The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

No free crates for new crate season ??

• Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're always testing what works best. A few free crates gets us hooked. Too many and some of us stop buying them.

I think I failed the test, buying 15 crates and getting nothing I specifically wanted except gems. I got something like 144, and spent 200 on the two skins. I think that works out to $25 per skin.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're not losing out on money because of free crates. They're losing out on money because they're not selling things people want.

Internally, I bet that's their excuse, though. "Sales are down because our experimentation with X wasn't as successful as anticipated" rather than a more honest "Sales are down because we're not offering what players want."

Very likely. Logically you stop giving away things then watch to see what sales are made to give a truer picture if it's things people want.

Maybe if they offer a small cache of gems instead of a crate, takes a while to build up enough but possibly encourage a few sales for those that want to get something faster or chance the RNG for it.
    Edited by Grimm13 on December 10, 2018 10:56AM
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complainers say "crown crates are a scam, gambling", but whine when they don't get them for free !?!
  • Vudokan
    Vudokan
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS are making the same error in logic that the RIAA used to make about music downloads. Basically, that # of 'illegal' downloads = # of lost sales. When in reality, the people downloading x album are often people who would never pay for that album if there was no other way of obtaining it except through purchase.

The same is true for crates. People logging in and killing something for free crates does not equal potential lost revenue on crate sales. Just because users enjoy the free crates, that doesn't mean those same users will buy crates just because they're no longer given out for free. Most people will just go on as they did before there were such things as free crates, playing the game happily without the thing they no longer get for free. If anything, happy that they no longer have the hassle of logging in every day because the login rewards are crap, or because there is no free crate event.

Since the Xanmeer crates have become available I have seen hardly anyone with the mounts, costumes, skins available from those crates, whereas normally when they have a free crate offer these items are everywhere in-game. Purchasing behaviour isn't going to fill the gap left by free crate offers.

Paradoxically, when they offered free crates I was more likely to buy the occasional crate in order to get enough gems to top off my savings for the mcguffin I wanted. Now I don't buy any crates at all. I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.
    Edited by Vudokan on December 10, 2018 8:41PM
  • Atallanta
    Atallanta
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vudokan wrote: »
    ZOS are making the same error in logic that the RIAA used to make about music downloads. Basically, that # of 'illegal' downloads = # of lost sales. When in reality, the people downloading x album are often people who would never pay for that album if there was no other way of obtaining it except through purchase.

The same is true for crates. People logging in and killing something for free crates does not equal potential lost revenue on crate sales. Just because users enjoy the free crates, that doesn't mean those same users will buy crates just because they're no longer given out for free. Most people will just go on as they did before there were such things as free crates, playing the game happily without the thing they no longer get for free. If anything, happy that they no longer have the hassle of logging in every day because the login rewards are crap, or because there is no free crate event.

Since the Xanmeer crates have become available I have seen hardly anyone with the mounts, costumes, skins available from those crates, whereas normally when they have a free crate offer these items are everywhere in-game. Purchasing behaviour isn't going to fill the gap left by free crate offers.

Paradoxically, when they offered free crates I was more likely to buy the occasional crate in order to get enough gems to top off my savings for the mcguffin I wanted. Now I don't buy any crates at all. I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.

This is exactly how I feel
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »
    Complainers say "crown crates are a scam, gambling", but whine when they don't get them for free !?!

The same people? Really. :neutral:
    Vudokan wrote: »

I think that this is overthinking the situation.

They are not handing out free crates right now because they are handing out other free stuff. Among other things, we get gold, AP, a DLC, pets, and a mount. They likely view all this free stuff as a "zero sum", meaning that if they add something, they have to take something away. Right now, they want to hand out other things, so they took away the free crates.

If you have history with the game, step back and take note. In the first couple of years of the game, they gave us nothing for free. We even had to work for the loyalty pets. Now, they tossing free stuff our way constantly. Literally, daily.

Personally, I think that this will backfire on them.

Anyway, I expect that if Crown Crates are what you want, they will return after the new year starts.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klasen wrote: »
    I just spent 179.99 on crates, gave me 64 of them and 806 crown gems I'm at. I can't believe I did that so I could get gems for the frost cat mount this month.

This why crown gem locked mounts are wrong ZOS
  • Vudokan
    Vudokan
    ✭✭✭
    They are not handing out free crates right now because they are handing out other free stuff. Among other things, we get gold, AP, a DLC, pets, and a mount. They likely view all this free stuff as a "zero sum", meaning that if they add something, they have to take something away. Right now, they want to hand out other things, so they took away the free crates.

*Citation needed.

Prior to this month and the Xanmeer crates, they always included a giveaway of at least a few crates when a new season was released. They included crates in every single month since they started the login rewards program. The fact that they have not given any free crates this month for login rewards and not given any free crates for the new crate season release is a deviance from their previous behaviour that seems directly related to crates in specific rather than giveaways in general.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They want us to buy them.

In their dreams.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Delsanab14_ESO
    Delsanab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly the free crates made me consider getting crates and sometimes I did. No free crates makes me hesitant to spend any real money rather than gold on crates.
    Account: @Delsana
    FREE CRAFTING (NA PC) SIDENOTE: Hel'phaer is a Grand Master Crafter with almost every motif (excluding Buoyant, Meridian, Coldsnap, Grim Harlequin, Tsaesci, Pellitine, and Elder Argonian because can't afford it) and will craft attractive quality and visually appealing training gear or combat sets for those interested. FREE gear for players below CP 160 (equivalent level of 210), and paid gear in some form from those CP 160 or higher.