The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Warning: Lost headgear when refining!

GenericESO
Quick warning:

When refining I lose my headgear... It just disappears. No trace. And no, I'm not deconstructing it.

So if you like your headgear, take it off before refining, just to be on the safe side.

Took me three Orcish helmets to get to that result.
  • Halefire
    Halefire
    ✭✭
    This happened to my character also.

Thought I'd deconstructed it the first time.

• Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me. Hit R to refine at some point yesterday when I was in a rush without having enough raw ore selected and a few minutes later found that my helmet had disappeared.
  • Seikon
    Seikon
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure to submit an in-game /bug report for this one. :)
  • scabrous_ftz
    scabrous_ftz
    ✭✭
    Were you refining your headgear? There is a chance it won't refine and you will lose the item.
    If you were refining something else, then that is an issue.
  • TheBusStop
    TheBusStop
    ✭✭
    If you refine a item, for example a sword with a honing stone, there is a chance that you will destroy the item. If you only use one honing stone that chance is really big (like 90%), but if you use more honing stones that chance gets smaller. when you (I think) use 5 honing stones that chance gets to 0% and you can refine your item without any danger of destroying it. there is a small + icon next to to picture of the honing stone, if you click that you see the percentage of you successfully refine an item rise, keep clicking until this reaches 100%

This applies to the refinement of every item
    Edited by TheBusStop on April 1, 2014 4:22PM
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for heads up. I'll definitely be taking my headgear off before crafting/refining then.
  • clairefunb16_ESO
    Hah, that explains where my hood went. I wasn't trying to improve my hood, so I didn't understand where it went..
  • Wildflower1
    Ha! I lost my hard won cat helm too...wondered where it went. Thanks for the input.
  • TheBusStop
    TheBusStop
    ✭✭
    But if you are not trying to refine your headgear and it disappears anyway, than it is a bug. I know for a fact that when you go to a crafting station and start crafting, your chars helmet becomes invisible for you so you can see your face. Maybe this can bug out so your helmet doesn't come back after you leave the crafting station like it should.

But still, keep in mind that refining an item can destroy that item
    Edited by TheBusStop on April 1, 2014 5:17PM
  • Mantiss
    Mantiss
    Same thing happened to me last night, its a very odd bug. Has nothing to do with improvement, it happens when deconstructing other items. So yeah the last few times I've thrown my helm into my bags while deconstructing and never had that problem. Still hoping they fix this with enough /bug reports.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a known bug that has been around for a while. It's related to the bug where failing to improve an item can also destroy other self made items you're currently wearing.
    :(
  • Myopinion
    Myopinion
    This is so funny. I was wondering where my helmet disappeared to. I just made another one.
  • GenericESO
    Thank you for the comments/answers, ladies and gentlemen. Very insightful and helpful all of them.
  • MachoKing
    MachoKing
    Glad i found out here and not the hard way, thank you for the posts
  • Wildflower1
    Ha! I lost my hard won cat helm too
  • illogicbh
    illogicbh
    ✭✭✭
    Happened to me too. I thought I was going crazy..
    Savvy?

• bakejoshb14_ESO
    TheBusStop wrote: »
    If you refine a item, for example a sword with a honing stone, there is a chance that you will destroy the item. If you only use one honing stone that chance is really big (like 90%), but if you use more honing stones that chance gets smaller. when you (I think) use 5 honing stones that chance gets to 0% and you can refine your item without any danger of destroying it. there is a small + icon next to to picture of the honing stone, if you click that you see the percentage of you successfully refine an item rise, keep clicking until this reaches 100%

This applies to the refinement of every item

I think you've misunderstood OP, and are confusing refining with improving. Items can not be refined, only raw elements are refined. Items can be improved, but I think OP was referring to refining raw materials... there should be no risk of my helmet getting destroyed while I'm refining iron ore into ingots, however this is what's happening... it's a bug, not a player mistake.

Also, I've had a few helmets disappear off my character's head... thought I was losing my mind, lol.
  • achesoma
    achesoma
    Had this same thing happening to me when refining raw jute or hide! Lost 5 crafted light head gear before I figured out what was happening. Hopefully I can at least get mats back since all were crafted by me.

Also, filed 3 bug reports with no response.
    Edited by achesoma on April 5, 2014 3:00AM
  • LeBisse
    LeBisse
    I lost my very first blue drop to this. Submitted an in game ticket without response.
  • Brontu
    Brontu
    Same thing happened to me and i thought it just broke. Now I know where it went!
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    I have a theory that I haven't tested that if what your refining hits 0 and you hit R again is when it happens
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Salsadoom wrote: »
    I have a theory that I haven't tested that if what your refining hits 0 and you hit R again is when it happens
    This could be it. This bug never happened to me but also I don't spam R.

If someone can confirm that their helm disappeared and know for sure they were hitting R singly instead of tapping the keyboard.
  • Doomulus
    Doomulus
    Also happened to me. Helmet disappeared out of nowhere while metalworking (I wear a medium helmet) so it had nothing to do with me working on it. Bug! Fix asap please this could be horrible for some people with hard to acquire helms!!
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    Lost my warlock set helm at some point last night. Thought I was going crazy, thanks for the fyi and lets hope that this bug gets figured out and fixed asap.
  • Raapnaap
    Raapnaap
    ✭✭
    Uhm, wow, and here I was thinking the server had a rollback or something. I logged in one time after a crafting session the previous day, no hood on my character anymore.

Only my head piece was missing... Very strange bug!