Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Best Trait for Maelstrom Arena Healing Staff

Almakor
Almakor
✭✭✭
I've finally got a Maelstrom Healing Staff, but I want the opinion of hardcore player before I change the trait. For record, on my healer I pvp and pve with full Spell Power Cure and Healing Mage sets. What is the best trait to poor on the healing and bring out the staff's full potential?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your new find!

If you're going to be doing both PvP and PvE, the best trait for it is Powered (increase healing done).

Now start working towards your Master's Restoration Staff ... ;)
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Precise. You need to crit to have the staff give you resources back and it heal your heals and your damage. The staff is more of a PvP solo thing. But the vMA resto is garbage for an actual healer though, you can build enough sustain into your toon without it. The vdsa staff though, gives you and your team Stam back. That is much more useful then just giving yourself magic.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 18, 2019 5:35AM
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    Precise. You need to crit to have the staff give you resources back and it heal your heals and your damage. The staff is more of a PvP solo thing. But the vMA resto is garbage for an actual healer though, you can build enough sustain into your toon without it. The vdsa staff though, gives you and your team Stam back. That is much more useful then just giving yourself magic.

I actually already have vDSA healing staff. The reason I farmed for it is to get another staff with a good skill boost enchantment as my off staff for my healer.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almakor wrote: »

I actually already have vDSA healing staff. The reason I farmed for it is to get another staff with a good skill boost enchantment as my off staff for my healer.

what does your build look like?
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭

I already wrote it. Spell Power Cure x Healing Mage full sets; all gold, divine, Atronauch Stone, Arcane Jewelry, Magika enchant all equipment. Basically the idea behind my build is to poor as much heal on as possible, buffing party's weapons while de-buffing enemy weapon power.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I already wrote it. Spell Power Cure x Healing Mage full sets; all gold, divine, Atronauch Stone, Arcane Jewelry, Magika enchant all equipment. Basically the idea behind my build is to poor as much heal on as possible, buffing party's weapons while de-buffing enemy weapon power.

so no monster set? you do know that you yourself have to be with 10 meter to have the debuff from healing mage work right? what i do on my main, temp healer, is wear bogdan's with mendings 5 piece active all the time and with an Olo lightning staff back bar and a front bar vDSA resto. i use either shards or lightning wall to proc olo. Olo is better in almost every way then SPC.

i really do not recommend running dual restos.

but if you really want to do that and your vMA staff is a back bar anyways, then any trait will do because none of them apply to your front bar when you heal. healers run a lightning staff back bar with lighting wall to set off balance (10% more dps for stan, double resources when you heavy attack, not to mention 70% more damage to them from heavy attacks) enemies that are concussed. when you do this, the trait matters, as wall will proc your back bar enchant, infused being the best, with either crusher or a lightning enchant on the lightning staff.

TL;DR trait on a back bar resto staff dont matter.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 18, 2019 4:35PM
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭

so no monster set? you do know that you yourself have to be with 10 meter to have the debuff from healing mage work right? what i do on my main, temp healer, is wear bogdan's with mendings 5 piece active all the time and with an Olo lightning staff back bar and a front bar vDSA resto. i use either shards or lightning wall to proc olo. Olo is better in almost every way then SPC.

but if you really want to do that and your vMA staff is a back bar anyways, then any trait will do because none of them apply to your front bar when you heal. healers run a lightning staff back bar with lighting wall to set off balance (10% more dps for stan, double resources when you heavy attack, not to mention 70% more damage to them from heavy attacks) enemies that are concussed. when you do this, the trait matters, as wall will proc your back bar enchant, infused being the best, with either crusher or a lightning enchant on the lightning staff.

This build has given me great result. So long as my party members are not lacking, it's rare for them to go below half health even on vDSA.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This build has given me great result. So long as my party members are not lacking, it's rare for them to go below half health even on vDSA.

How often your allies' health drops below half is not a meaningful benchmark for a healer. That just tells me you are overhealing. Also dont ever go double resto.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO, the OP wants to PvE and PvP in a healing setup that will go across both.

While Olorime, Mending, and Bogdan’s are an awesome setup for PvE ... it’s not the most ideal setup for PvP. Even with 100% uptime on damage shields.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    How often your allies' health drops below half is not a meaningful benchmark for a healer. That just tells me you are overhealing. Also dont ever go double resto.

What is the benchmark then?

Because healing, buffing the group, and providing support DPS are a sliding scale depending on the group and type of content.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO, the OP wants to PvE and PvP in a healing setup that will go across both.

While Olorime, Mending, and Bogdan’s are an awesome setup for PvE ... it’s not the most ideal setup for PvP. Even with 100% uptime on damage shields.

that is simply an unrealistic goal then, pvp and pve are very different on what a healer is expected to do.
    exeeter702 wrote: »

What is the benchmark then?

Because healing, buffing the group, and providing support DPS are a sliding scale depending on the group and type of content.

there is no real benchmark for a healer. not like a dps. you are asking for a benchmark then say being a healer is a sliding scale, these things do not match up.