Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Any success working quests while below the recommended level?

MaxBat
MaxBat
✭✭✭
I'm generally thinking solo quests here, but we can also discuss dungeons designed for groups. Last night during a guild discussion, the question was raised: Can you successfully enter a level 15 area while still at level 10? If so, any tips on succeeding?

Obviously, I can bring a group, including a healer. The character I'm considering is currently a level 10 dual-wielding nightblade (AD). Just wondering if anyone's tried this successfully alone.
"Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Bweefk
    Bweefk
    ✭✭
    If you follow behind someone whose killing the mobs you will still get XP if your tagging, but im not sure if all the quests are available.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxBat wrote: »
    I'm generally thinking solo quests here, but we can also discuss dungeons designed for groups. Last night during a guild discussion, the question was raised: Can you successfully enter a level 15 area while still at level 10? If so, any tips on succeeding?

Obviously, I can bring a group, including a healer. The character I'm considering is currently a level 10 dual-wielding nightblade (AD). Just wondering if anyone's tried this successfully alone.
    Me and two others can do quests about 2 levels above us before it gets difficult.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Me and two others can do quests about 2 levels above us before it gets difficult.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was looking for.

• ShadowWolf613
    ShadowWolf613
    ✭✭✭
    I was 14 doing level 18 quest's np. Also at 15 did a level 21 quest. That took a while to do as I had to make sure not to mess up and keep my magicka up while fighting the boss so i can heal myself. Took a couple tries but I got it.
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial Templar
    Level 37
    Avg active quest lvl: 43

It is very possible to be in an area higher than your own lvl. Some key tips:

-Make sure your gear is up to date with your lvl, I craft all my own gear.

-Make sure your equipment is not broken, obviously a item with 0 durability will not protect you but any bonuses you would normally get (such as magicka regen with light armor) wont be applied to a 0 durability item.

-Utilize any crowd control abilities you have. Certain bosses (especially ones susceptible to knockdown/slow effects) are easy when you keep their happy butts in stun/knockdown.

I too solo a lot in fact I've soloed my way to lvl 37. Your class, and skills you have invested in will play a lot in your ability to survive in more powerful areas as well.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    dagnome wrote: »
    Imperial Templar
    Level 37
    Avg active quest lvl: 43

~ snip ~

Thanks for this! I need to see if I have a knockdown/slow ability. I don't think I do as an NB.

• dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    Cripple in the siphoning skill tree would work. But also i get alot of stun/knockdown skills from my weapon skill trees (Sword + Shield)
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to depend greatly on character and skills. Those with extensive CC abilities and damage mitigation will be able to survive in higher level spread situations.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I though the level different max was 5 levels. Eg, Killing a mob five levels above or below your current level gave no exp or loot. (To stop high levels farming low level mobs and stop low level players getting power leveled)

Maybe there is no max once your L40+ (or the difference increases from 5 to 6 or 7)
    Edited by Natjur on April 9, 2014 9:22PM
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    I was soloing level 39-40 creatures and minibosses at 30... though minibosses were about a 50/50 chance depending on whether or not I hit my crucial skills (like stuns), and it depends on what they have for abilities as well... but it's possible. I think it's harder the lower level you are. I was level 20 entering Riverspire and doing level 24-25 quests. Some of those were fairly difficult, and one quest just couldn't be done until I leveled up more.

Anyway, I don't see much of a problem the higher you get. Lower levels might be more rough.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for the advice and information. Today I tried to jump into a anchor and got smacked down almost instantly. I was the first player to the area and was attacked by multiple enemies 3+ levels above me.

• Lucardes
    Lucardes
    ✭✭✭
    I finished a some level 30/31 quests at level 27. Yes, VERY possible if your weapon skills + having lots of skills allocated which i do.
    Lucefer
    #1 Sorcerer in EP Dawnbreaker
  • Lucardes
    Lucardes
    ✭✭✭
    MaxBat wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the advice and information. Today I tried to jump into a anchor and got smacked down almost instantly. I was the first player to the area and was attacked by multiple enemies 3+ levels above me.http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/74257/any-success-working-quests-while-below-the-recommended-level?#

Anchor's are not meant for solo but Anchors aside. You could def. solo creatures 5 levels or so above you, goes along with quests as well.
    Lucefer
    #1 Sorcerer in EP Dawnbreaker