The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Building for PVE DD without needing online guides

• notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone has tips/tricks for how they build top-damage builds without resorting to just copying one of the very-carefully crafted builds online.

Have a custom build for PVP that can pull about 22k dps in PVE which is really not great now im with a guild looking to complete all the games vet content, dont want to just copy a build or splice builds from Alcast or others.

I mean, a good place to start is is there a good place where all the sets are ranked? Where I can just find all the calculations done to get a basic idea of whats "generally" good or bad in a rankings? Save me from having to manually calculate it ALL myself?

Without trying to sound like a jerk, what is the best way to get the best video card without resorting to online benchmark posts?

You test them yourself. Everything. Or just use the resources from people that have already tested everything.

You can do well without meta setups, but they are that ways for a reason. Only so many combinations that can reach really high. Can do most content with sub-par setups
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everything depends on:

1. Your play style
    2. Your rotation
    3. The content you are doing

You asked why Hundlings/Briarheart is an alternative to Relequen/AY. Its because of this. Some of the "meta" builds are not effective in places like vMA, vBRP, vDSA, some dungeons, and overland. Sometimes VO and TFS will be more effective. A lot of these meta builds rely on the vMA or Master's Bow. Which, in turn, rely on a rotation based on gear and armor and skills.

What you are asking is to re-invent the wheel, as others have said. People on this site look at alcast, xynode, these threads and others to get their ideas. Some copy. Others do not. Check them out. The work has been done for you. Take the information, build what you want, and through trial and error, see if it works for you. There is no shame if that information comes from a build site. I mean, you are using an internet site full of people who do both, right now, to ask others who play this game for advice on how to build a character. Basically a difference without a distinction
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone has tips/tricks for how they build top-damage builds without resorting to just copying one of the very-carefully crafted builds online.

Have a custom build for PVP that can pull about 22k dps in PVE which is really not great now im with a guild looking to complete all the games vet content, dont want to just copy a build or splice builds from Alcast or others.

I mean, a good place to start is is there a good place where all the sets are ranked? Where I can just find all the calculations done to get a basic idea of whats "generally" good or bad in a rankings? Save me from having to manually calculate it ALL myself?

Without trying to sound like a jerk, what is the best way to get the best video card without resorting to online benchmark posts?

You test them yourself. Everything. Or just use the resources from people that have already tested everything.

You can do well without meta setups, but they are that ways for a reason. Only so many combinations that can reach really high. Can do most content with sub-par setups

Yeah, I can look up benchmarks.

You literally worked it out yourself without realizing;

I want benchmarks and the online guides are basically just build guides. Good builds at good prices, but with 0 objective help if you want to make a completely custom build.

Whoever said everyone just copies the online builds without questioning them, I can see their point.
    Some people here had genuinely useful answers, 80% did not.
    Edited by validifyedneb18_ESO on January 2, 2019 8:05PM
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was once a balance point where different classes may choose one set over the other, but a lot of the community effort to compare nuanced differences in DPS offered by sets kind of dropped off when Siroria and Relequen came out. They're several percentage points stronger than what used to be meta. And it's true that those sets aren't the best for every situation, but when it comes to min-maxing they're comfortablely on top for most trial boss fights.

Ranking every one of the sets is a difficult task since no two builds can gain the same benefit from a set. The variables you need to take into account are class buffs like stamina/magicka multipliers, hemmorage, crit rating buffs, etc. Pure light attack weaving or some amount of heavy attacks mixed in. Also it was already mentioned that there are elemental/magical/ physical buffs and effects to take into account, which can be dependent on class, race and CP. All of this will cause set buffs to have different final values between all the builds. It really takes a spreadsheet, though I haven't come across any online. Maybe start with the links to Asayre's work.

But it's all just a lot of busy work when you know Relequen can give around 10% more DPS anyway. The difference between sets used to be small, like 2-3%. That's all the difference Mechanical Acuity made and it took a nerf. And it also took meta making YouTubers months after CWC was released to figure out that Acuity was any good, so go ahead and test stuff on your own.