The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Kudos for doing such a great Mac client

gbevin
gbevin
I just wanted to reach out and give the dev team kudos for making a great Mac client and not a quick Cider port. Sure there are small issues, but it's one of the first games on Mac where I don't feel the need to go into BootCamp to play. I runs a tad smoother on Windows on the same MacBook Pro Retina, but not enough to warrant the effort of rebooting.

Keep up the good work and thanks again for supporting gamers that also love OSX!
  • Dimillian
    Dimillian
    ✭✭✭
    Can't agree more ! While there are issues that surely will be resolved, I think we can all appreciate how fine the game already run.
    I mean... this is really the best looking game I've played on my Mac in a while, and I get very good performances!

Native port FTW!
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just a quick heads up to the Mac devs at ZOS! :smiley:

I too love gaming and games with native binaries on OS X *, and wouldn't want to miss it. Had a Boot Camp partition for years and abhorred the chore of maintaining it, so I'm very happy that I don't need one for ESO.

*) For everything else, there's DOSbox (try Boxer for an excellent wrapper)
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on April 7, 2014 2:10PM
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    I appreciate the effort as well and enjoy the game. I'm sure the bugs will be taken care of in the near future and hopefully we will have a lot of Mac gamers playing this.
  • rebelcoder
    I'm going to chime in here, I really appreciate the having a native mac client. The fact that they took the time to create one is greatly appreciated. I'm just frustrated by the Cyrodiil bugs and mainly because they seem to have been around for so long.

That being said, nothing but appreciation for having invested the time/resources in supporting gaming on mac.
  • Markuseb17_ESO15
    I love the native Mac client as well. Upgrading from 4 GB to 12 GB memory solved some of my crashes but they still occur from time to time. I guess it's some sort of memory leak and think they will find and fix it sooner or later.
  • Nikolas
    Nikolas
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, Thank you for the native client Zenimax :)
  • Calmyron
    Calmyron
    I wanted to chime in as well. Thank you so much for having a native Mac version. I enjoyed the beta pre-Mac and have enjoyed the same level of experience with the Mac version.

I would like to point out that the Mac client is experiencing a memory leak of sorts. When the game is done with memory that's been allocated, it doesn't release it back to finder as available. I use Memory Clean, a free app in the Apple Mac AppStore, and it's showing me that EOS seems to keep a hold of the ram it's no longer using and constantly requesting more. Depending on if I jump characters or go to new areas where a lot of new content has to load, I can expect a crash of the game within 2 to 3 hours of starting the game. So it's a slow buildup of unused memory, but it eventually gets there and the game has no more memory to draw from, so it crashes.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the sentiments already posted very much.

It's the reason I'm passionate to get more Mac players into ESO, as a native Mac client is a rare beast and needs the support it deserves. And a belief that the Mac gaming community can play their part in making it even better into the future.

I'm not blind to the frustrations that the memory issue is in the Mac client. I am fortunate to have the some small insight to see they are working on it and want as much as the players, to get it running as well as possible.

Memory issue aside, all the other main issues (Intel graphics bugs etc.) have been addressed and it's some testament that the Mac client is able to perform pretty much on par with the PC client.

Short term it's working to get the most out of the 32-bit client (PC & Mac) and look forward to a 64-bit client which will make it pretty much a non-issue.

I can't say enough how much I have been impressed playing the game with the Mac client over the last months and it can only get better.

A big thanks to the Lead OS X Engineer, Chris Dillman (see ESO Credits) for bringing his Mac development expertise and experience to the game. And not to forget ZOS for their commitment to the Mac platform from an early stage of development, right through to the dual platform launch on 4.4.14.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the sentiments already posted very much.

It's the reason I'm passionate to get more Mac players into ESO, as a native Mac client is a rare beast and needs the support it deserves. And a belief that the Mac gaming community can play their part in making it even better into the future.

I'm not blind to the frustrations that the memory issue is in the Mac client. I am fortunate to have the some small insight to see they are working on it and want as much as the players, to get it running as well as possible.

Memory issue aside, all the other main issues (Intel graphics bugs etc.) have been addressed and it's some testament that the Mac client is able to perform pretty much on par with the PC client.

Short term it's working to get the most out of the 32-bit client (PC & Mac) and look forward to a 64-bit client which will make it pretty much a non-issue.

I can't say enough how much I have been impressed playing the game with the Mac client over the last months and it can only get better.

A big thanks to the Lead OS X Engineer, Chris Dillman (see ESO Credits) for bringing his Mac development expertise and experience to the game. And not to forget ZOS for their commitment to the Mac platform from an early stage of development, right through to the dual platform launch on 4.4.14.
  • stevenbennett_ESO
    stevenbennett_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot emphasize how much I truly appreciate having the Mac client. It's a HUGE incentive for me to play this game, because I truly hate switching into Bootcamp with a passion. (That, combined with a terminal case of Console Design Syndrome, are the key reasons I never really got very far with Skyrim…)

And since I did beta tests on both Windows and Mac, I was pleasantly surprised by how solid the Mac client was right from the start. Yes, it's had issues (particularly for people with certain hardware), but nothing I can't live with, and they seem to be being fixed rapidly. I've had a few crashes (probably due to the memory issues), but as a programmer myself, I know it may take some time to fix them.

So thanks again, Zenimax (and particularly Chris), for making ESO a better game by including the native Mac client. If only all the Elder Scrolls games played on Mac as well -- I hope Bethesda is watching and learning…
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    Working fine now...
    Edited by mistermacintosh on August 21, 2014 8:33PM
    Legalize Nirnroot!

Mac User, NA Server (CP810+, PVE focused):
    Magicka Templar Ra the Everlasting (Level 50 - Main Character)
    Stamina Sorcerer Khazaka-ri (Level 50 - Crafter)
    Dragonknight Tank Skalda Flamewreath (Level 50)
    Pet Sorcerer Hellias Ocume (Level 50)
    Magicka Necromancer Socelon (Level 4)

Templar Healer Mends-Through-Panic (Level 50)
    Stamina Nightblade Adanna-daro (Level 50)
    Stamina Warden Marely Sprigs (Level 50)
    Stamina Dragonknight Ursula Trollcalmer (Level 50)
    Stamina Necromancer Daengeval (Level 4)

Stamina Templar Cornellus Graves (Level 50)
    Warden Healer Pays-For-Luxury (Level 50)
    Magicka Sorcerer Sophia Flash (Level 50)
    Magicka Dragonknight Cinvalo Aloavel (Level 50)
    Magicka Nightblade Esmerelda the Cruel (Level 50)