Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New player character question

sicmetal43
sicmetal43
Soul Shriven
Hey everyone, I'm finally getting into the game and I'm trying to decide what I want to play. I used to play WoW and I tanked raids and pvp'd with a warrior, also leveled a death knight and druid. In skyrim and oblivion I'm usually a sneaky assassin.
I'm trying to decide between a Dragonknight or Nightblade, which class would you suggest I play and for each should I play magika or stamina?
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    sicmetal43 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm finally getting into the game and I'm trying to decide what I want to play. I used to play WoW and I tanked raids and pvp'd with a warrior, also leveled a death knight and druid. In skyrim and oblivion I'm usually a sneaky assassin.
    I'm trying to decide between a Dragonknight or Nightblade, which class would you suggest I play and for each should I play magika or stamina?

Well a DK would fill those roles perfect, but if you want something with a bit of druid I'd go warden.
  • sicmetal43
    sicmetal43
    Soul Shriven
    I haven't gotten the morrowind expansion yet but I do have summerset, how is Warden
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are looking for a sneaky assassin, Nightblade will fit that archetype.

If you want a class that naturally lends itself to tanking, Dragonknight has a lot of tank-oriented class skills.

They play very differently in PVP. Nightblades have higher burst damage and stealth available, where DKs tend to use CC and sustained pressure to win fights.

However, both classes can tank and do stealthy PVE content, so its certainly possible to have fun with both classes and either stamina or magicka.
  • sicmetal43
    sicmetal43
    Soul Shriven

If you want a class that naturally lends itself to tanking, Dragonknight has a lot of tank-oriented class skills.

They play very differently in PVP. Nightblades have higher burst damage and stealth available, where DKs tend to use CC and sustained pressure to win fights.

However, both classes can tank and do stealthy PVE content, so its certainly possible to have fun with both classes and either stamina or magicka.

What are the major differences between magika and stamina for dps and tanking? I know the class differences pretty well just don't know which I want to do, but I don't know what's different exactly between magika and stamina builds
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't gotten the morrowind expansion yet but I do have summerset, how is Warden

PvP wise they are great. They get a bit of everything and of you can build around the buff centric class it will reward you PvP wise. PvE healing and Tank are the rolls it fulfills best.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the major differences between magika and stamina for dps and tanking? I know the class differences pretty well just don't know which I want to do, but I don't know what's different exactly between magika and stamina builds

Magicka DD builds use the destruction staff while Stamina DD builds use the Bow, and typically Dual Wield. There are more class skills that use magicka, while stamina builds use a few morphs and more weapon skills. Most Magicka DDs aside from MagDKs have an easier time fighting from range than most stamina builds, who usually fight from melee range. In dungeons that won't matter too much, but for Trials it does make a difference for team composition as there are some fights that are better done from ranged.

With tanking, you balance mechanics like block, bash, debuffs, and interrupt (requiring stamina) and buffs/crowd control skills (usually requires magicka). So both are useful for tanks, and stamina and magicka tanks are both certainly viable. With harder content, stamina is probably more forgiving the more you have to be able to block. I enjoy my MagDK Tank for the superior battlefield control, but I can't fully compare because my StamDK is apparently stuck in leveling limbo.

Most tanks will use One Hand and Shield for the superior debuffs. You can use Ice Staff on a magicka tank - I found it an okay choice for a back bar on my leveling MagBlade tank.

Hope that helps!
  • sicmetal43
    sicmetal43
    Soul Shriven

Magicka DD builds use the destruction staff while Stamina DD builds use the Bow, and typically Dual Wield. There are more class skills that use magicka, while stamina builds use a few morphs and more weapon skills. Most Magicka DDs aside from MagDKs have an easier time fighting from range than most stamina builds, who usually fight from melee range. In dungeons that won't matter too much, but for Trials it does make a difference for team composition as there are some fights that are better done from ranged.

With tanking, you balance mechanics like block, bash, debuffs, and interrupt (requiring stamina) and buffs/crowd control skills (usually requires magicka). So both are useful for tanks, and stamina and magicka tanks are both certainly viable. With harder content, stamina is probably more forgiving the more you have to be able to block. I enjoy my MagDK Tank for the superior battlefield control, but I can't fully compare because my StamDK is apparently stuck in leveling limbo.

Most tanks will use One Hand and Shield for the superior debuffs. You can use Ice Staff on a magicka tank - I found it an okay choice for a back bar on my leveling MagBlade tank.

Hope that helps!

So basically magika or stamina comes down to do you want to fight ranged or melee? But sounds like magika is slightly better?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope that helps!

So basically magika or stamina comes down to do you want to fight ranged or melee? But sounds like magika is slightly better?

Kind of? I'd say its more whether you want to fight with staves and class skills (Magicka) or Bow/DW and a few stam morphs (Stamina).

Thing is, the meta for end-game PVE changes every update and what is "better" changes with it. So honestly, I'd go with what you think you'll like to play.
  • sicmetal43
    sicmetal43
    Soul Shriven

Hope that helps!

Kind of? I'd say its more whether you want to fight with staves and class skills (Magicka) or Bow/DW and a few stam morphs (Stamina).

Thing is, the meta for end-game PVE changes every update and what is "better" changes with it. So honestly, I'd go with what you think you'll like to play.

Similar to WoW and other mmo's there's never a "better" I just hate having to take the time messing around with all of them trying to figure out which I like better lol
  • sicmetal43
    sicmetal43
    Soul Shriven

Hope that helps!

What about Warden? Is that class pretty good?
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades have a steeper learning curve than dragonknights. It takes longer to master nightblades, but once you do, they're pretty deadly and fun to play.
    Dragonknights are deadly and fun to play too, but are easier to master.
    Warden is currently my favorite class, though. They're super fun, and make great healers.
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭

Hope that helps!

Basically any class is good on the right hands. The best damage are magica templars and nightblades and staminanightblades. Altough new dungeons are more easier with ranged builds so that would be safer option to stars.

For tank you should go with Dragonknight as they have some really usefull skills tanking wise. When you learn the ropes any class can be viable tank.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope that helps!

I loved my MagWarden for healing. Its qui9te distinct from Templar, which I personally never really got into.
    I loved my Stam Warden in PVP and tanking. Its a real beast in PVP when played well if you can get the burst timing down on some of their abilities.

So, IMO, Warden is fun, but its generally more of a "jack of all trades, master of none" than the other classes. Part of that is due to ZOS wanting to make it versatile without everyone complaining that its Pay2Win.
    Edited by VaranisArano on March 4, 2019 4:23PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The four original classes roughly line up to
    DragonKnight = Tank
    Templar = Healer
    Sorcerer = Magicka DD - damage via spells
    NightBlade = Stamina DD - damage via physical weapon
    but any of them can do other roles, if configured that way. Warden, as suggested above, probably was intended as "jack of all trades", as the standard roles were already filled. I have no idea what Necrmancer will do.