The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

What's the point of Clannfear?

Seraphayel
Seraphayel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Can somebody tell me? Does the Clannfear still tank (taunt?) or make a formidable tank pet?

If not, what's the point of this morph? The selfhealing when activated? Isn't that a bit redundant with Matriarch?
PS5
EU
Aldmeri Dominion
- Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a very good heal for sorc tanks. Other than that its pretty useless.
    Jo'Khaljor
    Options
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deals Physical damage instead of magicka/shock and allows you to use Tormentor, even if for stamsorc its useless pet.
    Options
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Awesome heals for Sorc Tank. I've survived some stuff with that thing.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The clannfear heal is scaled on max health rather than max magicka, which is why it's a better tank heal.
    Options
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    to fear your clanns. duh....
    Options
  • Deloth_Vyrr
    Deloth_Vyrr
    ✭✭✭
    Its functionally a mess.

It no longer taunts as of a few patches ago, so its lost that use for leveling.

Although it does physical damage, its summoned with magicka, it's damage scales off max magicka, but it uses your physical pen and crit ratings - making it useless for both magicka and stam characters.

It's only current purpose is its activated ability, which is a heal based on max health (so a self-heal for tanks).

They need to re-work the Clanfear to be a proper stam pet morph (and at the same time they can replace the useless Charged Atronach morph for a Stam version - Air Atronach).
    Edited by Deloth_Vyrr on January 29, 2019 9:32PM
    <Twin-Moons Covenant> PC NA
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Voice of Reason
    Shadow Breaker
    Flawless Conqueror
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pets never taunted, they pulled aggro and still do but the only way to taunt things is with a puncture, inner rage, ice staff heavys and tormenter set.

Clanfear is the best percentage based heal in the game. The matriarch is for magic users. As its heals are only based on your max magic.
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I didn't know Clannfear was supposed to be the "tank heal pet", now it does make sense.

I was just wondering what's the point of it if Matriarch can heal as well and deal better damage, why even consider Clannfear.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't know Clannfear was supposed to be the "tank heal pet", now it does make sense.

I was just wondering what's the point of it if Matriarch can heal as well and deal better damage, why even consider Clannfear.

the point is that your asking the wrong "why". you want to ask is what use is clannfear when the matriarch is a better heal. the answer is when the matriarch is not the better heal for your build, like on a tank. of course any dps magsorc ought to the scamp, cause the dps the scamp puts out is insane.
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much half knowledge here again.
    Yes, the Clannfear does taunt. Always has and still does, but only if you are alone. It looses this ability once another player joins the fight.

I said many times before, I always use the Clannfear to solo bosses in the Imperial City on no CP. I have just done it yesterday and it worked as fine as it always did. Just play solo, then it works. However, it can only use this ability once every few seconds. So it's only enough for 1 target.
    Edited by Dracane on January 30, 2019 9:38AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

It is supposed to be used by StamSorc tanks who can´t use the matriarch efficiently. With the deletion of the Overload bar and the completely outdated double bar requirement for pets, it is difficult to justify, though.

It can also be used for soloing hard content.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pets never taunted, they pulled aggro and still do but the only way to taunt things is with a puncture, inner rage, ice staff heavys and tormenter set.

Clanfear is the best percentage based heal in the game. The matriarch is for magic users. As its heals are only based on your max magic.
    Not used it for an long time but its supposed to have an taunt but it only work if only player does damage on enemy.
    So you could use it to solo bosses and stuff like that.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »
    It can also be used for soloing hard content.

Is it really the better option here, too? So it has more life and is overall a better tank than the Imp with the AoE? Because on my new toon I morphed it to the explosive imp now. Soloing world bosses works with it too but maybe it's less stressful with the Clannfear?

What would you say, @Dracane ?
    Edited by Seraphayel on January 30, 2019 10:59AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Seraphayel
    It is an option. On my tank build, I use the volatile familiar. So I only switch to the Clannfear when I do no CP content.

The clannfear has more health than an average caster, can only take 45% of its life per hit, so it does survive at least 2 bursts and it's almost immune to AoE's. So yes, it's definately better at taking hits than you, the player. :)

In the Imperial City, some bosses can deal over 30k damage per hit. However, even those will be reduced to 10k on the clannfear, as it can only take 45% health as damage per hit. You can see why I prefer to use it instead of tanking it myself.
    Edited by Dracane on January 30, 2019 11:08AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Yes, the Clannfear does taunt. Always has and still does, but only if you are alone. It looses this ability once another player joins the fight.

I said many times before, I always use the Clannfear to solo bosses in the Imperial City on no CP. I have just done it yesterday and it worked as fine as it always did. Just play solo, then it works. However, it can only use this ability once every few seconds. So it's only enough for 1 target.

you are talking about "aggro" not a taunt, like what happens to all players that attack a mob. tell me this, if you use puncture on the mob your clannfear has "taunted" and the clannfear "taunts" does the mob become taunt immune for 15 seconds like what happens with 2 players actually taunted? if not, then the clannfear simply holds the aggro of the mob. no taunt involved.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on January 30, 2019 11:10AM
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you are talking about "aggro" not a taunt, like what happens to all players that attack a mob. tell me this, if you use puncture on the mob your clannfear has "taunted" and the clannfear "taunts" does the mob become taunt immune for 15 seconds like what happens with 2 players actually taunted? if not, then the clannfear simply holds the aggro of the mob. not taunt involved.

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    No, it's an actual taunt. This is applied as a debuff to the mob, it's the same Icon as player taunts.
    It disables the taunted mob from attacking you, no matter what. It is not aggro, it's a taunt.

Edited by Dracane on January 30, 2019 11:10AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point of the clanfear is a heal for the tank (or dps) as it heals for a percentage of their max health (also heals the clanfear). The self healing is not redundant to the matriarch as it is both guaranteed to hit the caster and for a tank it will be a much larger heal since it scales off health instead of magicka.

It also does physical damage last time I checked. Basically it has been the worst choice for a magicka damage build to use for a long time.

Someone is saying Zos added the taunt back to the clanfear. This is something that should be removed again as it does not make sense one class out of all 5 (about to be 6) has a tank companion.
    Edited by idk on January 30, 2019 11:19AM
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

you are talking about "aggro" not a taunt, like what happens to all players that attack a mob. tell me this, if you use puncture on the mob your clannfear has "taunted" and the clannfear "taunts" does the mob become taunt immune for 15 seconds like what happens with 2 players actually taunted? if not, then the clannfear simply holds the aggro of the mob. not taunt involved.

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    No, it's an actual taunt. This is applied as a debuff to the mob, it's the same Icon as player taunts.
    It disables the taunted mob from attacking you, no matter what. It is not aggro, it's a taunt.

so i did some of my own testing, and the clannfear does indeed apply a taunt. when you are alone. in a group though, it does not and acts the way i have described. so you do not have to worry about causing mobs to become taunt immune as a tank while using the clannfear, while in a group.
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO

so i did some of my own testing, and the clannfear does indeed apply a taunt. when you are alone. in a group though, it does not and acts the way i have described. so you do not have to worry about causing mobs to become taunt immune as a tank while using the clannfear, while in a group.

Indeed. :) That's what I could gather as well.
    So uhm, you believe me ? I actually just filmed a video just for you to demonstrate the clannfear taunt. I guess I can delete it then ?
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO

Indeed. :) That's what I could gather as well.
    So uhm, you believe me ? I actually just filmed a video just for you to demonstrate the clannfear taunt. I guess I can delete it then ?

i do believe what i wrote but you ought to just post it if you went through all that work. for science.
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I normally run just run one pet (double slot matriarch and inner light). It's an easy sometimes tweak to drop inner light and run clannfear with matriarch.

Just soloed nBC1 this morning after reading this thread. Started with matriarch and clannfear. Clannfear was worthless with trash since he spent all his time chasing changing targets based on my lightning heavy attacks (which I use a lot) - unimpressive but no surprise there. Got to the big clannfear boss, told my clannfear to attack first and he actually did hold aggro for the first quarter or so of the fight. Boss honed in on me for the rest of the fight. So. . . I kicked my clannfear for being a fake tank (lol) and double slotted inner light again.

Got to Rilis the final boss and fight went okay. Ironically, my matriarch must have been watching my clannfear's earlier antics because she tanked Rilis for nearly a quarter of the fight - which is unusual for her in that fight.

Edited by AcadianPaladin on January 30, 2019 3:41PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Clannfear is clearly designed for sorc tanks. So thats why it doesn't really need a "taunt" as the use of it is to heal the tank summoning it.

I have no idea why I sometimes see healers and DPS slot clannfear. Pet sorcs is a mag thing and imp is clearly DPS and matriarch is clearly the healer pet or at least support for 4 mans / tormentor is more raid DPS based <As above 50% extra dmg is basically worthless in 4 man content where mobs don't stay there for as long and a quick heal is better>.
    Edited by karekiz on January 30, 2019 3:48PM
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well my sorc sometimes slots clannfear (with her matriarch) because she had a summoned clannfear in Oblivion and clannfears look waayyy cooler than any purple monkey. For dps effectiveness? Nah, the only reason would be if running solo and the clannfear reliably tanked. I've tried that numerous times and keep firing the clannfear for being a fake tank. Well, maybe not fake but not worth his slot.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a shame it can't in group. Has helped me out when had some fake roles before in dungeon. And to be honest the clannfear only pulled taint if the tank was crap lol

Also to OPs point they cool to level with, give you ground LOS, nd high health its a bigger heal than twilight i.e. Tanks
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    too be annoying inside the bank
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, Clannfear is great. I just changed the morph and it tanks very good. World bosses are no problem when you take care of your Clannfear, it holds aggro quite good.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • Aedrion
    Aedrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    33% heal based off max health is not worth a pet that barely tickles your enemies with each attack and does literally nothing else. Clannfear is a bad skill and urgently needs surgery to make it useful.

You might slot it on tanks but nowhere else in the game does it see use. It needs to be a 100% stamskill and have a 30 second duration and no cast time so it can be put on 1 bar. And maybe its attacks should apply minor fracture.
    Options
  • Deloth_Vyrr
    Deloth_Vyrr
    ✭✭✭
    Aedrion wrote: »
    33% heal based off max health is not worth a pet that barely tickles your enemies with each attack and does literally nothing else. Clannfear is a bad skill and urgently needs surgery to make it useful.

You might slot it on tanks but nowhere else in the game does it see use. It needs to be a 100% stamskill and have a 30 second duration and no cast time so it can be put on 1 bar. And maybe its attacks should apply minor fracture.

I agree with you on everything but the duration. As much as some seem to hate it, permanent pets are the Sorc thing that is likely to never change. We should be asking for Pets that are balanced around their double bar commitment instead of asking to change a system that is probably never going to change.

Necros will have temporary pets that need to be re-summoned and ZOS is clearly using that to differentiate between the two classes.
    Edited by Deloth_Vyrr on February 2, 2019 6:03PM
    <Twin-Moons Covenant> PC NA
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Voice of Reason
    Shadow Breaker
    Flawless Conqueror
    Options
  • Aedrion
    Aedrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you on everything but the duration. As much as some seem to hate it, permanent pets are the Sorc thing that is likely to never change. We should be asking for Pets that are balanced around their double bar commitment instead of asking to change a system that is probably never going to change.

Necros will have temporary pets that need to be re-summoned and ZOS is clearly using that to differentiate between the two classes.

That is also acceptable but then a pet literally has to be GREAT and worth using two slots for. And that means a solid buff across the board.

Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clannfear is great for soloing harder content. It's an excellent tank and holds aggro fairly well. It could use some more HP but besides that I think it's very strong as a tank pet for solo play.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options