Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The unfortunate lack of a "RP server" and what will be done about it?

Isidor
Isidor
I haven't quite figured out what the proper forum section for this would be, but this seemed to be the closest fit.

Weren't we supposed to get to answer a bunch of questions that would help the mega server tech place us with "likeminded" players? I'm starting to get quite tired of seeing all the stupid character names not even trying to be lore friendly, characters running around in nothing but their undies and, I know this is a pet peeve for many, players moving about with constant jumping...

This was something I was worried about during pre-launch but I was calmed by the info that we would get to answer those questions that would place us with "likeminded". But all info I can find now is that it's only our guild(s) and friends lists that matters for where the mega server tech places us.

Did that idea with the questions get scrapped? Will anything be done for RP-ers and lore faithfuls to reduce their exposure of players who don't give a guar's dropping about lore?
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% of games have no RP servers. The 10% that did have since closed them. Yes lets make individual dead servers to appease a small population.
    Edited by Ragnar_Lodbrok on April 8, 2014 10:12PM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • pysgod1978b14_ESO
    Work around it. Role players on EvE manage it.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    RP servers seldom if ever have a large RP population. I know because I've tried practically all of them in just about every MMO out there. About the most RPing I ever saw was on a regular server in City of Heroes-- Virtue server.

You'll notice there's no open PvP server, either-- just Cyrodiil that you zone into, period. There are inns that some people like to RP in. We all have to make do I guess. But trying to control the entire world around you is futile and silly; you don't own the game nor do you pay others' subs. It's not up to you to determine what other people name their characters. If it bothers you that much, play Skyrim. Nobody's name is out of place there. :D
    Edited by Thesiren on April 8, 2014 10:16PM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, the multiple guild aspect will help. Instead of joining one roleplaying guild and being screwed if people aren't online, you can join several and hedge your bets.

Also, people have created a very large OOC roleplaying guild to chat and meet other roleplayers.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    While am only a light RPer on my best day, I do get annoyed sometimes with that goes on in game chat. So I set a few tabs on my chat window using the options and POOF! I have a tab I can select that has only Zone chat, another that has only group chat, another for my PvP guilds and group , and finally one for my PvE guilds and group.

As far as not seeing the other people in game, just tell yourself that they have been blessed by Sheogorath and who are you to deny the Mad God his fun?

Also, submit /feedback in game! ZOS pays people to read it, sort it, and count how many times they get the same request.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear god, Laz. Your signature. I'm laughing so hard.

The funny thing is I'd type something similar into zone chat, except using the actual lyrics for the song...just leading in with "Heeeeey, jute.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    I wish there was a phase on the servers for roleplayers, that normally means more grown up conversations, no chats full of real world racism and sexism as I keep seeing this week. Just a lot of creative people having a good laugh and enjoying the world of ES. I wish.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the best of my knowledge, that's kinda the way the megaserver works. It'll place you by guild first, then friends list, then randomly.
    However, due to my refusal to join a guild for -any- reason, I'm stuck with just my friends list. (Which is really small right now).
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone looking for a laid back medium RP guild should try Dragon Tears. Friend @Rastafariel, @Tarie or @Nytlite for details or check us out on the RP guild forums of this website.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • Dovel
    Dovel
    ✭✭✭
    90% of games have no RP servers. The 10% that did have since closed them. Yes lets make individual dead servers to appease a small population.

This is your first MMO I see. lol

• eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always imagine that Sheogorath has kidnapped you and trapped you in a parallel Tamriel for his own amusement.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eNumbra wrote: »
    You could always imagine that Sheogorath has kidnapped you and trapped you in a parallel Tamriel for his own amusement.

I laughed at that one, well played.

Just so you know, Legolas exists in The Elder Scrolls. He might well be in the form of a Khajit, but he exists nonetheless. I saw him with my own eyes standing on dock either at the roost or Auridon. Can't remember, but I followed him and I made damn sure I could get a screen shot.

I've seen enough names like Captain Thunderpants and <insert your double entendre here> to know that those who enjoy RP will be having a tough time at the moment, all I can say is, thank the nine you aren't playing console as I see console being only more of the same.

Yes, there was talk of that like minded player business, where people 'like' you would be grouped or instanced around you, however I believe that Idea was scrapped very early on. I don't remember as to why this was idea was scrapped, there was some talk of it being very complex and perhaps to difficult, and the old forum that discussed it in length is now gone.

I'd submit a message to ZOS about it, just don't expect an answer anytime soon as there seems to be an abnormally large amount of people that can't read clear instructions and are thus having login issues, or account issues so anything you get back from ZOS about those kinds of questions will be a long time coming back to you. As an example, there was one person in the support part of the forum going mental because he had been entering in his game code for two days now and it still won't except it. Turns out he was using his explorers pack game code and not the actual game code. It pays to read the fine print.

For what it's worth, I've found the urge's of being swept up in a moment in this game overpower my RP character, and more often than not I'm struggling with keeping my RP identity and story going. ESO has been hard for me to seriously RP, funny thing is I don't see this now as an RP game. I think it's more than that, if that makes sense. I think it's taken RP to another level, but then it's what you make of it I guess.

Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Isidor
    Isidor
    kijima wrote: »
    *snip*

(your post is long and just above this one so I cut it)

Thanks for an insightful post. :)

That the system I'm asking for would have been too complex to be put into the game sounds reasonable. I suppose I just have to hope they pick up those plans again so it may become a reality in the future.

• Aureli
    Aureli
    ✭✭✭
    Well, The Secret World has an active and lively community of roleplayers. It's great, but super annoying as well because on some servers folks won't answer a direct question unless you "roleplay" it.

Given the clunky chat (i.e. you need to type out all chat emotes, no macros or shortcuts there), the very early stage the game is still in, in terms of player base development and additional tools, there hasn't been much to help out the would-be roleplayers.
    Rastafariel suggested your only real recourse at this point in time, find an RP focused guild and run with them.
  • mark.markandb16_ESO

Utter BS

Hmmm....Everquest 2.....Antonia Bayle RP server....Been the most populated server since launch.

Nuff said
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all fairness, even RP servers don't have much more RP than non-RP servers in games.

I played Antonia Bayle on EQ2. Yes, there were RP guilds, but most people still didn't RP.

They've built this game to encourage RP and immersion, but you can't force a horse to drink after you've led it to water.

What you should be looking for is RP guilds.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Allumis
    Allumis
    ✭✭✭
    I abandoned RP after my first three days in the early access, people simply weren't interested in joining in with me.
    Hopefully they look at ways of allowing a better RP community to thrive within the game but I don't see it being a high priority right now.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best RP server these days ia an RP guild. Try find a very active one and then just turn your /zone chat off (others too if you want. There really isn't much of an market for RP market today from what I can see, but that doesn't mean that they're not important. :)
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly RPing on a single region-wide server isn't going to happen in a way that makes RPers, for example there can't be a naming rule that will be okay for RPers that can possibly be enforced across hundreds of thousands, and public chat channels can't possibly be restricted in the way other games do their RP servers.

I'm not an RPer but I can see that ESO in particular, given the 'franchise' (I hate that word but hopefully you get what I mean) would attract some serious RPing and it's sad that it's one of the MMOs least likely to provide a satisfying RP environment.
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    The official rp server in lotro was pretty crowded and awesome. I would have loved the same thing here.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭

Why make up stupid lies like this? It makes you look silly...
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mie87 wrote: »
    The official rp server in lotro was pretty crowded and awesome. I would have loved the same thing here.
    An interesting aspect of that is that the RP server was an EU thing only, implemented by Codemasters. Turbine in the US never had one and refused to establish one, until they migrated the EU system off Codemasters back in 2010 (or whenever that sad event occurred).
    Edited by KerinKor on April 9, 2014 11:35AM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In many games that don't have dedicated RP servers, over time certain locations become "common roleplaying" spots. It is likely the same will happen here. An out of the way building with minimal NPCs, etc. A cool campsite in the middle of nowhere.
    Edited by Vikova on April 9, 2014 2:57PM
  • mark.markandb16_ESO
    Necessity is the mother of all invention

or

Build it and they will come.

Hmm...now I'm confused

Either way if there is sufficient demand...it will happen :smiley:
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necessity is the mother of all invention

or

Build it and they will come.

Hmm...now I'm confused

Either way if there is sufficient demand...it will happen :smiley:

Its keeping it going once its build that is the hard part.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im in an RP guild with 60 other people. And its growing every day. We've even located one or two locations in our Alliance that act as 'Guild Houses'. Places we can go to that are generally quiet, large enough for everyone and has the kind of feel needed for the setting.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    I lead an RP Guild of about 50 people. We expect to continue growing. I would suggest the only thing to do now is join a good RP guild and get as many RP friends on your friends list as possible, to that the shard magic places you with other RPers as much as possible.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • thedemiseraphb14_ESO
    I do know Zeni has mentioned more than once that they are planning to add more features and functations for RP'ers, lots of this game will grow past launch.
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it'd be cool if they added an option to toggle for RP/not that would give people an affinity for a certain instance in each zone. Not a hard rule, just a slight nudge to help like-minded people gather when/where possible.
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.