The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Let Players Choose Starting Story/Tutorial - Elsweyr Edition

• eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another solution and here are my thoughts.
    Have everyone start in coldharbour by default.
    Have stuga follow them around until they finish all the other stories yelling "U NEED TO GO ELSWEYR!" every 30 seconds ;)
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don’t even give the option to start there, IMO. Start in the actual beginning of the game, and the quest to go to the new areas is picked up in the first major zone like with all the other DLCs.

rip decibel
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    Let players choose their starting story/tutorial - Make changes for this to happen.
    Let the players choose the starting tutorial or start with wailing prison and allow them to TP to any of the chapter locations after that. Or let them play every tutorial if they choose, the 2/3 additional skill points in not going to break the game. I have all the skills i would ever need and more with extra points just lying around.

The wailing prison tutorial does drag on a bit, but that gives the reason of why you are basically immortal.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let players choose their starting story/tutorial - Make changes for this to happen.
    Am I right in thinking that we did have a choice when Morrowind first came out ? Or at least in the Morrowind early start ?
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    I always thought the game should start with the Wailing Prison. Everything else isn’t a good idea for various reasons.

I strongly feel the same way. Waking up in the wailing prison makes sense and can teach the basics, and skipping it once you've seen it can wake the character up in their starter island. That feels easier for new players to understand.
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree 100%. I don't know how you can start in Summerset and really understand what the hell is going on. Also it seems like Morrowind and clockwork would make no since. Plus meeting Darin for the first time and not knowing how he got their in the first place from the soul shriven line.

I actually restarted my pve main about 6 months ago since I already completed every quest bc I wanted to do the story again. I just jumped right to the soul shriven quest line. But if your new you would never know how to do that and I see new player in zone that are in morrowind who have asked me where the story connects and how to start from the very beginning all the time.

Also I really like this solution:
    My idea is that everyone starts in coldharbour, but you can unlock additional starting points (which you can choose from at character creation) by completing the prior stories. IE completing the main story, Orsinium and DB unlocks the Morrowind start, completing the prior, Morrowind, and Clockwork City unlocks the Summerset start, and completing the prior, Summerset, and Murkmire unlocks the Elsweyr start.

I feel like this would work really well, other then DB and Thieves guild I don't think should be a requirement. They are just side/guild storys.

@ZOS_GinaBruno - Please take a look at this poll.

Edited by JadonSky on January 16, 2019 8:29PM
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    My idea is that everyone starts in coldharbour, but you can unlock additional starting points (which you can choose from at character creation) by completing the prior stories. IE completing the main story, Orsinium and DB unlocks the Morrowind start, completing the prior, Morrowind, and Clockwork City unlocks the Summerset start, and completing the prior, Summerset, and Murkmire unlocks the Elsweyr start.

I don't think this is a good idea, locking the intro quest behind completion of previous regions will go back to before one Tamriel time. Just have a screen during character creation telling you what each starting point means, and have NPC waiting around to give you the tutorial quests for the other zones like the mysterious strangers shows up for a non base game start.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Players should NEVER start with the tutorial in the latest area. It's such a bad decision from ZOS. If you start with Morrowind/Summerset/Elsweyr tutorial you have NO idea about the game, what's going on, the main storyline with Molag Bal, the faction war... you basically know nothing about 99% of the game you're playing.

The problem is the game is essentially rebranded with each chapter. With Morrowind, this was a considerable concern due to the number of people who bought ESO due to nostalgia about Morrowind. It made sense to have them start there as a kind of revisiting of TES 3. That approach seemed pointless to me for Summerset.

That being said, there is something to be said for starting people with the most polished content.

I would like the ability to choose after character creation, just like how you can choose in Civ games whether or not you start a game with expansion content. The reality is that there are still people who buy the base game without the newest chapter and older accounts that create new characters with no chapters, so people are still starting in different zones. Might as well give flexibility to people who own everything. If they never had an interest in ESO but buy the game because they are obsessed with Khajiit, let them start in Elsweyr if they want.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! Please let us choose. I don't like the Morrowind or Summerst openings, so please let me choose classic. If there's a brand new player, sure, make them do the current expansion. Afterwards, what if they want to start a new character and get the Morrowind opening?

All the code already exists, just a matter of making the choice available.
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first tutorial played should always be the most recent chapter available. Reason: if I just bought Summerset, I expect to be in Summerset when I get out of the tutorial. I think it would be too confusing to be presented with four choices of tutorial with no idea of the stakes.

However, on creating a second character, you should be able to choose or completely skip your tutorial. By then, you should be aware of the general surroundings and environs of Tamriel.

And no matter which one of the chapter tutorials you choose, a courier should find you at a certain point and force you to take the Wailing Prison quest to start the main quest. I don't mean haul you away to Mannimarco immediately! Just that first quest that gets you into that out of the way place. This should be the first time you go to another PvE zone from your initial chapter zone or on completion of that chapter's main questline. Or even on your leveling to 20 or something. All the other nag quest givers stay the same. But the Courier presses the Main Quest into your hands.
    I ride in a zerg ball of one.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This needs to be a thing.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup
    PC-NA Goat
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have ALL players start in the Wailing Prison. It makes zero sense for the main story to be added as an afterthought, in the form of a random quest forced upon our journal sometimes months after the player has been wandering around. Players go everywhere and get treated like someone special. Why? Why are they able to resist soul trap magic and other sorts of bad things?

This way, every single player character starts as a Vestige, which they should.

If they decide to take the Wayshrine to Vvardenfell, kick in the boat scene. Ask if players want to go through the other tutorial or skip. If they decide to take the wayshrine to Summerset, same thing.

We already have the option of playing through two tutorials, the chapter one, and the Wailing Prison one right after. This would be no different. Except that this way it would actually make sense story-wise.
  • Coffee_Time447
    I like some of the suggestions others here have made for starting with coldharbor and having the other tutorials as an entrance to the DLC/Chapter :)
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coldharbour should be the starting quest. If you've never played before it sets the stage for the base game.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last two characters had to start in 'Chapters' (Morrowind and Summerset respectively). The moment they completed the tutorial, they ported straight to our home, took a long shower to forget and wash the chapter off, then stepped outside and focused all efforts on meeting the hooded stranger and going straight to the Wailing Prison where the game is supposed to start new characters. I'm tired of the silly workarounds and would love the option of starting in the original tutorial.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • RavenEye
    RavenEye
    ✭✭
    I didn't know there were different tutorials with the new chapters, so when I bought them and made a new character I was confused. I immediately came here to learn what had happened with the original and so made sure to meet the Hooded Stranger as soon as possible.
    As others have mentioned, it makes no sense for a new player. The Wailing Prison should be the starting area, or at least make it optional. It introduces us to the Main Quest and the story of who we are and sets the mood for the game. It's pivotal.
    Please leave the Wailing Prison as a starting area. You can have the newer tutorials of the chapters be introduced differently, rather than being a tutorial.
    I just skip them and go meet the Hooded Stranger.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I chose other because I main a stamina contrarian. I want all my characters to start in Coldharbor but I really don't care how others do it.

Choice is good, moar choice is gooder.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With you on this.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Gadamlub14_ESO
    Gadamlub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    ive logged into the forums for the first time in almost three years, just to vote in this poll.
  • AuraKoimizu
    AuraKoimizu
    ✭✭
    As many has already said, starting in the Wailing Prison should always be the tutorial for being the most interesting plus it is essential to understanding the basics of the game such as lockpicking, skyshards, and your character's role in the story which outlines mass majority of the game. I think anytime you select new character or game it should open up with the cinematic of you being sacrificed then make your character and then awaken in the prison. As for the tutorials of the other chapters, don't give instant access wayshrines rather make us go to the docks and take the boat/caravan thus starting up the events that lead you into those zones for example you are on the ship to Vvardenfell and you get knocked out from the ship wrecking; make it to where you experince it as if it were just a normal occurance rather than a tutorial so everyone can experince these events and get the skill points.
  • Akrasjel
    Akrasjel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well we are the Soulless One/Vestige.
    Thats how it all starts.
    [PC][EU][Daggerfall Covenant]
    Akrasjel Lanate - Imperial Nightblade | 50 | CP900+
    Born: 2E 551

Member of: | Traders of the Covenant | Hammerfell Trading | Imperial Trading Company |
    Houses: Strident Springs Demesne,

• BoneShatterer
    BoneShatterer
    ✭✭✭
    you start the game and escape from hell.. THATS where verything starts.

for a better example: LOTR being the best example; the hobbit 1>2>3> LOTR 1 >2>3 and NOT lotr 3> hobbit 1 > ;lotr 1 and so on this makes simply no sense at all
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a suggestion similar to what was done with the original tutorial.

Since the new chapters had navigators created to take players to the new zones, ZOS could turn the navigators into a quest NPCs that results in the triggering of the zone tutorial.

It would improve the immersion and breathe new life into all the hardwork that went into making the tutorials no longer used.

For example, a player stumbles across the navigator to Morrowind. Being adventurous, the PC talks to the NPC thinking it's just another routine boat fast travel...have a nice chat with the fellow passengers...
    then the ship is attacked.../spoiler]
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn it. Two no votes. Combo broken. :cry:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I gotta admit I really liked starting in the Vardenfal (or however its spelled) area
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree on this.
    With the third chapter being released, as well as the main story, there are plenty of different tutorials.

All of them are beautifully made, and it would cost nothing to simply add a selection panel.

Most importantly, I think that players should immediately get a starting Inn Room as part of the tutorial at this point, instead of running through the quest again.

ummmm .. my starting characters, and I do start new ones more often than I should, never do the quest. The inn keeper is standing at the door outside the apartment ready ask you if you want the room - and you get it on the spot.
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always want to start the game as the vestige from the beginning. It's really annoying that they start in Summerset.
    PC EU
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd also like for existing characters to be able to play through the new intros for immersions sake. The story flows better with the intros from morrowind and summerset.
    All over Tamriel, theres a sudden spike in Bosmers getting caught for their crimes. A sad day indeed... #FightForYourRite Give Bosmers back our stealth!
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The option to choose would be appreciated.
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos