The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

The Weird Case of the Missing ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/(any) folder.

jsabotin
jsabotin
Soul Shriven
So here's an odd issue. I've installed the Mac client twice, once in final open Beta, and once again just a bit ago. Both times, the install failed to create this particular folder pathway where all the user-relevent data goes: text logs, error logs, screen shots, add ons, and so on.

Doing a complete search of the computer yields NO files or folders of ANY kind related to ESO at all except for the installer and the launcher (the stuff in the Applications area).

The game runs absolutely fine in every respect. I first noticed the issue because I couldn't find where to install add ons. When notified of the other folders that would be living with it, I couldn't find those either. Attempting a screenshot crashes the game. Obviously it can't find where to store it?

The ONLY out of ordinary thing with my setup is that the game is installed on an SSD system drive, and my ~user/documents folder is on a second HDD. My SSD drive doesn't have my user profile stuff on it. Can't imagine this would make a difference, but who knows.

Any thoughts or ideas? Very weird!
Edited by jsabotin on April 8, 2014 5:17AM
  • Sophex
    Sophex
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/71472/mac-add-on-path-on-my-computer-doesn-t-match-every-listed-mac-install-path#latest

Here is a discussion in the add-on section of the forums. One suggestion was taking a screenshot through the game and it will create its own documents/Elder Scrolls Online/ Screenshots folder. Then if necessary you can create your own add-on folder.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have the game install on a separate partition it will still use the default location i.e. the default HD/SSD. If you have moved it then check this.

To get it to work in the partition you game is create a false folder with directory structure like this:

If your SSD is named "SSD" and your username is "bob", you'd create this path:

/Volumes/SSD/Users/bob/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns

Make sure the permissions on that are set to allow writing (In Terminal use: sudo chmod -R /Volumes/SSD/Users/bob)

The Permissions need to at least allow the User to Read & Write.

If you have the EU install then it is not live but liveeu folder name.

If you moved your User home folder to another partition or external drive then check the first post in this thread which should work.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 8, 2014 12:40PM
  • skinnycheeks
    skinnycheeks
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    If you have the game install on a separate partition it will still use the default location i.e. the default HD/SSD. If you have moved it then check this.

To get it to work in the partition you game is create a false folder with directory structure like this:

Make sure the permissions on that are set to allow writing (In Terminal use: sudo chmod -R /Volumes/SSD/Users/bob)

If you moved your User home folder to another partition or external drive then check the first post in this thread which should work.

I FOUND A SOLUTION. This may be why some of you are having problems and some are not.

I did everything Moonraker said in the post and it did not work. After running the game consultant I noticed that it was referring to my home folder as "Skinnycheeks" but the actual home folder's name is "Skinnycheeks 1". I'm thinking that it might not be picking up on the space for those who have a space in the name of the home folder. Kind of weird but I made a folder under "users" that was named "Skinnycheeks" and followed the rest of moonraker's instructions and it worked!

So to sum it up, if you have a space and anything after it in your home folder name, then just make a new folder with the first part of your username and see if that works for you.
  • jsabotin
    jsabotin
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the response folks. My problem seemed to be that my home folder was on a different drive than the game itself. I created the entire string of folders on the system/game drive, and magically, all the folders appeared and populated. Addons, screenshots, etc., all work fine. I can even report bugs and players with F1 and not crash finally.

I appreciate it!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »

I FOUND A SOLUTION. This may be why some of you are having problems and some are not.

I did everything Moonraker said in the post and it did not work. After running the game consultant I noticed that it was referring to my home folder as "Skinnycheeks" but the actual home folder's name is "Skinnycheeks 1". I'm thinking that it might not be picking up on the space for those who have a space in the name of the home folder. Kind of weird but I made a folder under "users" that was named "Skinnycheeks" and followed the rest of moonraker's instructions and it worked!

So to sum it up, if you have a space and anything after it in your home folder name, then just make a new folder with the first part of your username and see if that works for you.
    Very useful information @skinnycheeks. Thanks for posting it. Should help others in the same position with some name with spaces etc.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    jsabotin wrote: »
    Thanks for the response folks. My problem seemed to be that my home folder was on a different drive than the game itself. I created the entire string of folders on the system/game drive, and magically, all the folders appeared and populated. Addons, screenshots, etc., all work fine. I can even report bugs and players with F1 and not crash finally.

I appreciate it!
    Glad it works for you @jsabotin :) Enjoy Tamriel.