The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Wall of Frost is objectively overperforming — here's why

• Thanatos_inside
    Thanatos_inside
    ✭✭✭
    I understand everyone hates snares. I really do, because i hate them too. Frost is just lumped with snares and to be honest, they are the only thing keeping frost alive and relevant. Via ONE SKILL! Because everything else exclusive to frost, is garbage! But snares are very strong and irritating especially in group scenarios where a wall gets thrown down on you and you just don't move anymore, so this skill does need a rework. at least, the mass majority sees it that way.

We have discussed reducing the snare to around 30% and removing the immobilise upon chilled. instead, adding an execute effect on chilled enemies dealing up to 50% more damage to chilled enemies below 50% health as a quick example. While this change does hurt frost tanks, we also recognise that they DO exist and need a little more help too. so this would be lumped with other frost staff updates.

staff suggestions at the moment are:

*Icy Rage: rework current effect to reduce it's base cost by 14% (250 to 215) to put it in line with Stormy Rage and Fiery Rage.

*Wall of Frost:
    like suggested before, reduce snare from 60% to 30% but add an execute mechanic on chilled enemies. or perhaps another armor reduction debuff to benefit both dps and tanks as they just lost some helpful control.

*Frost Clench (not Frost Reach):
    reduce base cost or increase base damage by 20% to synergise better with vDSA staff and to make clench a little more worth morphing into. worth noting that immobilise and taunt conflict with one-another as they wont run over into your group's AoEs. taunt on clench may a popular suggestion but the effects are contradictory in nature. I mean, you could put the taunt on here if you removed the immobilise. Maybe frost clench could gain -36% block cost and +20% damage blocked while slotted instead, so that frost's ancient knowledge could be reworked. food for thought. frost clench is not used at the moment. so it wouldn't be missed.

Elemental Susceptibility:
    Instead of current effect, add a taunt and major fracture to make it destruction staff's pierce armor. reduce duration to 10 seconds or less to justify huge benefit of 28m range and no cost. could even add cost. worth noting that elemental drain will remain untouched. also worth noting that shock staff gains access to this.

Tri Focus:
    (re)move taunt (see Elemental Susceptibility).
    add minor breach to enemy hit with heavy attack to benefit group, and to benefit yourself if you're a frost DPS. make the damage shield 2 or even 3 times as powerful.

*Pulsar:
    add 2.5 second aoe immobilise. (remove mangle to keep for later?). adds a non-class AoE immobilise with a decent radius. 6m. worth noting that shock staff gains access to this.

(*): still in early concept stages. may change.

no execute pls its insane
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand everyone hates snares. I really do, because i hate them too. Frost is just lumped with snares and to be honest, they are the only thing keeping frost alive and relevant. Via ONE SKILL! Because everything else exclusive to frost, is garbage! But snares are very strong and irritating especially in group scenarios where a wall gets thrown down on you and you just don't move anymore, so this skill does need a rework. at least, the mass majority sees it that way.

We have discussed reducing the snare to around 30% and removing the immobilise upon chilled. instead, adding an execute effect on chilled enemies dealing up to 50% more damage to chilled enemies below 50% health as a quick example. While this change does hurt frost tanks, we also recognise that they DO exist and need a little more help too. so this would be lumped with other frost staff updates.

*Icy Rage: rework current effect to reduce it's base cost by 14% (250 to 215) to put it in line with Stormy Rage and Fiery Rage.

*Wall of Frost:
    like suggested before, reduce snare from 60% to 30% but add an execute mechanic on chilled enemies. or perhaps another armor reduction debuff to benefit both dps and tanks as they just lost some helpful control.

reduce base cost or increase base damage by 20% to synergise better with vDSA staff and to make clench a little more worth morphing into. worth noting that immobilise and taunt conflict with one-another as they wont run over into your group's AoEs. taunt on clench may a popular suggestion but the effects are contradictory in nature. I mean, you could put the taunt on here if you removed the immobilise. Maybe frost clench could gain -36% block cost and +20% damage blocked while slotted instead, so that frost's ancient knowledge could be reworked. food for thought. frost clench is not used at the moment. so it wouldn't be missed.

Instead of current effect, add a taunt and major fracture to make it destruction staff's pierce armor. reduce duration to 10 seconds or less to justify huge benefit of 28m range and no cost. could even add cost. worth noting that elemental drain will remain untouched. also worth noting that shock staff gains access to this.

Tri Focus:
    add minor breach to enemy hit with heavy attack to benefit group, and to benefit yourself if you're a frost DPS. make the damage shield 2 or even 3 times as powerful.

*Pulsar:
    add 2.5 second aoe immobilise. (remove mangle to keep for later?). adds a non-class AoE immobilise with a decent radius. 6m. worth noting that shock staff gains access to this.

no execute pls its insane

If you read the concept and compare the execute damage to fire wall's straight up 20% increased damage. You would realise that the damage is still less than that. It's an "up to" execute. Which means it doesn't deal 50% more damage straight away. It means that it gradually increases to about +50% when the target is at <1% health. It also has lost a lot of its control power. This is in no way overpowered and the amount is low because it was an idea suggestion. Numbers are still up for negotiation. On top of that, its also a conditional execute effect.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on February 7, 2019 12:48AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what's not overperforming...

Elder Scrolls Online! Ohhhhhhhhhh!

Or better yet, Infinite Loading Screens Online!
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know what's not overperforming...

Elder Scrolls Online! Ohhhhhhhhhh!

Or better yet, Infinite Loading Screens Online!

yeah i second this. loading screens and lag really hurt the game, possibly more so than bad balance patches.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on February 7, 2019 11:35AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frost Wall hasn't changed. The problem isn't Wall. It's that ZoS was lazy in fixes to Jewelry. ZoS doesn't want to admit that Jewelry traits are severely unbalanced. So instead of Fixing Swift. They nerfed every other form of Mobility.
    - Speed wasn't a problem before Swift
    - Forward Momentum was the weaker morph before Swift.
    - Snare were not a problem before #Nerfmire forked up fixes
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭

*Wall of Frost:

Tri Focus:

*Pulsar:

The good old days when Icy Rage had an inherent 10% ultimate cost reduction, taking it down to 225. Miss those days. 😪
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Frost Wall hasn't changed. The problem isn't Wall. It's that ZoS was lazy in fixes to Jewelry. ZoS doesn't want to admit that Jewelry traits are severely unbalanced. So instead of Fixing Swift. They nerfed every other form of Mobility.

Except they nerfed movement speed with Morrowind Too. So it was a problem before.

Orc Steed Fiords WW could outrun mounts with rapids so they put a cap on it
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »

Except they nerfed movement speed with Morrowind Too. So it was a problem before.

Orc Steed Fiords WW could outrun mounts with rapids so they put a cap on it

I didn't say it wasn't broken, I said it wasn't a problem. PvP wasn't bitching because they couldn't hit anything. Orc was good, Steed wasn't that good in comparison to others, and WW weren't all that big in PvP, especially with the low uptime.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever heard of dont stand in stupid? Theres your fix.

Have it snare 15% in the beginning but the longer you stand in stupid it ramps up to the full 60%

If you are chilled before it starts ramping up, you instantly get to 60% snare and after 2 ticks of damage in it, you are immobolized and immobolized again every 2 seconds after.

Problem solved.
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cant "jUsT mOvE oUt Of iT" when it will just be kept spammed on you and when you are melee you are supposed to actually attack your opponent not run away from him, use your *** brains whoever suggests that.
    As someone who plays frost staff magden a lot i would love ice blockade snare to get nerfed and same thing with permafrost. Either that or nerf snares in general or give everyone much better and easier access to snare removal/immunity.
    Snares are a ***ing cancer in this game.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using foward momentum, rapids, immovable potions, mist form (all very ordinary pvp things) completely negates the frost staff secondary and tertiary affects while nothing special negates the advantages of flame and lightning staff.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Trancestor wrote: »
    You cant "jUsT mOvE oUt Of iT" when it will just be kept spammed on you and when you are melee you are supposed to actually attack your opponent not run away from him, use your *** brains whoever suggests that.
    As someone who plays frost staff magden a lot i would love ice blockade snare to get nerfed and same thing with permafrost. Either that or nerf snares in general or give everyone much better and easier access to snare removal/immunity.

Exactly. My favourite suggestion so far was "just gapclose into the user". Ever tried using a charge skill into a Frost Wall? not only are you running right into the snare that everyone claims the only counterplay is to AVOID, but getting rooted during a charge completely terminates the charge, leaving you defenseless, with a bunch of wasted resources, and STILL not within engagement distance of your intended target.

Remember that you have a 96% chance of that happening to you, because that's the probability of a charged frost glyph proccing its status effect.

Seems like a lot of the naysayers have only ever been on one side of the Frost Blockade debate, judging by their lack of perspective. Thank you for being an honest user of the ability @Trancestor.
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahaaa, so thats why theres so many ppl with froststaves spamming woe in cyro these days...

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are? I almost never see frost staves in cyrodiil.

You know I started using ice blockade a lot right before this thread was created. I also started using time stop before that nerf thread was created. I also started spamming light attacks and a nerf light attack thread was created.

Is it possible for one person to have such an effect? It would be hilarious if it was true.

If so the reason you’re seeing these abilities so much is because I’m healing and I’m a nightblade. There are only so many abilities you can put on your bar, so when your team is mopping up the abilities I do have are getting spammed. Plus as a NB healer you have excess magicka to burn compared to other healers.

Time stop - self explanatory
    Ice blockade - knocks people out of stealth and snares
    Light attacks - burns through reflections

It looks like to me it’s from people who are not used to the play style and are salty because they got PK’d. Plus, they want other people to stick to traditional play styles because they know how to counter them. If someone’s doing something different it must be ‘broken’.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 11, 2019 11:43AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't understand the complaints, if it's a group based game, which it is, because it's an MMO, then any complaints voiced in this thread are obsolete due to the following:

In group play - you have 2 roles as a DPS - focus fire - stay to
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    Trancestor wrote: »

Exactly. My favourite suggestion so far was "just gapclose into the user". Ever tried using a charge skill into a Frost Wall? not only are you running right into the snare that everyone claims the only counterplay is to AVOID, but getting rooted during a charge completely terminates the charge, leaving you defenseless, with a bunch of wasted resources, and STILL not within engagement distance of your intended target.

Remember that you have a 96% chance of that happening to you, because that's the probability of a charged frost glyph proccing its status effect.

Seems like a lot of the naysayers have only ever been on one side of the Frost Blockade debate, judging by their lack of perspective. Thank you for being an honest user of the ability @Trancestor.

if you wait to gap close until after they've laid the snare down wouldn't that mean you can change the angle of gap closer so you don't get snared?

Who gap closes into a snare?
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »
    if you wait to gap close until after they've laid the snare down wouldn't that mean you can change the angle of gap closer so you don't get snared?

You realise that your opponent isn't going to lay-down Blockade then stand around twiddling their thumbs, right?. They're going to relocate themself in response to you, most likely by moving into their own AoE, thereby giving you no possible angle of approach to avoid it. Also, 2 seconds = 2 GCDs, so expect to get hit by a hard CC and another damaging skill in that intervening time.
    Edited by TheYKcid on February 11, 2019 6:13PM
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »

Wow, using reductionism to trivialise the problems of other players sure is easy!

You know what else is easy? Geometry. So here's a little diagram—drawn to scale—illustrating the problems with the situation you describe.

Qxt1jy8.png

Key:
    • Black circle: attacker
    • Red circle: target
    • Blue rectangle: Frost Blockade (18m x 12m)
    • Black dotted lines: possible path of gap closer (22m range)

Basically, if you were facing a target who put-down a frost blockade between the two of you, the shortest possible path you could take to circumvent the AoE and re-target your gapcloser is demarcated by the green dotted line—a distance of 25.2m. As this would involve perfectly tracing the boundaries of the AoE—impossible in practice as Blockade doesn't display a ground telegraph for whatever reason—you would have to take a more indirect path to give yourself headroom.

But let's be generous and take 25.2m at face value. Sprinting in 5 pieces of medium armor, with Major Expedition nets you a movespeed of 12m/s (6.5 base * 1.85 multiplier), and you would therefore take slightly over 2 seconds to reach your destination.

And then realise that repositioning is irrelevant anyway, because your opponent isn't going to lay-down Blockade then stand around twiddling their thumbs. They're going to relocate themself in response to you... most likely by moving into their own AoE, thereby giving you no possible angle of approach to avoid it. Also, 2 seconds = 2 GCDs, so expect to get hit by a hard CC and another damaging skill in that intervening time.

I really shouldn't have to spell this out like I'm addressing 5-year-olds, but the "counterplay" suggestions being proffered are so outlandishly stupid.

Anyone who has fought against the skill as a stamina build understands the struggles involved, and anyone using Frost Blockade should understand how to position around it. One can only surmise you are being very, very disingenuous in an attempt to prevent a clearly-overperforming ability you crutch on from getting much-needed nerfs.

I'm not using reductionism, I'm speaking logically, you just have an attitude problem, facts. A 2 second adjustment is nothing if it means you avoid the root before being able to put damage on the target. I'm not saying you're going to avoid being snared, I'm saying avoid getting snared before you're able to put damage on the target.

What you've laid out is exactly the point of the skill. It's designed around controlling space. You need to control space as a ranged player in a game that favors melee players with high burst damage. It's what makes Atro / Mines such good skills. Next you'll want to nerf those too?

It's incredulous how you're trying to argue your point. It's as if you've never played a single PVP mmo at a high level until you played ESO. These are not original concepts - they are part of the foundation that has made up PVP MMO's since they began.

Ground Control - Soft CC - Hard CC - etc. etc.

I don't disagree with you that snares shouldn't stack - you shouldn't be able to put Permafrost on top of FWOE to basically root people in place, that's disgusting, but your complaints about snares make it seem like you don't know how to adjust your game play at all when a Meta shifts, and instead come straight to the forums to cry.

And your edited post is even more garbage. I could say literally the exact same thing to you, that you're crutching on the stamina meta and ability to sustain ad-nauseum in Murkmire, and have now discovered there is a direct counter to this in use of soft CC, and are upset about it.

That's what tells me your argument is garbage, that I can literally flip your concluding statement and it applies directly to you.
    Edited by MalagenR on February 11, 2019 6:15PM
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited to trim down the original post after figuring it would be vastly too long-winded, but if you'd like to address that in full, that's cool too.

Area control isn't the same thing as absolute area denial, and Frost Blockade is the latter. 2 seconds to put damage on your target, and therefore you win? You're joking, right? In the pace of ESO combat, 2 seconds is enough to receive an entire burst combo, and all that before you even land your 2.5k damage gapcloser. And you also conveniently omitted the fact that the Blockade user can easily reposition themself to ensure their melee opponent has no possible angle of approach to avoid the snare + root.

You can't position around it. You can't maintain Shuffle uptime to any appreciable degree whilst also having enough GCDs for healing and offense. There's quite literally no viable course of action as a melee build once Frost Blockade is laid-down over an objective. And if that objective is a flag or relic in a BG, you've lost the objective and by extension the match.

Is Permafrost worse? Sure. But it's also a 200-cost ult, so you won't be recasting it on cooldown or anytime you need to reposition.

Ultimately, if you think these arguments are reversible and meaningless, you're welcome to hop on a stam toon for a duel provided you're on PCNA, and I'll slot Frost Blockade. You may not know, judging from your personal attacks about my "stam meta agenda" and whatnot, but I've been primarily maining mag in Murkmire, and most of the past one year.
    Edited by TheYKcid on February 11, 2019 6:44PM
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited to trim down my original post because I thought it would be too long-winded, but if you'd like to address that in full, that's cool too.

Area control isn't the same thing as absolute area denial, and Frost Blockade is the latter. 2 seconds to put damage on your target, and therefore you win? You're joking, right? In the pace of ESO combat, 2 seconds is enough to receive an entire burst combo, and all that before you even land your 2.5k damage gapcloser. And also convenient that you conveniently omitted the fact that the Blockade user can easily reposition themself to ensure their melee opponent has no possible angle of approach to avoid the snare + root.

You can't position around it. You can't maintain Shuffle uptime to any appreciable degree whilst also having enough GCDs for healing and offense. There's quite literally no viable course of action as a melee build once Frost Blockade is laid-down over an objective. And if that objective is a flag or relic in a BG, you've lost the objective and by extension the match.

Is Permafrost worse? Sure. But it's also a 200-cost ult, so you won't be recasting it on cooldown or anytime you need to reposition.

Ultimately, if you think these arguments are reversible and meaningless, you're welcome to hop on a stam toon for a duel provided you're on PCNA, and I'll slot Frost Blockade. You may not know, judging from your personal attacks about my "stam meta agenda" and whatnot, but I've been primarily maining mag in Murkmire, and most of the past one year.

To directly counter your point -

Player A Lays down Blockade of Frost
    Player B see's it, so pops Shuffle and then immediately pops their Gap closer, followed by a hard CC to avoid Player A from repositioning around the snare, followed by a soft CC (a comparable snare) that doesn't allow Player A to escape receiving damage unless they use an escape skill themselves.

Congrats, I just taught you how to play stamina DPS. Anyone who has ever played a melee class in literally any game (WoW, Aion, Lineage2) knows this.

To counter your 2nd point around - position on Flags / Relics -

- I'll reiterate what I've said 100 times. ESO is designed around group based PVP. If your group is incapable of dealing with frost wall of elements, find a new group, frost wall of elements is not enough of a hindrance to stop 2 players from the opposing team from focus firing that player under a hard CC and killing them.

- Most people in competitive PVP MMO's learn very early on that focus fire is critical for this exact reason. When determining the most effective way to eliminate a team high level 3v3 or 4v4 gameplay you will find very often that the #1 priority target is NOT the healer. Which is hilarious because almost every group I random que into while playing ESO focus fire tanks and healers, which is so counter productive I don't even know where to start on that. In fact, you'll find the best teams know that the priority target is whoever is playing the "control" role. In this patch, that is either the Magwarden w/ Permafrost, Templar w/ AOE root, or Sorc running Frost WOE w/ Atro or Negate.

In ESO, target selection is even easier. You have two things to worry about at most right now on a high performing team. Permafrost bombs & Earthgore healers. Very simple strategy I'll give you so you start finding more success - target the healer until their Earthgore pops, then immediately switch to the Warden, the Warden will melt if it isn't smart enough to run to the Earthgore circle, even then, it's still the best way to deal with them, a healer will either go OOM or not be able to keep up their team member from the focus fire of 2 decent DPS (which are most likely running a defile). Don't stack against groups running heals + permafrost, you're inviting a bomb, instead flank or LOS until you can reposition so the engagement is more favorable.

What do you do against a team that has 4 Magwardens all running Earthgore? I don't know, that's a highly organized team and I feel like if you don't run multiple negates against them it will be very difficult to kill any of them.

• TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why do you keep bringing Magwardens into the discussion, and now Earthgores? We get it, both of those are overperforming to some degree, but what does that have to do with Frost Wall?

It's overperforming in and of itself, whether on a Sorc, Magblade, or otherwise. It's pretty telling that even magDKs are running it in place of Talons.

Just because other bits of content are overperforming is no reason to ignore this particular offender.
    Edited by TheYKcid on February 11, 2019 6:59PM
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you keep bringing Magwardens into the discussion, and now Earthgores? We get it, both of those are overperforming to some degree, but what does that have to do with Frost Wall?

It's overperforming in and of itself, whether on a Sorc, Magblade, or otherwise. It's pretty telling that even magDKs are running it in place of Talons.

Just because other bits of content are overperforming is no reason to ignore this particular offender.

You can't pluck one skill out of thin air and decide that it's "objectively overperforming" without considering the context of how that skill is being used and why.

It's the best support skill for any group running Magwardens, most players random que, lots of players rerolled to Magwarden because of Permafrost overperformance, they see the obvious synergy and begin to use it more and more often.

A DK using frost wall of elements is such anecdotal evidence I don't know how to respond. So you saw a DK using frost WOE and immediately jumped to the conclusion Frost WOE is overperforming instead of "wow that DK doesn't have brains". Not sure what to tell you man.

And, as I mentioned earlier, the use of Frost WOE is a direct result of shield nerfs requiring magicka players to find new active defense capabilities as you can no longer have enough health, magicka regen, and stamina regen, to create a durable build vs. meta stam players without some form of soft CC. Frost WOE fits this niche nicely as you can backbar it, it provides a soft cc, it provides minor maim, etc. But, all of that great stuff comes at a cost. You see stam builds out there pushing 4k weapon damage yet Magicka builds can only push up to 3k, meanwhile stamina doesn't have to drop nearly as much off in other supporting stats (sustain mostly) while Magicka builds need to drop berserker enchant, bar space, etc. to run a frost staff.

I would argue that you're targeting the wrong stuff for overperformance, any player running a frost staff for frost WOE has traded off a lot. They can't front bar a frost staff + run resto staff backbar and still perform as a strong DPS. This means they need to backbar frost. Which means they trade off the survivability of a Resto staff for self heals, and need to replace those slots with other skills. For a Sorc this means using Twilight, which takes up 2 bar spots. Most MagSorc's running Frost WOE have to give up Curse and even potentially an execute if their group requires them to push out more burst. I'm not sure what Magblades sacrifice but I"m sure it's something.
    Edited by MalagenR on February 11, 2019 7:53PM