The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The New Rugged (Nord Passive): Buff, Nerf, or Does it Depend?

Samsgaard
Samsgaard
✭✭✭
The current passive is 6% damage reduction. If this is multiplicative, as I suspect, then in practice it isn't really 6%.

The new passive is about 4k physical and spell resistance. Under what circumstances is this better or worse?

My Nord sorc shock tank, in her "heavy duty" spec (which includes Lord Warden and Thunderbug), is already slightly over the resistance cap, at 34k. In that spec, another 4k of resistance will be a complete waste. And even if I replace Thunderbug with a non-resistance set, I think she'd still be slightly over the resistance cap.

However, usually she's in a different spec that has her at 24k resistance. In that spec, the additional 4k from the new passive will not be wasted. But will it be better than the separate 6% (or whatever it actually is) that the passive currently provides?

@paulsimonps

I think this calls for you to answer!

Edited by Samsgaard on January 28, 2019 5:39AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buff for all but bleeds.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are only two situations where its a "nerf" against bleed attacks, cause it doesn't work then, and if you are at cap. But if you are using Lord Warden then my suggestion to not waste that part of their racial is to not use Major Ward/Resolve. The Racial is slightly weaker then those two but it should keep you from max capping. For a Sorc tank that already have limited space I would suggest not running the Lightning Form Skill or not running Lord Warden, Earthgore or even Chokethorn1p+Shadowrend1p might be preferred.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only two situations where its a "nerf" against bleed attacks, cause it doesn't work then, and if you are at cap. But if you are using Lord Warden then my suggestion to not waste that part of their racial is to not use Major Ward/Resolve. The Racial is slightly weaker then those two but it should keep you from max capping. For a Sorc tank that already have limited space I would suggest not running the Lightning Form Skill or not running Lord Warden, Earthgore or even Chokethorn1p+Shadowrend1p might be preferred.

Next patch there will be a better regen set than chokethorn+shadowrend. CH+SR give about 300 mag regen after all the multipliers, Stonekeeper will probably average about 400-450 mag AND stam regen (535 max).

As for the passive, yep, sounds about right. It's a nerf if you're capped or being targeted by bleeds, a buff otherwise.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »

Next patch there will be a better regen set than chokethorn+shadowrend. CH+SR give about 300 mag regen after all the multipliers, Stonekeeper will probably average about 400-450 mag AND stam regen (535 max).

As for the passive, yep, sounds about right. It's a nerf if you're capped or being targeted by bleeds, a buff otherwise.

Oh yea, I forgot about the new set. That is true, though I can see it lacking in fights were you are hit slowly, it might not be as good then, but then again in those fights you are more likely to use less selfish sets anyway so probably a mute point.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's absolutely a buff...unless you are a pve tank already at cap. But maybe it will allow you to drop some resists by wearing heavy armor for medium armor, or light armor if that's your thing.

For PvP though your resistance cap depends on who you are fighting. It could be you are facing someone with 3k pen and you resist cap would be 36k. In pvp I have no problem stacking as much resist as you can. I personally have seen my spell resist reach 45k. And the player hitting me was still able to get through the resists to bring me below cap. I've also seen, although rarely, snipe gankers with 17k penetration, that means...in order to fully negate his penetration I'd have to be at 50k resists...and we all know physical pen is harder to come by than spell. Understandably of course.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samsgaard wrote: »
    The current passive is 6% damage reduction. If this is multiplicative, as I suspect, then in practice it isn't really 6%.

The new passive is about 4k physical and spell resistance. Under what circumstances is this better or worse?

For my Nord stamsorc tank, it's gonna be worse, because I stack so much resist that I'm already slightly over the cap. Guess I'll have to change some gear to compensate for that. Maybe slap some Hatchling's shell on for a damage shield instead.
    Edited by Uryel on January 28, 2019 10:30PM
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Large--and appropriate--buff for PvE tanking. Even in the context of bleeds, the Nord 6% racial mitigation was applied near the end of the damage received calculation, so it suffered heavily from diminishing returns after accounting for block, CP, maim, etc.

Another way of stating it would be: the 6% was practically a non-bonus, even for bleeds, so now there's at least some bonus replacing it.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    buff; nords fully support 5/1/1 build now
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
    (non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    waitwhat wrote: »
    Large--and appropriate--buff for PvE tanking. Even in the context of bleeds, the Nord 6% racial mitigation was applied near the end of the damage received calculation, so it suffered heavily from diminishing returns after accounting for block, CP, maim, etc.

Another way of stating it would be: the 6% was practically a non-bonus, even for bleeds, so now there's at least some bonus replacing it.

Inaccurate way of explaining it as when thing are multiplicative the order does not matter, you just as well say that you blocking gets diminishing returns cause of the old Nord passive. It was a Nerf against bleed no matter how you put it.
    satanio wrote: »
    buff; nords fully support 5/1/1 build now

All races do, any race can pull off a 5/1/1
    Uryel wrote: »
    Samsgaard wrote: »

For my Nord stamsorc tank, it's gonna be worse, because I stack so much resist that I'm already slightly over the cap. Guess I'll have to change some gear to compensate for that. Maybe slap some Hatchling's shell on for a damage shield instead.

@Uryel

What are you running?
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff.

Just in time for the new resource return monster set, so you can wear something besides Lord Warden/Bloodpsawn/chudan and still have resistances high enough.

honestly those make too much sense happening at the same time so only adds to nord being the optimal tank race, hands down now.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Include "decreases damage over time effects on you by 6%"
    Edited by JobooAGS on January 29, 2019 12:38AM
  • Samsgaard
    Samsgaard
    ✭✭✭
    Good news for my shock tank and ice tank, both of whom are Nords. :smile:

Lord Warden will not be missed by the shock tank. It was not thematically-appropriate, not needed for personal defense in most situations, and rarely worn. It was just part of an alt-spec mostly to help the group in tight spots.
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord pet sorcs are going to be obnoxious to deal with.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Uryel

What are you running?

Can't check right now, but there is Forftified Brass for sure (+ 8k resists, roughly), and I believe the other set is Warrior-Poet, so that would total for 11k resists, roughly. Not counting the "normal" armour bonus that is, just the bonus resists. I keep Hurricane up at all time, meaning + 5k resists, which brings the bonus resists to 16k. And of course there is the bonus from the heavy armor line, 2k I believe. And well, he's a werewolf, so... +10 k resist on command if needed, not so useful for tanking but very handy for solo play, or simply to avoid death, as the werewolf has some useful skills to self-heal (Claws of Life, Hircine's Rage). And, well CP in resists. From memory, I think my total resists are about 42K. Not in werewolf form, that is.

In a tough fight, I'll also cast the fighter's guild Rune of Protection morph "Turn Undead" for a percentage of damage reduction that worked really well with the Nord's racial percentage of damage reduction, Dark deal would allow me to use mana to recover health and stamina, and for the ultimate, aside from werewolf I used Absorption Field. Stuns the trash for a rather long time, while healing me, and while Hurricane damages them.

And for added survivability, Shielded assault that grants both mobility on the battlefield and a damage shield ; Brawler (from the 2 handed line, I use that on my second bar) that gives a damage shield per enemy hit, which works fine with Absorption Field in case of serious need ; and Rally that I try to keep up at all time too for HP regen. And well, there is always Hardened ward, but that's sub-optimal since it's a magicka skill. Can give a little bonus, though.

This character has only a little more over 30k HP when buffed by food (rather, drink, Dubious Camoran Throne for the added stam regen since I get none from gear), but he simply won't take large amount of damage. Can't say how he would perform in trials, though, I don't do that. I mostly play duo with my wife, so it's overland and dungeons, no large group content.

Now, with the racial passive changed to flat resists instead of damage percentage, chances are good that damage numbers will be slightly higher, as the bonus resists will have no use for me. Hence the idea to switch for a set that provides less resist, but a damage shield instead.
    Edited by Uryel on January 29, 2019 9:20AM
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭

Let's not nitpick... or otherwise we can say that everyone can do everything equally and all this discussion is pointless.

They support it better than every other race. That's a fact. If you're fan of 33100 cap and 5/1/1 fanboy, nord is your clear choice. THAT doesn't mean that it may be obsolete in case when you're wearing bloodspawn/lord warden/insertsetwithresistanceshere for group support.
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
    (non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    satanio wrote: »

Let's not nitpick... or otherwise we can say that everyone can do everything equally and all this discussion is pointless.

They support it better than every other race. That's a fact. If you're fan of 33100 cap and 5/1/1 fanboy, nord is your clear choice. THAT doesn't mean that it may be obsolete in case when you're wearing bloodspawn/lord warden/insertsetwithresistanceshere for group support.

Yes but let's not make it seem that not all can now shall we, best to avoid misinterpretation.
    Uryel wrote: »
    @Uryel

What are you running?

Can't check right now, but there is Forftified Brass for sure (+ 8k resists, roughly), and I believe the other set is Warrior-Poet, so that would total for 11k resists, roughly. Not counting the "normal" armour bonus that is, just the bonus resists. I keep Hurricane up at all time, meaning + 5k resists, which brings the bonus resists to 16k. And of course there is the bonus from the heavy armor line, 2k I believe. And well, he's a werewolf, so... +10 k resist on command if needed, not so useful for tanking but very handy for solo play, or simply to avoid death, as the werewolf has some useful skills to self-heal (Claws of Life, Hircine's Rage). And, well CP in resists. From memory, I think my total resists are about 42K. Not in werewolf form, that is.

In a tough fight, I'll also cast the fighter's guild Rune of Protection morph "Turn Undead" for a percentage of damage reduction that worked really well with the Nord's racial percentage of damage reduction, Dark deal would allow me to use mana to recover health and stamina, and for the ultimate, aside from werewolf I used Absorption Field. Stuns the trash for a rather long time, while healing me, and while Hurricane damages them.

And for added survivability, Shielded assault that grants both mobility on the battlefield and a damage shield ; Brawler (from the 2 handed line, I use that on my second bar) that gives a damage shield per enemy hit, which works fine with Absorption Field in case of serious need ; and Rally that I try to keep up at all time too for HP regen. And well, there is always Hardened ward, but that's sub-optimal since it's a magicka skill. Can give a little bonus, though.

This character has only a little more over 30k HP when buffed by food (rather, drink, Dubious Camoran Throne for the added stam regen since I get none from gear), but he simply won't take large amount of damage. Can't say how he would perform in trials, though, I don't do that. I mostly play duo with my wife, so it's overland and dungeons, no large group content.

Now, with the racial passive changed to flat resists instead of damage percentage, chances are good that damage numbers will be slightly higher, as the bonus resists will have no use for me. Hence the idea to switch for a set that provides less resist, but a damage shield instead.

@Uryel

Dude you are way tanky you should be way over cap already with your setup, no need to go that defensive, a little over kill really.
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a buff overall and will help Nords get to the resist cap more easily without needing a helm set focused on resists such as Chudan or Warden. It will open up gear options for Nord Tanks, and in my opinion, makes Nords the new meta.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's an overall nerf in PVP, but not a debilitating one. Bleeds now do 6% more damage, Mauls will effectively ignore about 800 worth of that armor and destro staff will breach another 390 worth of it. However, Nord was buffed elsewhere and can more than make use of the WW Hide passive.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    Well, it's an overall nerf in PVP, but not a debilitating one. Bleeds now do 6% more damage, Mauls will effectively ignore about 800 worth of that armor and destro staff will breach another 390 worth of it. However, Nord was buffed elsewhere and can more than make use of the WW Hide passive.

it's not 20% off specific bonuses. It's 20% after major breach but before flat penetration sources.

So if the nord gets 30000 (45%) armor with his passive, and you have major fracture with mace and 3k CP penetration, you'll bring his armor down to 16776 (25%). Mace alone drops 4944 penetration; more penetration than gold spriggans in this example.

Even if its against a 21k armor target, youll drop him to 9576, with mace pulling in at 3144 armor dropped; way more than gold sharp trait.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Uryel

Dude you are way tanky you should be way over cap already with your setup, no need to go that defensive, a little over kill really.

Funny thing is I realised there was a cap long after the character was setup. The positive side is that even facing something with 10k armor penetration, I would still have my whole resist level ^^'

Makes for fun boss sessions, though. I don't even need to block, most of the time.
  • Nisekev
    Nisekev
    ✭✭✭
    From what I learned from this thread, it's a buff that offers more flexibility to tanks - you can take more sustain or damage instead of excess resistance.
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff and Nerf.

As stated bleed damage in PVP is over performing and will only hurt more. Why they haven't made bleeds mitigated by resistances yet is baffling but it is what it is.

Nord Tanks can reach cap easier now, allow us to switch out and wear different set-ups, allocate CP to other areas like defense against bleeds.

What really gets me excited about the 4k resists is in non CP it helps a lot (PVP), it also allows Nord Mages and Nord Warriors to feel tankier in medium and light armor now without feeling like you need to PVP in heavy. This allows us to bring more damage while getting the resists that others need to wear heavy armor for to feel not so squishy.
    Edited by IronWooshu on January 30, 2019 5:37PM
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

it's not 20% off specific bonuses. It's 20% after major breach but before flat penetration sources.

So if the nord gets 30000 (45%) armor with his passive, and you have major fracture with mace and 3k CP penetration, you'll bring his armor down to 16776 (25%). Mace alone drops 4944 penetration; more penetration than gold spriggans in this example.

Even if its against a 21k armor target, youll drop him to 9576, with mace pulling in at 3144 armor dropped; way more than gold sharp trait.

You're thinking too hard about it. Say I have one mace and my opponent has 10k armor, non-nord. My mace provides 1k pen. Say it's against a Nord who now Has 13.9k armor. My mace provides 1.39k pen. It doesn't really matter what your values are unless your pen values reduce your targets armor to sub 3.96k - the pen offered from maces and mauls & destroy will always be the same in relation to Rugged.
  • Gorrest
    Gorrest
    ✭✭✭

You're thinking too hard about it. Say I have one mace and my opponent has 10k armor, non-nord. My mace provides 1k pen. Say it's against a Nord who now Has 13.9k armor. My mace provides 1.39k pen. It doesn't really matter what your values are unless your pen values reduce your targets armor to sub 3.96k - the pen offered from maces and mauls & destroy will always be the same in relation to Rugged.

Hes actually correct.

(Target.PhysicalResist) + Target.PhysicalDebuff)*(1 - Skill2.PhysicalPenetration) - PhysicalPenetration)

(Target.PhysicalResist)=Target's Resist
    (Target.PhysicalDebuff)=Debuffs applied to the target, Minor/Major Fracture/Alkosh
    (Skill2.PhysicalPenetration)=Maces
    (PhysicalPenetration)=Flat vaules like CP, Spriggans
    -PvP Characters-

AD Mag DK, Mc Flabben
    AD Mag Templar, Gorrest
    AD Mag Sorc, Edrene Kingsley
    AD MagWarden, Mc Woflen
    EP Stam Sorc, Elder Procs Online
    DC Stam DK, One Shot Online