The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[solved] Launcher wants to install game but it is already installed

Elissn
Elissn
✭✭✭
My PC enjoyes creating weird errors and probems and today it's ESO's turn again. *sigh*

So when I start the launcher the 'play' button instead says 'install' and when I click it it does in fact try to install the game but since I don't have enough disc space a 104 error pops up instead. The thing is though, my game is aready installed! I checked my folders and everything is there, right where it's supposed to be. How do I explain that to my Launcher? Is there an option to select and browse the directory for any game data? The repair function is no longer available for me, is has simply vanished from the menu.
I'm on Steam but when I browse the game's settings it shows me the correct install location so I don't think it's a Steam issue.

Well, there is one difference I noticed in my game folders. eso64.exe now always gives me a system warning when I open it, where I have to verify that I trust it's origin. But even it that file corrupted -again- the launcher should still be able to recognize the rest of my data, right?

Not long ago I had an issue where I lost all access permissions for my eso64.exe and the only way I could find to fix it was to move the entire folder to a new location. (I made this post back then.) Recently I was able to remove the broken file and moved everything back into the original folder. I deleted he temporary other folder. But since the game worked fine after that I'm not sure if my new problem is related to this.
Edited by Elissn on January 12, 2019 5:39PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Your ESO launcher may not have the required permissions to access certain folders leading to the 104 error. This problem can be fixed by running the launcher as an administrator.

Here is how to automatically run the launcher as administrator:
    • Right-click on the launcher icon.
    • Click on Properties.
    • In the Shortcut tab, click on the Advanced button.
    • Tick the Run as an administrator box, and then click on OK.
      • This option may be available under the Compatibility tab of some versions of Windows.

You should also check your anti-virus and firewall settings to make sure the correct exceptions are setup.

The application files that may require exceptions in these programs are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

Some antivirus programs require entire folders to be selected instead of a single file.When this is the case, the file paths below are what you should use. If required by the anti-virus program, include all subfolders since every file is critical to run the game.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Elissn
    Elissn
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    Your ESO launcher may not have the required permissions to access certain folders leading to the 104 error. This problem can be fixed by running the launcher as an administrator.

Here is how to automatically run the launcher as administrator:
    • Right-click on the launcher icon.
    • Click on Properties.
    • In the Shortcut tab, click on the Advanced button.
    • Tick the Run as an administrator box, and then click on OK.
      • This option may be available under the Compatibility tab of some versions of Windows.

You should also check your anti-virus and firewall settings to make sure the correct exceptions are setup.

The application files that may require exceptions in these programs are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

Some antivirus programs require entire folders to be selected instead of a single file.When this is the case, the file paths below are what you should use. If required by the anti-virus program, include all subfolders since every file is critical to run the game.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Thanks for the answer! I tried both but it didn't work.
    Also the 104 error only says that I don't have enough hard drice space to install the game, which is true. But since the game is already installed that shouldn't really matter I guess. (And I have more than enough space for the next updates.) I think all I need to do is to somehow show the Launcher where my game is installed but I have no idea how. Like some programs have a feature where you can select your install folder but I couldn't find anything like that.

I really don't want to reinstall everything. It took me over 24 hours to download and install the game and that was back in 2016 before all those big expansions were added!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    How much hard drive space do you currently have available?

Even when updating ESO will often need more space then the size of the update to go through properly. Getting the launcher to repair instead of install should correct the issue you are having. Try going through the steps listed below.
    • Click the install button, and start downloading.
    • Once the download begins, shutdown the launcher.
    • Restart the launcher.
    • Expand the Game Options menu (Cog wheel located above the News Feed).
    • It should say Updating…., under that it should say Cancel. Click Cancel.
    • The expanded tab should now change to include "Repair". Click Repair, and wait for it to finish.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Elissn
    Elissn
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    How much hard drive space do you currently have available?

Even when updating ESO will often need more space then the size of the update to go through properly. Getting the launcher to repair instead of install should correct the issue you are having. Try going through the steps listed below.
    • Click the install button, and start downloading.
    • Once the download begins, shutdown the launcher.
    • Restart the launcher.
    • Expand the Game Options menu (Cog wheel located above the News Feed).
    • It should say Updating…., under that it should say Cancel. Click Cancel.
    • The expanded tab should now change to include "Repair". Click Repair, and wait for it to finish.

It worked! Thank you for the idea!
    I cleared some drive space (had 80GB available and needed 90). The repair process was quite lengthy though, ~18 hours? I had it run overnight and while I was at work. When I started it yesterday evening I got a 209 error after a couple of hours, tried again and got a 1002 error this morning, tried again and when I came back from work it was finally done.
    For some reason the repairing cleared some extra 10GB of drive space for me. Not that I'm going to complain, just why? Guess I'll take it as an excuse from the launcher for annoying me like this. Apology accepted. For now. :D