Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

To The Creator of LootDrop

Vikova
Vikova
✭✭✭✭✭
Why did you pull it from all of the addon hosting sites? It was a great addon that worked smoothly.
  • Ariane
    Ariane
    ✭✭✭
    She explained the reason here: http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/22ewdz/which_addons_do_you_have_installed/cgmcv03

I admit I've never seen any bad comment about her add-ons, so I really don't understand it :-/
    "I am not an Argonian. I am a crocodile"
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a bummer. It's the only addon I use and really like it, but now it will likely get out of date really fast and eventually break.
  • fatalslink
    fatalslink
    ✭✭
    yeah...I loved lootdrop, its the only thing that made my OCD looting feel somewhat normal
  • brada
    brada
    I'm using it too, as a matter in fact, the only addon I use. I would't worry too much, If she won't, someone else will make it again. I guess that's the way it goes but I'm very grateful for what she did!
    Beers for the creator
    Edited by brada on April 7, 2014 6:37PM
  • Tuinslang
    Tuinslang
    I think he / she has personal problems. Since you always get haters for things you make, just believe in the lovers, and ignore the haters.

She / He did a great job, and I hope she / he reads this, learns from it, and know he / she it doing a great job.
    Currently playing Redguard Dragonknight | Skill line: Dragonic Power | Crafting skill: Blacksmithing
  • Oogaci
    Oogaci
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, I liked this one.

I ended up deleting it and switching to 'Wykkyd's Framework" because it shows all loot in my chat window which is what I am used to anyway.

Plus it has a bonus toolbar that is small and shows my gold, AP, XP bar and a few other useful things on the screen without opening up the character sheet. And it is customizable to cut out all the unnecessary extra stuff.
  • Cairenn
    Cairenn
    ✭✭✭
    It (LootDrop) is being continued here.
    Cairenn
    Co-founder & Administrator
    ESOUI
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cairenn wrote: »

Much appreciated. I want to keep my UI as minimalist as possible, so I've been avoiding the framework-style ones.
  • Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    Dito @Cairenn‌ and your efforts are much appreciated. <3

I´m also very much on the Devs side when it comes to the minimalism. Pretty much all UI "improvements" I´ve seen so far are everything but to me.

Almost addicted to Lootdrop though and can´t imagine auto-looting without it.
    Hope some brave soul continues it in the future. B)
    “I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    Cairenn wrote: »

Great news, thanks so much.

Also, to Pawkette, really sorry you had a bad experience. Yours is the only mod I have used that has worked flawlessly. Great Job.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the mod, certainly appreciate the effort and time she took to create it.
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    @Tuinslang the main reason is that, like everyone else playing this game, I'm here as an escape from work, reality, friends, etc. I wanted to create things, because I enjoy creating things. I enjoy programming, I enjoy UI. I also thought people might enjoy the things I create. I did not expect that to come with the weight of dealing with people being rude. It's obvious now to me how foolish that was to ignore, but I hadn't considered it. If you used my work, I'm sure you noticed that I have no problem fixing bugs, I pride myself on reacting quickly to bugs. Reporting problems was never an issue, constant requests for things I'd explicitly said I wouldn't do were. Somewhere along the line people got it in their head that their criticism and feature requests were valuable given their use of my work.

@Ariane here's an example of a comment that I deleted.

W8R1QlO.png
    I love Lua
    Mac: Pawkette< Templar, DC >
    PS4: Pawkette< Templar, AD >
  • Cairenn
    Cairenn
    ✭✭✭
    And I wish to heck I'd been made more aware of those. We don't tolerate that type of behaviour on our sites. *growls*
    Cairenn
    Co-founder & Administrator
    ESOUI
  • Tuinslang
    Tuinslang
    Pawkette wrote: »
    @Tuinslang the main reason is that, like everyone else playing this game, I'm here as an escape from work, reality, friends, etc. I wanted to create things, because I enjoy creating things. I enjoy programming, I enjoy UI. I also thought people might enjoy the things I create. I did not expect that to come with the weight of dealing with people being rude. It's obvious now to me how foolish that was to ignore, but I hadn't considered it. If you used my work, I'm sure you noticed that I have no problem fixing bugs, I pride myself on reacting quickly to bugs. Reporting problems was never an issue, constant requests for things I'd explicitly said I wouldn't do were. Somewhere along the line people got it in their head that their criticism and feature requests were valuable given their use of my work.

You are doing a great job believe me. There is lot's of people that do appreciate your work. I am a front-end developer myself so I know how much work it costs. Also there will always be haters in things you are good at. You are good at what you do, the better you get, the more haters you get. But don't stop!

And yes I also use LootDrop, since I am using auto-loot :)

Currently playing Redguard Dragonknight | Skill line: Dragonic Power | Crafting skill: Blacksmithing
  • Pumpkin
    Pumpkin
    LootDrop is the best loot addon there is for ESO if you use auto loot. It's simple, basic and fits perfectly into the ESO interface scheme (maybe not the xp icon, but I'm not here to mock) ;-)

Sad that such stupid comments discourage you to do what you love.
  • Ariane
    Ariane
    ✭✭✭
    @Pawkette, seriously, you shouldn't give up just for a bad (or bad ones) comment. Do you really think the bad ones overcome the good ones? Don't you feel all these people support? :)

If someone bothers you, ignore them. I used to get very sad or dissapointed with things like that, but now, at my age, I just ignore people and enjoy the support of the ones who deserve my happiness :blush:
    "I am not an Argonian. I am a crocodile"
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    Ariane wrote: »
    @Pawkette, seriously, you shouldn't give up just for a bad (or bad ones) comment. Do you really think the bad ones overcome the good ones? Don't you feel all these people support? :)

If someone bothers you, ignore them. I used to get very sad or dissapointed with things like that, but now, at my age, I just ignore people and enjoy the support of the ones who deserve my happiness :blush:

I can only support this notion. Absolutely correct.

Pawkette, come back to esoui.com, deactivate the comment section and everyone will be happy.
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly doesn't help to be dismissive. That was certainly not the only comment of that nature.
    I love Lua
  • Wykkyd
    Wykkyd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yshaar deactivating comments just leads to the same negativity coming at you in game, on forums, on your guild website, over email.

@Pawkette I feel for ya. 75%+ of the people who report addon errors to me simply need to update and they're fixed. A good half of those are people running copies that are over a week old and several revisions ago.

I have also gotten some hate thrown my way. Mostly people that don't get what your addon is really doing, or what your vision was, or the fact that you don't have unlimited time to devote to solely them. It comes with the territory.

Thankfully most of the feedback I've received has been positive. And I try not to get into tiffs with anyone who posts negativity or comes across aggressive for no apparent reason. This, at times, takes every ounce of my patience... and I'm not a patient person.

One thing to keep in mind is that the users of your addon do, in fact, tend to feel a sense of ownership over their gaming experience and gamers, by nature, tend to be hot headed. Mess with their game experience and they get feisty and it's not uncommon for them to bite the hand that feeds them. This, too, comes with the territory.

I'm a "habitual" programmer, and am used to doing everything myself. I write probably more code than I need to. It usually is structured so that only I can understand it (not because I mean to, but simply because I'm 100% self taught and overworked). And even you have disagreed with my approach, and publicly so.

People are different. Programming in your spare time for free and creating what amounts to "scripted art", presenting that to the world and getting the swarm of "it's not enough" responses as your primary source of feedback is only rewarding to a certain type of individual. And if that's not you, I completely understand.

However... you had the 2nd highest download rate on Curse when you pulled your addons. You were very popular. And out of tens of thousands of users, you attracted some bad apples who happened to be quite vocal. I'd say all in all, you won. You did great. Who cares what a few small nay-sayers post. Seriously.

Get back on the horse. Ignore the chaff and dig through for the good responses.
  • psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    @Pawkette‌ just what @Wykkyd‌ said. I love your add0on and am sorry to see that the community at large... well... acted like itself.

Whether you do or don't get back on the horse (I certainly hope you do), just know that you did a damn good job :3
  • Caelo
    Caelo
    ✭✭✭
    What a sad, sad story, @Pawkette :(
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Ariane wrote: »
    She explained the reason here: http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/22ewdz/which_addons_do_you_have_installed/cgmcv03

I admit I've never seen any bad comment about her add-ons, so I really don't understand it :-/

I think it's the same syndrome the Flappy Bird dev came down with.

• Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    Quite frankly, she did the right thing.
    Obviously she can´t or is simply unwilling to deal with the internet on a more personal level. Which is fine.

So this topic is now done, question is who has the ability to continue?

As one thing is for sure, ZMax surely is far from done messing with the API and they also surely won´t add such a highly needed and useful option to autoloot. :|
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on April 9, 2014 7:59PM
    “I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rotherhans wrote: »
    Quite frankly, she did the right thing.
    Obviously she can´t or is simply unwilling to deal with the internet on a more personal level. Which is fine.

So this topic is now done, question is who has the ability to continue?

As one thing is for sure, ZMax surely is far from done messing with the API and they also surely won´t add such a highly needed and useful option to autoloot. :|

She has allowed someone else to continue it. So we will have continued updates for it. Yay.
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on April 9, 2014 7:59PM
  • Fingolf
    Fingolf
    Soul Shriven
    @Pawkette
    Thank you so much for doing this AddOn. It's my favorite one and I recommended it to a lot of friends.

Don't care too much about trolls/whiners as they will always be there, especially on the internet.

However, please keep in mind that you made a lot of people very happy with your talented work!
  • BlackTinuviel
    I am sure someone will pick up maintenance on the addons, and eventually addons will be released that have more functionality and/or look better (It happened a lot with WoW, I don't see how it won't for ESO). I was thinking about offering to maintain it, but I have addon ideas of my own I am working on and I'm not sure I would have enough time to maintain those as well.

I wrote a long response on this that is similar to @Wykkyd on the other post about this: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/72379/pawkette#latest
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, I'm still maintaining and updating my work. I'm just not distributing it. All of my work is released under MIT and thus can be forked, distributed, and managed by anyone who wants to so long as it retains my original copyright.

baDsqBX.png
    Edited by Pawkette on April 9, 2014 5:45PM
    I love Lua
  • BlackTinuviel
    Sorry about that, no offense implied. I meant public maintenance.
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    @Sinist‌ nah, I just mostly wanna be able to make stuff for myself without people constantly hounding me for even the smallest change. OH MY GOD YOU CHANGED A TEXTURE, BRB WORLD OVER.

Why can't you just make it do this thing I want?!?!? It's not even that hard, I know because I thought about it :dizzy_face:
    I love Lua
  • Sinist
    Sinist
    Pawkette wrote: »
    @Sinist‌ nah, I just mostly wanna be able to make stuff for myself without people constantly hounding me for even the smallest change. OH MY GOD YOU CHANGED A TEXTURE, BRB WORLD OVER.

Why can't you just make it do this thing I want?!?!? It's not even that hard, I know because I thought about it :dizzy_face:

Sure I understand but for every bad idea there may be a good idea floating in there as well.

I give bad ideas on ESOUI all the time, just like I give good ideas.

Nothing stopping you from ignoring people that can't handle you not liking their idea. If they trash talk your add on because you didn't implement what they wanted when they wanted, then you tell them to politely go make their own add on,

Making add on's for the community might even involve some compromise about adding "customization" options that you may not personally like, but others may find useful. If you aren't willing to do that then there is a good chance someone else will eventually and then your add on will be obsolete. So the best advice I can give is "make what you want to use" and then if you can make features that you may not necessarily use but you think a bunch of other people will, go for that.

It's better to be the one telling other's to go cry in a corner then to actually be the one crying in a corner (so to speak).

I think you can have the best of both world's. Making yourself happy by making what you want, and making the community <3 you by maybe eventually updating your add on with something that maybe everyone wants but you dont necessarily have a use for. It's a rewarding feeling making other;s happy. You might enjoy it.

Edited by Sinist on April 9, 2014 6:47PM