The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Steam is dishonest

Tamisan
Tamisan
✭✭✭✭
I purchased ESO from Bethesda before release. Later, I added it to my Steam account and just recently got a Steam gift card specifically to buy Crowns.Turns out I cannot use Steam credit to buy Crowns because I didn't originally buy ESO though Steam--they want me to purchase the game all over again! Steam is using foul tricks to get people to purchase the same game multiple times. If you can add a program to your library, you should be able to apply items for that program. These restrictions are artificial and dishonest. Steam's applying Credit only to copies purchased from them is ridiculous. Bethesda should insist that Steam fully support their software whether purchased or added to the Steam Library. I'm loyal to ESO but furious with Steam right now.
I know now what I was born to do.
―Martin Septim
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s not a trick... they have no way to access your account through the Bethesda launcher. If they did that would be a pretty huge security breech.

Adding ESO to your library only enables the steam overlay, it doesn’t link your account to Steam in any way. To link a Steam ESO account you have to own the game through Steam.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, Steam sells crowns that work with games bought through Steam. Games linked to Steam, but not bought through Steam don't count. Because the accounts are different.

Is it just not clear that linking your not-bought-through-Steam game to Steam doesn't count for the purposes of buying crowns?
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/450485/how-do-you-let-steam-sell-crowns-so-irresponsibly-i-have-lost-21000-crowns-buying-at-steam#latest

Check the image in that thread. ESO on steam. There is no linking games to steam, only enabling steam to launch and allow overlay of 3rd party programs.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone else also touched on it here, but Zenimax (eso is not a Bethesda game) cannot force steam to do anything. It is a security issue that prevents the two from being linked. Neither company has any interest in giving the other that kind of access...
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The two account can be linked, but only if you bought through the official ESO website first, or via disk. You can buy the game through steam, and upon downloading their launcher and launching the game for the first time you’ll have an option to link the steam launcher account to a standard account.

If you bought any crowns through steam, then all of them will be applied to your standard account now that it’s linked. It’s thankfully a very inexpensive fix, as you can grab the base game from steam for about $15
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This isn't rocket science. Failure to read and understand terms does not translate into poor or unethical business practices.

It's made pretty clear the difference between adding a non-Steam game (which is how you had to do it in the first place) and a Steam purchased product.

You bought a Honda and can't figure out why the Chevy dealership won't honor the warranty. Come on?
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS