The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Tab Targeting Woes

Banegrivm
Banegrivm
✭✭
I have these two friends, both guildmates, and they both have issues with the way the current targeting system works. I personally am fine with it, but the one person feels combat is too fast and he finds himself getting lost. He does not have problems with games like Diablo however that are also action oriented. The second friend busted his finger and it didn't heal properly so the finger doesn't work like it normally should. That friend can't even use WASD to move because of it. The bottom line is that both are used to tab target mechanics which obviously do not exist in ESO. My question is there, can anyone come up with any suggestions that might help these two friends of mine? I've been looking at mods to see if I could find one that might help them both, but have yet to find one. I would really very much appreciate any helpful suggestions that anyone could provide that might solve my friends problems.
Banegrivm Shadowblight
Sovereign Lord of the 1st Fist of Light
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banegrivm wrote: »
    I have these two friends, both guildmates, and they both have issues with the way the current targeting system works. I personally am fine with it, but the one person feels combat is too fast and he finds himself getting lost. He does not have problems with games like Diablo however that are also action oriented. The second friend busted his finger and it didn't heal properly so the finger doesn't work like it normally should. That friend can't even use WASD to move because of it. The bottom line is that both are used to tab target mechanics which obviously do not exist in ESO. My question is there, can anyone come up with any suggestions that might help these two friends of mine? I've been looking at mods to see if I could find one that might help them both, but have yet to find one. I would really very much appreciate any helpful suggestions that anyone could provide that might solve my friends problems.

No offense to you or your friends, but regardless of the situation for those 2 friends of yours, the Targeting system is kinda whacky in general.

you can tab Target an enemie but if anther boss, add etc. walks in front of it you can still spot the add...why even tab target then...

Tab Target should work way stronger than it currently does
    Can reffer to vAS+2 fights, where the focus was on kill the NB asap before it goes enrage...its stacked on athe main boss, I tab Target the NB, and skills and La's still hit the mainboss instead of the targeted enemie.

Furthermore, If en enemie in PVE is tab Targeted, the target shoul dnot be lost, when he jumps etc. now when the Sorc jumps to its new position n vAS+2, you loos the tab Target on it, same for NB

This problem is not Trial or fight specific, but rather an overall flaw in gameplay design IMO.
    Edited by SaintSubwayy on February 5, 2019 7:40AM
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    Banegrivm wrote: »

No offense to you or your friends, but regardless of the situation for those 2 friends of yours, the Targeting system is kinda whacky in general.

you can tab Target an enemie but if anther boss, add etc. walks in front of it you can still spot the add...why even tab target then...

Tab Target should work way stronger than it currently does
    Can reffer to vAS+2 fights, where the focus was on kill the NB asap before it goes enrage...its stacked on athe main boss, I tab Target the NB, and skills and La's still hit the mainboss instead of the targeted enemie.

Furthermore, If en enemie in PVE is tab Targeted, the target shoul dnot be lost, when he jumps etc. now when the Sorc jumps to its new position n vAS+2, you loos the tab Target on it, same for NB

This problem is not Trial or fight specific, but rather an overall flaw in gameplay design IMO.

I get all this, really I do... but I'm looking for suggestions to HELP. I already know these things. The "Tab Highlight" doesn't always guarantee that you are going to hit the highlighted target. You can still miss. If you have any ideas of something that these two might be able to do to help them out, I would really love to hear it. These guys are great guys and I'd hate to lose them in ESO because they have issues with the fact there is no tab target, thus making the game difficult for them because of their situations. They would love to play, and the one has tried, many times... but leaves every time because of the targeting mechanics.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way to 'slow' combat down, so, other than not letting himself get mentally out of sorts, there is little he can do.

Has the second friend tried a controller?
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Banegrivm sadly theres nothing they could do to improve their expirience regarding the targetting mechanics of eso

The system isnt great, but no afaik there are no chages to it planned what so ever
    @Quantum_V ...maybe something you can bring in the next classrep meeting
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is actually tab targeting. It's just crap though.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, there is a UI addon that puts one or two big colourful brackets around mobs you are fighting. I don't know the name, but I have seen it on videos of other players, maybe somebody else can chime in. It might make it easier for your friends to focus on a given boss. Another thing I can think of is if they have adjusted their crosshairs at all, because dependng on character height, it's different, and may find it more optimal if they play around with different positions. For eg. I used to have it a bit low and only recently realized if I put it higher, mobs are targetted better.
  • Banegrivm
    Banegrivm
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, there is a UI addon that puts one or two big colourful brackets around mobs you are fighting. I don't know the name, but I have seen it on videos of other players, maybe somebody else can chime in. It might make it easier for your friends to focus on a given boss. Another thing I can think of is if they have adjusted their crosshairs at all, because dependng on character height, it's different, and may find it more optimal if they play around with different positions. For eg. I used to have it a bit low and only recently realized if I put it higher, mobs are targetted better.

Yes I have heard of that, but it doesn't change things really unfortunately. I am guessing from the sounds of things that we are just not going to have two guild members playing.
    Banegrivm Shadowblight