Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Don't know how to title this post.

Urnbak
Urnbak
I know this game lets you be what you want, but can i use heavy armour on my knightblade?

I'm considering rolling an orc knightblade but orcs in med armour don't look as good as heavy.

Especially the veteran gear in character creation, plus i want to be different,

in skyrim heavy armour can weigh you down and be noisy while trying to sneak how about ESO?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armor doesn't have any penalty to sneaking, though medium armor has passive perks you can pick up with skill points that help sneaking.
  • Hodorius
    Hodorius
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone can use any kind of armor.
    Even a Nightblade ;)

There are skill trees for every armor type.
    I have a Nightblade and tanking grp dungeons is no problem.
    You just have to know that the medium arot skill tree has some great skills like +3 crit on all attacks per every medium aror you are wearing.
    Edited by Hodorius on April 8, 2014 4:10PM
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medium armor passives are good for sneaks. Heavy armor is good for taking hits.

Why not use both? You can make your chest, legs, and head heavy and have all other pieces (there are 4 more) be medium. You get the heavy look while keeping the benefits of the medium skill line! :)
    Edited by BlackSparrow on April 8, 2014 4:11PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, play the way you want.

I use heavy armor and I do very good damage still while using sneak attacks, etc.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    In theory you can wear whatever you want however when it comes to practicality i would recommend medium/heavy armor mix. My Templar for example wears 4 pieces of heavy armor and 3 pieces of light. This allows me to take advantage of the armor buffs from the heavy skill tree but the magicka bonuses from the light tree as well.

This game is about tweaking your build and experimenting to find what works best for YOU. This game isn't like other MMO's where in order to be the "Best" you need X gear set with X stats and X items or you'll suck. I am always available for questions via PM or in game mail @Dagnome if you need help.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Check this out, as its author has amazing insight!
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide

Like above, dont sweat the armor/race/class combo. You will be fine. There are also crafting "motifs" that allow players to craft any other racial styles of armor. So you could be an orc in High Elf armor. Plus like @blacksparrow mentioned, you can split your armor up. In some cases you have to, otherwise you dig too deep in the soft cap for armor...
  • Urnbak
    Urnbak
    Is there anything out there that gives you the looks of every type of armour on different races so i know what race looks like what at high lvl
    Edited by Urnbak on April 8, 2014 4:32PM
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing you can do is go through character creation and click a race, then switch to classes and click each class.

Also there is new armor coming in the next content expansion.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urnbak wrote: »
    Is there anything out there that gives you the looks of every type of armour on different races so i know what race looks like what at high lvl

It's a work in progress but eso-fashion.com is striving towards that goal I believe. Dulfy did great work in SWTOR and GW2 so I'm happy to see ESO is a focus of hers too.
    Edited by Shimond on April 8, 2014 4:39PM
  • Urnbak
    Urnbak
    If i can make an orc look good in med armour then i'd roll an orc in a heartbeat.

Looks mean a lot to me coz of having to look at them all the time.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most players do the 5/2 mix. You could wear 5 medium and 2 heavy (helmet and chest) and it will look like you are rocking out heavy armor.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    If i can make an orc look good in med armour then i'd roll an orc in a heartbeat.

Oh I might have misunderstood you. The armor itself determines the look, not your race. You can wear wood elf (bosmer) armor as an orc, for example, and it looks the same as it does on a wood elf.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes the armor looks just like whatever race it is based off of, but I will say, Orcs are bigger than most races so you will notice that he is a biggun.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »

Oh I might have misunderstood you. The armor itself determines the look, not your race. You can wear wood elf (bosmer) armor as an orc, for example, and it looks the same as it does on a wood elf.
    Don't do that, people. Orcs look hilarious in Bosmer armor.

But yeah, if you don't like the look of Orcish medium, check other racial armors, maybe you'll find something nice. Or mix heavy chest and legs with med. Or just trade some damage for survivability and be a nightblade in heavy, that works too - with a two-handed weapon you'll be pretty beastly and you can swap to a shield to tank.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I meant the MODEL is the same, not that you wouldn't look ridiculous (like that nord guy in argonian leather I saw in a thread the other day).
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Orcs look hilarious in Bosmer armor.

My Orc Templar ( War Shaman!! ) is in half plate and half cloth, wearing a Bosmer robe. Showing lotsa green midriff is awesome!!
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • Urnbak
    Urnbak
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Shimond wrote: »

Don't do that, people. Orcs look hilarious in Bosmer armor.

But yeah, if you don't like the look of Orcish medium, check other racial armors, maybe you'll find something nice. Or mix heavy chest and legs with med. Or just trade some damage for survivability and be a nightblade in heavy, that works too - with a two-handed weapon you'll be pretty beastly and you can swap to a shield to tank.

I didn't know that, how do you go about using/getting other races armour??
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭

You can get other races weapons and armors from drops. The drops are not race specific.

The other way is to join the hordes rushing through buildings, banks, inns, palaces, looking in desks, nightstands, dressers, backpacks, etc. for "style motifs." These motifs give your character the ability to craft all weapons and armor/clothing in that style.

Or you can buy them for about 1k to 1.5k g from the chat vendors.

Edited by MaxBat on April 8, 2014 5:49PM
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Urnbak
    Urnbak
    MaxBat wrote: »

You can get other races weapons and armors from drops. The drops are not race specific.

The other way is to join the hordes rushing through buildings, banks, inns, palaces, looking in desks, nightstands, dressers, backpacks, etc. for "style motifs." These motifs give your character the ability to craft all weapons and armor/clothing in that style.

Or you can buy them for about 1k to 1.5k g from the chat vendors.
    AHH i see so that is what motifs are for.
    On a side note i am my own worse enemy, when there is too much choice i can never decide what to do and end up doing nothing, thats why i quit the secret world because there was too much choice.

I want to be a knightblade coz i always play the assassin type, i would like to play a female but feel so guilty about being a man playing as a girl( 54 years old that makes it worse ) i think female characters suit the assassin role the best.

I also like to be different if i can like not being the flavour of the month race(khajit) even though they look good,!!sigh!!
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to be a knightblade coz i always play the assassin type, i would like to play a female but feel so guilty about being a man playing as a girl( 54 years old that makes it worse ) i think female characters suit the assassin role the best.

Go ahead and roll a female, then. You certainly wouldn't be the only one! I haven't yet in ESO, but I, a female irl, have played plenty of males in other MMOs. Part of the fun is getting lost in the role, regardless of gender.

Just, you know, prepare to be hit on. I've yet to see it in ESO, but female characters in MMOs generally tend to get more of those kinds of pms from time to time. :p

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

• Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭

Wait, didn't I mention this in the beginning and the how? *sighs* I feel so invisible...
    Hawke wrote: »
    Check this out, as its author has amazing insight!
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide

Like above, dont sweat the armor/race/class combo. You will be fine. There are also crafting "motifs" that allow players to craft any other racial styles of armor. So you could be an orc in High Elf armor. Plus like @blacksparrow mentioned, you can split your armor up. In some cases you have to, otherwise you dig too deep in the soft cap for armor...
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go ahead and roll a female, then. You certainly wouldn't be the only one! I haven't yet in ESO, but I, a female irl, have played plenty of males in other MMOs. Part of the fun is getting lost in the role, regardless of gender.

Just, you know, prepare to be hit on. I've yet to see it in ESO, but female characters in MMOs generally tend to get more of those kinds of pms from time to time. :p

It's not as bad these days, I think it's becoming more accepted (both women playing and men playing as female characters). There's still a lot of creep on both sides though (whether gender hate or stalking). Fortunately haven't seen any of it this game.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why, but I find the females in this game more attractive than most, but, even though I do have longtime friends who play female characters, I just can't seem to ... do it.

*shrugs* Nothing against those that do.

Just to throw a wrench in :P But everyone is male on the line (interwebz) unless proven otherwise... dont you know that?

LOL just poking fun at the tiger.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, if everyone thought that way we'd have less problems. Everyone should be treated equally regardless of gender (and that's one way to do it, if not perfectly).
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    . Just to throw a wrench in :P But everyone is male on the line (interwebz) unless proven otherwise... dont you know that?

LOL just poking fun at the tiger.

Eh, honestly, most of us women are used to "male" being the default in pretty much everything. So yeah, you wouldn't see more than weary tolerance of this idea (and perhaps some eye-rolling) from the female players. :lol:

My Girls:

• Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    10 points for those who got the movie reference in my post above :open_mouth:
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Title it: "If I Could Swim With the Dolphins"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zH0OYUXQXs
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org