Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Massive lag spikes and constant high ping.

Yackkeh
Yackkeh
Soul Shriven
I've been playing ESO on PC for a while now (EU), and these last few weeks, i've been getting a lot of ping. I'm getting a constant 100+ ping and it sometimes rises up to 2000, kicking me out of the game. I have called my internet provider and they said that my internet looks fine and has no problems. Why is this?
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try running a program such as Wireshark and leave it running in the background. When you get a high ping and kick, you can see if there is anything that stands out in the test results.
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • Yackkeh
    Yackkeh
    Soul Shriven
    dan958 wrote: »
    You could try running a program such as Wireshark and leave it running in the background. When you get a high ping and kick, you can see if there is anything that stands out in the test results.

I'll try that, thanks man.
  • Yackkeh
    Yackkeh
    Soul Shriven
    dan958 wrote: »

Yeah so I just downloaded it, and I realised I have no idea what im doing lol.
    I don't really know a lot about computers and stuff like that, I couldn't even find where to test the ping.
    Edited by Yackkeh on January 16, 2019 5:10PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yackkeh wrote: »
    I've been playing ESO on PC for a while now (EU), and these last few weeks, i've been getting a lot of ping. I'm getting a constant 100+ ping and it sometimes rises up to 2000, kicking me out of the game. I have called my internet provider and they said that my internet looks fine and has no problems. Why is this?
    That just means it's fine for your internet provider, but not for you. This is purely the amount of time it takes for packets to pass between your machine and ZOS's server, which is mostly out of ZOS's control. Your ISP can test the ping from themselves to you, and from them to ZOS, and add up the results, but I doubt they did. I'd suspect they checked only the first part, which of course is the least likely to be the problem.

• Komputerheld
    Komputerheld
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I watched my ping in the game rising by entering the area of keeps or groups of other players from about 90ms to 200, sometimes up to 400ms. When I left populated areas, the ping decreased nearly immediatly. At least for me, it´s not a problem of the service provider, it´s game performance.
  • Yackkeh
    Yackkeh
    Soul Shriven
    ghastley wrote: »
    Yackkeh wrote: »
    That just means it's fine for your internet provider, but not for you. This is purely the amount of time it takes for packets to pass between your machine and ZOS's server, which is mostly out of ZOS's control. Your ISP can test the ping from themselves to you, and from them to ZOS, and add up the results, but I doubt they did. I'd suspect they checked only the first part, which of course is the least likely to be the problem.

You're probably right, I was googling for solutions yesterday and saw a couple of people say that reinstalling the game worked for them so I'm doing that right now, maybe it'll work :/
  • Yackkeh
    Yackkeh
    Soul Shriven
    An update, reinstalling the game did NOT improve ping.