The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Keep 2H Competitive - Spears with Crit Bonus

twing1_
twing1_
✭✭✭✭
TL;DR Spears should be added to the game as a 2H weapon that grants critical chance (similar to dual daggers) to help bridge the gap between DW and 2H in endgame PvE viability.

For endgame PvE content, the vast majority of builds prefer dual wield over 2 handed weapons because they offer higher dps. A large part of this is because dual wielding daggers gives you a bonus to critical chance.

Currently, there is no 2H weapon that grants you a similar bonus to critical chance.

Adding a 2H weapon that grants a bonus to critical chance would only help to bridge the gap between these two weapon types and make the 2H skill tree more competitive for endgame PvE content.

Given the abundance of NPC characters that use spears in this game, I feel it would be quite fitting to introduce this weapon as an option for the player base to use under the 2H skill tree that grants a bonus to critical chance.

The introduction of spears would require very little effort on ZOS's part, as it would not require a new skill tree or moveset. They already have animations for spear use too, as evidenced by the NPC characters that use it. It would simply require the addition of a new type of item under the existing 2H skill line, and a slight alteration to the "heavy weapons" passive skill (the likes of which is already available to be copy pasted from the DW skill line). That's it.
Edited by twing1_ on February 23, 2019 4:58PM
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well overall I'd say why not.

It doesnt have to be a new skilline, a new weapontype to a already exisiting skilline could also help.

the Extra grind for researching traits seems fair IMO, it will add some new stuff for crafters for sure.

One thing that would need some love is the loottabels, since the weapons should be implemented in all set loottabels.

PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• BattleAxe
    BattleAxe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twing1_ wrote: »
    TL;DR Spears should be added to the game as a 2H weapon that grants critical chance (similar to dual daggers) to help bridge the gap between DW and 2H in endgame PvE viability.

For endgame PvE content, the vast majority of builds prefer dual wield over 2 handed weapons because they offer higher dps. A large part of this is because dual wielding daggers gives you a bonus to critical chance.

Currently, there is no 2H weapon that grants you a similar bonus to critical chance.

Adding a 2H weapon that grants a bonus to critical chance would only help to bridge the gap between these two weapon types and make the 2H skill tree more viable for endgame PvE content.

Given the abundance of NPC characters that use spears in this game, I feel it would be quite fitting to introduce this weapon as an option for the player base to use under the 2H skill tree that grants a bonus to critical chance.

The introduction of spears would require very little effort on ZOS's part, as it would not require a new skill tree or moveset. They already have animations for spear use too, as evidenced by the NPC characters that use it. It would simply require the addition of a new type of item under the existing 2H skill line, and a slight alteration to the "heavy weapons" passive skill (the likes of which is already available to be copy pasted from the DW skill line). That's it.

I would much rather see spears be usable with shields # This is sparta
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is an easy to implement solution to many players wanting spears.

Come on ZOS!
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    2H is already viable in PvE, but it would be much more competitive with DW with one simple solution: fix Wrecking Blow.

2H is a solid choice for classes that don't have an execute or a spammable (DKs and Sorcs). Wrecking Blow hits really hard (harder than Crushing Weapon or anything in the DW tree), Carve grants Minor Heroism, Executioner is really strong. The Asylum and BRP 2H weapons are strong.

I do support the idea of a crit-granting 2H weapon and have for a long time, but IMO, the simplest solution to start leveling the playing field is to address the viability of Wrecking Blow as a PvE spammable and get rid of its ridiculous cast time. I would run my PvE stamsorc with 2H with that simple change.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spears would be cool AF.

Add them.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spears for Stamina Players.

One Hand and Rune for Magicka Players.

Please?!
  • twing1_
    twing1_
    ✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    2H is already viable in PvE, but it would be much more competitive with DW with one simple solution: fix Wrecking Blow.

2H is a solid choice for classes that don't have an execute or a spammable (DKs and Sorcs). Wrecking Blow hits really hard (harder than Crushing Weapon or anything in the DW tree), Carve grants Minor Heroism, Executioner is really strong. The Asylum and BRP 2H weapons are strong.

I do support the idea of a crit-granting 2H weapon and have for a long time, but IMO, the simplest solution to start leveling the playing field is to address the viability of Wrecking Blow as a PvE spammable and get rid of its ridiculous cast time. I would run my PvE stamsorc with 2H with that simple change.

Viability was indeed the wrong choice of words, competitive is much more fitting.