Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

collecting skillpoints again and again

Noctus
Noctus
✭✭✭✭✭
who do i need to sacrifice to which deadra to not do this when i start a new character. its just not fun repeating something that lost its purpose after the first time (skyshards). skyshards were there to let a player explore the world now that ive done that why revisit a place ive been several times before. its just a senseless time sink that feels like work and not playing a game.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »
    who do i need to sacrifice to which deadra to not do this when i start a new character. its just not fun repeating something that lost its purpose after the first time (skyshards). skyshards were there to let a player explore the world now that ive done that why revisit a place ive been several times before. its just a senseless time sink that feels like work and not playing a game.

Outside of the skills you use in your build, and additional passives, why do you need to farm skyshards?

I understand for a crafter, but not every character needs to be a crafter. Outside of that, why do you need additional skill points?
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • West1389
    West1389
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know how you feel its mind numbing I hate this part. I do feel bad for the hate you're about to get. Get ready for

You just want everything free
    Why play the game
    What's next fully done toon
    Why stop there how about all skills

This is just some of what you will get. Again I agree with you even though people hate on this. I think CP is way worse my new toon is beyond powerful at lv 1 than if I would have skill points.

Also just because you have let's say 50sp you still have to level and unlock the passive and skills to put the point in. I get free cp I can put anywhere without leveling up my toon.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    West1389 wrote: »
    I know how you feel its mind numbing I hate this part. I do feel bad for the hate you're about to get. Get ready for

Why play the game

This is just some of what you will get. Again I agree with you even though people hate on this. I think CP is way worse my new toon is beyond powerful at lv 1 than if I would have skill points.

Also just because you have let's say 50sp you still have to level and unlock the passive and skills to put the point in. I get free cp I can put anywhere without leveling up my toon.

i would rather grind up cp again instead of collecting skillpoints the simple reason for it is that cp goes up by doing things that are fun to u on the otherhand collecting skillpoints again forces u to repeat things that u dont want
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The time sink is a feature, not a bug. Along with every other time sink that comes with making a new character.

ZOS wants to keep players playing/grinding ESO as long as possible. Over the whole game population, time sinks keep people playing longer. They may not be playing happily, but they are playing, butt in chair, fingers on keyboard/controller.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The time sink is a feature, not a bug. Along with every other time sink that comes with making a new character.

ZOS wants to keep players playing/grinding ESO as long as possible. Over the whole game population, time sinks keep people playing longer. They may not be playing happily, but they are playing, butt in chair, fingers on keyboard/controller.

as i stated before give me the choice and i gladly grind cp instead of skillpoints
  • JackAshes
    JackAshes
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it is very annoying! I have tried to refine my new character progression to be as efficient as possible because I also do not enjoy it and it keeps me from what I want to do which is PVP.

So I start off with the Main story line in Summerset. Once that is completed I start the Psijic Order quest line which makes you travel all over the old world maps. As I do the quest I get my skyshards and any Magic guild books along the way if it is a magic based toon. Man it feels good when you are done with that garbo and can enjoy playing to toon the way you want!

I will work in normal dungeons as I go just to mix it up and not go insane as you get a complete skill point upon completion of each and soon get to start the other grind for undaunted. 🥴
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly? If you feel that way about it, I'm not sure this is the right game for you when it comes to creating new characters. I don't have the same problem you do, but I also focus on really creating characters who are people with personalities and stories to tell. Exploring the world is always part of their story, and something I enjoy.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This ^^^^

The business model is the longer you're in game, even if you hate it, the more likely you are to spend real money on crowns or content updates.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why play the game

i would rather grind up cp again instead of collecting skillpoints the simple reason for it is that cp goes up by doing things that are fun to u on the otherhand collecting skillpoints again forces u to repeat things that u dont want

Ok. Let's just clarify here.

You are complaining about something that you Personally don't like, and somehow are under the assumption that everyone in the world agrees with you, so therefore something Must be done about it.

You would rather grind cp. Fine. That's You, not all the players. I would rather travel to get the shards, where my New character is gaining xp from entering areas they had not previously been, and gaining xp on the occasional wandering monster, and even finding things I had not found the first time I went shard hunting.

You want to run dolmens all day or run in a circle wiping out mobs, Fine. That's your perogative. But what you enjoy is Not what 'everyone' enjoys. Sky shards are no different than Any bound to the character item. Each character is required to get their own.

Next thing you will want is all the Achievements from one character to carry over to the new character, even though the new character did not do any of them.
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We'll talk about this once you've completed "Caldwell's gold" on all of your chars...

/S
  • West1389
    West1389
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Honestly? If you feel that way about it, I'm not sure this is the right game for you when it comes to creating new characters. I don't have the same problem you do, but I also focus on really creating characters who are people with personalities and stories to tell. Exploring the world is always part of their story, and something I enjoy.

I hate this argument so much, hate when people say the games is not for you. Drives me insane did you read the OP post? He said 1 part just 1 part not the full game he dislikes. Along with a lot of us we also dislike it. So should we all quit the game? Your answer instead of contributing to the post is easy just quit.

Maybe before posting just add something to it. Shocker here we people are not all the same. Some people like different things. That does not mean the game is not for you.
  • West1389
    West1389
    ✭✭✭✭

This makes so much sense and think its correct. No matter how much you want to stab yourself you still are playing. This is good answer and I believe it to be true.
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, you have certain things to do when leveling a character. You level guilds again, you collect book and sky shards again, you discover wayshrines again, you level mount training again. If they removed all the things people didn't like about leveling, you would be able to start at level 50, with all sky shards and books, with perfect gear, and maxed mounts. That IS the leveling process.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

as i stated before give me the choice and i gladly grind cp instead of skillpoints

Well, we could have a system where you can trade every 10 CP above cap into 1 skill point.

But in all seriousness, how many skill points do you need on a character that is not going to be a crafter and what is your preferred mode of play?

The Moot Councillor
  • Soundwave
    Soundwave
    ✭✭✭
    Zos should implement achievement tokens that are used to purchases achievements from other characters.
  • MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Optional Class Change tokens would solve all of this.

#ZosTakeMyMoney
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate this argument so much, hate when people say the games is not for you. Drives me insane did you read the OP post? He said 1 part just 1 part not the full game he dislikes. Along with a lot of us we also dislike it. So should we all quit the game? Your answer instead of contributing to the post is easy just quit.

Maybe before posting just add something to it. Shocker here we people are not all the same. Some people like different things. That does not mean the game is not for you.

No I wouldn't say that ESO isn't for someone, but honestly?

If you don't like the grind to create new characters, just be aware that there's a serious grind to create new characters.

Level 50
    Mages Guild, Fighters Guild, Psijic Order (Possibily TG/DB too)
    Alliance War Skills (Vigor, Caltrops, Warhorn)
    Undaunted Passives
    Skill points - Quests/Skyshards/Dungeons
    Mount Training - 180 days of it for full upgrades
    Bag Upgrades
    Any Crafting passives you want.

You can shorten that grind somewhat if you just want to get to an endgame capable character. You can rush to get your 100+ skill points you probably need, fill out the guild skills you want, and go grind for your meta gear once you hit level 50 and its not so bad...usually.

But ZOS isn't likely to lessen that grind (for reasons I mentioned upthread).

So, honestly, if the grind is prohibitive for you...

I wouldn't say quit the game.

But I would say that you might want to consider making a "main" character that you are happy with their class and faction and putting all your effort into them so you don't have to redo a grind that you dislike. Because the leveling grind is baked into ZOS' strategy for making profit from ESO and it isn't likely to change.
  • BringerOfOmens
    BringerOfOmens
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be nice to have an OPTION at character creation such as:

1. Use account-wide skill points
    2. Use account-wide achievements
    3. Use account-wide quest journal

Many Alt-o-holics would rejoice at the option. The OPTION gives those who want to re-grind those things on other toons for role play or perhaps their personal enjoyment could do so where players who find other enjoyment in the game could choose that OPTION to do the lesser enjoyable things once and spend their time doing things in the game they enjoy more.

The key here is allowing players to do in the game what they find enjoyable. People tend to spend more time in enjoyable activities.

I would love to see the OPTION at the character level. My 2 cents worth.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Many Alt-o-holics would rejoice at the option. The OPTION gives those who want to re-grind those things on other toons for role play or perhaps their personal enjoyment could do so where players who find other enjoyment in the game could choose that OPTION to do the lesser enjoyable things once and spend their time doing things in the game they enjoy more.

The key here is allowing players to do in the game what they find enjoyable. People tend to spend more time in enjoyable activities.

XD yeh ppl that like collecting those shards can go for it . my "roleplay" character is my main character the one with which i did everything first. my decisions on that character are chosen with honesty. (like what if i would be in that world). i dont understand the pleasure of doing everything multiple times when u allready know the outcome
    Edited by Noctus on February 12, 2019 5:04PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe before posting read what the person actually said instead of misrepresenting them? Shocker here, I did not say "this game is not for you," I specifically mentioned the context of "when it comes to creating new characters." The way this game is designed demands certain types of activities when you develop a new character. It is what it is, and the system isn't likely to change on these fronts. Focus on one or maybe two characters instead of doing something you hate. Aka, what Varanis said.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We'll talk about this once you've completed "Caldwell's gold" on all of your chars...

/S

Done. 8 Characters, 8 Cadwell's gold in the bag. 8 Characters with all skyshards from all the overland PvE zones (including Craglorn).

It's really not that hard. I can clear about a zone a day of Shards, Public Dungeon, and Alliance quests. That's about 2 weeks work to get a Character to 50 and get more skill points than you will ever realistically need.
  • JackAshes
    JackAshes
    ✭✭✭
    I think a good option would be to allow people who want to just PVP to use their AP earned in PVP to spend it toward those other Guild and World order lines. For example I turn on my AP for Mage guild and all my AP goes to progress that line until I turn it off completely or swap it over to another line like Psijic. That way people could level the way they wanted too and have something to do with their AP than holds real value to them.

It would drain there AP resource and benefit them at the same time.

Just a thought.....

But this is off topic and could prob use a thread of its own.
    Edited by JackAshes on February 12, 2019 5:17PM
  • West1389
    West1389
    ✭✭✭✭

Maybe before posting read what the person actually said instead of misrepresenting them? Shocker here, I did not say "this game is not for you," I specifically mentioned the context of "when it comes to creating new characters." The way this game is designed demands certain types of activities when you develop a new character. It is what it is, and the system isn't likely to change on these fronts. Focus on one or maybe two characters instead of doing something you hate. Aka, what Varanis said.

Lol did you read your own post? You said right in there this game may not be for you.

So I'm gonna say this argument may not be for you and you should quit.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your OPTION means that players who are Alt-o-holics would be able to spend less time in game overall even if their time in game were more enjoyable.

If there's one thing we can take away from ZOS adding more and more grinds to ESO designed to keep players playing longer, we can tell that player enjoyment at the expense of less time in game is not their end goal. Instead, they wwant players playing longer even if they are less happy - in part because a robust population in game is good for an MMO and also because players who are in-game are more likely to spend money on ongoing content.

In short, over the entire game population, your OPTION makes ZOS less $$$. So, I think it unlikely to happen.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started at launch. I didn't follow the fast grind topics. I didn't even enjoy PVP, so I stuck to PVE.
    I spent almost two years on ONE character playing casually.

Now I exclusively PVP and HATE PVE. leveling PVP alts is grossly time consuming.

Solution - Lock CP until your alt is at 50, then you can allocate CP.
    Unlock skill points from Skyshards ONLY account-wide.
    All skill points earned from quests, campaigns, Undaunted, public dungeons and leveling 1-50, etc. Should be required to grind.

It at least gives us SOME leeway. Also, side note, change the grinds for Mage's and Psijic. Such a brutal time sink that is unwanted. Literally leveled Mage's to 9 on one character (main) and gave up. Lol
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just got to level 50, got vigor and got 113 skill points in around 12 hours playtime. It's not that bad.
    Edited by Brrrofski on February 12, 2019 5:19PM
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I need to play the game again when I create a new character.

Why don't I have the option to copy my old character and so I can buy a race/class/alliance change token and be done with it.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol did you read your own post? You said right in there this game may not be for you.

I said: "I'm not sure this is the right game for you when it comes to creating new characters." I understand that you find "quit the game" type posts annoying, but it's also not what I said. Not sure why you're misrepresenting that. *shrug*
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still not understanding why anyone would need an excessive amount of Skill Points on more than their crafter character.

The ones you get from leveling, and doing dungeons is more than enough to have an effective build to do all content in the game. Most of my Alts have extra skill points I haven't even spent yet, and have full builds.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kathandira wrote: »

Outside of the skills you use in your build, and additional passives, why do you need to farm skyshards?

I understand for a crafter, but not every character needs to be a crafter. Outside of that, why do you need additional skill points?

This.

I have found the smoothest and fastest way to get a new character leveled and ready to play is just do the skill point quests.

While I understand some like to just grind XP then deal with the skill points, and that is their choice, they tend to be the ones complaining about skill points. While they have their character to 50 in hours, I have my character raid ready in a few days and probably before they do.