The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Anyone else disappointed with the Necromancer so far?

LordTareq
LordTareq
✭✭✭✭✭
When they first announced it I was pretty excited. But now that we have more information, not so much anymore. Specifically the summoning is very disappointing. Imho its not really a necromancer if you can't summon a bunch of zombies or skeletal warriors to act as a meatshield. Having 'summons' as essentially glorified spell effects just doesn't get me excited for the class, really a missed opportunity imho.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not impressed with pet mechanics and controls in this game so some simplified fire and forget pets might very well be an improvement
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everstorm wrote: »
    I'm not impressed with pet mechanics and controls in this game so some simplified fire and forget pets might very well be an improvement

I agree. I’m happy the necromancer will be similar to the warden in that regard - other than Yogi, of course. It’s bad enough when you walk into the bank and there are sorc twilights flapping around.

• VeiledCriticism
    VeiledCriticism
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, it is not even on PTS and no gameplay has been released we can't infer much into the class yet! Although, it was said in the Stream that the Necromancer will not have "permanent" pets, such as the Warden's Bear and Sorcerers familiars, it does not mean 'no summoning'. Also, there's a huge difference in the lore about Necromancers vs. Conjurerers.
  • Nisekev
    Nisekev
    ✭✭✭
    I am. Despite not being a fan of ESO pet mechanics, I expected it to be the third pet class. Instead we're getting "projectile" and "turret" "pets" of all kinds, so it's not a necromancer with skeleton/zombie minion (how cool it would be - a basic skeleton pet with tanky zombie and ranged skeleton mage morphs). Also I'm full of doubts that they'll offer an opportunity to build a beefy "Death Knight" character with this class.
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

same
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Raammzzaa wrote: »

I agree. I’m happy the necromancer will be similar to the warden in that regard - other than Yogi, of course. It’s bad enough when you walk into the bank and there are sorc twilights flapping around.

Or cant use a shrine.
    PC EU
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordTareq wrote: »
    When they first announced it I was pretty excited. But now that we have more information, not so much anymore. Specifically the summoning is very disappointing. Imho its not really a necromancer if you can't summon a bunch of zombies or skeletal warriors to act as a meatshield. Having 'summons' as essentially glorified spell effects just doesn't get me excited for the class, really a missed opportunity imho.
    I don't think this fits with how the rest of ESO's classes are set up and would be a balance and performance nightmare.

Also this isn't (to my knowledge) something which we see in the TES Games, most necromancers seem to raise one or two minions whilst in combat.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In wvw it will be bad. Just try to play pet sorc in wvw and realise that every 10 mins your pets are stuck, just gone on Holiday or something. You also have to remove petskills from bar to time to time because your pet is permanently stuck on some slope.
  • Pinesy
    Pinesy
    ✭✭✭
    Stibbons wrote: »
    In wvw it will be bad. Just try to play pet sorc in wvw and realise that every 10 mins your pets are stuck, just gone on Holiday or something. You also have to remove petskills from bar to time to time because your pet is permanently stuck on some slope.

Sorry, just randomly interjecting here, but you can also dismiss your pets by right clicking their buff in your active effects on your character screen (rather than removing the petskill from the bar). I didn't know this until someone told me, so thought i'd share :smile:
    Beezenees IGN (PC/NA)
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiddle wrote: »
    I mean, it is not even on PTS and no gameplay has been released we can't infer much into the class yet! Although, it was said in the Stream that the Necromancer will not have "permanent" pets, such as the Warden's Bear and Sorcerers familiars, it does not mean 'no summoning'. Also, there's a huge difference in the lore about Necromancers vs. Conjurerers.

Well we know all the active abilities since they showed them. The only traditional necromancer 'pets' are a skeletal mage and a skeletal mender, both which act like the nightblade's summon shade. Things may change of course, but as it stands I'm not enthusiastic.
    Edited by LordTareq on January 30, 2019 1:43PM
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also was a little dissapointed that there would be no permanent pets. I know that it would be quite a strain on performance and I do know what problems pets bring to the table.
    However I wish there was at least one permanent pet for necromancer - a golem of some sort.
    I hope that at least his summons will be targetable so that we will be able to use them as cover like in Diablo.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know enough to be disappointed yet.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Liww
    Liww
    ✭✭✭
    if they revamp the daedric summoning sorc tree necros can have their flesh atros or w/e, i'd be fine with it

I do think the current necro spells are pretty cool tho but u can have the pets lol
    Edited by Liww on January 30, 2019 2:32PM
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Too early, but we already have a sort of two pet classes with Sorc/Bear <No don't remove pets cause you don't like them>, but we don't need yet another.
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very early to make judgments but looking at the Necromancers skills I see a class like the Templar, a hold your ground style with a lot of AOE's at the base of your character.

I dont see mobility at all which I am fine with, there are outside sources and we dont need every class mobility warriors.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And therin lies the peoblem. Too many people are associating what necromancers are in other games to what they expected them to be in eso.

No offense but if you for even a second, thought necros in this game were going to have Diablo levels of summoned minions, you were way off.
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because I won't ever play one.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope when it's shown off, and play tested, that proper re-positioning is very strategic and ULTRA effective with the class.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unless they totally redo their pet mechanics from scratch (which will NOT happen), ESO remains leagues and leagues below even World Of Warcraft, where I have a dedicated control bar for all sorts of pets and can micromanage them (if I want).
    Then, there were games like "The Summoneer" that were even better, but even just "WoW pets quality" would suffice for ESO.
  • FastBen
    FastBen
    ✭✭✭
    Only a true ESO player can be disappointed with something still not released. Well done!
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From a Necromancer class, the bare minimum one would expect is the ability to summon some form of Skeleton and/or Zombie to fight for you. Preferably both in some way.

These could either be via class abilities, or at the very least we need an ultimate similar to the Warden bear that summons a powerful undead creature to fight on your behalf. The huge dragon ulti Ive seen in screenshots looks great, but I really would prefer something more traditionally associated with Necromancy, and something with more longevity like the Warden bear.

• Hati
    Hati
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually very excited about that class, but i really want more info about it, hope to get some soon :)
    The one who hates.

• luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I think they're looking awesome from what we see in concept art. And i'm hyped as hell.

I think it's great there's a lot of tactical play potential from corpses available, and positioning from corpses, player and party members / enemies.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    While the concept sounds boring, it could very well be an interesting pet class none the less. There isn't enough information yet and the class has only been leaked via data mines.
    Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
    Twitch: Pandalius
    Beam: Pandalius
    Twitter: Pandalius
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How are you disappointed it's not even out yet!?

I mean yeah it sucks because we don't have global achievements but really...
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »
    How are you disappointed it's not even out yet!?

I mean yeah it sucks because we don't have global achievements but really...

The class needs to be released before we are allowed to be disappointed? What madness is that. When Ducati announces from now on they will only make 125CC scooters, I can be disappointed before they even release those 125cc scooters can't I?
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get to play with corpses. I think we will have our dark fun.
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think ES lore is different than others. We think necromancer and automatically assume an army of dead!

ES necros in, say, Oblivion did not have armies of dead. Necros in ESO even only summon one thing. I get it that maybe we were hoping for a "pet" to stay summoned but waddya do...
    PS4 NA
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it mostly looks great, from the little we've seen of it so far.
    The only thing that disappoints me is that they seem to be doing the same thing they did with warden, where they have one entire tree for healing, and one entire tree for tanking. Argh, no, please don't do that.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I think they have something interesting going but I find it too early to have any opinions. None of us have play-tested it so how can we have a proper opinion?
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>