The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The furniture item cap is a lie

• Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    FPS inside a house doesn't necessarily have to be any better than in Cyrodiil or loading into a main hub. If it's already what we experience while playing other parts of the game I don't see why it would be a big deal, but dueling inside my cluttered 386 item Cliffshade gives me decent fps. The same PC setup can turn to garbage in other parts of the game.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on January 3, 2019 7:00PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FPS inside a house doesn't necessarily have to be any better than in Cyrodiil or loading into a main hub. If it's already what we experience while playing other parts of the game I don't see why it would be a big deal, but dueling inside my cluttered 386 item Cliffshade gives me decent fps. The same PC setup can turn to garbage in other parts of the game.

Yeah I don't see how the benchmark for houses has to be a flawless 60 FPS even on old potatoes and consoles, when you can go out into trials and cyrodiil and have absolutely horrendous and terrible performance and crashes. That's perfectly acceptable for ZOS, but GODS FORBID you should actually get a small FPS drop in a player house, that would be absolutely madness aparrently. Oh the double standards ...
  • Zallibik
    Zallibik
    Soul Shriven
    i got one question, if every single player across the world stopped playing immediately because of the limit, would ZoS choose to up it then? or is it simply that it can not be done.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The constraints I'd expect to affect the limit are the size of the data that needs to be sent from the server to the client when you enter the instance, and the complexity of the database processing to retrieve that data. If it were the former, then the limit would be applied as a total of all items, and the ability to make trade-offs between trophies and regular furnishings would already be there for us. So that's leading me to think it's the database design limiting this, which is purely at the server end.
  • miscreant7
    If I might just add a different perspective for just a moment... When we play we see a world with players, but what the back end of the game looks like is all database entries. Each player you see has some entry in that database something like: Name, race, height, skin color, hair style, eye color, etc... cross referenced with each slot of armor's database: Helm: weight, set, motif, color 1, color 2, color 3, display style, style color 1, style color 2, style color 3, etc... for each item that is worn.

Housing works the same way. Daggerfall Overlook, for example has a database with 700 entries set aside for furnishings regardless of if they are used or not. It also has separate entries for collectibles, trophies, etc... all there whether full or empty. Each entry has to be what it is and where it is on x,y, &z grid coordinates plus x,y, &z rotation axis. So take all the Daggerfall Overlooks in the game and multiply the database table entries for each one and it gets insane pretty quickly. Then add all the other housed and their linked databases...

I hear people saying gaming is the hardest paces you can put your computer through, and for the average player that is true, but anyone who has worked with massive databases can tell you search times and linked tables can be the biggest nightmare and as resource intensive as gaming. In a corporate environment query time is a real issue, but to integrate it into a game environment measured in milliseconds must be some circle of hell...

...but yeah, 100+ trophy slots is dumb as hell. I would like to see some of them moved over to regular furnishing slots. Maybe 750 and 50 respectively.

*Also: Essential Housing tools uses local storage for the "non-furnishing" furnishing it can add to the game that are not really in game. Totally separate thing.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »

Yeah I don't see how the benchmark for houses has to be a flawless 60 FPS even on old potatoes and consoles, when you can go out into trials and cyrodiil and have absolutely horrendous and terrible performance and crashes. That's perfectly acceptable for ZOS, but GODS FORBID you should actually get a small FPS drop in a player house, that would be absolutely madness aparrently. Oh the double standards ...

It's because it's probably not really about that.

As a perceptive friend pointed out, the lower the limits, the faster you run out of space and want to buy a new house (hopefully, for real money).

I actually think it is a mistake for them to think like that, though, as the better the housing experience, the more you want to repeat it.

So, the more satisfied you are with the finished product (because they gave you enough slots to make the house feel complete), the more likely you are to go for another one, on the basis that the same will happen again.

As for myself, the only issues I have ever had inside my own houses is things like flames in braziers and flowing water from fountains not showing, if there are a lot of them in one place.

The lights still glow and the fountains still make a noise, but the effects of some of them don't show.

It's not ideal, but it's better than a half empty looking house.
  • TwIsTeDReDQuEeN
    TwIsTeDReDQuEeN
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ This coupled with the outrageous unrealistic price points for pixelated homes is the reason why many of my housing friends and I have moved on to Minecraft! (Hey UNLIMITED building potential & NO BLDG CAPS! DON'T JUDGE!) lol

Sadly console players will never have the ease of access to all the amazing tools PC players are privy to ( without migrating to pc) such as @R_K EHT! The disparity is maddening at times but understandable due to specs/platform.

The big issue ESO is faced with in 2019 is the outdated game engine. It was built on the Hero Engine (same engine as Star Wars Old Republic 2011-feel free to research all the performance issues there lol), ESO launched in 2014 on said engine and now here we are 5 yrs later playing on old tech! So unfortunately the issue is MUCH bigger than just item slots for housing!!

Let it be known Im making no concessions for ZOS/Bethesda or ESO in any way, although I love ESO and the games of the past (Skyrim etc..). The point here is we as consumers should have adjusted expectations of any tech/gaming company.

Sadly we pay tons of RL coin to enjoy the game in all its aspects, housing included; and should not have to think about the tech and its impediments on our game-play experience. The reality is there is nothing that we as a consumer can do except state our frustrations (which we have done to no avail) OR lockup our coin purse! Such a shame as this game is beautiful, dynamic and filled with many stories to tell, however my personal HOMESTEAD dreams for ESO have been met with a callous reality: Housing will NOT have the changes we hope for until they can fix the game as a whole. And there you have it, we have come full circle. ESO needs a new engine upgrade, and therein lies a multitude of issues.

This is a great game and i am hopeful for its future, but for the time being I will play, design and build to my hearts content on heckin' Minecraft! ;)<3
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ This coupled with the outrageous unrealistic price points for pixelated homes is the reason why many of my housing friends and I have moved on to Minecraft! (Hey UNLIMITED building potential & NO BLDG CAPS! DON'T JUDGE!) lol

Sadly console players will never have the ease of access to all the amazing tools PC players are privy to ( without migrating to pc) such as @R_K EHT! The disparity is maddening at times but understandable due to specs/platform.

The big issue ESO is faced with in 2019 is the outdated game engine. It was built on the Hero Engine (same engine as Star Wars Old Republic 2011-feel free to research all the performance issues there lol), ESO launched in 2014 on said engine and now here we are 5 yrs later playing on old tech! So unfortunately the issue is MUCH bigger than just item slots for housing!!

Let it be known Im making no concessions for ZOS/Bethesda or ESO in any way, although I love ESO and the games of the past (Skyrim etc..). The point here is we as consumers should have adjusted expectations of any tech/gaming company.

Sadly we pay tons of RL coin to enjoy the game in all its aspects, housing included; and should not have to think about the tech and its impediments on our game-play experience. The reality is there is nothing that we as a consumer can do except state our frustrations (which we have done to no avail) OR lockup our coin purse! Such a shame as this game is beautiful, dynamic and filled with many stories to tell, however my personal HOMESTEAD dreams for ESO have been met with a callous reality: Housing will NOT have the changes we hope for until they can fix the game as a whole. And there you have it, we have come full circle. ESO needs a new engine upgrade, and therein lies a multitude of issues.

This is a great game and i am hopeful for its future, but for the time being I will play, design and build to my hearts content on heckin' Minecraft! ;)<3

I think you're absolutely right about the engine. And I also think that's why games eventually die... because there is not yet a way to gracefully migrate to newer, better tech/platforms. So we have to consider if we're going to keep paying high prices for outdated technology that will continue to disappoint our expectations.

Currently for my housing fix I play Conan Exiles, a game with a MUCH lower price point and, of course, mods (of which there are many) are free. It's still not perfect but until we can figure out how to get a Sims 3 building experience into a multiplayer game it's light years ahead of what ESO offers in terms of freedom of player creativity AND price.

And player housing isn't even on the radar for ESO with their current woes regarding basic gameplay.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you simply have no issues, as you still are within the limited range.

You can do an experiment (reproducable on xbox).

Play a bit in Summerset or Elsweyr.
    Then travel to the psijic villa or Hall of the lunar champion.
    I assume, that you use (almost) all 700 slots there.

Remove a furniture, and try to add it again. You now will get a dialog message, telling you that the memory limits have been reched, and you should remove some furniture.

If you exit the game, and restart now respawning directly in your house, everything works fine.

Conclusion:
    It is a known issue, that gameplay has memory leaks, especially the newer DLC.
    If you leave such an area, some memory is not unfreed, showing that the housings are running at limit memorywise causing the error.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on September 3, 2019 11:18AM