The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Looking for Improving Advice

Snedlock_1980
Snedlock_1980
Soul Shriven
Hello, I'm Dave. Have been playing for 6 months, addict style! Pretty much all just questing, all done there, but all public dungeons and normal 4 man dungeons done. - I'm CP450. Finally got a grothdar set! I'm running, as per alcast advice, julianos chest, belt, trousers, 2 flame staffs. have spinners shoes, hands, necklace and 2 rings. all purple apart from jewellery which is blue. have grothdar head and shoulders, purple. traits mostly divine and enchantment magika apart from a few, need to transmute a couple but basically good to go I think.

Got a skeleton and my dps was 12.5k at worst to 15k at best. which just seems to me like not very good. I've tried the rotation and i def mess up a few times but generally think i've got it done. few times might put my aoe down twice instead of once, or hit my pre-buffs a bit too often. but not sure how to improve the dps.

I can hold my own in the easy vet dungeons but have been booted halfway though from the 2 or dlc dungeons which is fair enough tbh as I've felt like not sure what I was at but it is frustrating and annoying

am looking for any advice for making progress ie - become regular vet dungeon player (maybe get the city of ash 2 monster se)t, get into trials and make a move into the vet maelstrom arena (I passed level 1, just by the skin of my teeth and it was a horror in the final round! don't want to face level 2 yet!)

Thanks, bit of a ramble but any response would be much appreciated.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, if you have decent gear and stats, the biggest improvements in DPS will come from practicing your rotation with light attack weaving.

Julianos, Spinners, and Grothdarr are definitely decent gear - not optimal for trials but definitely fine for dungeons and getting better gear. So I'd just check that your max magicka and mag regen are high enough that you can sustain your rotation. Then practice!
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you have to light attack and then cancel that attacks animation by pressing an instant skill and do this between every skill unless you need to heavy attack to get resources.

work on this and come back and tell us what you think. Will be interesting.
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    try to post the spells u r using and the rotation (include light attacks in the rotation).

also, about gear, weapons must be golden, but gold out items that you know you will hold onto. And what food are you using? Check your mundus stone, some people forget about it when they switch builds and remain with The Warrior on a mag build.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what class are you running?
    and the gear you have is good you can run any vet content with them you dont even need to gold them only difference would be to the most around 1 to 2k most of it is weaving and rotation.
    https://youtu.be/-SE1jxjAQfE
    check this out he explains quite well.
    apparently my stam warden wear the same gear kragh + hundings + spriggans
    and my mag dk runs grothdar + bsw + silk of sun all purple quality and she hits hard i can selfbuff do 30k+ parse on 6mil dummy dps is more dependend on your weaving as well as latency.
    Edited by r34lian on February 28, 2019 2:25PM
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Snedlock_1980
    Snedlock_1980
    Soul Shriven
    I have about 30 witch mothers brew and a load of sanguine apples! (about 200) usually use sanguine apples when I'm normally playing, when I've done the vet dungeons I take witchmothers brew. Have completed fungal grotto and vaults of madness on vet, been booted from a few of the dlc vet dungeons but dont have a problem with that at the moment to be honest, knew half way though I wasn't right, kept dying and in fairness group was cool, resurrecting me and such but prob was just gong to be weight going into final boss.

Now the light attack/cancel thing seems to me straightforward but I've been trying it and I don't know if i'm going too quick or too slow, i can't quite get it, i hit light, swallow soul, light, swallow soul but it seems to just go swallow and the light attacks don't pass. i do need to work on it. At moment I only work on one bar, switching between two bars I was just messing up. at moment I'm going - merciless resolve, siphoning attacks, blockade of fire, then blasting swallow soul, light, swallow soul and hitting my ultimate when i get it, then repeat. i have twisting path and crippling resove that I know I should use
  • Snedlock_1980
    Snedlock_1980
    Soul Shriven
    breton magika nightblade
  • Snedlock_1980
    Snedlock_1980
    Soul Shriven
    sorry was struggling to work out how to post a pic of my stats link here hopefully works

https://imgur.com/a/414RSVb
  • MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Splitting attribute points is bad juju.
  • Snedlock_1980
    Snedlock_1980
    Soul Shriven
    i should go all magika? because i do get one shot dead a lot in vet/ when i was in vet maelstrom arena/ world bosses, so was thinking bout that but if i put more points in magika will prob be one shot more
  • MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Add a health glyph, if necessary, and use food.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry was struggling to work out how to post a pic of my stats link here hopefully works

https://imgur.com/a/414RSVb

Put everything I to magicka. Try getting gold magicka glyphs on all your armor. If you find it necessary add 1 gold health enchant to either your head, chest, or legs.

At this point start farming Burning spell weave to add to your sets replacing julianos as I think overall this is more damage.

Also farm mothers sorrow jewelry and an inferno staff to replace spinners. Getting your crit % up is overall a lot of damage too

Remember to go double infused on your weapons with shock glyph back bar and flame front bar.

I hear most people are going divines small pieces(feet, hands, belt, shoulder) and infused big pieces(head, chest, legs).

Also try to get valkyn skoria monster set as this will also give you an added line of health and more damage.
    Edited by Haashhtaag on February 28, 2019 3:35PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    breton magika nightblade

i can help here. jsut be aware that magblade is one of the hardest classes to play if not currently the hardest.

just dont be dissappointed becouse of ur current dps it will go up ALOT when u have higher cp. reaching probably 10 k dps more for 300 cp.

the best thing in ur current situation is that u might need a good build first. so follow this build

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-nightblade-build-pve/

he has a beginner gear version too.
    Edited by Noctus on February 28, 2019 3:36PM
  • Snedlock_1980
    Snedlock_1980
    Soul Shriven
    have purple magika glyphs on chest, belt, pants, and shoulder. none on shoes or head. got spell damage on my rings and necklace and fire enchant on my fire staff.

main thing i want is to get all trait's divine but that's hard to do! One or two pledges and random dungeon gets me 1/2 transmute a day but need 50 to change them all tough.

thanks for advice, been meaning to respec and put all points into magic and see how that goes. still building anyway, not evn ventured into craglorn, halfway though summerset and still not touched coldharbour or murkmire.

do get the most enjoyment out of clearing the very tough stuff, now the questing stuff is just so easy it's almost boring.

i want to get to the, not top, but would love to be able to be a good vet dungeon player, maybe do trials and know the mechanics inside out
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have purple magika glyphs on chest, belt, pants, and shoulder. none on shoes or head. got spell damage on my rings and necklace and fire enchant on my fire staff.

main thing i want is to get all trait's divine but that's hard to do! One or two pledges and random dungeon gets me 1/2 transmute a day but need 50 to change them all tough.

thanks for advice, been meaning to respec and put all points into magic and see how that goes. still building anyway, not evn ventured into craglorn, halfway though summerset and still not touched coldharbour or murkmire.

do get the most enjoyment out of clearing the very tough stuff, now the questing stuff is just so easy it's almost boring.

i want to get to the, not top, but would love to be able to be a good vet dungeon player, maybe do trials and know the mechanics inside out

another advice..... for getting transmutation stones go alliance war and get a few points there. this will grant u 50 stones in the end of the campaign.
    Edited by Noctus on February 28, 2019 3:40PM
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have about 30 witch mothers brew and a load of sanguine apples! (about 200) usually use sanguine apples when I'm normally playing, when I've done the vet dungeons I take witchmothers brew. Have completed fungal grotto and vaults of madness on vet, been booted from a few of the dlc vet dungeons but dont have a problem with that at the moment to be honest, knew half way though I wasn't right, kept dying and in fairness group was cool, resurrecting me and such but prob was just gong to be weight going into final boss.

Now the light attack/cancel thing seems to me straightforward but I've been trying it and I don't know if i'm going too quick or too slow, i can't quite get it, i hit light, swallow soul, light, swallow soul but it seems to just go swallow and the light attacks don't pass. i do need to work on it. At moment I only work on one bar, switching between two bars I was just messing up. at moment I'm going - merciless resolve, siphoning attacks, blockade of fire, then blasting swallow soul, light, swallow soul and hitting my ultimate when i get it, then repeat. i have twisting path and crippling resove that I know I should use

Swallow soul has wonky animation I'd suggest practice with force pulse like light attack< force pulse then as you get hang of it add another skill to it and slowly slowly full rotation and as @Haashhtaag said you need all attributes in magica and 17k health with food is enough for vet content.
    Edited by r34lian on February 28, 2019 5:45PM
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton