Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What's makes a good dungeon experience for you?

Dr3sden
Dr3sden
✭✭✭
What makes it feel fun?
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Running with a group that's not in a big hurry, puts fun ahead of 'perfect play', and they don't rage quit or become insulting if you wipe.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    When everybody knows what he is doing and it goes fast and smooth.

And to @Hippie4927 Why can't fun be perfect play?
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I can run with friends and we have the freedom to talk whilst playing the mechanics.

I like a challenge and don't want Fungal Grotto levels of brain dead, but I also don't want every dungeon to require the focus of a Veteran Hard Mode Trial. Something in-between those.

Design wise I like interesting mechanics which are a little more than tank and spank, and I despise rage timers and one-shot mechanics and they're not interesting gameplay.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When everybody knows what he is doing and it goes fast and smooth.

And to @Hippie4927 Why can't fun be perfect play?

It can be if you have a 'perfect' group but, if you don't, it can still be fun with the right people.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun is the default to me. I tank in group finder tons and I almost always have fun. Three things can ruin it.

1. Team DPS is so low that when I pile up 8 bad guys, 30-40 seconds later I’m still trying to keep 8 bad guys piled up.

2. Team members using speed buffs to rush ahead of me to pull groups first. I’m all for people speeding up a slow tank. But we can’t compete with speed buffs and sprinting, and still arrive to the fight with enough stam to do our job.

3. Jerks. Be nice to everybody. Their competence at a game doesn’t determine their value as a human being.
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The time spent with friends in a dungeon that's hard and takes a few tries to finish. Ultimately the feeling of achieving something together is what gives me that warm rewarding feeling, the feeling of doing it together.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on whether it's a PUG or a premade group; if it's the former, then just everyone performing their role is enough to make it a good run, as there have been too many fake tanks/healers lately (that oftentimes become unpleasant when called on it). If it's the latter, then a smooth run, with extra chat banter is great in my books. And even if it's not smooth, everything is more fun with light-hearted conversation and mood. Also, although most runs these days are usually with 1 tank/3 DD configurations, having a healer in group who's throwing bubbles/shards makes me particularly happy :smile:
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the run is reasonably smooth and the people are friendly and easygoing, it's fun for me.

Not sure what i dislike the most though, playing with trashtalkers flaming everyone or the run being so messy, poor dps not listening etc to such a degree that it takes hours.

Combination of both d-bags in party and a messy run, is the worse though. You just can't salvage that, because the d-bag interrupting with insults and stressing everyone, prevents you from making a strategy and explaining properly. In most cases I just leave at that point.
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    Fun is when I'm running with a few of my guildmates.

We all have different characters for different roles and know how to play all of them properly. We help each other out providing buffs and making sure that we are an optimized group. We're not the best out there but we get the job done quickly and efficiently.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    (...)
    3. Jerks. Be nice to everybody. Their competence at a game doesn’t determine their value as a human being.

Sometimes you wonder if they even are human beings, determined by their competence. But don't worry, I have to face such people mostly in other games.
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on mood.

I really like taking new people that don't do endgame stuff into vet DLC. Any CP level. Think my lowest was a level 90 something through fang lair recently. Got a level 170 his CoT hat.

Otherwise I like being in my premade group and doing HM vet DLC. Doing Scalecaller HM/skin was an all time high for me, then doing it twice more after that to get others their scalecaller skin.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There’s a measure of fun in progression.

First learning a new dungeon on normal is great.

Then vet, can be tedious.

It can take several runs before feeling really confident on Vet.

Once you feel like Vet is on lockdown, it gets stagnant. Then it’s time to start working for hardmodes, skins, motif farming and other achievements.

• yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    91wIq6AsqdL._SX425_.jpg
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭

This. I like this as a motto.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • SupremeRissole
    SupremeRissole
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good tank
    High DPS
    Everyone knowing mechanics.
    = Fast run
    = :)

Edit:
    As far as the dungeon goes, challenging/punishing mechanics where everyone has a job to do.
    e.g HM CoS, HM scalecaller, HM fang lair
    Edited by SupremeRissole on December 25, 2018 2:16PM
  • SvariBK
    SvariBK
    ✭✭
    Me tanking
    3 dds
    150k grp dps doing all hardmodes without a healer and no death. Smooth af nice banter in discord while doing the dungeons without looking 😂👌
    BK-22 PC EU Player
    Tank & DD
  • StrangeForce001
    A nice smooth run with friends is always a fun time. However, there are moments where I’ll PUG a DLC dungeon and end up helping a new group get through it. Most of the time they are cooperative and attentive as I explain mechanics and recommend skills or gear to make things easier. Sure, we get some wipes.. They stumble.. I’ll do my best to pick them up and help them move forward. When we come to end, the crumpled corpse of the last boss lies on the ground, I quietly smile as I hear the combined cheers of victory and the joy in their voice when they pick up their first monster helm. I find that to be fun too.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the person who queued as a tank is actually a tank. I'm really tired of getting into a pug and the "tank" is a DPS and everything chases me all over the place, especially the boss. I'm at the point that I won't pug anymore. Guild runs or no run. Enough is enough.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the person who queued as a tank is actually a tank. I'm really tired of getting into a pug and the "tank" is a DPS and everything chases me all over the place, especially the boss. I'm at the point that I won't pug anymore. Guild runs or no run. Enough is enough.

Normal or vet?

PC - EU
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the group moves like clockwork, interrupting dangerous enemies, automatically reacting to boss mechanics, and doing just the right amount of damage.
    giphy.gif
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on mood:

If I am with experienced players difficult content that makes us wipe over and over, and when we finally get the kill the relief <SC/Fang Lair HM were like that>.

If I am with a mixed of new + experienced player<s> getting a newer players through difficult content even if it just regular vet mode. I thought it was great when we got a CP 80 player through multiple vet DLC <Fang lair etc>. Not HM, but still much more fun to show more difficult side of the game rather than Classic in which it all melts.

I do think aside from bugs VMHK HM is really nicely made. Mechanics aren't too random <though they do add a touch of random with the slot machine if it doesn't bug out and only spawn 3>, and can be negotiated without super high DPS. It is difficult still with each role Tank / non tank getting a feeling they are doing something, so I have come to like that one a lot.
    Edited by karekiz on January 9, 2019 1:15PM
  • snipnigth
    snipnigth
    Soul Shriven
    Been able to sell my unwanted loot to any player i want, but you cant do that here.

I like a challenge, the bosses must be hard, maybe some puzzles that you have to work together to make it, Dramatic entrances from the bosses are very cool, the dungeons cant be too long or they will feel like a chore. One of my favorite dungeons is Falkreath hold, very fun bosses, but its not that hard of a dungeon so it can turn boring.

But seriously i have stopped playing dungeons because i cant sell any of the sets i get, and when i want a set i must grind a dungeon i dont wanna grind to get it, its so sad having to disconstruct all those sets when no body wants them.
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fun for me personally in a dungeon requires:

1. A challenge that requires my full focus and attention in order to immerse myself: VET DLC is the right level of challenge for me when executed with 4 players that are each well capable of their own core role. Anything less than VET DLC I can do while watching tv at the same time and isn't fun for me. It's just mindless braindead action

2. Everyone knowing and doing their core role job so it becomes a smooth experience. Doesn't have to be and never will be perfect. It's still fun if people die in front of me and I have to stretch my capabilities and human in order to compensate for their mistakes or they for mine. I don't mind if this causes us to wipe 5 times before killing a boss because of human error but it is not fun to run a dungeon with clueless/incapable players in the group (fake tank, fake healer, zero dps) as it kills the experience completely as well as the final outcome.

3. People making an active effort to understand the dungeon mechanics and execute proper tactics in order to overcome them. There's nothing more annoying and fun breaking than having 1 person in a super low-dps group that doesn't break Drodda's suffocation spell (causing her to heal back to full health forever) at the very end of veteran Direfrost Keep. You can only pray that eventually that person leaves, gets vote-kicked or ultimately just leave the group yourself accepting that you basically just completed the entire dungeon without getting the rewards.