The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Let Players Choose Starting Story/Tutorial - Elsweyr Edition

Turelus
Turelus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
With another new chapter on the way, it's that time of year again when we beg ZOS to let us choose our starting story/tutorial.

With the Necromancer class coming there will be a lot of players interested in starting the story over with their new characters and dislike the disconnect of starting in a chapter and going back to the old zones to trigger quests.

The big issue with this is if you make a new character then that character is always forced into the new tutorials, you also only have a single chance to play that tutorial (which is normally the minor set-up for the chapters intro) and thus is played out of the stories order.

Example being if you make a Summerset character but want to play the story in order, you can either play or skip the Summerset tutorial, but can't replay that once you've finished Clockwork City as the story move to Summerset as you did it (or skipped it) at character creation.

Also obligatory poll because all good threads need a poll.

Update 04/04/2019
Turelus wrote: »
Choosing Starting Story/Tutorial
I asked in the round table about the option to choose starting story/tutorials, it’s something they hear a lot and are looking into, but confirmed it won’t be an option for Elsweyr.

Edited by Turelus on April 4, 2019 11:26AM
@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
"Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."

Let Players Choose Starting Story/Tutorial - Elsweyr Edition 403 votes

Let players choose their starting story/tutorial - Make changes for this to happen.
93%
NestorCasdhaMagenpieAnthony_Arndtrikimm16_ESODeathStalkermesnaPinesytheyanceyCaligamy_ESOSuddwrathBigBraggOthniel327daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOGadamlub14_ESOGreyleafAnimal_MotherKaizerXundiinRyknos 375 votes
Players always start in the latest story/tutorial - Current system used by ESO.
1%
lihentianRedBull_IRLord_Eomerdracul813todoketeEliteWarriorStormeReignsTigressCreed 8 votes
I have another solution and here are my thoughts.
4%
stimpy986b14_ESOGythralBoloBoffinDraxysKatinasAkrasjelKulvarpod88kkDojohodaSchmetterfroschheaven13eso_nyaShawn_PTEvilAutoTechNairinheCoffee_Time447AuraKoimizuFajinIldunKombinator 20 votes
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let players choose their starting story/tutorial - Make changes for this to happen.
    Players should NEVER start with the tutorial in the latest area. It's such a bad decision from ZOS. If you start with Morrowind/Summerset/Elsweyr tutorial you have NO idea about the game, what's going on, the main storyline with Molag Bal, the faction war... you basically know nothing about 99% of the game you're playing.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought the game should start with the Wailing Prison. Everything else isn’t a good idea for various reasons.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, definitely have the option. Even if the default is the new chapter tutorial, at least have the option for the others.

Being able to do the new tutorials on existing characters would also be a nice way to introduce the new storyline narratively, and also allow players to get those missing skill points they can't get.

It just makes sense.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Being allowed to still play the other tuts would also be nice...

...please?
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • wolf486
    wolf486
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to be able to choose the start, as tbh I miss being able to jump right into the base games start
    PC/NA
    Moved onto BDO and GW2 Skyrim, ATS/ETS2, ACNH and the overall goodness of single player games

RIP to the following:
    (DC) Tharbûrz gro-Glumgrog - Orsimer -Stamden (lvl 50)
    (AD) Vukz - Bosmer - Stamblade (lvl 50)
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side note. They show the latest updates to the new players. I've seen a post of someone who had reached several hundreds CPs before discovering that they could leave summerset (and enjoyed it). New zones are more appealing, so I think that's a nice first impression. But I'm glad I cleared all the content by release order, alliance by alliance. I would be lost as a new player.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m onboard with this. It makes sense.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RichLambert .......
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Players should NEVER start with the tutorial in the latest area. It's such a bad decision from ZOS. If you start with Morrowind/Summerset/Elsweyr tutorial you have NO idea about the game, what's going on, the main storyline with Molag Bal, the faction war... you basically know nothing about 99% of the game you're playing.

^ This. Make everyone start in Coldharbour like proper Vestige. No confusion. No worrying about that skill point.No "wtf, why I can res if I still have my soul"
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually don't understand why they have never offered this. It doesn't strike me as technically difficult to implement.
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting new players off in a new area is such an awful idea. Let players choose where they want to start, and inform them of their choices: that Morrowind takes part at the start of arc 2, and Summerset at the end of arc 2, etc.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Start in Coldharbour. What are now new zone tutorials should be turned into the intro quest to that zone regardless of level and everyone plays them (would need some better elements for at least Summerset one though since it's basic af)
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »

^ This. Make everyone start in Coldharbour like proper Vestige. No confusion. No worrying about that skill point.No "wtf, why I can res if I still have my soul"
    This is something I didn't think about actually. If we chose to start with the original again wouldn't that mean we get no bonus SP.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed with everyone else. Forcing new characters to start in the latest expansion is a bad idea.

The best IMO would be to let everyone choose but my second choice would be for everyone to start in the Wailing Prison. Starting with the latest expansion is a very odd choice which doesn't ever make sense to me, the only reason I can see for doing it is ZOS didn't trust new players to be able to find the latest content or worried they'd think they had to complete the base game/reach level 50 before playing it and thought the best solution was to force everyone through it no matter what.

Even if they do, for whatever reason, think it's important for new players to start in the latest expansion and get the story out of order it would be really nice if they'd add an option for your second, third etc. character alongside the current skip tutorial option (which still dumps you into the latest expansion) to choose your starting point.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This granted most new players will start with the base game anyway.

This becomes more ridiculous with Elsweyr as the story start in the two dungeons dungeons who is released before the chapter and an new character can not do the dlc dungeon until well past the zone.

But yes have all characters be able to do the tutorial, have it as an continue of the prequel quest.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole starting in the new zones is a mess for mundus.

I can see new characters getting arguable the best trait in the game (divine) and wondering wtf to do with it given none of the chapter zones have mundus stones in them.

Since T1, the mundus stones are in triplicate, which is completely unnecessary.

I'd like to see two things

1) Choose your own starting location, Base, Morrowind, Summerset or Elsweyr.
    2) Choose your starting Mundus.

Then remove all Mundus stones from the base zones and move them all to Craglorn, given it is a mundus themed story, has a mundus themed crafting set, and already has derelict mundus stones that the very story actually gets you to charge up (or at least charge a gem from).
  • matsuobasho
    matsuobasho
    ✭✭
    I have to agree on this.
    With the third chapter being released, as well as the main story, there are plenty of different tutorials.

All of them are beautifully made, and it would cost nothing to simply add a selection panel.

Most importantly, I think that players should immediately get a starting Inn Room as part of the tutorial at this point, instead of running through the quest again.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complitionists will start in a chapter if they want all skillpoints in the game
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    Complitionists will start in a chapter if they want all skillpoints in the game
    They should really just fix this already. Maybe at the same time they implement the changes of being able to choose.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this really hurts new players to the point that I would recommend that they not buy the game with expansions. Only buy the original game and add DLC & chapters later.
  • blnchk
    blnchk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even better than being able to choose would be being able to play all tutorials as introductions to their respective chapter. Make them available for everyone. Why waste good content? Also, just thinking about that never to be gained skill point makes the completionist in me itch.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please yes. I’ve hated not being able to start in Coldharbour anymore
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite Starting area is still The Wailing Prison especially with the intro video. Yes there should be a choice.

There should also be an option to do the full tutorial to start each chapter with existing characters, like Morrowind. There was a small section there that you never get to see if you didn't start a new character there, I'm sure other tutorials have been the same, but sadly I can not say for sure.
    Edited by Casdha on January 16, 2019 5:55PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Tiedän
    Tiedän
    ✭✭✭

I understand what they're trying to do by getting their players /new players immediately acclimated with the latest zone, plus since the introduction of the first chapter they've bottled the main storyline into it's own quest that you can pickup once entering any of the faction zone. I actually like how they did this, it gives you the flexibility to develop your character's story the way you want, in the order you want. Maybe the chapters should default to the latest tutorial, but give you the option before the game actually begins for your character to switch to a previous tutorial (Summerset, Morrowind or the original Wailing Prison game tutorial) Considering one would theoretically possess previous chapters, they should have this option.
    Edited by Tiedän on January 16, 2019 6:06PM
    "Battle-Born is a name out of legend, sung in the songs of old and heard in deeds of valor for a hundred generations. 'For Clan Battle-Born!' they cry in the mead halls. 'First into the fray and last to quit their ale!'" - Olfrid Battle-Born
    PC/Mac - NA
    Thian Battle-Born - Nord Stamina DK DPS
    Alynu Dreth - Dunmer Magicka Sorcerer DPS
    Reeh-Jah Nisar - Argonian Stamina Nightblade DPS
    Eraldil Riverrun - Bosmer Stamina Warden DPS
    Tsavani Khanai - Khajit Magicka Templar DPS
    Laila The Huntress - Nord Stamina DK Tank
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    I think there should be a choice, with a brief explanation for what you're getting into by starting in each area.

I joined the game with Morrowind. I saw myself as a strictly solo/offline player, and I just wanted to play in Vvardenfell again after falling in love with the Elder Scrolls with TES III. At the time that's the only place where I wanted to play and would have been disappointed if I had started anywhere else.

On the other hand though, I eventually realized just how out of the loop I was by starting there and choosing to stay there until I played that zone to completion. There were bits of the story that I had no point of reference for yet. When I finally left Vvardenfell for the first time it was for inventory management - I had to clear out the survey reports that I had accumulated. I had to LOOK UP Coldharbour on UESP because I had never been there. I was trying to craft but nodes were extremely hard to come by because the zone was so heavily populated at the time. It was amazing how much easier crafting became once I completed Morrowind and finally traveled to my alliance zones. I had no idea what a dolmen was because they only existed in the base game. I couldn't fill soul gems because I hadn't unlocked the soul magic skill line, so I was constantly rezzing at wayshrines. Hell, I didn't even know I could travel at wayshrines. I thought they were just for rezzing and that I could only fast travel by boat, caravan, or silt strider.

The Wailing Prison is unquestionably the best starting point. If I had it to do all over again that's how I'd want to do it. However, I do see value in giving a choice. If there are people who have been waiting for TES to go to Elsweyr and are coming to ESO specifically for that, they should have the option to jump right into that. Some of those people are like me, who end up sticking around and growing more comfortable with other parts of the game and being in an MMO.
  • Verbal_Earthworm
    Verbal_Earthworm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't want the zone chat in the latest zones to be full of "how to horse?" type questions.

Or random spamming from disgruntled noobs.

It really brings the neighbourhood down.
  • jevans1342nub18_ESO
    Start in Coldharbor, choose your faction, start the Vestige quest line. Once a new player is in Tamriel proper, they can go to whatever zone they want, but at least they'll realize that there is an actual starting point with a story to follow. You just lose so much of the story when you don't pick it up in order, and I think Elsweyr is going to confuse things even more by starting with dungeons, and being spread over a year.

The tutorial for each DLC should also be an intro quest where current players can get the skill point, without having to start a new character.
  • General_Zeranth
    General_Zeranth
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a person who loves quest progression please yes. ANYTIME I start a new toon I always go searching for the Coldharbour start so I can do it in my personal order preference. I like getting things done in order. OCD ftw.
    Xbox - NA

Self confessed Master Angler title chaser.

Titles Earned: 10/∞
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Needs to happen.
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My idea is that everyone starts in coldharbour, but you can unlock additional starting points (which you can choose from at character creation) by completing the prior stories. IE completing the main story, Orsinium and DB unlocks the Morrowind start, completing the prior, Morrowind, and Clockwork City unlocks the Summerset start, and completing the prior, Summerset, and Murkmire unlocks the Elsweyr start.
    Edited by stimpy986b14_ESO on January 16, 2019 8:04PM