?
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vuron wrote: »
    I like the concept but do any dolmens ever stay up longer than a few minutes before being wrecked?

Most of the ones outside of Alik’r and away from major population hubs tend to go unnoticed quite a lot on Xbox eu, at least from my experience...
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi. Really like your idea but technically I doubt it could be done in an MMO. Keeping track of all those mobs and their AI, and requiring multiple phases throughout the map to necessitate the various stages of the invasion would be far too taxing on the servers. And that’s before you realise that due to the fact that ESO runs on a mega server, people in the same zone are not necessarily in the same instance of that zone, so you would need to have a multiple versions of that invasion going on for the same zone.

In a single player gamer it would be doable, but I’m doubtful it could be done in a MMO (yet), and certainly not in ESO with it’s current engine and server structure.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I like a game where I can choose to ignore elements of it, or partake in some elements.

Right now, I can ignore the anchors or farm them as I see fit. If I enter a zone to do a quest or a survey and I am forced to deal with an Anchor invasion, I may just start playing WOW....

Interesting, although I can't imagine you'd be missing out on anything if the zone was abandoned long enough for it to have been overwhelmed seeing as you weren't going there anyway? I do see your point though as content would be locked from you, I would hope at that point the reward would be great enough as to encourage a swift execution a purge of the zone.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Merlight wrote: »
    Please let me know what you guys think and if this is something you'd like to see, also what problems this would cause.

Great concept, though I prefer just imagining it, rather than seeing it in ESO, as I know it'd go terribly wrong.

A lot of players wouldn't like it if their action/inaction had any impact on the game world.

If the daedra captured a few wayshrines or a town, people would first kill the forums, then the daedra, and then devise a strategy to avoid the inconvenience. Maybe they would make an effort to keep some zones clean, constantly killing anchors there, while leaving other zones to Molag Bal. So we'd end up with Alik'r and a bunch of zones full of daedra with unusable wayshrines.

You could be right in the forum's being bombed when a town gets locked, I would hope that the people would reach out in guilds or popular cities for help in clearing out. I often see people, including myself, jumping to the opportunity to play the hero to fellow players in helping clearing world bosses would be nice to see the same attitude towards this.

As to the zones being abandoned to the daedric forces, surely people still need to visit most areas or their ALTs for mages guild, psyjic order and skyshards? Given that you don't necessarily need to visit all the areas for mages guild completion.

Maybe this would be better suited as an event?
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    esotoon wrote: »
    Hi. Really like your idea but technically I doubt it could be done in an MMO. Keeping track of all those mobs and their AI, and requiring multiple phases throughout the map to necessitate the various stages of the invasion would be far too taxing on the servers. And that’s before you realise that due to the fact that ESO runs on a mega server, people in the same zone are not necessarily in the same instance of that zone, so you would need to have a multiple versions of that invasion going on for the same zone.

In a single player gamer it would be doable, but I’m doubtful it could be done in a MMO (yet), and certainly not in ESO with it’s current engine and server structure.

Probably the strongest argument against so far and a big oversight on my behalf. Completely forgot about multiple instances.

Although if the area is completely abandoned for long enough, in EU it can be quite a while, I've been in areas and seen nobody if only the odd wanderer and his pet, so surely these are the only instances available? I don't know much about instances though.

(Sorry about the multiple posts on my phone and not sure how to quote multiple people)
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the game needs is... dolmen IRL!
    extra_large-1568987989-cover-image.jpg
    ...no, wait... different kind of dolmen... :p;)
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the Idea but just maybe for one zone.. if not it would be to much :D
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Guild Wars 2, the regions around temples in Orr work a bit like that, OP. However, GW2 has a much more involved group finder. With it, you can often find taxi groups to an open world instance that has been conquered (if you want to buy gear from the conquered temple karma vendors) or to one that is currently being attacked by players, if you want in on the action.

Oh... got fooled by a 6 month necro thread... nvm.
    Edited by SirLeeMinion on October 6, 2019 1:05AM