Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mag DK PvP Build?

Ohhgrizyyy
Ohhgrizyyy
✭✭✭✭
Wanting a Destro/Resto Mag Dk build. Just returned to game and trying to figure out the meta rn and how things play out. Already tried Brass, BSW and Skoria. Had decentish tankiness but since I wasnt running any wards/shields survivability was still kinda hard even with 27k and 25k resists. Had good sustained damage but not alot of burst potential but I was lacking heals insanely..
Playing on PS4 NA server and current characters are CP 750

Lvl 50 EP High Elf Magsorc PvP (outdated)
Lvl 50 EP Wood Elf Nightblade (Currently my crafter)
Lvl 50 EP High Elf Magplar PvP (outdated healbot)
Lvl 50 EP Redguard Stam DK PvE (updating)
Lvl 50 EP Dark Elf Mag DK PvP

All my builds are outdated...I quit for a year lmao

PSN ID: SDL_Griz
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heals were partially lacking because I was running Inner Light to even hit a decent mag pool of just under 34k cause Brass wasnt helping much so bar space was limited. Only had Cauterize, Embers and Degeneration for heals. Which when you have 2-3+ people on you in open world you dont really heal through much. Build was good in duels but open world was iffy. Considering trying Shackle, BSW and Bloodspawn but this time with actual ward(s).

• JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the meta has been like this for some time now:
    1) Stack weapon, or in your case spell, damage/crit.
    2) Speedbuff & snare/immobilization immunity.
    3) If you have two people on you, use 1) to burst one of them down, then it is 1v1.
    4) If you have three or more people on you, use 2) to mitigate damage by breaking line of sight (unless you are sorc/nightblade, in which case you can also bolt/cloak, but you are not) and spread them out, i.e. basically reset combat over and over until you get quick succession of 1v1 instead of 3+v1. Obviously you can reset 1v1 as well, if it is not going well.

Now the problem of DK is that doing 1) is mutually exclusive with making class abilities that are based on max health effective, and 2) has no satisfactory solution, unless I missed some development.

EDIT: actually there may be solution in Psijic skill line, but us base game freeloading DKs are screwed.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on January 18, 2019 2:08AM
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Bright Throat's, 5 Elf Bane (Jewellery and 2 Body), Zaan. Running a 5 light, 2 heavy setup. Can run 2 jewellery, Chest and Weapons if you want to run 5,1,1.

Use the tri-stat drink from Clockwork and you won't struggle with Max mag or sustain. You'll have pretty decent damage too.
    Dark Flare is the Beginning, Radiant is the End. Hail the Light Bringers!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am currently running Bright Throat, Shackle and Skoria on my MagDK. What I have found with DK compared to sorc is you can make up for the shield changes without needing to stack resistances with sets. I just make sure that I hit 25K health in PVP, and bright throat + witch mothers provides mag sustain. Shackle gives stam for break free. And the most important thing is to stack healing. Cauterize is a fantastic skill for sustain healing. And I run Shattering Rocks instead of Fossilize for the added heal. With these skills, plus Dragon Blood, claw, and Power Lash, your healing is incredible. The key is to always make a point of hitting every enemy with claw for the heal.

I also dropped the restro stave. Since the shield changes, the only thing that the restro stave was providing for a DK was mutagen (imo). Rather than worry about that, I back barred an ice staff to run WOE. Stunning a player in Ice wall can be devastating.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I am currently running Bright Throat, Shackle and Skoria on my MagDK. What I have found with DK compared to sorc is you can make up for the shield changes without needing to stack resistances with sets. I just make sure that I hit 25K health in PVP, and bright throat + witch mothers provides mag sustain. Shackle gives stam for break free. And the most important thing is to stack healing. Cauterize is a fantastic skill for sustain healing. And I run Shattering Rocks instead of Fossilize for the added heal. With these skills, plus Dragon Blood, claw, and Power Lash, your healing is incredible. The key is to always make a point of hitting every enemy with claw for the heal.

I also dropped the restro stave. Since the shield changes, the only thing that the restro stave was providing for a DK was mutagen (imo). Rather than worry about that, I back barred an ice staff to run WOE. Stunning a player in Ice wall can be devastating.

Was gonna ask you're surviving with that solo/small scale? As stated I was running 5 Brass (light), 5 BSW and 2 Skoria and found myself not really living that long. My heals that I relied on is/were Cauterize, Embers, Degeneration heal, shattering and power lash. Was not enough to really keep me going. Tried moving a thing or 2 and added mutagen but it still didnt end up helping much. Found it hard to get room to use Coag Blood. I personally like the resto for the resto ult. Whats your bar setup if I can ask? Mines..

Front: Whip, Embers, Talons, Ele Drain, Inner Light (to make up for low mag with brass)

Back: Shattering, Cauterize, Volatile, Wings, Degeneration

I had tried taking Ele Drain off and putting wings on front and then putting mutagen on back and it still didnt help much. Now I got a set of shackle made last night and it will definitely raise my mag enough once I get undaunted. Want to say it sits at like over 34k with shackle when I dont have inner light so I could end up taking that off but idk

• Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I run the same thing, but I run SnB/Ice Staff.. although Inferno Staff front bar would be great for damage. Personal preference kinda thing
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to tag this thread so I can read up. I just got my DK to 50 a couple weeks ago and have taken him out a couple times for PvP. I did OK running 5 L, 2 heavy 1h/sh and frost staff back bar Shacklebreaker, Impregnable, bloodspawn a few pieces sturdy. Im now trying it as heavy with Skoria in place of BS. I kind of wanted to do a lot of leaps and quick ultimate but Skoria seems really good on DK. Maybe as I get more used to it, I wll go 5 light again.

I am curious if any of you slot efficient purge. Seems I get plenty of incoming heals passively but those bleeds... Maybe I am just to spoiled by Templar
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Going to tag this thread so I can read up. I just got my DK to 50 a couple weeks ago and have taken him out a couple times for PvP. I did OK running 5 L, 2 heavy 1h/sh and frost staff back bar Shacklebreaker, Impregnable, bloodspawn a few pieces sturdy. Im now trying it as heavy with Skoria in place of BS. I kind of wanted to do a lot of leaps and quick ultimate but Skoria seems really good on DK. Maybe as I get more used to it, I wll go 5 light again.

I am curious if any of you slot efficient purge. Seems I get plenty of incoming heals passively but those bleeds... Maybe I am just to spoiled by Templar

Thats what dk's struggle against is bleeds I've learned. Skoria is nice because MDK's lack burst which Skoria helps provide

• ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah bleed builds are brutal to fight against as a magDK. I'm tempted to try Wyrds Tree and see if it helps, but I don't want to drop Impreg for it. :(
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For BGs;

Heavy innate axiom, burning spell weave weapon/jewls, back bar vma resto. Choice of monster set: bloodspawn, grothdar, valkyn, zaan. I prefer bloodspawn. Tri stat food and glyphs on big pieces.

Ele drain, embers, fossilize, whip, chains (morph that pulls you to enemy) leap
    mutagen, wings, healing ward, armor, cauterize, resto ult.

• Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    iCaliban wrote: »
    For BGs;

Heavy innate axiom, burning spell weave weapon/jewls, back bar vma resto. Choice of monster set: bloodspawn, grothdar, valkyn, zaan. I prefer bloodspawn. Tri stat food and glyphs on big pieces.

Ele drain, embers, fossilize, whip, chains (morph that pulls you to enemy) leap
    mutagen, wings, healing ward, armor, cauterize, resto ult.

Sustain sounds iffy with this setup.

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohhgrizyyy wrote: »

Was gonna ask you're surviving with that solo/small scale? As stated I was running 5 Brass (light), 5 BSW and 2 Skoria and found myself not really living that long. My heals that I relied on is/were Cauterize, Embers, Degeneration heal, shattering and power lash. Was not enough to really keep me going. Tried moving a thing or 2 and added mutagen but it still didnt end up helping much. Found it hard to get room to use Coag Blood. I personally like the resto for the resto ult. Whats your bar setup if I can ask? Mines..

Front: Whip, Embers, Talons, Ele Drain, Inner Light (to make up for low mag with brass)

Back: Shattering, Cauterize, Volatile, Wings, Degeneration

I had tried taking Ele Drain off and putting wings on front and then putting mutagen on back and it still didnt help much. Now I got a set of shackle made last night and it will definitely raise my mag enough once I get undaunted. Want to say it sits at like over 34k with shackle when I dont have inner light so I could end up taking that off but idk

Yeah, I run solo and small scale with it. My setup is:

I realized I made a recent update and took out the front bar stave to run Dual Swords (It gives the damage boost without the need to slot a destro skill, it is such a freeing setup with the sustain from Bright Throat. Plus you can run two glyphs for light attack procs and stam regen with heavy attacks)

So front bar: Dual Swords: Embers, Shattering Rocks, Power Lash, Draw Essence, Inner Light, Leap

Back Bar: Ice Staff: Wall of Elements, Cauterize, Dampen Magic, Coagulated Blood, Dragon Fire Scales, Magma Shell

The Back Bar Ult is really a flex spot. And I run Dragon Fire Scales for the added damage to attackers over a bit of a loss for the snare removal. You can run whatever morph you like best. I run Draw Essence front bar for an AOE heal and damage.

My usual rotation is to approach a target on my back bar. That way I can keep my shield up and wings up until in close enough range. Then I drop WOE, light attack, bar swap, light attack, claw, light attack, Shattering Rocks, and then whip. When I am outnumbered, I use Claw as my spammable for the heal and the decent amount of damage it puts out and then I use whip as an execute. When I am 1v1, I keep up claw but use whip as the spammable.

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valykc wrote: »

I run the same thing, but I run SnB/Ice Staff.. although Inferno Staff front bar would be great for damage. Personal preference kinda thing

I realized that I no longer run staff here. I run dual wield. I was running staff but being forced to slot a destro skill was annoying and it took up valuable bar space. So running dual swords is my new go to for the DK.

Plus, two things that I think are overlooked with dual swords compared to destro: 2 swords give you 2 enchantments to proc and two different traits. So I am running sharpened and nirnhoned and gaining both those damage increases. Whereas, the destro can only run 1 trait and 1 enchantment. I've slowly been switching my melee mag characters to dual wield, including my Warden.

• JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run DW Destro. Bright throats alt Mastery. 1 kena 1 Balorgh. Clock work drink. Solo. But dorking around Zerg surfing i’ll Switch to spinners Julianos 1 kena 1 Balorgh. Use Psijic deep thoughts and keep ele Drain on EVERYBODY. eat longfin.

Julianos Alteration Mastery is a good set up too or Lich.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have any experience with Wyrds tree or Indomitable Fury? Considering running 1 of them with BSW and Bloodspawn or maybe even a magsorc style setup with armor master, bsw/innate axion and BS or Skoria
    Edited by Ohhgrizyyy on January 11, 2019 9:46PM

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have any experience with Wyrds tree or Indomitable Fury? Considering running 1 of them with BSW and Bloodspawn or maybe even a magsorc style setup with armor master, bsw/innate axion and BS or Skoria

It's funny that you ask, I am in the process of putting together a Wyrd's Tree and Robe's of the Hist build for a non cloak magblade. The 100% purge every 15 seconds is pretty solid. And Robes of the Hist is great for the 15 seconds where you cannot purge an effect.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Don’t run fury on a MagDk and run sun over bsw. Try sun and Lich skoria. And get Undaunted lol.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t run fury on a MagDk and run sun over bsw. Try sun and Lich skoria. And get Undaunted lol.

I ran Sun for a bit, but Sun does not boost any healing at all. So I would say BSW is the better option. Or you could just run Innate Axiom.
    Edited by jaws343 on January 11, 2019 10:24PM
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I ran Sun for a bit, but Sun does not boost any healing at all. So I would say BSW is the better option. Or you could just run Innate Axiom.

What’s your thinking on Julianos over bsw. Julianos heals CRIT.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My build is heavy Shackle, BSW, Skoria.

Sword & Board front: Coagulated Blood, Embers, Fossilize, Whip, Reflective Plate, Temporal Guard as ult (for minor protection, but you can also use it to survive some heavy burst when used properly)

Destro staff back: Pulsar (skill of choice, can be whatever destro skill you want), Race Against Time, Molten Armaments, Destro Reach, Volatile Armor, Ferocious Leap as ult.

I use Blackrose Lightning as destro staff. When blocking and Coagulating I can survive quite a beating unless I'm getting really high burst at the time or got spammed by Mages Wrath.
    Edited by robpr on January 11, 2019 10:49PM
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    robpr wrote: »
    My build is heavy Shackle, BSW, Skoria.

Sword & Board front: Coagulated Blood, Embers, Fossilize, Whip, Reflective Plate, Temporal Guard as ult (for minor protection, but you can also use it to survive some heavy burst when used properly)

Destro staff back: Pulsar (skill of choice, can be whatever destro skill you want), Race Against Time, Molten Armaments, Destro Reach, Volatile Armor, Ferocious Leap as ult.

I use Blackrose Lightning as destro staff.

Friend of mine runs shacklebreaker Lich skoria almost like that. SnB Destro.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭

Why sun over BSW? A year ago thats all mdk's used was bsw

• WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mighty Chudan Head, Lord Warden Shoulder, 5pc Naga shaman, Jewelries+wpn Hist Sap.

Grats now you don't need to give two sheits and a fook about stams and most mag specs.

Still pretty vulnerable to those deal direct burst damage (mag sorc) without a bit of snare, though.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭

It's funny that you ask, I am in the process of putting together a Wyrd's Tree and Robe's of the Hist build for a non cloak magblade. The 100% purge every 15 seconds is pretty solid. And Robes of the Hist is great for the 15 seconds where you cannot purge an effect.

Do you think Bright's+Shackle and Bloodspawn would be good? I would run the Destro/Resto build with at least Ward Ally. Tbh I'm worried about damage and tankyness even though I know it should be decent. I just havent played with shields hardly this patch so idk how good or bad they are.

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juli isn't a bad option. The 100% uptime of spell damage is pretty solid.

Adding bloodspawn to bright and shackle isn't bad. But the burst from Skoria is too good for me personally to pass up. The way I look at it is that the extra time I survive with bloodspawn is time I probably would havr gotten a kill with skoria.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently running:

5x Elf Bane - 5x Sun - 2x Zaan.

All Heavy with Sun weapons & jewelry.

lv72xoU.png
    Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 12, 2019 8:21PM
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Currently running:

5x Elf Bane - 5x Sun - 2x Zaan.

All Heavy with Sun weapons & jewelry.

lv72xoU.png

Character looks amazing. Honestly whats the point of running Elf Bane though? Destro/Resto or?

• JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Why sun over BSW? A year ago thats all mdk's used was bsw

If you’re gonna run Destro resto and healing ward your shields scale off your max health and sun gives you some. Though Bsw probably always proc and be up, I personally eschew proc sets and like always on damage so sun over BSW.

Sustain is a major issue. I’d run Alteration Mastery or Lich with SOMETHING. Then build for damage from there. Arcane spelldamage on the jewelry. Spell Damage over Max Magicka where you can get it.

Personally, I’ve run Destro resto leveling up and on a MagDk gank build and loved it. Pals of mine 1vX on it and love it. But they’ve gravitated to SnB Destro shacklebreaker Lich skoria. I run DW Destro, bright throats, alt Mastery 1 kena 1 Balorgh and the Psijic deep thoughts and never worry about sustain. MagDk lacks good burst so out sustaining fools helps 1v1 and bright throats does ok damage. (Zerg surfing you could get by with spinners Julianos 1 kena 1 Balorgh and do insane damage and be ok with keeping ele Drain on people as I mentioned before).

In this age of bowtards keeping wings up 100% and ALWAYS using the terrain (ducking behind things) kiting and line of sighting just helps.

In the end MagDk is in a great place because there are a lot of things you can run and be effective. There’s no one right way to run it.
  • SkysOutThizeOut
    SkysOutThizeOut
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not destro resto, but 2h destro could work. 22k leap, 11.7k base whip buffed, 13.8k lash, over 1600 recovery over the course of a minute.
    https://youtu.be/OiXyA0evWZg
    Edited by SkysOutThizeOut on January 12, 2019 11:12PM
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like using SaB with Desto with Magnus and BSW. I change around between Elf Bane and Axion with VALK, Groth, and Zaan. Working on Resto staff now.