Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dungeon boss weapon drops

Madrajin
Madrajin
Is there anything that affects weapon drops from end bosses in dungeons? I'm after a specific frost staff of Netch, I've run the dungeon too many times to count and not seen one, when I do run it with others I always ask the group, but mostly I do it solo on normal so there isn't any downtime between finding groups.

It seems to me that the system is not fit for purpose, each dungeon has three sets and there are 7 melee weapons, 4 staves, bows and shields. Then there is jewellery too. That is 45 combinations; that means the chances of seeing the item you want is 2.2%

I know it was an order of magnitude worse before transmutation of properties was implemented. There really needs to be tokens drop from bosses which can be traded in at the entrance for the item you want, or the ability to transmute from one type item of a type to another, melee weapon for any other melee weapon, any wooden implement for any other wooden implement, etc.. If they still want item drops then have us able to hand a trash item in at a vendor for a token so that after so many times you get what you were looking for. Like transmutation it would put an upper limit on getting what you are looking for without killing randomness totally.
  • Trikie_Dik
    Trikie_Dik
    ✭✭✭
    You hit the nail on the head with the improved gear farming following the implementation of the transmute system. Think about this argument prior to the implementation... that same 2.5% chance quickly drops down to 0.3% chance to find what you wanted dropped in the proper trait. There are many of us who had 300+ vMA runs before we got the item we wanted in the right trait, so following the transmute update i personally found gear farming to be much more enjoyable.

I think one of the major issues you face is that your running the dungeon solo, had you got a group of 3x other people to run it with you your drop changes are 4x what they would be and quickly hit the 10% rate. Now we all know RNG is not a wheel of disbursement so that doesn't mean that in 10x runs your going to get one of each item, but it would greatly cut down on your farming time to find what you needed.

Personally i don't mind the mini grind to get the right type of weapon, then transmute it to my desired trait. If you dont have any friends, look for a dungeon/trials guild and get some guild members to help you out - we always have people willing to help those who frequently return the favor. Also make sure your plotting out your chest drops too as they have a chance to drop your weapons as well.

All in all, i feel your pain but in retrospect it could be much worse then what we have today. IMO a token system would be cool, but with the transmute system already in place i find the hunt for gear is actually balanced and gives me something to look forward to when running the content ive already run once before... but thats just me :)
  • mustangmorgan31
    mustangmorgan31
    ✭✭✭✭
    Madrajin wrote: »
    Is there anything that affects weapon drops from end bosses in dungeons? I'm after a specific frost staff of Netch, I've run the dungeon too many times to count and not seen one, when I do run it with others I always ask the group, but mostly I do it solo on normal so there isn't any downtime between finding groups.

It seems to me that the system is not fit for purpose, each dungeon has three sets and there are 7 melee weapons, 4 staves, bows and shields. Then there is jewellery too. That is 45 combinations; that means the chances of seeing the item you want is 2.2%

I know it was an order of magnitude worse before transmutation of properties was implemented. There really needs to be tokens drop from bosses which can be traded in at the entrance for the item you want, or the ability to transmute from one type item of a type to another, melee weapon for any other melee weapon, any wooden implement for any other wooden implement, etc.. If they still want item drops then have us able to hand a trash item in at a vendor for a token so that after so many times you get what you were looking for. Like transmutation it would put an upper limit on getting what you are looking for without killing randomness totally.

A token system would be wonderful and I wish ESO had one.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you trying to make a tank? If not, frost staves are frowned upon in PVE group content.

Either way, I don't know if there is anything specific you can do to improve your chances.
  • Trikie_Dik
    Trikie_Dik
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same thought too @El_Borracho but since he said he was a solo player for farming, i assumed he was farming for solo game play where pulling taunt wont be an issue or making a permafrost PVP type build - but good point to bring up none the less!

Anyways, i agree that a token drop or exchange rate on discarded items like the crown store gem sell-back feature would be cool but dont think its really necessary with transmute in place. Get 3x guys to run it with you, or pay 3 people, and im willing to bet at least one frost staff will drop over the course of a few days.... but i do know the feeling about WTF IS THIS THING - BSW Inferno staff specifically after days and days of running CoA1 - (then you watch it drop to a lv39 pug rather then one of the 3x CP160+ guys haha)

Edited by Trikie_Dik on February 6, 2019 6:36AM
  • Madrajin
    Madrajin
    I finally got one yesterday. I've run the dungeon with people plenty of times, but with group finder parties many people don't even both to talk let alone check if they have a specific loot drop you are looking for. After the dungeon is complete many people just leave immediately (also highly annoying if you want to complete a quest and then find yourself teleported out of the dungeon before you can talk to the quest giver).

I think I ran it solo more times than in a group over 100 times over all I recon. I'm a casual player who only logs on once every few days. I had tried to get the staff and failed for almost 6 months. It was an annoying grind. Especially since I still don't know if this character is actually going to be viable for harder veteran dungeons.

The next painful grind will be getting all the legendary grains to improve my jewellery. Currently 400k gold to improve each piece.

Character background:
    Yes it is a sorcerer tank and hence why I wanted to try a frost staff on the off-bar. I already have a lightning staff on the main bar and was using a resto staff on the off-bar. I've been using Inner Fire to taunt but it's an expensive ability to cast.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to avoid needing weapons from dungeons if I can help it. For example, it is easier to get the mother's sorrow staff from a group dungeon (or buy it) than a burning spell weave from city of ash. Jewellery is a little bit easier than weapons from the dungeons, but clothing is the easiest to get.

If you are getting both sets from dungeons, then good luck;).
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not forget chests. Chests can drop any set from that dungeon. But yes, Searching for a specific weapon will take time.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make DLC dungeons quests repeatable so you could get a coffer and additional chance.
  • eso_lytw8
    eso_lytw8
    ✭✭✭
    Yes this is extremely frustrating...looking for a specific weapon and it never dropping. Here is what I recommend.
    1. Make sure you know where all the chests are and that you have treasure hunter passive. This will greatly increase your chances. You should find two chests per run. They can and do often drop weapons.
    2. Much better to run with full group, I get downtime but full group greatly increases your chances. And its extra important if you are running it on the same character repeatedly (see below).
    3. Yes always ask people at the beginning and remind them right before attacking final boss what you need.
    4. Get to know people you are running with, I always talk live offer to help other etc. It is much more likely that someone else will get your weapon than you.
    5. Offer a reward, I suggest 50k. This is usually enough for someone to pay extra attention and to give you the item instead of maybe saving it for an alt. Many people are just doing dailies as quickly as possible, they don't even check what they get. Well give them a reason to check. Give them a reason to stop for a chest. It is a win-win.
    6. THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL THING - run it on different L50 characters, do not run it on the same one. I've posted numerous examples demonstrating the high likelihood that drop rates are different at the character level. In other words the RNG is not acting as intended from one character to the next. Here is the thing if I am right you might be on a character with an extra low probability for frost staff, if I am wrong it matters not. In other words you can't really loose by switching characters, but you might loose by not switching.

Best of luck, when you get your staff, reply back what worked for you.

Edited by eso_lytw8 on August 24, 2019 5:57PM
    < Xbox NA PVE >