The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Custom Stat Sets

Zivolier
Zivolier
Soul Shriven
Good day everyone!

Since all crafted sets have 4 stats, with 3 of them being normalized to a level and quality depending value ...
and since most combinations of stats (I can think of) are now already in the game
I wonder why not to boost the value of crafted (self-made) sets
by allowing the player to pick their own 3 stats for a set
and only let the last one be a special one, linked to the crafting station/ set name.
Yes, I know, it would need some rebalancing but it is not like all sets are perfectly balanced in the first place,
while the generic stuff is actually the best-balanced one.

Just a thought, I myself don't know if it's a good one - please don't kill me.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a great idea on paper, @Zivolier.

Once you start thinking about it, however, there are a few hurdles to overcome.

The main issue is that crafted sets might immediately become meta ... if players get to choose the set bonuses on their gear. As a crafter I totally support that. However, ZOS may not support it since it would essentially replace players having to run content for gear.

It’s an interesting idea though. Crafters are always looking for ways to boost their notoriety. If done right it would be a nice addition to the game.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 7, 2019 8:49PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ pretty much. It would permit players to fine tune how much crit chance vs damage stats players could stack and I would expect WD/SD would be preferred over max stam/mag in most cases. That could push crafted sets over the top for one 5pc set and possibly 2 sets in some cases.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a great idea on paper, @Zivolier.

Once you start thinking about it, however, there are a few hurdles to overcome.

The main issue is that crafted sets might immediately become meta ... if players get to choose the set bonuses on their gear. As a crafter I totally support that. However, ZOS may not support it since it would essentially replace players having to run content for gear.

It’s an interesting idea though. Crafters are always looking for ways to boost their notoriety. If done right it would be a nice addition to the game.

I can guarantee that my mag characters would be running max mag on every slot in a julianos + kags combo. Or running max spell damage in every slot for a huge spell damage boost. You could craft some devastating set combos that are currently only ok due to the 2-4 piece stats. A mag or stam only tailored Clever Alchemist, or Innate Axiom could be game breaking.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The existing crafted sets would have no purpose if this happened. If you couldn't duplicate their stats, the custom one would be under-powered and pointless, and if you could, then you'd build custom every time, to avoid the inconvenience.of finding the matching station. Guildhalls would only have the custom build stations, etc.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this idea. It would help revitalize crafting and mix up the meta a little. Comparable damage stats (dmg, crit, max resource) are actually really well balanced, so for many sets this would just add a little custom flavor.

Sets with weak hybrid bonuses (Twice Born Star) would become useful again, and could outperform Julianos or Hundings by about 1% damage (not too overpowered, and still lower than many dropped sets).

Other new possibilities would open up as well, like dual wield stamina DPS using Torugs Pact with weapon damage bonuses (instead of spell dmg, spell resist, and health).

Some things may have to be adjusted slightly, like clever alchemist with damage bonuses instead of health might be too bursty (although it would also be very glass cannon).

I would like to see this option added for dropped sets as well, similar to the transmutation system. It could even use the same transmute crystals as currency. Imagine a tank being able to change the Minor Slayer on Alkosh into Minor Aegis, max health or physical resistance.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 8, 2019 6:20PM
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so No for spellcrafting, but a big Yes for Armor Crafting IE combine certain trait stones and ingredients for different results...Im down with this
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    The existing crafted sets would have no purpose if this happened. If you couldn't duplicate their stats, the custom one would be under-powered and pointless, and if you could, then you'd build custom every time, to avoid the inconvenience.of finding the matching station. Guildhalls would only have the custom build stations, etc.

I think the OP is only referring to the 2-4 piece stats for each set. The 5-pc bonus (which makes the set unique) would still be unique to each individual thing (i.e. Julianos gives 299 SD. TBS gives the use of 2 mundus stones, etc..) Thus you would still use the set's crafting stations to create the gear, whether they are overland, or as an attunable in somebody's house.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like the idea as well. Without going through all the permutations (as there would be a ton of them!) I don't know if there would be any set that is dramatically overpowered. Most sets are run primarily based on their 5-pc bonuses, and those would not change in those scenarios.

Would 3x SD Julianos out perform Siroria?

I would think (not based on any testing) that the current dropped sets that most players use would still be among the best, but it might promote some build diversity among crafted sets as well.

I think this would be something that would be very interesting to look at.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    I also like the idea as well. Without going through all the permutations (as there would be a ton of them!) I don't know if there would be any set that is dramatically overpowered. Most sets are run primarily based on their 5-pc bonuses, and those would not change in those scenarios.

I would think (not based on any testing) that the current dropped sets that most players use would still be among the best, but it might promote some build diversity among crafted sets as well.

The problem is this could lead to some extremely powerful sets. Image being able to run fortified brass but with max mag or spell damage stats in the 2-4 slots. Or even Armor Master with these bonuses. And then pair one of those with a full max mag Twice Born Star set.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this idea. It would help revitalize crafting and mix up the meta a little. Comparable damage stats (dmg, crit, max resource) are actually really well balanced, so for many sets this would just add a little custom flavor.

Sets with weak hybrid bonuses (Twice Born Star) would become useful again, and could outperform Julianos or Hundings by about 1% damage (not too overpowered, and still lower than many dropped sets).

Other new possibilities would open up as well, like dual wield stamina DPS using Torugs Pact with weapon damage bonuses (instead of spell dmg, spell resist, and health).

Some things may have to be adjusted slightly, like clever alchemist with damage bonuses instead of health might be too bursty (although it would also be very glass cannon).

I would like to see this option added for dropped sets as well, similar to the transmutation system. It could even use the same transmute crystals as currency. Imagine a tank being able to change the Minor Slayer on Alkosh into Minor Aegis, max health or physical resistance.

I agree that I think it would help revitalize crafting, and would potentially open up those sets to be used more than they are in end-game content.

However, I do disagree with dropped sets being adjustable, as I think that would negate the entire effect. If dropped sets are already the "meta" for most classes, being able to adjust their traits, would only make them continue to be the best, rather than shifting the crafted sets to be closer in power to the dropped sets, it would simply slide the power of both types of sets up, and not changing the gap between them.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zivolier wrote: »
    Good day everyone!

Since all crafted sets have 4 stats, with 3 of them being normalized to a level and quality depending value ...
    and since most combinations of stats (I can think of) are now already in the game
    I wonder why not to boost the value of crafted (self-made) sets
    by allowing the player to pick their own 3 stats for a set
    and only let the last one be a special one, linked to the crafting station/ set name.
    Yes, I know, it would need some rebalancing but it is not like all sets are perfectly balanced in the first place,
    while the generic stuff is actually the best-balanced one.

Just a thought, I myself don't know if it's a good one - please don't kill me.

@Zivolier I hope you don't mind, but I have shared your idea with a discord I'm in that has a little more "direct" communication with the devs than the forums do. I certainly think it's a good idea that deserves a closer look, as a way to re-fresh crafted sets.
  • Zivolier
    Zivolier
    Soul Shriven
    Yes, do as you please. Thanks so far to everyone for reading and all your insightful comments!

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    tmbrinks wrote: »

The problem is this could lead to some extremely powerful sets. Image being able to run fortified brass but with max mag or spell damage stats in the 2-4 slots. Or even Armor Master with these bonuses. And then pair one of those with a full max mag Twice Born Star set.

I do agree there could be some "problem" sets that are currently "underpowered" because of their 2-4 set bonuses that could become overpowered with those traits that are more desirable. It might take some tweaking of the 5-pc bonus to ensure that doesn't happen.

Fortified brass would lose 50% of it's 5pc as its 3 and 4 trait are also resists (at 1/2 values), so it could potentially become weaker as well (or at least weaker as providing resists...) Instead of going full resistance, you get some resistance and some stats.

I think it's worth looking at, at the least...