Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you feel that there is a lack of challenge and climax in the overland content (enemies, combat)?

Ash_In_My_Sujamma
Ash_In_My_Sujamma
✭✭✭✭✭
The other day I was doing some overland quests in a dlc area and I was taking my time trying to get into the plot of the quest. What I realised eventually though was that I could not get immersed into the story because of one thing. How easy the npcs were dying and how little threat they posed to me. I had to pull multiple groups of npcs just to get the slightest feeling of challenge. But I said to myself "Ok, those are nameless grunts so they are supposed to be killed that way". But then we came to the final boss of the quest
(It was the first major quest of the Wrothgar questline, the one where you assist King Kurog and the Alchemist through the old Breton fortress which is under siege. The final boss was the leader of the winterborns Urfon Ice-Heart
. I should mention here that the quest itself is vely good and the anticipation of the final battle is very nicely built. But my anticipation led to nothing but the sound of a Betty Netch when I killed the boss in 4 seconds... It was so so so so anticlimactic and I was very dissapointed. I didn't even wear pve gear, it was all impenetrable pvp gear and my cp were set for pvp as well.
So in conclusion, I realised that eso has reached to a point where the main character, you, has become larger than the world and that is not necessarily a good thing. There is no danger, no challenge, no feeling of adventure. Well there is but they deflate so fast that they leave you with a sense of disappointment.
So, my question is whether or not you feel the lack of challenge and climax in the overland content, which leads to the absennce of the feeling of adventure and the breaking of immersion, and why? Thank you for taking time to state your opinion!

Do you feel that there is a lack of challenge and climax in the overland content (enemies, combat)? 20 votes

Yes
60%
VuronAsh_In_My_SujammaAliyavanaMattT1988casparianEverstormvesselwiththepestleoopsidoodlesrewjackqbitKhajiitFelixSpeggethus 12 votes
No
30%
sarahvhoffb14_ESOgeezerychrisp51 Misterlp910MissNetVinterskaldPanWriter 6 votes
Other
10%
Turelusidk 2 votes
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I can light attack everything dead. But I don’t generally associate the game with climaxing. I’ll have to keep the details to myself for reasons I can’t discuss due to moderation.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I tend to use vet trials and other vet arenas for my PvE challenge. The tiered difficulty of the game makes sense and is fairly common in MMORPGs these days.

This list is basically the tiered difficulty of the game from easier to more challenging. It seems pretty much by design.
    • Overworld
    • delves
    • normal dungeons
    • world bosses
    • vet dungeons
    • normal trials
    • vet DLC dungeons
    • vet trials
    • vet HM trials
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Yes, but I am also a four year veteran with max CP and perfect gear.

Find anyone new to the game and that overland content can still kick their butt. I want ZOS to find a way to bring the challenge back for us veterans, but I don't want them to screw new players at the same time.

Also I want to have the option for easy content like now for when playing a tank/healer. I don't want to return to the days of VR zones where you can't clear the content with a tank unless you invest serious time. Trolls were insane for a tank to solo back then, not out of fear of death but out of the HP grind from your low damage.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Returned recently after a 4 year break and it's gotten a little ridiculous from where it was.

Started a new character.

When I left, target dummies didn't exist so we practiced rotations and builds on the giants and mammoths in the Rift. Now, 3 shots and they're dead.

Running through a delve and suddenly get the achievement for killing the boss before realizing you were even fighting the boss because he takes one more hit than a trash mob.

My favorite thing that makes me laugh is the dialog that some bosses are supposed to have but that normally goes like this... "I've been wait..." ... dead.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, in some of the contact I actually ended up fighting a boss thinking it was a trash mob, didn't notice the difference. Guess it's just older content, power creep issues.