Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Different races life expectancy

TiZzA93
TiZzA93
✭✭✭
So i understand tharn (imperial) is around 160 yrs old, and the dunmer telvanni wizards like 300+ ?
Whats the average life expectancy for all different races on tamriel, im guessing being a mage pushes it further?
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TiZzA93 wrote: »
    So i understand tharn (imperial) is around 160 yrs old, and the dunmer telvanni wizards like 300+ ?
    Whats the average life expectancy for all different races on tamriel, im guessing being a mage pushes it further?

Strong mages of most races figured out the secret to eternity.
  • TiZzA93
    TiZzA93
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed that with tharn but i thought i saw a lorebook or Npc saying all elven races live hundreds of years, thats what got me thinking do kitty/pig children XD live that long too etc
  • jmaes
    jmaes
    ✭✭
    Human races, on average, have the lifespan of an actual human being. So, 100 years naturally. Tharn is a powerful mage who has extended his life.

Elven races (barring orcs) are two to three times that. So, 200-300 years.

Khajiit and argonians apparently have a similar lifespan to humans.

Orcs are most likely similar to humans as well, but many aging orcs choose to die in combat before they're too old to hold a sword. That probably only applies to traditionalist/stronghold orcs. There's a Nord tale of how the orcs were cursed with a short life, but that's still only a fable.
    Edited by jmaes on February 9, 2019 12:42PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer ages are weird.

We've got Telvanni wizards like Divayth Fyr (at least 4000 years old) and Neloth, who's a old man in Morrowind and reappears in Skyrim.

We've got Barenziah, who had an affair with Talos at the start of the 3rd era and is an old woman by the time of Tribunal at the end of the 3rd era.

We've got this official interview. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Interview_with_a_Dark_Elf

"We've always been curious about the lifespan of elves. We all know they live much longer than all other races, is this true for the Dunmer as well? How many years would it take for you to be considered 'old'?

Alvur Relds: Well, I'm fifty, done my twenty years in the Service, and I'm in the prime of life. I expect another fifty good years, and then I'll be old, and slow, chatting with gaffers around the hearth for another twenty, thirty years. I've known mer still mind-sharp in their late hundreds, and heard of folk 200 and older. My family usually makes it to 120-130, providing we don't get sick or poked in the eye."

So the general thought seems to be that Dunmer live around 200 to 300 years, with certain individuals living longer.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmaes wrote: »
    Human races, on average, have the lifespan of an actual human being. So, 100 years naturally. Tharn is a powerful mage who has extended his life.

Elven races (barring orcs) are two to three times that. So, 200-300 years.

Khajiit and argonians apparently have a similar lifespan to humans.

Orcs are most likely similar to humans as well, but many aging orcs choose to die in combat before they're too old to hold a sword. That probably only applies to traditionalist/stronghold orcs. There's a Nord tale of how the orcs were cursed with a short life, but that's still only a fable.

We don't actually know about Argonians, it's a flat out enigma...Especially since Argonians vary from tribe to tribe culturally, physically and biologically. Sometimes it's stated they live as long as humans and then you have some Argonians who aren't magically adept who are VERY old. Like, older than the tribe old. It could be a thing with the tribe or it could just be that Sap-Speakers and Tree-Minders (Or any "special role" member of the tribe) live exceptionally longer.

The same applies to Khajiit because of their furstocks, we don't know if that "100 year lifespan" only applies to Suthay-Raht or if it applies to all subtypes.
    Edited by Claudman on February 9, 2019 6:39PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer ages are weird.

We've got Telvanni wizards like Divayth Fyr (at least 4000 years old) and Neloth, who's a old man in Morrowind and reappears in Skyrim.

We've got Barenziah, who had an affair with Talos at the start of the 3rd era and is an old woman by the time of Tribunal at the end of the 3rd era.

We've got this official interview. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Interview_with_a_Dark_Elf

"We've always been curious about the lifespan of elves. We all know they live much longer than all other races, is this true for the Dunmer as well? How many years would it take for you to be considered 'old'?

Alvur Relds: Well, I'm fifty, done my twenty years in the Service, and I'm in the prime of life. I expect another fifty good years, and then I'll be old, and slow, chatting with gaffers around the hearth for another twenty, thirty years. I've known mer still mind-sharp in their late hundreds, and heard of folk 200 and older. My family usually makes it to 120-130, providing we don't get sick or poked in the eye."

So the general thought seems to be that Dunmer live around 200 to 300 years, with certain individuals living longer.

Yeah I was gonna aha 'chime' in to point out that some Dunmer (and Altmer) are more or less as old as mundus itself.

I think the general rule is wazards be wazards, and 300 years is a much longer time to figure out the secret to immortality before you die.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • TiZzA93
    TiZzA93
    ✭✭✭
    So pretty much going a bit like lotr with lifespan, anyone with magic lives longer?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So pretty much going a bit like lotr with lifespan, anyone with magic lives longer?

Kind of, except it's nowhere near as long as LotR. Elrond was around 8,000 years old by that point. LotR also has the whole "could live forever if they aren't killed" thing for the elves, which isn't the case in TES.
  • TiZzA93
    TiZzA93
    ✭✭✭

Kind of, except it's nowhere near as long as LotR. Elrond was around 8,000 years old by that point. LotR also has the whole "could live forever if they aren't killed" thing for the elves, which isn't the case in TES.

Oh yes i remember the crazy lotr lifespans lol i actually thoughy orc/kitty would have the same as wood elfs at least but orcs dying in battle before too old etc
  • Hysorn
    Hysorn
    ✭✭
    As far as I know, Elves live around 200-300 years, some lucky ones can live up to 500 without magic.
    Mages however, men, mer or beast can expand their lives for thousands of years or even become immortal.
    Humans live the normal lifespan, usually around 80 and lucky ones until their 100, however, there is a theory that bretons live less than other Men races, I disagree with it, I actually think it's the opposite, they live more, mostly due to Delphine in TESV: Skyrim. She is a 50 years old breton and she is far healthier than other men races of her age.
    Orcs, due to them being cursed elves, they live probably to an max of 80 years, but most choose to die honorably during their 40s.

Argonians and Khajiits I've no idea, there aren't a lot of information on them, I would argue they live less due to their animal genetics, but who knows.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hysorn wrote: »
    As far as I know, Elves live around 200-300 years, some lucky ones can live up to 500 without magic.
    Mages however, men, mer or beast can expand their lives for thousands of years or even become immortal.
    Humans live the normal lifespan, usually around 80 and lucky ones until their 100, however, there is a theory that bretons live less than other Men races, I disagree with it, I actually think it's the opposite, they live more, mostly due to Delphine in TESV: Skyrim. She is a 50 years old breton and she is far healthier than other men races of her age.
    Orcs, due to them being cursed elves, they live probably to an max of 80 years, but most choose to die honorably during their 40s.

Argonians and Khajiits I've no idea, there aren't a lot of information on them, I would argue they live less due to their animal genetics, but who knows.

The Elder Scrolls has never been genetically accurate, so I'll have to disagree on that statement. If anything, Argonians should live relatively long due to the arcane manipulation of their genetic structure because of the Hist. Khajiit stem from Bosmer, so it's very much possible they retain the three century lifespan of the Bosmer.

There simply isn't no lore surrounding it, Argonians vary too much from each other biologically for it to even remain consistent among their race and we'll have to see if they touch base on Khajiiti lifespans in Elsweyr...Given the information so far regarding Betmeri lifespans has been rather vague or outdated, I don't think we'll ever actually know.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

• Hysorn
    Hysorn
    ✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    Hysorn wrote: »

The Elder Scrolls has never been genetically accurate, so I'll have to disagree on that statement. If anything, Argonians should live relatively long due to the arcane manipulation of their genetic structure because of the Hist. Khajiit stem from Bosmer, so it's very much possible they retain the three century lifespan of the Bosmer.

There simply isn't no lore surrounding it, Argonians vary too much from each other biologically for it to even remain consistent among their race and we'll have to see if they touch base on Khajiiti lifespans in Elsweyr...Given the information so far regarding Betmeri lifespans has been rather vague or outdated, I don't think we'll ever actually know.

Yeah. To be honest, I think the loremasters love leaving it vague, they have more freedom to modify it as they see fit. But still, I find it hard to believe that the manmer race lives shorter than other men races as it is often pointed out.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Naryu is over 100, she looks great btw. Divayth I think is old enough to remember being a Chimer.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • Sekt_Tiberlus
    Sekt_Tiberlus
    ✭✭✭
    Argonians have tribe that uses frost magic to prolong their life -“This Chilling Senche-Lizard is quite rare; it comes from very deep in the swamp, from a tribe said to be dedicated to Frost spells as a means of living longer by living slower. Their Hist tree even drips with icicles (whatever they are)!” Yeah, i used the crown store item as a source of deep-lore.

Also, Saxhleel are superior in magic and sorcery and they have a very strong immune system, and, while aging is considered as some sort of a disease, they can live much longer. But, they need to return to the Hist, cause Hist is a some sort of a argonian's database and need to store the memory, knowledge and experience of every saxhleel. Its one of the reasons why reborn argonians sometimes remember their past life when commune with their Hist.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Murkmire is a taste of content to come, we're gonna get exposition dumped with kitty lore once Elsweyr is here.

Including dat juicy mating lore.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »

Thanks for posting this, because I'd vaguely remembered the Devs saying something about life expectancy and that thread pointed me in the right place.

Souce: ZOS' Ask Us Anything: Variety Pack 4, from May 2013
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/481

"Something that is in big debate on every single forum I've seen as of late is the life expectancy of the different races of Tamriel for roleplaying purposes. Can you please elaborate and give us some numbers to work with for each race or at least the Elven races (Altmer, Bosmer, and Dunmer)? – By Nathan Payne / Andrew Hudson

Elves live two to three times as long as humans and the “beast-races” (Orcs, Khajiiti, Argonians). A 200-year-old Elf is old; a 300-year-old Elf is very, very old indeed. Anyone older than that has prolonged his or her lifespan through powerful magic.
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 20, 2019 4:07PM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »

Thanks for posting this, because I'd vaguely remembered the Devs saying something about life expectancy and that thread pointed me in the right place.

Souce: ZOS' Ask Us Anything: Variety Pack 4, from May 2013
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/481

"Something that is in big debate on every single forum I've seen as of late is the life expectancy of the different races of Tamriel for roleplaying purposes. Can you please elaborate and give us some numbers to work with for each race or at least the Elven races (Altmer, Bosmer, and Dunmer)? – By Nathan Payne / Andrew Hudson

Elves live two to three times as long as humans and the “beast-races” (Orcs, Khajiiti, Argonians). A 200-year-old Elf is old; a 300-year-old Elf is very, very old indeed. Anyone older than that has prolonged his or her lifespan through powerful magic.

Though there is lore that contradicts Argonians living a short lifespan...After all it'd be weird for innately magical creatures to live short lifespans. Orcs on the other hand tend to live shorter lives than the races of man, but mostly because of their violent tendencies...And then there is the Khajiit who are a flat-out enigma who could hold the same Elven lifespan as Bosmer.

I don't know if that information is viable six years later as it could've been done away with or discreetly changed, this is why some lorenerds tend to be rather skeptical of OOG lore and why 'OOG' lore is marked as 'OOG'. The reliability is unknown until executed directly in the game.
    Edited by Claudman on February 20, 2019 8:19PM

• mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only life expectancy that I question is that of Bretons. I swear I remember something in either Daggerfall or Oblivion mentioning that they lived longer than most men, but not as long as mer. Can't find anything to confirm that and all theories use only a single (the vary same) quote/reference to prop their position.

It goes, they either live longer, shorter, or of equal expectancy to other humans.

It's odd that something this basic has never been set in stone in lore -- at the same time, leaving it fluid (as well with other races) makes for more flexibility.