Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why Bosmer needs more lore appropriate and balanced passives.

lassitershawn
lassitershawn
✭✭✭✭✭
It is a well-established fact in lore that bosmer are the most impressive archers on Tamriel. This is part of the culture for the necessity of hunting (as dictated by the Green Pact bosmer must not use plants). There is even a special name for bosmeri archers: Jaqspurs. From a gameplay perspective bosmer are just too weak right now and penetration and speed on roll dodging really aren't strong enough. I think it is time for bosmer to get some stealth bonuses back (as stealthy hunters the removal of stealth passives clearly is anti-lore), possibly around 15% more damage from stealth? Considering this bonus is ONLY applied while sneaking I don't think it is overpowered. I also really find it abhorrent actually that bosmer don't get any bow passives. Their entire racial identity is linked to their ability as archers. This is why I propose that bosmer get a unique, lore-appropriate passive that separates them as more of a ranged damage dealer. They need to deal 30% more damage with bows. This might seem like a lot at first but think about it bow really isn't that strong of a weapon in the first place, and bosmer is substantially weaker than races such as orc and dunmer in melee range. People are always complaining that bow/bow builds aren't viable and maybe this will change that. In PvP I think this carves out a nice niche for bosmer as ranged support. Like in lore you help out from the edges of battle as an archer. Strong support from afar but weak if someone gets close to you. What do you guys think?
William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
  • labambao
    labambao
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am deal with 30% more damage, but they need to charge skills longer for that. Snipe with cast time 3 sec is OK.
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's probably a good reason why they removed damage from stealth. They don't want bow gank builds 1 shotting other people in PvP as it's pretty unfair and unhealthy for the game. And a nerf to stealth damage doesn't effect high end PvEers at all so it's a win-win for ZOS.

As for the roll dodge speed increase and pen increase, that passive isn't really supposed to be as strong as it's other passives. Let's look at orc for an example, they get 2k stam, same with bosmer + poison resistance. They get 258 weapon damage + sprint speed + sprint cost reduction while bosmer get 258 regen. And finally orc gets 1k hp with 600 heal/4s while bosmer gets 10% speed increase and 1500 pen after roll dodging which lasts for 6s. The last two seem pretty damn balanced to me. Overall the stam classes actually seem perfect now (imperial could be slightly stronger) and there's a reason to run every one of the stam races depending on your build.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rikumaru wrote: »
    There's probably a good reason why they removed damage from stealth. They don't want bow gank builds 1 shotting other people in PvP as it's pretty unfair and unhealthy for the game. And a nerf to stealth damage doesn't effect high end PvEers at all so it's a win-win for ZOS.

As for the roll dodge speed increase and pen increase, that passive isn't really supposed to be as strong as it's other passives. Let's look at orc for an example, they get 2k stam, same with bosmer + poison resistance. They get 258 weapon damage + sprint speed + sprint cost reduction while bosmer get 258 regen. And finally orc gets 1k hp with 600 heal/4s while bosmer gets 10% speed increase and 1500 pen after roll dodging which lasts for 6s. The last two seem pretty damn balanced to me. Overall the stam classes actually seem perfect now (imperial could be slightly stronger) and there's a reason to run every one of the stam races depending on your build.

Respectfully, I disagree. Snipe has more counters than 90% of the skills in the game with an extremely long travel time. It can be roll dodged, or cloaked. You take almost no damage from it if you block AND it can be reflected which really means that you just cast snipe on yourself. While you're on the topic I think that the Orc HP bonus is actually a good point, this is a clear advantage in tanking ability over bosmer. Perhaps a compromise could be made and the damage from stealth that I propose is removed, while bosmer receive invisibility for 3 seconds after initiating sneak. This is a clear lore-friendly (remember that bosmer area stealthy by nature) option with defensive benefits that bosmer is currently bereft of.
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trolling post, yet small effort was put in writing it. You have to Tae telling seriously man, otherwise you just appear like a buffoon.

4/10
    Edited by Nerftheforums on February 12, 2019 11:32AM
  • bpmachete
    bpmachete
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should change the Hunter Passive instead of it being completely into greater detection, split it between detection and having a smaller radius where they can be detected.

This way Khajiits would be the hardest to detect (which makes sense because they are cats straight up, basically a lunar cycle away from being Heathcliff) and Bosmer the second hardest to detect, maybe like a meter more than Khajits, and then be able to detect more, making them able to detect Khajiits at the same distance as other races can detect non stealth races.

The Roll dodge to Penetration and speed passives are alright, implementing that "flow state" in battle, where they are flowing with the fight with their incredible agility and hitting more acurately their shots in any weakness in the defenses.
    Edited by bpmachete on February 14, 2019 10:01PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing the numbers, I doubt you will all get extra passives and I doubt they will mess with the 2k stam or recovery.

I think bosmer is very lore friendly, just missing an alchemy passive. I think they should get extra seconds added to alchemy items instead of the niche dodge roll penetration. Otherwise most of their stats and focus resembles how they were in Oblivion.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Eiron77
    Eiron77
    ✭✭✭✭
    Needs better stealth, not stealth detection to be lore friendly.

Otherwise, I agree with you. I mean, I hate the roll dodge passive (from a gameplay perspective) but it does fit with their acrobatics skills from past games.
  • bpmachete
    bpmachete
    ✭✭✭
    How about having a bit more sneak, I think taking away the detection fully is a bit off. Maye give them tha extra detection but sacrifice one meter of radius.
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I think 30% to bow damage sounds awesome from a: "I want to be superpowerful" perspective, I don't think its a realistic goal.

Based on their stated goals I really doubt we get anything Bow specific, as much as I would like it.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I think 30% to bow damage sounds awesome from a: "I want to be superpowerful" perspective, I don't think its a realistic goal.

Based on their stated goals I really doubt we get anything Bow specific, as much as I would like it.

That is where the 2k stam comes in.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Eiron77
    Eiron77
    ✭✭✭✭
    bpmachete wrote: »
    How about having a bit more sneak, I think taking away the detection fully is a bit off. Maye give them tha extra detection but sacrifice one meter of radius.

I would be ok with that. As long as there is something that sets bosmers' sneak apart from the other races (khajits aside).
    Edited by Eiron77 on February 14, 2019 10:52PM
  • simeion
    simeion
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see 5% more damage when a target is less than 15% health. Call the passive Feeding Frenzy because Bosmer are supposed to eat their fallen enemies, according to the Green Pack. The bonus damage is a reward sort of a craving because the target is week. Another option is restore 750 of what ever resource has lower percentage after killing a target with a 4-6 second cooldown.
  • Onebitsoul
    Onebitsoul
    ✭✭✭
    How can someone be this out of touch with the game? Holy *** that is a terrible idea. Yeah fine, make Snipe 45% stronger. Jesus Christ.
    Edited by Onebitsoul on February 15, 2019 3:29AM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    After seeing the numbers, I doubt you will all get extra passives and I doubt they will mess with the 2k stam or recovery.

I think bosmer is very lore friendly, just missing an alchemy passive. I think they should get extra seconds added to alchemy items instead of the niche dodge roll penetration. Otherwise most of their stats and focus resembles how they were in Oblivion.

Morrowind: highest initial bonus to stealth, bonus to agility (key to stealth), class recommendations: agent, scout, thief, and archer; all of which have stealth as a class skill.
    Oblivion: highest initial bonus to stealth, bonus to agility (key to stealth), class recommendations: scout, thief, and archer; two of which have stealth as a class skill.
    Skyrim: bonus to stealth (2nd tier, along with Dunmer and Argonian [their first bonus to stealth in any game], 1st tier was Khajiit who had previously had a lower bonus in the previous two games). Class recommendations were scout, thief, and archer, the NPC class tables list stealth as a class ability for those roles.

Lore: Bosmer have the rite of theft, the Meh Ayelidion, and were so good at hiding that other races called it 'forest coupling.'

Yeah, obviously there's no justification whatsoever for Bosmer having a stealth bonus.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • bpmachete
    bpmachete
    ✭✭✭
    A hunter can both detect and avoid being detected, so they should definitely split it to get increased hidding as well as detection. Who can detect a sneaky Khajiit without being detected first. That would have to be the Bosmer.
    Edited by bpmachete on February 15, 2019 12:44PM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They need to deal 30% more damage with bows.

All of AD just started breathing heavily.

Then drooling absently, slackjawed, as we do.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub