The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Complaint about the Crown Store and the Morrowind Chapter pricing vs steam price

luizhd
luizhd
✭✭✭
Alright, so I was trying to keep this private with the game`s support team, but since they closed the ticket with a copy/paste reply that had absolutely nothing to do with the issue, I figured I`d ask about it in here where other people can see it.

So a few years ago I purchased the Tamriel Unlimited Standard Edition at it`s retail price (almost 2x higher than the current one), but stopped playing since the game wasn`t that interesting to me at the time. I then came back to check it a few months ago and noticed the Morrowind chapter was no longer available on steam, but that it had been added to the new Standard Edition, which was a lot chapter than what I had paid back then. I figured they had given it to everyone in order to give people more incentive to play and was quite happy with that. However I didn`t start playing it again until a couple of weeks ago. Now by no means I`m complaining about monetizing a game. I myself am not shy when it comes to spending money in-game for cosmetics and have spent up to 40 bucks on my first week back in it buying personalities, hairs, decorations and outfits.

It was only 2 weeks later that I noticed I had no access to the Morrowind content. That was a big boomer, but hey... it happens right? Companies are here to make money, not charity. So I went on steam to see the Standard Edition`s price. It was 25CAD (Canadian Dolars), however I was told it would need a new account, which meant I wouldn`t be able to use my current character. Now sure, I`m only level 17 and that`s probably super easy to get to anyone else, but I`m a busy guy and can only play 1 to 2 hours a night and i`m certainly not focusing on grinding to level up. Instead I like focusing on the story and hearing every dialog. So I logged into the game and opened the DLC bar on the crown store to see how much the chapter costs, imagining it would certainly be less than the standard edition since it`s an expansion. Nope. It costs 40CAD. (3500 crowns) Lemme explain this again. To buy the Morrowind expansion in-game you have to pay more than you would pay for the standard edition which comes with both the full base game and the expansion. What?! Is that some sort o joke? I thought so so I contacted the support but rather than having someone look into the issue I got my ticket closed down in less than 5 mins with the message "You will not receive a further response to this ticket.".

This is so nonsensical to me... It literally feels as if they are holding my character hostage, forcing me to pay more for a DLC that shouldn`t cost half of it`s price or subscribe to their subs system, which wouldn`t give me permanent access to it, only temporary. Not to mention I`ve found multiple threads on the internet saying the morrowind chapter isn`t included on the Plus. Sure, it`s just a 15 dollars difference between the steam basegame + morrowind and the DLC price in-game, but it`s quite infuriating that they`d do such a thing. Bear in mind that I would actually have paid for it if they were charging the same price they charge for the standard edition in the DLC store.

I hope people don`t think I`m just complaining for no reason or crying. I do really enjoy the game and wanna support it forward, but I don`t wanna have my character being held hostage to force me to pay more for something a new player who hasn`t invested any money yet gets for free when he/she buys the base game.

I fully expect this thread to be quickly locked or even deleted seeing how quickly they took down my private ticket, but hey... might as well try. Right? also maybe I`m wrong. Maybe I`m not seeing something that would explain such difference in pricing. If that`s the case, feel free to correct me down bellow.

Here`s a picture showing the pricing.

3iBjnYL.jpg
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you not find a cheap Morrowind chapter code to apply? There must be old retail/steam copies of Morrowind for less that $40 online these days. This would also get you Warden along with the DLC. Although I can't promise the codes would still work.

Option 2 is sub to the game and just get all the content for xxCAD/Month, with Summerset likely coming as a DLC in few months when Elsweyr becomes the latest chapter.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Can you not find a cheap Morrowind chapter code to apply? There must be old retail/steam copies of Morrowind for less that $40 online these days. This would also get you Warden along with the DLC. Although I can't promise the codes would still work.

Option 2 is sub to the game and just get all the content for xxCAD/Month, with Summerset likely coming as a DLC in few months when Elsweyr becomes the latest chapter.

I`m currently trying to get a key on a retail, but I didn`t wanna have to do so since it wouldn`t be coming directly from bethesda itself. A shame really :/
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    luizhd wrote: »

I`m currently trying to get a key on a retail, but I didn`t wanna have to do so since it wouldn`t be coming directly from bethesda itself. A shame really :/
    Your base with your character is on Steam or outside of Steam? If you can afford it and don't mind paying the costs then ESO Plus (subscription) is probably the best option for you as you'll get access to all the content the game offers with exceptions of Summerset and Elsweyr (June 2019), as well as all the perks it grants you.

They were also doing a deal where you could pre-order Elsweyr and get Morrowind and Summerset collectors editions, not sure if that one is still going though.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsweyr update preorder still holds Morro and Summer as a gift inside, OP, that's ur chance.
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭

Your base with your character is on Steam or outside of Steam? If you can afford it and don't mind paying the costs then ESO Plus (subscription) is probably the best option for you as you'll get access to all the content the game offers with exceptions of Summerset and Elsweyr (June 2019), as well as all the perks it grants you.

They were also doing a deal where you could pre-order Elsweyr and get Morrowind and Summerset collectors editions, not sure if that one is still going though.

Yeah my account and character are connected to my steam account. And sadly it seems you only get morrowind and summerset if you buy it with the base game. The upgrade only has the Elsyweyr itself.
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you don't mind getting a whole new account here is my advice.
    Make a new account on the https://www.elderscrollsonline.com website.
    Then buy through their website the Elsweyr™ Digital Standard Edition. yes this is a lot but you get base game + Morrowind + Warden + Summerset and when it comes out Elsweyr.
    And you get to play right away all but the Elsweyr content.
    (though you do get the horse right away)

Also, by buying through the website instead of through steam, you can avoid any future steam induced connection errors.

Pricing of the Elsweyr edition, i duno in CAD, its 60 euros here in europe.

Do note, buying the elsweyr digital upgrade, does not include morrowind or summerset. Only the digital edition does.
    (I know, wording could be better)

Do note, getting the summerset digital upgrade does NOT include morrowind. And getting it through eso+ does NOT include the warden profession. That was moved as a separate crown store buy.

Morrowind was made a dlc when summerset came out but they removed the warden from it so it would sell them standalone game copies i guess.
    We expect summerset to become a dlc and thus added to eso+ after Elsweyr comes out. but this has not been officially confirmed. its simply conform the only other expansion chapter sold so far. Its possible they put jewelry crafting in the crownstore then.

I hope all of this was informative and helps you make a choice.
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭
    I don`t wanna make a new account. I`ve already invested quite a bit of money and in this one :/.
    Right now I`m trying to acquire a steam key for Morrowind on a retrail webpage and hoping it`ll still work.
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭
    Ended up getting it for 24cad at green man gaming. The ESO account seems to have accepted the key, so I`m hoping i`ll be able to test it out later tonight once I`m back from work
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ended up getting it for 24cad at green man gaming. The ESO account seems to have accepted the key, so I`m hoping i`ll be able to test it out later tonight once I`m back from work
    Awesome! Glad its worked out for you, hope its all smooth when you get to play it.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    hey OP, ESO+ does grant access to the Morrowind zone, just not the Warden If summerset follows that example you'll be able to access the zone once Elswyer launches just by having ESO+

(I also have suspicions Jewelrycrafting will go base-game like Battlegrounds, but that's more a hopeful thing)
    Edited by Jhalin on March 23, 2019 6:04AM