Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PC EU/NA Server performance

ErMurazor
ErMurazor
✭✭✭✭✭
Alot of complaints currently about lag on the EU server. You who play on NA, hows your experience? Its laggy aswell? Anyone who play on both servers who can share his/hers experience?
Edited by ErMurazor on February 18, 2019 8:08AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It comes and goes. Lately I haven’t noticed lag the be much worse than normal I guess. Still can’t really function in huge PvP battles but that’s nothing new. I also don’t entirely understand why latency, based on the in game meter, seems to go way up based on the number of players in one area sometimes. Or is latency also factoring in server calculation time which means they’re basically just getting bogged down, whereas ping is just a basic return time with no calculations? My routing service RTT graph shows very little if any variation even in large battles. Ping spikes are entirely different. But it seems to me that the servers are just woefully inadequate for handling the amount of calculations going on and it has nothing to do with your actual connection. I guess this is somewhat common knowledge. People keep asking for new/upgraded servers but I bet that’s not really the issue. Probably just about any hardware they get wouldn’t have much of an effect in this case.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah very bad lag on PC EU
    Its better for me on NA but I seldom play there so my analysis is not really accurate
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High pings are not necessarily be because of network latency. High loads on both the client and server can also result in high ping values.

The lag we complain about when there's 3 raids stacked is not network latency. It is primarily because the server is at maximum load or is experiencing some kind of bottleneck. Though some will also experience client issues under those conditions; for example, when a zerg arrives in the area you're in and causes your client to briefly freeze or stutter while it processes the art assets used by the incoming characters -- this may also increase your ping as your client was unresponsive for a few moments.

Of course, it can also be reflective of network latency when there are issues such as router problems or ddos attacks, but in the case of PC/NA, this seems to be infrequent.
    Edited by zyk on February 18, 2019 8:49AM
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just gave up playing PVP EU in the past days, the lag has increased even further, and now its unplayable for me
    Edited by amir412 on February 18, 2019 9:00AM
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    High pings are not necessarily be because of network latency. High loads on both the client and server can also result in high ping values.

The lag we complain about when there's 3 raids stacked is not network latency. It is primarily because the server is at maximum load or is experiencing some kind of bottleneck. Though some will also experience client issues under those conditions; for example, when a zerg arrives in the area you're in and causes your client to briefly freeze or stutter while it processes the art assets used by the incoming characters -- this may also increase your ping as your client was unresponsive for a few moments.

Of course, it can also be reflective of network latency when there are issues such as router problems or ddos attacks, but in the case of PC/NA, this seems to be infrequent.

This is what they’re hoping to alleviate with more focus on character composites or whatever they said?
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't put any trust in the ingame ping meter. You may be experiencing a severe lag spike of 3-4k ms and ingame it will show an orange ping of 300-400ms only. The value and representation of the ping meter was changed by ZOS several years ago just after patch 1.6 during the "meteor showers" period if you guys played back there.

I believe that ZOS largely reduced the representation of the ping response in mili seconds in an attempt to hide the truth. During that period of time, it was not rare to see our pink spike up to 10-30k for long period of times (10-30mins) during big battles. These days, I believe that an accurate assumption of the actual ping we get on a Friday or Sunday night during large battles would be between 6 and 10k (6 and 10 seconds delay).

The best way to test this is to cast skills which have cast times. For example, proximity detonation, shalk, etc. Once you have successfully casted the skill (you see the animation on your screen), start counting the time it should take for the skill to register and deal damage. At that point, the additional time correspond to the actual ping you have on the server.

It is not rare for me to cast shalks, see the blue circles around my character, and wait 6-10 seconds for the damage to register from my floating combat text even if my ingame ping meter shows only 250-300ms.

On top of that, add 5-8 multiple attempts to get the skill to cast successfully.
    Edited by frozywozy on February 18, 2019 3:29PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • killimandrosb16_ESO
    killimandrosb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    been playing a lot on NA lately, pve/pvp/bg's. The performance is incredibly much better. So much I have decided to recide over there for now.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for input guys, Been playing on EU since start, but PvP are unplayable. So im gonna move over aswell.
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    NA's been pretty smooth for me, always 100-120ms ping, but I haven't been on EU since the Summerfall event and I don't play in the crowded Vivec campaign.
  • Rin_Senya
    Rin_Senya
    ✭✭✭✭
    NA server performance has always been better, in general, in comparison to EU.
    Anairi ~ EP | NA | AR50 - Dracarys
    Anaire ~ AD/EP | EU | AR50 - Banana Squad/Zerg Squad/AOE Rats

• Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    amir412 wrote: »
    Just gave up playing PVP EU in the past days, the lag has increased even further, and now its unplayable for me

Playing pvp past weeks makes me want to throw pc out of window.
    i3IfafU.gif
    It totally unplayable, even when cyro just at medium population.