The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cirrenas the Shepherd is stupid

Jeremy
Jeremy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This boss needs to be redesigned or just disposed of entirely.

The spider add mechanic - which is dumb in it's own right - isn't the primary reason I say this either.

Once the spiders are dead this boss actively runs backward until it's out of the acceptable combat area to reset it's health and the fight. No boss should ever purposely remove itself from the combat zone during the normal course of fighting like this. That's just stupid, for obvious reasons. Yet that is exactly what this boss does.
Edited by Jeremy on December 28, 2018 9:16AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fight is pretty simple. Kill the boss, not the spiders. Tank should hold spiders off to the side and leave the boss to everyone else. It does work best with DK/Warden tanks though.

Be glad they nerfed it. She used to take even less damage if the adds were killed.

Anyhow, it is that way with any fight with mechanics. When the mechanics are not followed it becomes more challenging.
    Edited by idk on December 28, 2018 9:52AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    The fight is pretty simple. Kill the boss, not the spiders. Tank should hold spiders off to the side and leave the boss to everyone else. It does work best with DK/Warden tanks though.

Be glad they nerfed it. She used to take even less damage if the adds were killed.

Anyhow, it is that way with any fight with mechanics. When the mechanics are not followed it becomes more challenging.

I think you misunderstood my post.

My criticism has nothing to do with the spider adds or the supposed "challenge" of the fight. I thought I had made that clear. But maybe I didn't.

It has to do with the fact this boss actively leaves the combat zone to reset the fight and its health. No boss should ever purposely leave the combat zone during the normal course of a fight. Yet that's exactly what this one does. It's annoying as all get out - especially when your DPS sucks and shred the spiders and you have to spend the next forever struggling to keep the boss from resetting itself.

If they want to make it take a long a long time when the adds die, fine. I think it's dumb considering how easily they die and don't respond to taunts - but fine, i can deal with that. But having the boss actively seek to reset the fight by continuously running backward out of the fight zone is a different matter. I draw the line at that kind of stupidness.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 28, 2018 10:46AM
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    idk wrote: »

I think you misunderstood my post.

My criticism has nothing to do with the spider adds or the supposed "challenge" of the fight. I thought I had made that clear. But maybe I didn't.

It has to do with the fact this boss actively leaves the combat zone to reset the fight and its health. No boss should ever purposely leave the combat zone during the normal course of a fight. Yet that's exactly what this one does. It's annoying as all get out - especially when your DPS sucks and shred the spiders and you have to spend the next forever struggling to keep the boss from resetting itself.

If they want to make it take a long a long time when the adds die, fine. I think it's dumb considering how easily they die and don't respond to taunts - but fine, i can deal with that. But having the boss actively seek to reset the fight by continuously running backward out of the fight zone is a different matter. I draw the line at that kind of stupidness.

Yes, I agree. She's one of those bosses that fears you and then moves away after doing so. This obviously causes her to move out of the small combat window of the fight zone and potentially reset herself. This has frustrated me a couple times. And as you say, her pet adds do not respond to taunts (at least on Xbox1)....you just get the "Target is Immune" notification when you try to taunt them so half the time they run free if you do not Talon them. Poorly designed boss fight, and particularly painful when you have PUGs that actually want to fight this boss instead of jumping off the waterfall to skip. When I'm doing this with a pre-made group and we need to kill that boss on Vet (undaunted leveling is really the only reason why) it's never an issue because of proper communication, but with PUGs it can be very prolonged battle.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Fungal Grotto II several times recently and they seemed to have fixed this annoying issue.

So I just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU. This used to drive me nuts.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, she's bugged like that. But generally, that bug should never be seen if mechanics is done right on this boss.

Also, contrary to what said above - I don't think that those spiders are actually tauntable. If they're following tank, it's just a coincidence; from observation, they're just targeting random party member and then switching targets from time to time, so whoever they're targeting should kite them away from the boss.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, she's bugged like that. But generally, that bug should never be seen if mechanics is done right on this boss.

Also, contrary to what said above - I don't think that those spiders are actually tauntable. If they're following tank, it's just a coincidence; from observation, they're just targeting random party member and then switching targets from time to time, so whoever they're targeting should kite them away from the boss.

They don't respond to taunts, at least not to pierce armor anyway.

I'm not sure if this was a bug or part of the actual boss design because she used to run backwards after using fear. It seemed intentional to me. But I've done Fungal Grotto II several times recently and it appears she no longer does that. So maybe the developers programmed her to stop doing it, for which I am grateful. It was pretty stupid before.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    @John_Falstaff is correct. The spiders follow a random person. There is also a dark 'debuff' marker on the person with aggro like in MoL with the cats.
  • anathemort
    anathemort
    ✭✭
    They did fix the issue where she resets, but the tank can also keep her relatively stationary by taunting and moving to the rock wall on the right, sometimes behind the rocks if necessary to get her to run over to see the tank. Whoever the spiders chase should kite them around, 10m or so from the boss to reduce AoE damage.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @John_Falstaff is correct. The spiders follow a random person. There is also a dark 'debuff' marker on the person with aggro like in MoL with the cats.

A tank that can root can hold the spiders away. DKs and wardens can do this.