The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Installing ESO onto a 2nd PC (initially purchased thru Steam, account now linked to ESO.com)

TheYKcid
TheYKcid
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hi there! I'm about to install ESO onto a 2nd PC (my new laptop), and was wondering whether I would be able to do so via the download option on the ESO website's account portal.

Background info:
I initially purchased the game through Steam, but have since linked my Steam account to the ESO website. These days, I am able to play directly through eso64.exe, and don't use Steam at all.

Knowing this, would I be able to install purely the ESO files from the ESO website—and bypass Steam entirely—on my laptop?

Just checking in order to be safe. It would suck to install the entire game (though the ESO website) only to find out that it doesn't work, and that I need to install again via Steam.
Edited by TheYKcid on January 28, 2019 6:02PM
PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such hax, kid
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you bought it through steam, you have to download through Steam.

Although there are ways to move Steam installed games to a different drive or PC so you don't have to download from steam again.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Nestor

I am actually able to download it from the ESO website, after logging-in to the account portal, as depicted below:

NaDlxlj.png

The link downloads an application called "Install_ESO.exe", which I tested and can confirm works (I terminated it before the installation actually began, though).

In light of this, do you reckon I can go ahead and successfully install in this manner? My account behaves like an original ESO.com account in all other ways.

Edited by TheYKcid on January 28, 2019 6:13PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How long ago did you purchase through Steam?

Direct run of the .exe hasn't worked for quite some time if it was Steam linked.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you can do is try
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Merlin13KAGL

I purchased the game through Steam around Nov 2016. I linked it to ESO.com... sometime within the last year?

Both eso64.exe & Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe work fine for me when directly launched from the app.
    Edited by TheYKcid on January 28, 2019 6:48PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @TheYKcid I think you made it in before they changed it over. Consider yourself very fortunate.

As such, you should be able to simply copy the entire Zenimax Online folder to the new PC. Copy the Elder Scrolls Online folder to your new Documents folder if you want to transfer settings/addons, etc, too.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's awesome to hear! Thanks for the responses.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Nestor @Merlin13KAGL

Just an update for you guys—I went ahead and installed the game using the ESO.com download, and it worked perfectly, no Steam involved! So it does appear that for linked accounts, being able to play without Steam is a good indication of whether you'd need a Steam install in fufure.

Bummer that ZOS stopped allowing Steam customers to do that, though! I have to wonder why they changed that.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it is worth the try as you can avoid the all to common issues with Steam.

And if it works then a great many can relish abandoning their connection to Steam and the associated issues for logging into the game. Though I expect you still have to purchase crowns and ESO+ via Steam, but that is not the problem.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @idk I tried it and it worked lol. See my previous post!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    @idk I tried it and it worked lol. See my previous post!

I missed that it worked. Great and great news to everyone who has their game tied to Steam.

I suggest they try this if they want to avoid the issues with loggin in via Steam before the loop hole is closed. That last workaround was closed except to those who were already able to use it.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't it work? You should be able to log into ESO from any computer in the world that has the client installed. Your account exists on ZOS servers, not Steam.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it work? You should be able to log into ESO from any computer in the world that has the client installed. Your account exists on ZOS servers, not Steam.

It is well known that most who purchased ESO via Steam have to log in via Steam. Some who purchased it early can bypass that and log in directly but that early loop hole was closed long ago.

So, obviously there is very solid reason to think it would not work.
    Edited by idk on January 31, 2019 9:37PM