The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What should be goal of dps to reach to be average DPS?

• Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    things is the game doesn't help u achieve not even 20k dps. I am full CP and with hundings/spriggans on my stamnb i struggle to pass 30k on dummy. Without Relequen it's not possible to reach 40k dps?
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    things is the game doesn't help u achieve not even 20k dps. I am full CP and with hundings/spriggans on my stamnb i struggle to pass 30k on dummy. Without Relequen it's not possible to reach 40k dps?

@Sergykid Relequen is like 4k extra than other sets, so even without Relequen 50k is still fully possible. It's mostly in the rotation.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Striken7
    Striken7
    ✭✭✭
    Your dps depends on your current goals.

Want to do overland quests? 5k is fine.
    Want to do normal dungeons? 10k is a good first goal, but higher is better
    Veteran dungeons? 20k or more.
    DLC veteran dungeons? 25k+ would be nice, but you can get by with less.
    Vet trials? 30k+ would be ideal, but it varies depending on the fight.

This is a pretty good breakdown for target values IMO. Getting past 20k is pretty easy with crafted/overland sets and a little rotation work, the kind of effort I would expect sometime to put in before queuing for vet dungeons. If you just want to stick to normal dungeons, you can hit 10k with practically zero extra effort. I personally wouldn't kick anyone for DPS because like others have said, when PUG'ing I usually expect to carry the group anyway.

For an example, I just took a Stamblade (2H/Bow) in a couple of the typical "starter" sets with mostly bad traits (no monster pieces) and worked down the 3M dummy. With a total of 3 damage skills, 2 self buffs, 1 Ultimate, and a mix of Light/Heavy attacks (no food/potions), I was able to maintain 14.3k DPS. I didn't reset my CP so I know that plays a factor, but I basically potatoed it and still did plenty decent.

2lwcch.jpg
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    nowadays 35k+ in a decent setup, you dont need to be a god at the game to reach those numbers, just the average joe gamer.

I get the feeling that answers like this didn't read or understand the question. You would kick dps out of a group if they did less then 35k DPS? You'd be kicking over 95% of the playerbase if that were true. The "average joe gamer" is definitely not getting those kind of numbers.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    More than my healer or tank is doing

Agreed, I get annoyed when I’m healing and getting close to half the group’s dps.

Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think anything is fine in non-dlc dungeons because all low DPS will do is make it take longer. If all DPS can hit 15- 20k, then normal trials should be doable as well as DLC dungeons. All DPS hitting 25k+ should make vet trials (non-HM) achievable once you know the mechanics.

More important is being set up for the content: a single target DPS with a 2H who can hit 25k on a dummy will have trouble in any content where there are loads of adds but be fine when the boss is reached. An AOE DD who only hits 15k might melt all the add groups but have trouble killing a boss.

Knowing the mechanics and how to stay alive are more important than high damage numbers.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • HansProlo
    HansProlo
    ✭✭
    how is it possible to remain rotations on bosses like vet cradle of shadows, or maintaining 25k+ damage?

or moving bosses against those typical hail, caltrops, trap builds?
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why would anyone talk about 'DPS' if said person is not interested in vet content? Why ask for DPS numbers if all you do is burst (Overland / Normal content)

Noone cares that you can kill a overland mob in 2sec or 10sec.

DPS is a measurement used by veteran runners as stuff can actually take time to kill.... So saying that you need 35k-40k dps one is always talking vet content. This is so typical ESO, terms used by the end-game community leaks down to people not interested in end-game.. Why would a person that only does normals or overland even care about DPS?

And for those saying "20k was normal so why do people demand 40k now?" Well, it's 3 years since 20k was considered good.... We've had tons of changes since then making our DPS naturally higher. So too demand same dps as back then now you would surely be able to do it, but if your aim is progress or score it just wont do. And once you're a guild group running trials it quickly becomes a progress group as running with 0 progress can quickly turn dull. And well, progress for a DD is higer DPS. So a DD running low dps has obviously not progressed to the level the current competion are at.
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HansProlo wrote: »
    how is it possible to remain rotations on bosses like vet cradle of shadows, or maintaining 25k+ damage?

vCoS = one of the few fights were you have to drop the boss target because of running, cant be counted as a DPS check.

Moving bosses is all about timing.
    Edited by Kikke on January 2, 2019 12:26AM
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d say most should shoot for 30k. It’s easy enough to hit these days on any class, even with crafted gear and no light attack weaving. It’s about half what the top players are doing, so not an unreasonable goal.

I’m not saying the 10-20k DPS should be kicked, just that their builds or ability to use them isn’t yet complete. Still room to grow.
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Striken7 wrote: »
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    nowadays 35k+ in a decent setup, you dont need to be a god at the game to reach those numbers, just the average joe gamer.

I get the feeling that answers like this didn't read or understand the question. You would kick dps out of a group if they did less then 35k DPS? You'd be kicking over 95% of the playerbase if that were true. The "average joe gamer" is definitely not getting those kind of numbers.

Depends on what content you are doing, and yes 35k is easily reachable if you have 500+cp and invest 2 hours into learning a rotation and polish your gear setup. People are just lazy and want everything to be handed to them for free.

If I queue random normals or random vets (which I try to avoid as much as I possibly can) ofc I dont expect dds to pull 35k, average skilled people dont use dungeon-finder in the first place, because all you can expect in random queue is bottom of the barrel players trying to get a free carry.

The question was how much dps do people need to get through most of the content (without keeping mechanics etc. in consideration) and well 35k is my answer. I guess you didnt understand the question correctly.

Stop being salty on the forums because you cant reach those numbers, just learn to play the game.
    Edited by ATomiX96 on January 2, 2019 1:12PM
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »

Your DPS also rests a lot on your connection.

Mine is shoddy, plus I use a 2H, thus I reach about 30k as an average, which according to this thread is all I need for most if not all content if the group isn't idiotic, and more so as a Templar I can offer the 30k avg AND some sort of support if need be.

This thread has done wonders for my self confidence lol
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HansProlo wrote: »

Because when your dps is high enough you skip mechanics. Vcos you actually have to slow down dps otherwise you drop down without a light and have to deal with that mess.

50k dps per dps puts you in drop phase in just a few moments. Doesn't give her time to do anything. Go down below, come back up, rinse and repeat. I haven't had her go up to the ceiling in a long time. You can burn her before that happens.
    Edited by BuddyAces on January 2, 2019 6:13PM
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no magic DPS number. It's all subjective on what your group members tolerate. If a player does good damage but is dead most of the time, that doesn't add much value. If you do damage on the lower end, but play the mechanics well and help out, then you add value. I believe many players have a set amount of time to play each day and they have an agenda of things they'd like to do and if a majority of that time is consumed by a struggling dungeon run, irritations flare and judgements are passed.

This is my subjective view on DPS numbers to make content clears in a reasonable (again subjective) time.

Normal Base Game Dungeons: 10k DPS
    Normal DLC Dungeons: 20k DPS
    Veteran Base Game Dungeons: 20k DPS
    Veteran DLC Dungeons: 25k DPS
    Normal Base Game Trials: 10k DPS
    Normal DLC Trials: 20k DPS
    Veteran Base Game Trials: 25k DPS
    Veteran DLC Trials: 35k DPS

This of course assumes you are alive and can deliver the goods across the content. A dead DPS does zero damage and reduces the damage of the one resurrecting you.

• notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind, all these numbers will seems high. You have more buffs and debuffs in groups.
    Also, the highest dps comes with the fact every is doing high, shortening fights.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    How much dps do you think a person needs to complete content with normal standards.

Not taking to long to finish fights
    Not be over burdened by mechics
    Etc

I'd say 20k. It is very easy to get there, and should be a milestone to reach.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    it obviously vaires but id say 35-40k
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been using my healer over the last week and doing pledges with a mix of guilds and PUGs.

I’ve had the good of 100k+ group DPS where I’m pretty much obsolete and the bad of 30k group dps with me pulling 25% of that by only using blockade and power of light.

In both scenarios we got the pledges done including CoA2 with the low end DPS, to be honest neither were particularly enjoyable.

The low dps group especially didn’t just have an issue with damage but also a lacking in knowledge of mechanics, more prone to taking damage and standing in stupid. They also tended to spread out more making healing much more difficult.

Basically damage for me is only part of the issue, I’d happily take 2 20k DDs into any pledge who knew mechanics inside out and avoided damage and played well as a group.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can a player even measure his or her DPS on console, PS4 specially. I would like to be able to test my character DPS and see how he / she is performing and what I may need to adjust to improve my damage.

I'm still getting my rotation down due to needing to swap bars, not something I am use to from other MMO games.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How can a player even measure his or her DPS on console, PS4 specially. I would like to be able to test my character DPS and see how he / she is performing and what I may need to adjust to improve my damage.

I'm still getting my rotation down due to needing to swap bars, not something I am use to from other MMO games.
    Find a target dummy with 3 million HP (in other people's houses or guild halls) and do your rotation on it until it dies. It'll show your DPS at the end.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pelle412 wrote: »

Normal Base Game Dungeons: 10k DPS
    Normal DLC Dungeons: 20k DPS
    Veteran Base Game Dungeons: 20k DPS
    Veteran DLC Dungeons: 25k DPS
    Normal Base Game Trials: 10k DPS
    Normal DLC Trials: 20k DPS
    Veteran Base Game Trials: 25k DPS
    Veteran DLC Trials: 35k DPS

This of course assumes you are alive and can deliver the goods across the content. A dead DPS does zero damage and reduces the damage of the one resurrecting you.

99% agree with this. The DLC trials are tricky in that the mechanics and DPS levels go hand in hand. A 30K DPS could probably hang as long as they know the mechanics. But at the same time, if all of the DPS are at the 30K level, its going to be very difficult.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't play console but unless it's changed, run a timer on your phone. Do some math with kill time and dummy health and there ya go.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the current meta, I think 30k single target is a very good goal for someone that wants to put some effort into their build and rotation, but doesnt care about min/maxing to the Nth degree, nor do they want to spend hours and hours beating on a target dummy to fully master a dynamic rotation. Every class can do this with decent gear and a competent yet relatively simple rotation. That doesnt mean you will pull it in every boss fight, but it means that under optimal conditions you will get there solo, and more with some help from your group.

Damage is so high in this game that if you are much less than 20k, you have serious flaws in your build, rotation, or perhaps your own ego (what do you mean my S+B hybrid nord templar cant DPS from the corner?). 30k is also the number that I think safely gets your through every mechanic in the game (assuming your rotation doesnt go to pieces in actual combat). Sure you can get by with less, but in harder content, less than 30k can be a bit of a struggle. Most people that cant pull 30k also tend to struggle with more complex mechanics in my experience.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 2, 2019 10:55PM
  • Sy1ph5
    Sy1ph5
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly to avoid getting kicked the dps requirement varies by cp. I won't kick a cp160 for sucking but I'll kick an 810 in a heartbeat for pulling sub 20k I'm not in the business of carrying willfully ignorant players. Obviously none of this matters if they're rude at all kicked.

Tank doesn't provide fracture kicked and t-bagged. I'm not asking for much from a pug tank the bare minimum is major debuffs+taunt. Can't do that your not a tank.

Your RP build on a support will get you kicked.

We queue into wgt and you ask for spc you'll be informed olo exists. If you still want spc I'll kick you its for your own good.

If I see chokethorn procced your kicked.

If you wear the silver surfer skin I'll make fun of your self esteem issues.