The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Race change feels like a money grab/stab.

jerrodbuffington
jerrodbuffington
✭✭✭
The race change/balance is not bad thing. I like it.

But there are those of us who want the highest dps and the most efficient support. Even tho the races will be close together in terms of efficiency there will still be a best. I chose my characters races based on their passives, and now you guys change that. In order to have the best race for the job we want to do we will be changing multiple races.

I've heard several people say that this is a ploy to force us to buy crowns in order to keep the best race. I dont think this is true, but I do believe your attempt to balance is causing major change in the game. And changing builds around every quarter is getting old.

I think you(zos) should give us a week or 2 of free race change. All of my characters(10) are 1 of 3 races. I dont want to spend 60 dollars to change all of them or even diversify them. These major changes should allow us a grace period to make the adjustments we need without us having to spend that kind of money.

If this isnt just a way to boost revenue then give us free race changes to adapt to the game.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is already a long thread on this topic that you can use, @jerrodbuffington ... located here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/453744/love-the-race-change-scam-zos-is-pulling
    Options
  • jerrodbuffington
    jerrodbuffington
    ✭✭✭

My bad. I looked.. but not hard enough
    Options
  • jerrodbuffington
    jerrodbuffington
    ✭✭✭
    The other one is closed. I truly hope this one doesnt turn ugly. Please u derstand my post was not zos bashing in nature. Please anyone who wants to post keep it constructive tive.
    Options
  • labambao
    labambao
    ✭✭✭✭
    Easy pocket money. Just donate a 200€ more for nothing
    Options
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to MMOing.
    Options
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    Console pleb here but from what i have been reading and watching it seems to be very very small differences. Also i think they are doing the whole race change to refresh the game a little. Stam has always been redguard for bis, mag high elf or dark elf. Now you can almost play whatever and still have competitive dps.
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny, doesn't feel like that to me.
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Funny, doesn't feel like that to me.

What are you trying to say, exactly, walrus?

Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The race change/balance is not bad thing. I like it.

But there are those of us who want the highest dps and the most efficient support. Even tho the races will be close together in terms of efficiency there will still be a best. I chose my characters races based on their passives, and now you guys change that. In order to have the best race for the job we want to do we will be changing multiple races.

I've heard several people say that this is a ploy to force us to buy crowns in order to keep the best race. I dont think this is true, but I do believe your attempt to balance is causing major change in the game. And changing builds around every quarter is getting old.

I think you(zos) should give us a week or 2 of free race change. All of my characters(10) are 1 of 3 races. I dont want to spend 60 dollars to change all of them or even diversify them. These major changes should allow us a grace period to make the adjustments we need without us having to spend that kind of money.

If this isnt just a way to boost revenue then give us free race changes to adapt to the game.

I get what you're saying but, personally, I don't think a week, or two, of anything would be a good idea.

Imagine you're a returning player, after that 2 week period - you're going to be pretty miffed that you can't change race, anymore, even if you want to.

Not to mention the stress of forcing everyone to race change all their chars, within a short space of time.

Now, or never, kind of thing...

People get quite attached to their chars and may feel quite pressured if they they effectively have to destroy and replace them all, within a 2 week period.

Therefore, if it was implemented, I think it it would have to be made permanently available, for all existing chars made before the announcement of these changes.
    Edited by Tigerseye on January 27, 2019 10:54AM
    Options
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please stop such lame threads,

MMORPG get changes over time, race does not make huge difference so if you do not want to change race its Fine.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race change isa buff it you don't care/stat swap anyway.

It's a Nerf if you spend $400 dollars race changing all your toons to Argonian/red guards/orcs/dark elf in PvP/pve every patch lol
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    A shameless money grab. It’s the only thing about builds we can’t change without paying IRL currency. They Should give us 1 race change for every character if they are only changing it for the sake of balance.
    PCNA

Options
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if thats the case, then they would buff the imperials and nuke redguards with altmers.

just nerfing magdks and messing the flavor of wood elves wont make them that much of a money.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am not thrilled by the change, most players will not see much difference between what they have and what it will become within the specter of the entire change.

Granted, it is something to complain about regardless.

del9 wrote: »
    A shameless money grab. It’s the only thing about builds we can’t change without paying IRL currency. They Should give us 1 race change for every character if they are only changing it for the sake of balance.

Considering Zos probably considered a range of options before they settled on giving us one change per account one might think a more solid reasoning is needed to convince Zos to rethink this.
    Options
  • jerrodbuffington
    jerrodbuffington
    ✭✭✭
    For those who say that everything is gonna be close in terms of dps. I get that. But we all play how we want, and some want the absolute best dps, or best healer, or tank.. although healers and tank are subjective the dps subject isnt. There will be a class with the highest dps. Even if its highest by only 1 percent. I chose the races I have because of this criteria. And would like the chance to make another choice without spending 3k crowns per character.

Maybe free changes for a week isnt a good way to resolve it, but something should be done to show this wasnt a ploy to make us spend crowns.

And releveling characters isnt an option. All the mages guild runs, the psijic quests, assault, support, fighters guild, etc just isnt gonna happen with me.

Options
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although racials don't make a big difference, everyone have the right to follow meta if they are willing to do it, without sacrificing their race preference.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
    Options
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait, someone told me in another thread that we would get free racechange tokens, this isn't true ?
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
    Options
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aznox wrote: »
    wait, someone told me in another thread that we would get free racechange tokens, this isn't true ?

1 token for race change will be given free and it seems a fair deal.

ZOS is not deleting any race and ESO is not getting doomed.

MMORPG changes over time and its not just limited to ESO take any other MMORPG so we should no complain ZOS for this
    Options
  • jerrodbuffington
    jerrodbuffington
    ✭✭✭
    When they change skills and morphs they allow free skill or morphs changes..

This is a similar scenario imo.
    Options
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree.

While there are some people who make racial choices based on RP or personal preference, many people make racial choices based on their passives and potential in their role. Personally, I was a mix of both, leaning towards the latter. As a result, I have six Imperial Stamina DPS toons. They were never the best, but they were always good (usually ~3rd place) and after this change they are dropping to dead last for Stamina DPS by an approximately 2k margin. I am hopeful (though steadily losing said hope) that ZOS will realize how insane it is to completely nerf the single paid, any alliance race out of true DPS contention but if that doesn’t happen, they expect me to spend 3,000 Crowns PER character to race change? What if I wanted to change my other 7 characters? What about the fact that they all have Imperial names, because they’re supposed to be half-Imperial, half-Breton brothers. Will I get any compensation for changing their names? For the one free race change, will they get a name change?

In other words, that’s potentially 12 Race + Name Change tokens (12 * 3,500 Crowns = 42,000 Crowns) and one Name Change Token for the free race change (2,500 Crowns). So if I wanted to change my characters, in light of ZOS completely overhauling their races, and maintain any semblance of IC consistency with their names when I did so, it’d be 44,500 Crowns. I play on Xbox NA, and the 21,000 Crown package is $149.99. I’d need two of those, and still be 2,500 Crowns short. The 3,000 Crowns pack is $24.99. So I’d need 44,500 Crowns, purchase $45,000 Crowns and it’d cost me $324.97 + tax. That’s with 13 characters; people who bought slots to all 15 would have an additional 7,000 Crowns needed. That is absolute insanity.

Recap on Crowns:
    - 1 free race change
    - 3,500 Crowns per race + name change
    - 2,500 Crowns per name change

Recap on Needs:
    - 12 toons * 3,500 Crowns = 42,000 Crowns
    - 1 toon * 2,500 Crowns = 2,500 Crowns
    - 42,000 + 2,500 = 44,500 Crowns

Recap on Price:
    - $149.99 per 21,000 Crown bundle
    - $24.99 per 3,000 Crown bundle
    - 21,000 + 21,000 + 3,000 = 45,000 Crowns

45,000 Crowns needed = $324.97 + tax
    Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay
    Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
    - Jane McGonigal
    Options
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because it is, no?
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
    Options
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    45,000 Crowns needed = $324.97 + tax

^ there is clearly an edge case where players combining :
    - min-maxing mindset
    - roleplay naming
    - 4+ active characters

makes it a totally unacceptable change if only one free token is provided.

I'm not in this situation, but i hope ZoS support will be comprehensive on a case-by-case basis.
    Edited by Aznox on January 29, 2019 9:39AM
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
    Options
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

MMORPG get changes over time, race does not make huge difference so if you do not want to change race its Fine.

this is false. race in several games ESPECIALLY ESO has been a huge impact, hell in most cases if your magicka [insert class] wasn't Altmer you practically lost 15% DPS, most high end people wont even sniff you let alone take you if you aren't part of that class+race combo.

its only since this update thats going to be much smaller impacted. it'll still be there but much lesser extent than its been in a very long time.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

Options
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well they got to change it where it fits for everyone fitting either magicka or stamina roles. The race change token mostly because some of the races no one uses like nord or Breton. Players will play those races on a few classes. Some liked those races but they can’t cause it’s not “meta” enough. Well all the races are in line even if this race is better with stam but you can still use some of the passives to be a magicka variant like orc for example.
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
    Options
  • jerrodbuffington
    jerrodbuffington
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think it's a "must" for them to make every race capable for every role. Some races are better healers, some better at magic etc.. either way that is irrelevant. I want to chose the best race for what it is that character does. And now several of my characters will not be the best.

They will still be good.. no doubt.. but they will be diff.

And even from a role play stand point.. now that I have freedom from having to follow meta race, I have 3 races among more than 10 characters. If all the races are good then let me change them all.
    Options
  • Zedrian
    Zedrian
    ✭✭✭

Take these conditions into considerations:
    - You are not a PC player but a console player and does not have access to the PTS. As a result you cannot test the races
    - You are someone who plays difficult end game content (without mods) and wants to min-max to the fullest
    - You have invested hundreds to thousands of hours in characters also thinking of the specific advantages each race provides (example: Dunmer provides fire buffs, breton cost reduction, high elf multi-elemental, orc movement speeds, etc....)

The patch is released, and you only have one token to try the new race change across all your characters!
    I have an Argonian tank and I would like to try the Nord and Imperial changes, but I cant.
    I have a Dunmer Magicka Nightblade and I want to try Breton sustain or High Elf and Khajit raw damage, but I can't.
    I have a Redguard Stam Sorcerer and I want to try the sustain using Orc or Dunmer, but I can't.

Now i think you get the point that the console players don't have much choice in trying out the race changes and are forced to paying absurd amount of money if they have many characters. Talking with friends, they are now willing to create a new character altogether with the new race instead of paying for the Race change token.

Edit: We don't have Metrics on console, so our actual tests is by running the class/race in trials to see against real content to find out if you are comfortable with the changes.
    Edited by Zedrian on January 30, 2019 7:58AM
    Options
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
    Options