Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Elsweyr Prologue Quest, first step is bugged

CyberOnEso
CyberOnEso
✭✭✭✭✭
UserId
@CyberOnEso
Server
PC / EU
The Mage's Guild Hall in Davon's Watch, the Vulkhel Guard Manor and Treasury, or the Royal Castle in Daggerfall

When?
After receiving and reading the note provided by The High Chancellor and Overlord of Nibenay Abnur Tharn

Everytime?
I believe so, yes

What happens?
The High Chancellor and Overlord of Nibenay Abnur Tharn does not appear at any of the above locations irrespective of the player's current alliance.
Furthermore, a quest does not appear in the player's quest log after reading the note authored by The High Chancellor and Overlord of Nibenay Abnur Tharn regardless of their current number of active quests. (i.e. Not 25/25)

What is meant to happen?
The High Chancellor and Overlord of Nibenay Abnur Tharn should appear at one of the above locations depending on the player's current alliance and a quest should appear in the player's quest log confirming this.

Since when has this been happening?
Today, 25/03/19 at 14:00 UST/ GMT.
@CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hearing that a small number of players are getting the quest to start when reading the item so perhaps there is some very common trigger that locks it out? Just trying to figure out what causes the quest to not trigger and if it's preventable, then just not do that thing.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks Cyber, we're actively looking into this now.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick response!

It may be worth noting that with some addons active that the 'Sealed Imperial Summons' is not able to be used, you click on the item and nothing occurs.
    However, regardless of the addons active (I have now disabled all my addons) the quest is not starting for me and Abnur Tharn is not appearing at any of the possible locations.
    Edited by CyberOnEso on March 25, 2019 2:42PM
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so I logged onto a character for the first time since 14:00 UTC, with no addons ever active, she is an EP Warden and she never previously deleted a scroll.
    She managed to get the quest and Abnur Tharn appears in the Davon's Watch Mage's Guild as expected.
    Edited by CyberOnEso on March 25, 2019 2:58PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    We identified the issue and are working on rolling out a hotfix.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! Great to hear, thanks a lot, really appreciated!
  • Dacalana
    Dacalana
    ✭✭✭
    Same for PC/NA.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If only people had reported problems finding Abnur Tharn on the PTS. Oh wait, they did, because I was one of them.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/454521/pts-update-21-feedback-thread-for-elsweyr-prologue-quest
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »
    If only people had reported problems finding Abnur Tharn on the PTS. Oh wait, they did, because I was one of them.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/454521/pts-update-21-feedback-thread-for-elsweyr-prologue-quest

Whilst we did report some issues of this stage on the quest on the PTS the fact that the quest doesn't appear at all is a different issue. Once you obtain the quest Abnur Tharn can be found at the intended locations with no issue.
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news is the rest of the quest seems to work as intended!
  • Hellsbunnies
    Hellsbunnies
    ✭✭✭
    We identified the issue and are working on rolling out a hotfix.

I always suspected this, Zeni are Covenantist! :open_mouth:
    Most known on PC EU server as The Samurai Pizza Cat.
    Twitter @HellsbunniesTV
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We just logged on (husband and myself) on PC EU, got the quest from the crown store and used it. It remains in miscellaneous, no quest appears in Quest log and Abnur Tharn is nowhere to be seen. Probably playing with his Amulet of Kings.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • McEwen
    McEwen
    Soul Shriven
    "To celebrate this amazing anniversary, you can begin your journey to the Khajiiti homeland with the Elsweyr Prologue" with a bugged quest...
  • derpy_mushroom
    im also getting the bug on my AD characters any chance of that getting fixed too?
    Rayri Aranys - Dunmer Arcanist. (Telvanni Mer represent!)Caeyla Gentleflame - Altmer Sorcerer (DD Rescue non-pet Sorcerer!)Tanalenya Aerith - Altmer Sorcerer (Tank, Critical Surge goes brrt)
  • personman_145
    personman_145
    ✭✭✭
    hmm I found Abnur Tharn in vulkhel guard manor and treasury. Dunno if they fixed it or I just looked somewhere I haven't before.
    PC: i5 8600k, 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Chars: Alathaar is a high elf vampire dps sorc | Andy Rink is a dark elf tank sword and board WW
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Redacted]
    This bug still exists
    Edited by CyberOnEso on March 26, 2019 12:53PM
  • Thrudra_Magia
    Thrudra_Magia
    ✭✭✭
    No, the thread cannot be closed because the issue still exists. I am a DC char and the quest is sending me to Grahtwood, but no Abnur Tharn is there.

Still bugged.
  • Thrudra_Magia
    Thrudra_Magia
    ✭✭✭
    The quest is listed under Grahtwood, so I go to Grahtwood and there's a quest marker that says "Talk to Abnur Tharn" but the quest marker is over the Belkarth Cart so I click on the cart and I'm in Craglorn. I look around for the quest marker and it's over the Belkarth Cart saying Go to Wayrest to Talk to Abnur Tharn, so I go to Wayrest and the quest marker is back in Grahtwood. Rinse and repeat.

I looked everywhere for him and he's not to be found.

EDIT: Bugged on PC NA server. I have two accounts and they are both bugged on this quest.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by Thrudra_Magia on March 26, 2019 3:17PM
  • Taanaquil
    Taanaquil
    Soul Shriven
    Bugged here as well - I opened the scroll when I had a full quest log though - so went and deleted one - still couldn't get the quest to start. deactivated all my addons as well :( no luck.
  • Achernar
    Achernar
    ✭✭
    This is still bugged for me on one of my characters. My other two characters received the quest just fine after purchasing and using the quest starter. However, my one character is not getting the quest after reading the quest starter. Tried destroying it and rebuying, and logging in and out, but no luck.

UPDATE: The issue was that I had "The Tharn Speaks" active in my quest log. That was interfering with the prologue quest. I completed the "The Tharn Speaks" quest, then was able to successfully use the prologue quest starter and talk to Abnur Tharn. Seems like a bug, but at the least they should communicate this out better on their page about the prologue quest.
    Edited by Achernar on March 28, 2019 3:25AM
  • Bromwynn
    Bromwynn
    Soul Shriven
    Bugged on my main AD toon. Can use the purchased quest item, no quest starts though :(
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's still bugged for me on one of my AD characters, but it works on another AD character
    Edited by emilyhyoyeon on March 26, 2019 2:46PM
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • vadallo
    vadallo
    Soul Shriven
    Exact same problem as OP, but I'm on PS4 EU. Read the note (sealed imperial summons) and nothing happens, no quest listed in log, just nothing.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Got the quest in Auridon (Vulkhel guard manor).
    2. Do the first part.
    3. Used wayshrine to next zone required for quest.
    4. Quest pointer then shows that I had to go to Cyrodil. Active quest changed to one in Cyrodil Alliance war.
    5. Changed to Quest in Grantwood, which is were the quest log shows the proper quest.
    6. Do the next part of quest.
    7. Use wayshrine to travel to next zone.
    8. Quest pointer then shows that I had to go to Cyrodil. Active quest changed to one in Cyrodil Alliance war.

Every time I change zones active quest changes to one I have in Cyrodil. This has been happening for over a year.

If I abandon all quests in Cyrodil, it just changes to a quest in a different zone, like it expects you to only have one quest at a time.

Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Edited by majulook on March 26, 2019 5:09PM
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Celiwen
    Celiwen
    Soul Shriven
    I had the same prologue issue, but I managed to fix it! :) I found that I had a main story quest still active (The Tharn Speaks), where I had to meet Abnur Tharn in the Mages Guild in Vulkhel Guard. Once I completed that quest using the Imperial Summons quest scroll worked and started the Demon Weapon quest. Hopefully, that works for others.

Fix for me:
    Complete Quest: The Tharn Speaks
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quest is listed under Grahtwood, so I go to Grahtwood and there's a quest marker that says "Talk to Abnur Tharn" but the quest marker is over the Belkarth Cart so I click on the cart and I'm in Craglorn. I look around for the quest marker and it's over the Belkarth Cart saying Go to Wayrest to Talk to Abnur Tharn, so I go to Wayrest and the quest marker is back in Grahtwood. Rinse and repeat.

I looked everywhere for him and he's not to be found.

EDIT: Bugged on PC NA server. I have two accounts and they are both bugged on this quest.

If you are DC then Tharn is in Daggerfall Castle, ground floor near the kitchen.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • chris731b14_ESO
    chris731b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have two characters that the NPC Tharn is invisible, I made a new character, and without a purchase of a scroll I can see Tharn standing where he is supposed to be. It's only my two main characters that have a scroll that can't see Tharn.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Celiwen wrote: »
    I had the same prologue issue, but I managed to fix it! :) I found that I had a main story quest still active (The Tharn Speaks), where I had to meet Abnur Tharn in the Mages Guild in Vulkhel Guard. Once I completed that quest using the Imperial Summons quest scroll worked and started the Demon Weapon quest. Hopefully, that works for others.

Fix for me:
    Complete Quest: The Tharn Speaks

this was my issue, thank you so much omg
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Thrudra_Magia
    Thrudra_Magia
    ✭✭✭
    @All:

Thanks so much to all of you for your helpful comments. My guildie explained what I needed to do to activate the quest, etc.

Here's the problem: This is a quest that is broken and needs to be fixed. Fixing the quest is NOT my job. I pay for ESO. I expect it to work.

It's called quality. I expect quality when I pay for a service. This is an intro quest and there's no excuse why it should be so broken for so long.

@ZOS: Can we get the developer who worked the Murkmire intro quest to fix this one? Thanks.
  • tyggerbob
    tyggerbob
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me it looks like the 'fix' for this has broken the 'Tharn Speaks'
    I completed the prologue before doing the main quest line, and now when I finish 'Castle of the Worm' I don't get the banekin who gives the Tharn quest and now I'm stuck. . Checked every mages guild, every starter city, plus others. No joy. I put a trouble ticket in and they said thanks for telling us and closed it.
    Not pleased