The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Suggestion For CP, Since ZOS Is Reevaluating It

Valrien
Valrien
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I would personally just get rid of it and bring the level cap back down to 50, and make all 50+ gear level 50 as well.

CP is just a massive beast that is nearly impossible to tame and I think that if you just went back to balancing the raw values of stats and classes within the rest of the game then things would end up being much healthier.

Of course, you could also compensate players somehow since people will be very upset that their CP are suddenly meaningless
Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just imagine the ammount of content adjustments ZOS would have to make, when they remove the CP's....vCR +3 will in a sudden become impossible, if it isnt tuned town to the lvl we would have.

They drove the CP system over the bridge, and now the bridge its collapsing behind them (what we already told them pre morrowind, but they didnt listen), going back is nearly impossible, and if it is, the ammount of work is enormous.

Im not saying the CP system is perfect, but just removing it is a nearly impossible task Content and Balance wise.
    Just imagine all the skills which where nerfed since it was lauchend, because they were becomin op....buff useless in an instant :joy:

sets like NMG or SF would have to be reverted, since we'd loose a crapload of Pen, we had with CP
    Edited by SaintSubwayy on January 23, 2019 2:09PM
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Number crunch it. instead of 810 - 300 becomes what 810 was.

Each point then in turn becomes way more meaningful.
    Edited by karekiz on January 23, 2019 3:43PM
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just leave it...

OR

Re-tune the whole game(Different system). I do not want a cut down version of the same thing. I grinded for my over 1100CP and I am not going to be happy with ZOS coming along and saying well you only have 300 now. I don't care if it is a 3 to 1 ratio.

ZOS could turn the CP system into a passive skill tree system with flat values or cool additional things that added to your active skills. This would be a fun alternative.

I think not adding to the point system this time around is a good idea.

XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZoS made CP caps long ago and the benefits they gave were not so big (CP 200 or 300 for example) . Now that we are reaching CP 1000, ZoS has decided to make massive nerfs to skills, passives and racials, so actually there have been no real progression, just the illusion of it.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    just imagine the ammount of content adjustments ZOS would have to make, when they remove the CP's....vCR +3 will in a sudden become impossible, if it isnt tuned town to the lvl we would have.

They drove the CP system over the bridge, and now the bridge its collapsing behind them (what we already told them pre morrowind, but they didnt listen), going back is nearly impossible, and if it is, the ammount of work is enormous.

Im not saying the CP system is perfect, but just removing it is a nearly impossible task Content and Balance wise.
    Just imagine all the skills which where nerfed since it was lauchend, because they were becomin op....buff useless in an instant :joy:

sets like NMG or SF would have to be reverted, since we'd loose a crapload of Pen, we had with CP

They've already remade the game multiple times. I doubt ZOS would care about one more time as long as it makes them money (and it would make them money as a lot of people stopped playing after 1.6 dropped)
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I posted this in another thread on the general forums, but feel it should be here also for consideration.

The issue is not the CP in this game. It never has been. The issue has been the fact that ZOS removed the CAPS on all our stats in this game (except resistances), and they need to bring those back.

There are 5 different Tiers of players in this game.

*Tier 1: New, Casual RP only players who don't really care about getting Vet Dungeons or Trials done, or don't have enough experience with the game yet. Can't breach 10k DPS self buffed.

*Tier 2: Your Average Player. Can do most Vet Dungeons and Normal Trials. May have limited ability to do Vet Trials, but Not Vet Hard Mode. Typically can't breach 20k DPS self buffed.

*Tier3: Middle Tier Players. Can do Vet HM Dungeons, Normal content is far too easy. Most Vet Trials are doable, but not all Hard Modes. Unable to take advantage of Animation Cancelling for various reasons. Tech, Lag, Disability. Typically can't reach 30k DPS self buffed.
    Most of these players get set back to Tier 2 with each major nerf to resources, skills, playstyle and have to struggle to climb back up, but eventually do with the help of CP.

*Tier 4: Upper Middle Tier Players. Same as Tier 3, BUT can more reliably Animation Cancel. Can reach 35-45k self buffed. They also get their DPS reduced, but are more readily able to adjust for this disadvantage.

*Tier 5: Elite End Game: Can achieve over 45k dps self buffed very easily; some achieving upwards to 70k parses and blows through Vet Trials Hard Mode content, bypassing mechanics. Often the cause of resource nerfs across the board by ZOS.

Over the last 2 years, a lot of the resource nerfs and other nerfs have been a combination of trying to (Unsuccessfully) bring the DPS ceiling down because of the 50-70k dps numbers, and trying to balance PVP. They nerfed resources due to Tier 5 stack and burn in Hard Mode trials.

The problem though, without CAPs having been added to CP... ZOS is unable to lower that ceiling without gutting out the Tier 3 players. The Tier 4 players don't feel it as bad, since their dps won't drop as much as they can effectively make up that difference with animation cancelling, but they still get nerfed too.

Bringing CAPs on Stats back into this game will:

- This will open up build diversity. It will reduce the necessity for 2 or 3 sets of BiS gear per character roll, instead opening it up to using armour that supports your playstyle, and not just what Alcast tells you, you need to wear.

- It will allow Hybrid Builds to be viable once again and allow players to once again play how they want.

- With the new Racial Passives being announced, bringing in caps will help to mitigate any racials, allowing those players who want to play a Khajit mage to do so effectively.

Then I feel they need to put an actual CAP on MAX achievable DPS. A 45k cap at this point in time I feel would be good to get a feel for how things would play out and determine if this;

- Effectively "Lowers the Ceiling" without gutting out the Middle Tiers 2-4 players in this game.

- This would be the one thing that makes up for Animation Cancelling. A BUG that ZOS has outright admitted they are unable to fix, and therefore have stated it's not a cheat and so an allowable mechanic, despite the majority of players being unable to reliably take advantage of that mechanic. (Not to be confused with attack weaving).
    - This prevents the power creep from getting too high. It gives other players, from Tier 1 to Tier 4 a goal to achieve DPS wise and allows them to make decisons within the CP tree to help them achieve that, based on their play style.
    - This will force Tier 5 players to continuously play within the designed mechanics of a Trials Dungeon without so easily bypassing them.
    - This number can be increased in the future if ZOS decides to release harder content.
    - It will continue to allow a small points of vertical progression (power creep) without being overwhelming, and with an end point to that power, which will only be achievable by a very small percentage of the game as it stands now.
    - It will open up more end game content to more players over time as they progress, especially those being held back due to continued nerfs, lag, disability and being unable to animation cancel.

Then, I feel to make up for the DPS cap, ZOS could add in a 4th CP Tree which players can dump points in too. This tree would have perks for Quality of Life things only. Example:
    - Top Perk would maybe be an extra drops in Trials and Dungeons, or even an Extra 10k sellable item, or better drops from making Leaderboard in Trials.
    - More Bank Space
    - Increase the number of Collectables you can put in your Home.
    - Increased Inventory space
    - Increase chance of finding paintings in chests in DLC content.

These perks would also be available to all other players, but depending on what you do as a player, you would be making a choice between your character's power progression or your quality of life items.

I have to wonder how many of the cries for nerfs on the forums were the result of Tier 2 or 3 players going up against Tier 4 or 5 players in PVP, where skill and attack weaving can make a huge difference where if done right everything hits you at once.

Many realize combat in this game is a Math game. But the problem is, ZOS is nerfing due to the potential achieved from that Math, which only the Tier 5 Players can readily take advantage of, while everyone else in this game struggles to achieve it. That's not how this game should be balanced. It should be balanced around the Upper Tier 3 and Lower Tier 4 players. Those who work their asses off to continually achieve those numbers after every nerf.

Seriously, ZOS needs to take a hard look at the DPS numbers from those Parsing on skeletons and being pulled in ALL Trials runs and look closely to see what the lower and middle ground players are running and what is making up that gap.

In PVP, they should be able to make it so that only 50% of your CP will work in PVP on top of the other caps they already have. Therefore, making players closer in ablity without completely removing the CP away.

In closing... CP is not the issue and never really has been. The lack of Caps has been the main issue. ZOS needs to stop nerfing the majority of players to try to bring the Elite end game players into line. It's not working. It never has because there has always been a way to bypass what ZOS has done. Putting caps on stats and on DPS effectively cuts of that bypass without hurting the progress of the majority of players.

Edited by Nebthet78 on January 23, 2019 4:43PM
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cap on DPS is probably the best thing ZOS could do to the game for Balance, if that is their goal. Then they can for the most part leave sets and skills alone. Also, it is the only way to efficiently add new classes, which is the progression I really want to see.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    A cap on DPS is probably the best thing ZOS could do to the game for Balance, if that is their goal. Then they can for the most part leave sets and skills alone. Also, it is the only way to efficiently add new classes, which is the progression I really want to see.

The progression I want to see is more morph branches. So you level up your morphed skill to rank 4 and get to morph it again at rank "5." That way if they're at least going to have a stamina morph and a magicka morph it won't eliminate options entirely.

I also don't see of a way a DPS cap would work as it just defeats the purpose of progression entirely...and progression is already meaningless enough in ESO
    Edited by Valrien on January 23, 2019 4:51PM
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »
    I would personally just get rid of it and bring the level cap back down to 50, and make all 50+ gear level 50 as well.

CP is just a massive beast that is nearly impossible to tame and I think that if you just went back to balancing the raw values of stats and classes within the rest of the game then things would end up being much healthier.

Of course, you could also compensate players somehow since people will be very upset that their CP are suddenly meaningless

I would agree with the OP about re-scaling gear back down to level 50 by removing the champion point ranked gear levels. This allows everyone, new and old, to enjoy end-game gear without the necessity of earning champion points. This would imply more new players may participate in dungeon gear runs for set items, trials, and zone runs to find equipment to meet their character build needs. This proposal may not be received well; but it's overdue.

One problem with the current CP model, as the OP states "is nearly impossible to tame," comes with the hidden benefits that are not denoted in the Champion Point trees i.e. +%resource pool just for spending champion points. Remove those hidden additives, and allow the Champion Point system to be strictly WYSIWYG ("What You See, Is What You Get") and ZOS could re approach the valuation of the champion point system, per point invested in the tree, objectively; and as necessary to provide veteran players the "sense of power" without champion point benefits breaking the overall game-play balance.

For example, I can take my current StamSorc with his entire 13k health, and clear all non-DLC dungeons, including all boss fights without dying once. Alternatively, I have cleared dungeons just to let other players finish daily Pledges quickly for their Undaunted Keys. This is the current power bestowed under the current Champion Point system and the buff-age Sorcerers received over the years (I could do this with other characters I've built, so it's not exclusive to Sorcerers). I have killed World Bosses on a level 15 MagBlade with Training gear. This is not uncommon with other veteran players to perform similar feats or run allowable trials with a handful of people.

ZOS does need to reevaluate what they want to achieve with champion points. The worst mistake in any MMORPG would be to turn past, present, and future game content ill relevant because you can walk through it, like swatting flies. As a veteran player, this would spoil the cerebral game challenge many, like me, enjoy about ESO.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just in general id like to see stuff changed so that the cap for damage is a lot lower (like 30 - 40k) without massively effecting the lower damage builds that already exist.

There are some really fun builds out there that pull maybe 30-35k dps and so kinda just get thrown in the ditch for PVE

I also think removal of levels in general would be nice as the only real game exists past gear cap where you start to make your build.

I think the real question is do we NEED a system that scales so much? Is there anything wrong with maybe piling more interesting progression into 0-50 and cutting all progression past that (Besides leveling skill trees)
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are going to re-work it, I hope they make a more interesting system.

CP system isnt bad, but its also not super fun or interesting. Not to mention id just like a change, keeps things feeling fresh.
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like they will just do the same to CP that they did with Racial passives
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Epicasballs
    Epicasballs
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see class specific cp. You choose the morphs of your skills then use cp to further tweak those skills to fit your play style. Also have some cp to increase or modify your classes passive bonuses. Adding additional effects and powering up the skills/passives you use would be a cool way to personalize your character and play style.
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think maybe soft capping some things and grouping together of some cp perks while adding in some non combat perks would just be crazy enough to work.
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • The_Yellow_King
    Whatever they do they cannot make it as bad as going from vet 16 to CP160. CP 160 takes like an hour to get to once you hit 50, vet 16 took months
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo they can keep the CP system as a general idea
    However reduce the trees from 9 down to 3 class specific trees
    This way they can buff certain CPs for a certain class ...like stronger possible thaumaturge tooltip for a dk, but lower master at arm.....and on stuff like a NB they can make master at arms stronger but thaumaturge weaker

Ofc just an example, numbers would have to bee calculated

With this every class either as magicka or as stamina could be brought on the same lvl
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'd be funny if they just flat removed it, see how hard some content becomes.

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The level cap was never 50. It was VR10 at launch, so they would be bringing it "back" down.

I would just like to see the non-combat passives earlier in the tree. Put them all at 30 points in a tree. They are the main reason why I want the cap to keep going up.

I never had an issue with vet ranks and I have no issue with CP. Seems counterproductive to get rid of CP globally when they can just remove them from all PvP.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they'll take their time on this reevaluation. Can you blame them? Whatever they do will probably cause mutiny unfortunately. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best... all I know is with 1000+CP that's just laying around even longer than usual I/we better see something out of it, JS...
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But I have over 1200 points I want to place one day... :smile:

They could just simplify it and make it buff general character stats directly which would make it easier to control power creep and balance how powerful they want us to be for a given patch.

1 point = X Max Magicka, Spell Damage, Spell Crit, Spell Penetration, or Spell Resistance etc in Blue Tree, and Stamina equivalent in green tree, and in the red tree have Max Health, Shield Increase, Healing Increase, Crit Resistance etc. This would also to some degree make it easier to spec from magicka to stamina if desired.

By putting relevant defense/resistance stats in the green and blue tree players would have to trade damage for being more tanky and couldn't just stack both.

What would also be fun IMO is if you could have a way to morph your damage with CP and make all of your magic damage fire, shock, or frost; or physical damage into poison, disease, or bleed. So if you wanted to make a character do one type of damage (e.g. poison knight or frost mage) it would actually be possible with any class.

My biggest problem with CP the way it is right now is they way the damage modifiers stack, so the more you get the higher you can stack your modifiers which increase damage and resistance to OP levels which gives us powerful tanks that do high levels of damage in PvP.

Obviously there would be some various points and details that have to be thought out, but I think something like this could work conceptually.
    Playing since beta...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

The progression I want to see is more morph branches. So you level up your morphed skill to rank 4 and get to morph it again at rank "5." That way if they're at least going to have a stamina morph and a magicka morph it won't eliminate options entirely.

I also don't see of a way a DPS cap would work as it just defeats the purpose of progression entirely...and progression is already meaningless enough in ESO

It depends on the cap and how it is implimented. Back when we had caps in this game, there were more playstyles that people could do and be competitive. Now, it's all DPS all the time, and that is not a model for progression
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    That resource bonus curve that peaks at 300 CP (100 per tree)...

If that curve kept on going (down after 100, reaching 0% at max CP), that'd turn the forward progression of high CP into a sideways progression. People will need to factor that into their optimization, whether they want to spend 100% of their points.

Maybe it could be paired with a small non-combat bonus for unspent points, like additional XP or better loot quality.
  • iam117
    iam117
    ✭✭✭
    as others have stated, caps is probably the best way to implement. Build diversity, so many useless armor sets and skills. Although CP is far from a massively un-tamable beast.
    Edited by iam117 on January 24, 2019 6:15PM
    <Liv3mind>
    <PC/NA - Legion Of The Bloodworks>
    Snowflake Patrol
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the CP passives its a fun system.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Matthros
    Matthros
    ✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    They could just simplify it and make it buff general character stats directly which would make it easier to control power creep and balance how powerful they want us to be for a given patch.

1 point = X Max Magicka, Spell Damage, Spell Crit, Spell Penetration, or Spell Resistance etc in Blue Tree, and Stamina equivalent in green tree, and in the red tree have Max Health, Shield Increase, Healing Increase, Crit Resistance etc. This would also to some degree make it easier to spec from magicka to stamina if desired.

I agree with this and add the buffs as flat values instead of percentages. Less calculations for the server to deal with.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want some end-game progression myself.

As someone that primarily tanks at end-game I'm already bored that I haven't had to care about any gear but ebon and alkosh for how many years now? So now will be even less change with my characters each patch. yay?

BUT, I do think the power creep and power differences is a bit much with CP as it is.

Personally I'd love to see the flat buffs it gives out taken away and built back into the base character (since they already nerfed base characters to address these additions in the past several years - I do not want to see it just flat removed and a blanket nerf across the game occur where zos does what they too often do and never revisit their old changes that need redone).

And I'd like to see more flavor passives and skills added. Stuff like the wind riding bonus, or harvesting, or treasure hunter. Bonuses like give someone 10% extra regen after rez for 5 seconds. Those types of little bonuses and interesting and do not really change the overall power level of a particular fight in pvp or end game pve, but can be fun and cool for players to earn. They don't create the power difference of earning a huge crit bonus at a given level all the sudden does or stacking up pen or damage to twice what another player could. And it would eliminate the need to have CP/non-CP campaigns in PvP and lower the needed in combat calculations by a ton without having twenty different bonuses to apply to everything anyone casts.

Another thing they could do is have a specific tree in CP or whatever they call it for each specific race. Perhaps once you achieve a certain level it lets you pick up racials that give you more options with a race. Not in addition to your existing ones, but offer a change so the power level stays they same, it just offers variety. For example in the upcoming changes one of the bonuses Argonians get is 1k Magicka, perhaps there would be an option to convert that to 500 mag/stam or 1K stam. So the racial passives still make a difference in the lore of the character and each having a cultural difference in their evolution, but as in all ES achieving higher power levels let's you push the boundries and expand your options.

It would also offer up build diversity players are looking for without just adding to power. I think making them shift the existing power of a racial instead of just adding to it with more is a decent option.
    Edited by xaraan on January 24, 2019 6:18PM
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't change CPs!!!!!!

CPs are a way to have continuous progression without having to constantly raise the level cap like most other MMO games do. I definitely don't want that. All that does is make the gear you just golded out useless.

Does anyone really expect to get a system that nobody will complain about it? Hello, this is the internet. That is what we do.

Stop progression all together? Then what is the point. Level up a character do trials and some pvp then quite. I want to see my character get stronger over time.

Like most people have already said resetting everything at lower numbers just so you can get rid of CPs is just stupid. All that gives you is just lower numbers. Same game just lower numbers.

The majority of the people like playing with CPs. That is why the CP pvp campaigns are the ones that are full. That is how people are able to do Vet Trial hard mode. That is how people are able to do way better at VMA than they use to. ETC.

• Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The easiest solution would be to keep the current system but shrink all of the star pool values to 10%. So Mighty for example would offer a maximum of 10% damage instead of 25%.

Then also reduce the passive resource gains from 20% to 10%.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about something simple as well.

For new players or those that don't read every website out there to make a build.

Clearly mark CP tooltips to show if a particular item in the tree affects Self, other or both.

It would make it easier for the less educated players (myself included) where to put the points they have and not waist them on stuff that will do them no good at all.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any of you have ever played AC Odyssey, theres this enchantment system there where you can collect and use these legendary enchantments. Instead of the cp system you could collect and use something in the lines of that in eso. Just an idea at the top of my head.

PC EU
    PvP only