The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Permafrost needs a counter in Battlegrounds

jediodyn_ESO
jediodyn_ESO
✭✭✭✭
It's game breaking. The lack of snare and root immunity has turned this into a AE kill machine. Moves with the caster, does ridiculous damage, snares, stuns, protects.... can't block it, can't dodge it, cant stealth it...

Not to mention that you can stack it with ice stack effect for extra Christmas spirit. So what is the countermove to this ZOS? Who thought this was a "balanced" ultimate?

So constructive suggestions:

1) could you please, you know, update the broken balance aspects of the game more frequently than once every 3 months? Most other decent MMO games test their PvP and do balance updates bi-weekly or at least monthly.

2) Consider making this move either snare and stun OR do a ton of damage, but not both or
3) Make this move not follow the caster around.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8AZKWng.jpg
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can block the stun, just like old fissure.

You can use shuffle

You can do a whole lot to prevent them from coming into range.

This snare hate montra is weird because everyone hated swift.

New Nerf threads every week it seems
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The damage is meh. Let’s not exaggerate.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are more counters for Permafrost than there are for Dawnbreaker. Not only is the total damage on Permafrost generally lower than it is on Dawnbreaker, but it's spread out over 8 seconds and gives you a 3 second heads up that a stun is coming. Oh and Dawnbreaker is quite a bit cheaper. I really wish all the Stam Wardens that I run into were running their class Ultimate instead.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just break free and roll its not that bad and any ways it's the 3 dawnbreakers killing you not permafrost.
  • TrinityBreaker
    TrinityBreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FM & immov pots. Go to town.
    Ebonheart for life.
    Xbox NA
    I am Dog Star.

Khajiit Stam Sorc - Ji'saad Ranajiradh AR 30
    Khajiit Mag DK - Kesjhad
    Khajiit Magblade - Ji'sava Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamplar - Dro'haniAk'nir - AR 36
    Khajiit Stam Dk - Diego Ri'jhad - AR 49
    Khajiit Magplar - Dro'nara Ak'nir
    Khajiit StamBlade - Ri'artharr Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamden - Dro'hani Warbreaker
    Argonian Stam DK - Tiberius Demetros
    Khajiit Stamplar - Diëgo Ri'jhad
    Fat Khajiit Stam DK - Drö'hani Ak'nir/Dances-With-Alkosh
    Khajiit Magden - Arctic Mayhem

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Yeah permafrost sucks, that must be why every BGs and Cyro group, from duo to large scale uses it. It’s the worst. Huge AOE snare? Completely innefective. Stun after 3 ticks? Horrible. Damage mitigation? Take it or leave it. Solid damage ticks? Never hurt anyone.

Compared to EOTS it’s got a bigger radius, costs less, lasts longer, and provides three hugely beneficial effects. The damage doesn’t need a nerf, the mitigation is fine. But, the snare meta is out of control. And not everyone hated speed pots, only people who Xv1 or Zerged (it was a touch out of control but it was nerfed too much). The core issue is there are several very powerful AOE snare abilities ruling PvP right now and counterplay is lower than its ever been.
  • Aedrion
    Aedrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is something wrong with this skill. But in Cyrodiil, not BG's.

Personally, I think it's the fact that it offers too much all at once and that paired with several other skills wardens use in PvP, Permafrost is overperforming.

Perma itself is annoying but can be countered. However we don't see a warden running in with just this skill. It goes paired with shalks, proxy detonation and/or usually Steel Tornado.

Perma enables the use and landing of those other skills by slowing the opponent, then stunning them while also protecting yourself AND allies and dealing a good chunk of damage over long period of time. That is too much.

This skill will snare and stun entire groups with next to zero effort other than running into them, setting up very easy burst. Every decent guild runs multiple wardens and you will almost always see this skill on your death recap if you didn't have rapids or some other skill to un-snare you.

As above, this skill would serve being stationary or otherwise losing some duration and not buffing allies.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aedrion wrote: »
    There is something wrong with this skill. But in Cyrodiil, not BG's.

Personally, I think it's the fact that it offers too much all at once and that paired with several other skills wardens use in PvP, Permafrost is overperforming.

Perma itself is annoying but can be countered. However we don't see a warden running in with just this skill. It goes paired with shalks, proxy detonation and/or usually Steel Tornado.

Perma enables the use and landing of those other skills by slowing the opponent, then stunning them while also protecting yourself AND allies and dealing a good chunk of damage over long period of time. That is too much.

This skill will snare and stun entire groups with next to zero effort other than running into them, setting up very easy burst. Every decent guild runs multiple wardens and you will almost always see this skill on your death recap if you didn't have rapids or some other skill to un-snare you.

As above, this skill would serve being stationary or otherwise losing some duration and not buffing allies.

I would hate to see warden (or any class) lose viability (not so much Stam Warden but mag warden needs everything because it has so little by itself) because of Cyrodiil.

Cyrodiil has so much wrong with it, I'd rather balance around BGs
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Iki
    Iki
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be enough if they removed stun-component from permafrost-morph? They could make it stamina-morph and instead of stunning, give +8% max stamina when slotted, like northern storm give max magicka. That way both morphs would be balanced instead of other being superior choice for pvp for both stam-and mag-wardens and then wardens would have to use something else to actually stun targets.

Without stun in permafrost I would consider it good and balanced ultimate and not deserving nerf requests, as it costs 200 ultimate and deals very modest dmg, without major protection none would use it.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Snares/roots need a nerf. Plain and simple. Perma isn’t that OP imo because it’s a costly ult and doesn’t do much damage. It’s a utility. Only cancer in noCP because noCP is far more unbalanced than cp. since snares and roots are so overused with roll dodge/break free cp not being a thing and they cost like 5k to even use. So noCP is just a contest of who can snare/root/cc spam the most.
    Edited by frostz417 on December 16, 2018 3:30AM
  • Stratforge
    Stratforge
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is obviously overperforming.
    PC NA
    Xbox One NA (retired)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can block the stun, just like old fissure.

You can use shuffle

You can do a whole lot to prevent them from coming into range.

This snare hate montra is weird because everyone hated swift.

New Nerf threads every week it seems

It won't be fun till it's Elder Standing Online lol
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    There are more counters for Permafrost than there are for Dawnbreaker. Not only is the total damage on Permafrost generally lower than it is on Dawnbreaker, but it's spread out over 8 seconds and gives you a 3 second heads up that a stun is coming. Oh and Dawnbreaker is quite a bit cheaper. I really wish all the Stam Wardens that I run into were running their class Ultimate instead.

Not a good comparison as they’re entirely different skills. Dawnbreaker is not an 8 meter radius AOE that offers major protection. So the different damage type makes sense. Yes the damage from perma is spread out but it also adds a ton of defense during that allowing you to go all out offensive. And the stun happens regardless of shuffle, so if you get snares even a little, 3 ticks happens real fast, never mind if you’re lagging. Honestly permafrost is every bit as effective as DBoS within their appropriate contexts. Imo permafrost is way more annoying to fight against. DBoS burst can be survived pretty easily, and the break free is reliable. Permafrost with the snare and then stun and huge radius pretty much just bogs you down until you’re dead. And you need to focus on your resources into casting shuffle, healing, breaking free, and that’s only if you can stay ahead of the caster which with the snare is very difficult to do. And stamwardens do use it. Ever been hit with permafrost and spwin to win? I’ll take DBoS any day.
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe, you know make major expedition an actual buff? Maybe have snare immunity on actual useful skills outside of FM?
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd much rather fight a Stam Warden using this than Dawnbreaker.
  • Aerem
    Aerem
    ✭✭✭
    Iki wrote: »
    Would it be enough if they removed stun-component from permafrost-morph? They could make it stamina-morph and instead of stunning, give +8% max stamina when slotted, like northern storm give max magicka. That way both morphs would be balanced instead of other being superior choice for pvp for both stam-and mag-wardens and then wardens would have to use something else to actually stun targets.

Without stun in permafrost I would consider it good and balanced ultimate and not deserving nerf requests, as it costs 200 ultimate and deals very modest dmg, without major protection none would use it.

Because stamwarden needs more damage or stuns available to them...

#mDK Masterrace
    #NerfDragonblood
    #NerfmDK

Aerem Incendium l mDK
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    wheem_ESO wrote: »

Not a good comparison as they’re entirely different skills. Dawnbreaker is not an 8 meter radius AOE that offers major protection. So the different damage type makes sense. Yes the damage from perma is spread out but it also adds a ton of defense during that allowing you to go all out offensive. And the stun happens regardless of shuffle, so if you get snares even a little, 3 ticks happens real fast, never mind if you’re lagging. Honestly permafrost is every bit as effective as DBoS within their appropriate contexts. Imo permafrost is way more annoying to fight against. DBoS burst can be survived pretty easily, and the break free is reliable. Permafrost with the snare and then stun and huge radius pretty much just bogs you down until you’re dead. And you need to focus on your resources into casting shuffle, healing, breaking free, and that’s only if you can stay ahead of the caster which with the snare is very difficult to do. And stamwardens do use it. Ever been hit with permafrost and spwin to win? I’ll take DBoS any day.

DboS burst can only be survived if the player doing it is terribad and tries to do it to you while you are at 100% or you are crutching on CP. In BGs the only/best counter is to stun the warden when you see him activate Beatles and skedaddle. But he can still chase you down and still has Dbos.

Perma only gets you when you are already heavily entangled in fights with other stuff and taking other damage. Most of the times that I can't effectively counter permafrost or northern star it is because I didn't know I was actually in it because the graphic isn't very obvious when you are in the heat of group play. Add a telegraph marker on the ground like Eots and proxy det and the ultimate will be much less useful offensively, but still have its purpose of area denial and defensive use.
    Edited by NuarBlack on December 16, 2018 5:22PM
  • SilverPaws
    SilverPaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jesus christ, you people must complain about everything... No the ulti is not overpowered.. Avoiding the full dmg from ulti is the easiest thing you can do, just dodge roll from it or use mist, or FM or streak.
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask yourself: is it the permafrost or is it the permafrost + all the other snares/immobilize spam going on?

Permafrost itself is fine, yea the aoe major protection is strong but for 200 ult it should be. If anything permafrost should have its snare reduced and cost reduced as well.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nerf threads are bad. And ults that cost 200 should give a lot of value. Regardless permafrost wins fights more than any other skill in BGs right now (maybe ice wall has a hand in it) so OP has a point.
    PCNA

• jediodyn_ESO
    jediodyn_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alternatively, instead of “nerfing” permafrost, give us back the (much) longer snare immunity duration on shuffle/fm.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, the only thing it needs is an actual warning indicator like EOTS. A giant red circle that tells you a harmful effect is here. Because, more often than not, it is incredibly difficult to see the effect if a lot of action is going on.
  • Get_Packed
    Get_Packed
    ✭✭✭
    It's game breaking. The lack of snare and root immunity has turned this into a AE kill machine. Moves with the caster, does ridiculous damage, snares, stuns, protects.... can't block it, can't dodge it, cant stealth it...

Not to mention that you can stack it with ice stack effect for extra Christmas spirit. So what is the countermove to this ZOS? Who thought this was a "balanced" ultimate?

1) could you please, you know, update the broken balance aspects of the game more frequently than once every 3 months? Most other decent MMO games test their PvP and do balance updates bi-weekly or at least monthly.

2) Consider making this move either snare and stun OR do a ton of damage, but not both or

I play a magden that is usually top deeps in bg’s with a high mmr and I dont even use perma frost. Is it good, yes. Is it game breaking, nope.

Situational awareness is your friend.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should use miats cc tracker. Let’s you know when your affected by perma negate standard etc.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get_Packed wrote: »

I play a magden that is usually top deeps in bg’s with a high mmr and I dont even use perma frost. Is it good, yes. Is it game breaking, nope.

Situational awareness is your friend.

Magden most definitely does not need any Nerfs.

Which is what I think you're saying and why I quoted you :)
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The counter is Forward Momentum. If you’re not a 2h stam build, you’re doing BG wrong. For this patch anyway.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called rapid maneuvers and purge. There's something to be said about the viability of support builds like PVP tanks running these to keep the groups moving. Not everybody needs to be the kill master so if you can settle for not getting the top fragger then consider these options on a support build.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Permafrost is absolutely not broken. If someone solo throws up permafrost on you, there are tons of ways to avoid dying. In a group setting, they are coordinating the root with other skills.

Any group in BG's that fights a premade running Permafrost is going to die a miserable death, it requires ultimate level counters, as they are also using ultimates.

You either need to negate, Atro Stun / Block, Resto Ult, or bomb their warden or one of their low hp DPS ulti users. But counters absolutely exist, and really only one player on your team is necessary to counter it, either with a negate or with a resto ult.