The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How did you learn to play the game?

Dr3sden
Dr3sden
✭✭✭
Did you use YouTube, a guide, guild, mentor...the tutorial or something else?
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YouTube videos by Deltia, Gilliam, Alcast, Despotic, Fextralife.

Tons of dueling, guildmates, friends list.
  • Dr3sden
    Dr3sden
    ✭✭✭
    Skoomah wrote: »
    YouTube videos by Deltia, Gilliam, Alcast, Despotic, Fextralife.

Tons of dueling, guildmates, friends list.

How did you use friendlist? Did you ask them questions and such?
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I learned a lot just by playing, I asked questions in guild when necessary, and googled many things.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UESP Wiki.
    These official forums.
    Taking my time in game and progressing at my own pace.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mistake lot of new players is they rush it... If it is your first character take your time.
    I say progress at your own pace to at least CP 160 before grinding...

That being said I tend to hate to aks uneducated questions, unless totally stumped so I learned on my own for a bit and then joined a newbie friendly guild. Maybe I got lucky but there were some ppl in that guild who were extremely helpful.

In general my approach to games is... try and figure it out myself, do some research and then ask questions.

This was a few months after launch, so I would say there was a lot less content in terms of websites and videos out or maybe I wasn't looking. I wasn't aware of the gamer content creation community as much as I am now.

I also find there is always people willing to help new people, I am in a new ppl friendly guild and I make sure to try and pass on some of knowledge I have picked up.

For totally new ppl there is now much resources, such as my friend's @Dottzgaming who has a complete beginner guide (It is lengthy but it is also time stamped in the description so you can jump to what you need to know.)

https://youtu.be/omwKCyjejd4
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVE? By playing with friends. I very much played ESO like it was "Skyrim with friends". We figured out what worked for us and were happy with that. Once we wanted to try harder content, we looked at the forums for advice, but mostly its been just playing with friends, seeing what worked for us, and what we needed to improve.

PVP? I PUGed in Cyrodiil for a while before I was lucky enough to find a PVP guild willing to pick me up and teach me to play with them. And that's how I became a PVPer.
  • Delsanab14_ESO
    Delsanab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just played it and did the quests, then I saw some zone comments about their ideas and contrasted them with my ideas.

I also decided to completely be reviled by weaving and avoid it as much as I can to prove that it's horrible excuse of lazy design and I won't fall into the trap of animation cancels or mastering weaving. I manage to do 25-30k dps when I try and I am fine with that. Maybe I'll try some new skills and see what else I can do above that.

I have played a lot of games, so the mechanics, buttons that do things, and idea of self-learning and exploration isn't a hard thing for me to deal with.

I'm often surprised when people do not know what things do, but of course I never judge them harshly or think ill of them for it.

Edit: I don't like the idea of mimicking what others are doing and so I do not use videos or guides or such if I can avoid it.
    Edited by Delsanab14_ESO on December 16, 2018 4:12AM
    Account: @Delsana
    FREE CRAFTING (NA PC) SIDENOTE: Hel'phaer is a Grand Master Crafter with almost every motif (excluding Buoyant, Meridian, Coldsnap, Grim Harlequin, Tsaesci, Pellitine, and Elder Argonian because can't afford it) and will craft attractive quality and visually appealing training gear or combat sets for those interested. FREE gear for players below CP 160 (equivalent level of 210), and paid gear in some form from those CP 160 or higher.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned from lost of dying and Cor and deltea videos
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a mixture of everything. I used to watch deltia and some others before they stopped playing.

I definitely learn alot by myself with my first class, even though there's still lots that I haven't touched the surface yet after all these time.

My advice to new players; take your time and learn the class you are playing. Don't worry about flavour of the month when it can all go away in a patch or two. Endgame started when you create that char and play it.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came into this more from an oblivion type playstyle and was ok going through quests etc. Coming into dungeons was a whole other story. I was awful, I died lots and did no damage. The guild I randomly ended up in was really bad as well in terms of feedback and attitude so that created an overall dislike the for the game.

I took a break for 2 or 3 months, came back and tried queuing as DD but that was taking ages so respec my imperial Templar as a healer, got a build for skills and gear online and went from there. I could heal a lot better than I could DD at that point and someone from a random dungeon group invited me to their guild. I learned from there how to DD, learned more about rotations, skills and overall group play and that was the biggest help I ever got.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned how the combat system worked while leveling then more while doing grouped content. Back in the early days of this game a normal NPC mob in a vet dungeon could one shot a player that was not paying attention.

For end game PvE builds I tended to look at proven end game builds and discussed with other raiders. I think AA and HRC were added to the game about a month after launch so we got raiding pretty quickly.
  • DKsUnite
    DKsUnite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For pvp, dueling
    Vyr Cor | Magicka Dragonknight | DC
    Vir Cor | Stamina Dragonknight | DC

Latest Videos:
    Magicka Dragonknight: Vyr Cor | "A Dragon's Fury" | Magicka Dragonknight PvP
    Stamina Dragonknight: Vir Cor | "Heathen" | Stamina Dragonknight PvP

Youtube: CorGaming
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forums, UESP, Fextra, etc etc then helped my mates learn.

It's crazy how little is explained in game, in particular for console players. And very few of them come on the forum.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Delsanab14_ESO
    Delsanab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read this as USPS and was trying to imagine how the postal service assisted you.
    Account: @Delsana
    FREE CRAFTING (NA PC) SIDENOTE: Hel'phaer is a Grand Master Crafter with almost every motif (excluding Buoyant, Meridian, Coldsnap, Grim Harlequin, Tsaesci, Pellitine, and Elder Argonian because can't afford it) and will craft attractive quality and visually appealing training gear or combat sets for those interested. FREE gear for players below CP 160 (equivalent level of 210), and paid gear in some form from those CP 160 or higher.
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    Played a lot and listened to in game players who knew what they were doing.

Then I watched some YouTube videos, Deltia for beginner stuff and Alcast for meta-chasing. But practice brings perfect, or how you say it :)
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Written guides on line (in depth guides that included common and obscure game mechanics). I learned as much as I could about the game, mechanics, different classes, races, skills, abilities, passives, etc. I spent a great deal of time reading/learning.

Watched various video guides from content creators that were popular back then (Sypher pk (before he went to the 'dark side'), Fengrush, and Deltia ... to name a few).

Pvp zone chat - when we had locked factions, players in zone chat seemed a lot more helpful in offering advice/tips

Watching really good pvp'ers - when IC initially released there were many times I went to the districts just to watch really good pvp'ers fight each other (1v1 or 2v1) (while I remained hidden).

I set various pvp goals that were realistic for me given my level of experience in the game. No matter how many times I died, I always had a good attitude about it -- I tried to figure out ways I could improve. Lots of trial and error, and, over time, I gradually improved.

Experience - back then it was common for medium-large size groups to met up on the battle field with everyone automatically pairing off in 1v1 and 2v1 fights (unless you were a healer - they constantly moved around while throwing out heals). Siege was primarily used against keeps, but if you did get pelted with siege, it usually took the form of oil pots or caltraps. And, back then, it was generally accepted that the way someone 'got gud' included dying a lot AND learning from their mistakes. The more you put yourself out there, the better you would eventually become.

Edited by Maryal on December 16, 2018 11:07AM
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few videos here and there and mostly just dying and dying and more dying. Some nice people taught me stuff in dungoen to get better there and some nice people in pvp either yelled at me for doing annoying stuff or gave me advice to get better.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PVE - A couple of people helped set me on the right track, and by that I mean "not flailing around randomly" and "yes, you should have an actual build, not random gear." I never went far with PVE, but like real life, a lot of learning comes down to sharing knowledge and practice. The noob asking dumb questions won't be a noob forever; be nice.

PVP - Die a lot. Avoid low-bar play like pvdooring keeps and Xv1. Fight players better than me. Fight with players better than me. Watch better players fight each other. Watch good players' gameplay videos. Ask questions when something kicks your a** and you don't know why. Try most of the classes, at least some, to get a better feel for their skills. Take on fights I'm not sure I can win. Also, since I'm slow, mentally catalog players and groups so I know their builds and tactics, which helps me anticipate what people will do.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Following the in-game tips (somewhat lacking as we know); researching online articles on build and gameplay; by playing the game and trying out different builds and skill combinations. Still learning, btw.

Rather averse to Youtube, but I did watch a video on animation cancelling.
  • Nolic1
    Nolic1
    ✭✭✭
    Iplayed the game for a year before looking anything up and it was another player who told me about Deltia and I started there and sense then started doing my own thing and now I am one of those people who use youtube to teach others the game. But Everyone starts somewhere and most start by learning the game first then watching videos to learn more from others.
    Sherman from Sherman's Gaming

Youtube content creator that is dedicated to the Casual and Roleplay community for News, Lets Talks, Guides, Help and character builds.

Youtube channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Primarily by playing. I learn by doing if there is a physical component involved. Also by consulting my husband, who is very much a game theorist, and watching the occasional video.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    observing PUGs mostly and reading this forum
    Edited by mocap on December 17, 2018 9:21AM
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just played it and did the quests, then I saw some zone comments about their ideas and contrasted them with my ideas.

I also decided to completely be reviled by weaving and avoid it as much as I can to prove that it's horrible excuse of lazy design and I won't fall into the trap of animation cancels or mastering weaving. I manage to do 25-30k dps when I try and I am fine with that. Maybe I'll try some new skills and see what else I can do above that.

I have played a lot of games, so the mechanics, buttons that do things, and idea of self-learning and exploration isn't a hard thing for me to deal with.

I'm often surprised when people do not know what things do, but of course I never judge them harshly or think ill of them for it.

Edit: I don't like the idea of mimicking what others are doing and so I do not use videos or guides or such if I can avoid it.

special snowflake spotted
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Lifemocker
    Lifemocker
    ✭✭✭
    By hitting my head against a wall in vet Maelstrom. There I learned about sustain, survivability and damage. After that I started to learn about rotations from other players and how to improve my dps.
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undefwun wrote: »
    A mistake lot of new players is they rush it... If it is your first character take your time.
    I say progress at your own pace to at least CP 160 before grinding...

That being said I tend to hate to aks uneducated questions, unless totally stumped so I learned on my own for a bit and then joined a newbie friendly guild. Maybe I got lucky but there were some ppl in that guild who were extremely helpful.

In general my approach to games is... try and figure it out myself, do some research and then ask questions.

This was a few months after launch, so I would say there was a lot less content in terms of websites and videos out or maybe I wasn't looking. I wasn't aware of the gamer content creation community as much as I am now.

I also find there is always people willing to help new people, I am in a new ppl friendly guild and I make sure to try and pass on some of knowledge I have picked up.

For totally new ppl there is now much resources, such as my friend's @Dottzgaming who has a complete beginner guide (It is lengthy but it is also time stamped in the description so you can jump to what you need to know.)

https://youtu.be/omwKCyjejd4

<3
  • HallowedUndead
    I learned MOSTLY by myself, but i did learn a few things such as what a rotation is, how to make a 'decent' build, etc. But most of the core things for the game i learned just by playing
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first alone (and not very well), then with my guild mates as we played together. Later as guides and knowledge spreading become more open I read and watched what I could.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Kilcosu
    Kilcosu
    ✭✭✭
    I came from wow and at first I mostly leveled by myself doing quests through the zone (pretty much skyrim online)

got picked up by an endgame nightblade who mentored me through the ins and outs of gear sets/ rotation/ optimization.

made the decision at level 30 to go full tilt to cp160+ during last years new life double exp.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr3sden wrote: »
    Did you use YouTube, a guide, guild, mentor...the tutorial or something else?

It's takes 10000 hours of practice to become good at something

I've had so much practice at being a bad DPS I'm now the best bad DPS in the game
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I learned how the combat system worked while leveling then more while doing grouped content. Back in the early days of this game a normal NPC mob in a vet dungeon could one shot a player that was not paying attention.

Yep yep... I remember having to use a group to kill Doshia... lol